The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

FerniesApple has just left Hobbiton.
The 12th Doctor

Hi I dont know if non Tolkien related topics are allowed here so I am sorry if this is breaking any rules, its not a deliberate attempt to provoke. I am genuinely not sure.
Anyhoo if there are any fellow Whovians here maybe we could discuss the new Doctor, Peter Capaldi and the new episodes on BBC1.

My first impressions were the new episode called Deep Breath was weak. The first half was pretty boring and I nearly switched off but I stuck with it and it got better. The second half picked up in interest as Jenna Coleman as Clara was allowed to act for the first time, which is saying something seeing as she had been in one Whole season with very little character development. But Clara carried the show and very well acted too. Just showed how underused her talents were before. She suddenly became a real person rather than a plot device.

unfortunately this became one of the big negatives for me. Because Moffats episodes during the Smith era were very plot led, the characters being used to further the whizz bang fast pace the personality of the assistant didnt matter so much, it was a case of witty one liners shot off at speed, not very deep and meaningful. But now this new episode seemed to be wanting to be character driven, lots of time getting to know Capaldi and Clara as a team, the story was secondary, so it wasnt too surprising that the villains and plot were not too brilliant as they were just there in the background, what was important was the Doctor and Clara, getting to know each other. The problem is that Clara while being much more fleshed out just isnt as interesting a character as Donna or Rose once the 'Impossible Girl' thing has been discarded, she remains a bit bland so the whole episode fell flat.
Either they go back to shallow whizzbang or they get a more interesting assistant.

Capaldi was good, better than Smith, no more flirting, no more hugging, thats better. I like his maturity and alienness, his introduction started off with a boring very plodding sequence, very lacklustre indeed, but he got better, by the time they were in the restaurant this new Doctor had me sold. He is unknowable in a good way.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The site has quite a strict policy against off-topic subjects, current events, politics, etc. Unless the topic deals directly with Tolkien, or at least has a strong rationale on a comparative basis, then I'm afraid the thread is due for quick extinction. Sorry to say, but I fear Dr. Who is bound for oblivion.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

oh dear thats a shame, its fantasy as well.

they go on Quests to save the world every week.

The Doctor can die and come back to life in another form like Gandalf

are you convinced yet?
Old 08-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Here's a good topic proposal: How do you like the new Doctor episodes compared to the new "canon" films (ei The Hobbit)? You'd get to discuss the positives of one and the negatives of the other. Or you could compare/contrast it with either the books or the movies.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

suppose I could give it a go, anything is better than having the thread blasted into the ethersphere.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

Nobody seems to like Who here so you might as well zap my thread, its a waste of time.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerniesApple View Post
Nobody seems to like Who here so you might as well zap my thread, its a waste of time.
You are quite mistaken. I have never seen Doctor Who, but I know so many jokes about it thanks to this site. Not everybody visits the site every day, a bunch of sure Whovians just haven't visited for a while. Let the thread sit a bit. Why don't you kick it off with some The Doctor Hobbit analysis, or whatever you feel like? Or some funny cross-jokes that involve both canons?
Old 08-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

I cant think of any Who/Tolkien comparisons they are like comparing apples and er dunno ...timey wimey wormhole thingies.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I was made to watch since my sister was visiting me for the Bank Holiday weekend... I liked the series when I was a wee lass back in the Tom Baker days and would hide behind the sofa but haven't been at all grabbed by the revival. And I am still not bothered by the series though I adored Peter Capaldi.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 08-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
FerniesApple
Haunting Spirit

have you watched any NuWho? Tennant and Donna? I think its very entertaining, she is brilliant.
Closed Thread