The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2004, 09:48 AM   #1
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Where are they?

I was looking through the site waiting for a thread to be responded to and I noticed there are thousands of registered members and yet a certain lack of active members the most members ever online was about 54 or so and the most I eversee online is about 20-30 and there are the regulars but what about the rest that never appear where are they? Why do we have so many members when so few appear?
Old 07-30-2004, 10:22 AM   #2
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Well, there are these things called "time zones". Whilst, when you are on, there are a certain group of "regulars" on as well, there is also another group of regulars that are asleep as it's four in the morning where they live, so they are not online. And some people have work or school, and so have a hard time being online frequently.

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 07-30-2004, 10:27 AM   #3
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420!

Yes but I have been on at nearly every hour of the dayexcept perhaps 6-7am(for me and I doubt all of them appear during that time
Old 07-30-2004, 10:36 AM   #4
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Actually, it looks like the most users ever online was 130. And that was two days ago. Not too bad for the regs. *shrug*

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 07-30-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ah so it has increased well thats good
Old 07-30-2004, 11:31 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quite a few of the many members registered long ago, read and/or posted briefly, then no longer frequented the Downs. There are many reasons - real life time issues, computer problems, loss of interest in Tolkien's books, no more new movies to look forward to, other online interests, etc. Some of those who were regulars a couple of years ago drop in very rarely now. That's life...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 07:44 AM   #7
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Yes, many people only stop by occasionally to post once or twice and then go on their way for another few months. I hate to admit that I'm one of these people, as I am often diverted by other things online.

However, the Downs will always be my little home on the 'net.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:40 PM   #8
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dűm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark
I was looking through the site waiting for a thread to be responded to and I noticed there are thousands of registered members and yet a certain lack of active members the most members ever online was about 54 or so and the most I eversee online is about 20-30 and there are the regulars but what about the rest that never appear where are they? Why do we have so many members when so few appear?
I remember a certain surge of members and active users when the movies came out...perhaps the fever has worn out for some Bloom lovers and such.
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 04:40 PM   #9
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
White Tree

Which is a very good thing for our eyes and our (remaining) sanity. No more "OMG!!!1!!11 Orli IZ SooO HAWt!!!11". Huzzah!
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 05:17 PM   #10
Calathanien
Pile O'Bones

Calathanien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Calathanien
i used to come on barrow downs though i never posted to much out of fear! and this is first time i have been on to the barrow downs in a verry long time, due to the fact i havent had time really. so when i read this post it kind of made me laugh cause in a way it applied to me aswell as a lot of other members as i am one of those that rarely comes on and when i do i dont post much if at all
Old 07-31-2004, 06:31 PM   #11
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
White Tree

I know what you mean, I'm finally back after a long, long absence. It's a bit weird because the entire site format has changed on me, and most of my friends have left.

That's what new friends are for, eh?
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 08:45 PM   #12
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm relatively new to the Downs, so it's tons of fun for me. As long as there are other Tolkienites out there I don't think I'll get bored of them.

InklingElf, I adore your avatar! Leonard Nimoy is uber-cool. ::sings the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins::
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 05:25 AM   #13
Calathanien
Pile O'Bones

White Tree

i know what you mean Morgul Queen, all the friends i sort of had or people i new were freindly have gone. o well as you say thats what new friends are for. and the layout has changed alot, but its all good.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:43 AM   #14
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
The time zones can be a problem, especially in the quiz & quotes rooms. A lot of the posts are written about 3 or 4 AM on my time, so questions are often asked and answered while I sleep.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:05 PM   #15
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I think that now the third movie has been and gone with relatively little hype, there's nothing to excite fans into... well, fanaticism. A lot of members joined with the movie craze, but if they're not a big fan of the books, they're losing interest and moving on to new things. I noticed that on a lot of sites that hadn't been set up to focus on the books, there was much less activity in the past few months.

Other than that, it's just a timezone thing. I know a lot more American Lotr fans than any other nationality, and if you adjust your timing to match theirs, there's a whole lot more activity going on.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:38 PM   #16
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

It's interesting because The membership on this site skyrocketed while the movies were popular I myself stumbled upon the site because I was trying to doa report onTolkien's envolvement in WW1 dfidn't find much but did find this site so I was suppose the old saying is true every cloud has a silver lining
Old 08-02-2004, 04:01 PM   #17
FairLadyGoldberry
Pile O'Bones

FairLadyGoldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to FairLadyGoldberry
i am a frequent viewer to the barrow downs, however i rarely leave messages (just look at my pitiful total). i just like to read what other people have to say and let my knowledge of tolkien grow. i dont know if there are many others like me, but perhaps it seems there are less people on because some read and do not post.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:42 AM   #18
Calathanien
Pile O'Bones

Thumbs up

yes i am one of those that just reads posts but as i said before i had'nt been on the site for so long. i came across the site a while back in 2002 though i must confess it was mainly the movies which made me read the books, even tho my dad was presuring me to as i had read the Hobbit. only after i decided i wanted to see the movies did i read the books so i could compare whic bits were missing etc, but then as i read fellowship i came to the conclusion it was great and have been hooked ever since and read as much as i can which is tolkien related.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:25 PM   #19
Calathanien
Pile O'Bones

Question

ermmmm this topic is kinda old and no1 is posting on it anymore but thort i would post and ask. as i havent been on for ages the last i remember is that there was a languages forum, where did that go? did it evere exist? was it my imagination?
Old 08-16-2004, 12:03 PM   #20
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Calathanien, it wasn't your imagination. I think the language forum was incorporated into the Books forum; it isn't gone, it just got ... assimilated.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:39 PM   #21
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Quote:
and most of my friends have left.
I'm still here for ya, Morgy! *throws confetti at Morgul*

Quote:
Which is a very good thing for our eyes and our (remaining) sanity. No more "OMG!!!1!!11 Orli IZ SooO HAWt!!!11". Huzzah!
*celebrates* Consider the depletion of active members to be... a cleansing of the site. Not meaning the lurkers, or those who post only occasionally. It's the Leggie-boppers (those who behave as demonstrated by Morgul) who leave and never return who aren't really missed.

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 12-04-2004, 01:56 PM   #22
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

since even I now fit into this category of of few visit downers, why are all my favortie threads dieing? hmmm? do you need me posting up to 78* timess a day to keep things moving along?

*I actually have one day where I posted 78 times during that week my avergae was like 65(not total just for that week)
Old 12-04-2004, 03:15 PM   #23
Calathanien
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Calathanien, it wasn't your imagination. I think the language forum was incorporated into the Books forum; it isn't gone, it just got ... assimilated.
assimilated it sounds so scary lol!
Old 12-05-2004, 12:15 AM   #24
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

Well we can't see many members online all at ones , is as you folks said is the time-zone. Well I will add to it and say that this does exist , because I live in India and its about 12 hours behind or ahead something USA time,so when I am online there are about at maximum 22 members online and that's frustrating cause you cannot discuss your RPG's and all the other threaqds and you cannot make any friends except the 22 people who are online .
Old 12-05-2004, 01:21 PM   #25
manaratowen
Pile O'Bones

manaratowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to manaratowen
Quote:
i just like to read what other people have to say and let my knowledge of tolkien grow.
i am guilty of lurking. but because of the time differences, most things are poted then answered by the next time i get on. so i generally read and let my knowledge grow. though i haev to admit that yes, i came here because of the movies, but reading the many questions and answers, my intrest inthe books grew, so now im reading the histories books.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:47 PM   #26
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I also tend to lurk, albeit unintentionally. Often I'll only post when I feel like I have something to contribute that hasn't been said already by somebody much more articulate than I am. Since there are many intelligent, articulate folks on this site, I often just end up casually reading what's being said by others, occasionally contributing my two-cents-worth when I feel it might be helpful. Huzzah to lurkers!

Seriously, wouldn't you rather have me lurking if I had nothing more constructive to say than "Legolas is sooooooooooooooooo hot"?
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:44 AM   #27
Calathanien
Pile O'Bones

White Tree

i tend to lurk as i feel scared to say anything as evryone tends to be more knowledgable than me on this site as much as i like to call myself a tolkien fan and i dont want to look al wierdoish by being all stupid about stuff.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #28
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I miss "The Perky Ent" "Firefoot"... "Bombadil" "H-I" where have you all gone?...
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #29
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Aah... Perky Ent... I used to love roleplaying with him

Where now the wights in their barrows? where are the posts that were posted?
Where is the clatter of typing and the green letters flowing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days of Barrowdown's glory have gone down behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead threads burning,
Or behold the flowing years from the movie-released days of yore returning?
Eorl of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #30
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

For anyone who cares, I'm quitting the Downs, It's simply not the Nice Place it used to be. To those who are still wonderful I thank You.

Fare Well
Old 05-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #31
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
For anyone who cares, I'm quitting the Downs, It's simply not the Nice Place it used to be. To those who are still wonderful I thank You.

Fare Well
I'm very sorry to hear that, Morsul. I don't know what specifically prompted you to make this decision, but as far as I'm concerned you're a valued part of the Downs and you're welcome back any time.
If your path leads you in a different direction, farewell indeed.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #32
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:

Fare Well

You could just quit Werewolf...
Old 05-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #33
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:

Fare Well
Aww. I'm sorry you feel like that. I hope that, if you don't feel you can stay, you at least can come back someday.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:38 AM   #34
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:

Fare Well
Please don't! If you're frustrated with WW, okay, that's understandable (still a pity, after modding a great game yourself!), but quitting the Downs because of that seems a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. We haven't known each other that long or that well, but I'd definitely miss you.
Maybe you just need a break and a little distance, I don't know. If so, take it... but do come back!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:44 AM   #35
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'll most likely still visit but my participation will go Way down. although I am frustrated with WW. It was one, far overzealous, personal attack, which prompted this decision. As shocking as it is, it's not from the person I'd expected to push me over the edge.

I thank you all for the thoughts, and I will be back... someday. But at least for a month or so I need to be away.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #36
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Aw. Defiantly come back!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #37
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Not sure what happened in the WW thread, I haven't played in ages, but I hope it's not a reason to leave the BD.

Anyway, hope you return soon from your sabbatical.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #38
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Look at me, I felt the same way and took a five year sabbatical, and now I'm back to stay.
Some things just never leave you, and Barrow-Downs is one of them.
Leave if you must, Morsul, I do not know you well enough to question your decision, but I hope to see you back here someday!
Eorl of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote