The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2003, 02:28 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril **My costume for the RotK showing**

Did you attend the movie in costume? Please tell us about yours, what it looked like, who made it and what comments you got from others!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 03:37 AM   #2
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I made a cloak, wore a burgundy sweater with some brass-ish buttons, took along a hankerchief (I have allergies), wore a ring on a chain, and had my brooch with "do the wave for boromir the disco king" on it. My sister and I were the only ones who dressed up. I didn't hear anyone talking about us. Huh.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:58 AM   #3
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Old 12-17-2003, 06:41 AM   #4
Lord Elrond
Animated Skeleton

Lord Elrond has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I went as (surprise) Elrond in battle costume. My picture can be seen under buffalonews.com then go to pictures and type in Hody for keyword. I made my own pair of leather boots as well as all the fabric pieces. I put together 13,000 chain links for the mail armor and used illustration board coated with fiberglass to make the plate armor. I went with 27 others in full costume even though the picture only shows a few. We had all the main characters except Denathor, Theoden, Grima, and three ringwraiths. Most of the costumes were amazing.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:11 AM   #5
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I wore a pair of grey/black jeans and a black sweater which looks kinda Middle-earth-like under an amazing cloak that my friend's mum made for me. Eternally grateful Siri It's black wool with a red ribbon with silver decorations on it, with a pointed hood that goes all the way down to the hips. Love that cloak, picture coming asap. I also wore the Ring on a chain, and a pair of heavy winter boots (didn't go very well with the Hobbit look, looked more mannish, but there's no way I'm walking barefoot in December..). The cinema gave out free tickets and a LotR keyring to all who came in costumes, but we weren't very many... I'm in tomorrow's newspaper, they always like interviewing the most fanatic...
Old 12-17-2003, 12:15 PM   #6
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The only dressing up I was able to do was to put on a dark green coat, and my elven boots and to wear my ring on a chain. Reason: I had just got home from moving scenery in a musical theatre production. If I get to see it again, I'm dressing up. In our theatre, I saw at least 4 people in cloaks, and a wonderful Galadriel costume.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:27 PM   #7
Nibinlondwen
Pile O'Bones

Nibinlondwen has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I was dressed as an elf, in green hood and shirt and grey pants, with homesewn leatherboots and armleathers. My friends looked fantastic.<BR>We worked together with the sewing, and they ofcourse bought some fake ears. An old fanatic started crying, she was so touched by our costumes, and she kinda loved us.<p>[ 1:30 PM December 17, 2003: Message edited by: Nibinlondwen ]
Old 12-17-2003, 12:29 PM   #8
Gashberz
Haunting Spirit

Gashberz has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gashberz
Sting

Well I was in downtown Sand Diego, and when I went in evryone was dressed up it was awesome. I just wore a frodo costume and I went with my grandpa and he made himself a very good gandalf costume. Hes a tailor so of course it was nice and it was more realistic cause of the real beard. Oh he made me my frodo costume! it was sooo fun!
Old 12-17-2003, 05:06 PM   #9
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've said my costume before but am always glad to repeat it. I was Eowyn and wore her shieldmaiden outfit (done lovely by, once again, my aunt). I added a brown cape to it (thanks to Em for sewing it!) and a nice cheap plastic sword (I'm poor ). I didn't really get any compliments (except by the people I went with) because wow, let's just the SLC line party had GREAT costumes! I was so confident about mine and when I arrived I felt almost plain (my costume isn't that plain but compared...). We even had a man dressed up as Gollum; crawling around on all fours! There were people dressed up as Orcs (they looked so real and convincing!!!!) and there were even two people who dressed up as the two towers! Let's just say I was fairly outnumbered. I'm still blown away by it all!

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:11 PM   #10
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

I didn't really go in costume. But I did wear my home-made LOTR shirt, on which I painted a mural of all the characters. :P I also wore my ring on a chain.<P>I didn't see anyone</b> in costume at all, when I went. :\ Isn't that sad?
Old 12-17-2003, 10:11 PM   #11
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

I wore my Eowyn-style dress, my Arwen cloak I finished this morning before rushing off to the movie and my elven boots.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:54 AM   #12
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

I got compliments on being a "well-dressed elf" and things like that, and plenty stares. <P>But the funny thing was, the only unusual thing I was wearing for me was the Lorien-pinned brown cloak over top of it all. My hair did have two smallish braids in it but I do that most days. The rest was normal clothes that I wear to work: brown knit pants, socks, & birkenstocks, white linen shirt (from Elf-mart no less, twelve bucks), green corderoy "hobbit" jacket. (Doesn't anybody recognize a hobbit-jacket when they see one? Oh well, it WAS covered by the cloak...)<P>Enorëiel, what an amazing expericnce; what town/city/state were you in??? Nobody got that wild in Rhode Island...<p>[ 9:57 AM December 18, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 12-18-2003, 12:35 PM   #13
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

I had one guy at a store in the mall asked what I was dressed up as. My friend introduced me as 'her friend Arwen,' and he said I was a hobbit! Oh well. At least he recognized me as a LotR fan, anyways!
Old 12-18-2003, 02:43 PM   #14
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like my costume best.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:53 PM   #15
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm shocked! I thought tons of people were going to be dressing up all over but from what I'm hearing from you guys there weren't as many as I had suspected! Wow! <P>Mark12_30, I went to the Salt Lake City (Utah) Line party. It was amazing! Guess I was lucky to see so many costumes!

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 05:28 PM   #16
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

WOW!!! Lord Elrond, that was such a cool picture!! I assume you're the one in blue and gold. <A HREF="http://www.merlin-net.com/search/PhotoSearch.asp?QueryString=Hody&FriendlyKeywords= " TARGET=_blank>Here's</A> a link to the pic. I wore my lovely white Éowyn dress to school and to the movie. Lots of people didn't believe that I sewed it myself. Most people didn't realize that I was dressed as Éowyn, possibly because I'm not at all blond -- my hair looks just like Rosie's, except it's reddish-brown. Lots of people thought I was supposed to be Arwen, including my English teacher. When he saw me, he said "Don't give up your immortality, it's not worth it!" Fortunately the girl at my school named Arwen figured out who I was supposed to be. I even got asked once if I was supposed to be Gandalf! (I assure you, I am completely beardless and I was wearing a dress ) At the theater, my little brother and I were the only ones dressed up (he was Frodo), but we did see one lady wearing the Ring on a chain. We didn't take pictures last night, because the movie didn't get out until 11:30 pm, but we'll get all dressed up and take pictures this weekend. Then I have to get permission to put them up, and find someone who'll let me use their scanner. So it may be a while.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:42 AM   #17
TheBladeThatWasBroken
Animated Skeleton

TheBladeThatWasBroken has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheBladeThatWasBroken
Sting

I wore my Halloween costume of a Ringwraith and people kept thinking that I was there to promote the movie
Here I set it, but I command you not to touch it, nor to permit any other to lay hand on it. In this elvish sheath dwells the Blade that was Broken and has been made again. Telchar first wrought it in the deeps of time. Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil's sword save Elendil's heir.
TheBladeThatWasBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:05 PM   #18
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My husband and I and a friend went in costume to both showings that we've managed to get to so far--he was a cobbled together Aragorn (I sewed a very rough tunic in 3 minutes and gathered a lot of military surplus clothing and adapted a Jedi robe I made years ago). I was Frodo--a slight variation on my everyday costume, oddly enough--a pair of pinned up navy pants with that peculiar closure that reminds me of hobbit pants (13 buttons! ugh!), white shirt with puffy sleeves, burgundy vest, frock style overgarment with added cuffs, and a grey cloak I bought at a yard sale...oh yes! Band-Aid Hobbit Ears and a badly done somewhat curly 'do! (My hair is elf-straight and looks not at all hobbitish in real life.) Our friend was a Warg with mask, feet, paws and a mean growl! (The kids loved her best of all!) Her favorite character was the Fell Beast upon which the Witch King rides...unique to say the least! I actually met another fan at the second showing who was a rabid Sam fan! (Usually everyone I meet is a Leggybopper!) And my husband was called "That crazy man" by a woman who entered the theatre bathroom, not knowing Frodo was in the next stall listening to her... . A man at the tiny town theatre told me I was a "good Frodo!" Yay! I got a compliment! I came so close to being Arwen, but my long black wig was torn up and frightful, so I defaulted to Frodo, which is pretty much my normal dress! <P>Cheers!<BR>Lyta<P>P.S. Wore long socks and flipflops...couldn't bring myself to go barefoot with the foot hair and all in December!<p>[ 1:07 PM December 23, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote