The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2018, 09:12 AM   #3321
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
SOLOSIMPI, the pipers of the shores?

And could number 1 be AELFWINE? (Hesitant, because it's not really a cryptic answer).

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 02-25-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #3322
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

7. LIMPE, the drink of the Eldar.

LIMP for pathetic, plus a bit of 'eh' - or something that sounds the same as 'eh?'

Could the password just be LOST TALE?

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 02-25-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:02 PM   #3323
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
L 1. - Each of his tales contains a small core of truth.
O 2. - Their blade twists in the deep waters; it does not heed the foam above.
S olosimpi - Each began alone, but their simple tunes grew together.
T 4. - "It's like steel wool," said the king, "but worse, and pre-cut for us."
T 5. - From scourge of the north to a whisper in the dark, the prince's sad fate.
A lalminórë - Twice walled in mithril (well, almost), a small region of fair woodlands.
L impë - Like miruvor, it's pathetic, eh?
E riol - Hesitant, the sailor erratically greased his boat.

Yes, no, yes, and yes. 'Simpi' is intended to be linked from 'simple [tunes]'; 'Limpe' is exactly as you said (and could plausibly be pronounced 'Limp, eh?'). But #1 isn't Aelfwine; it does contain a cryptic clue.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #3324
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Maybe 2 is OARITSI. According to the glossary of Lost Tales I, they are mermaids, and 'oarni' are sea-spirits, but I'll go for 'oaritsi' because it has some of the word 'twists' in it.

Oar = blade in this context?
Old 02-25-2018, 03:59 PM   #3325
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oar = blade, but it's not Oaritsi. The clue isn't just 'twists', but 'twists IN', so... maybe reconsider your choice?

hS
Old 02-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #3326
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oarni, then.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #3327
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

L 1. - Each of his tales contains a small core of truth.
O arni - Their blade twists in the deep waters; it does not heed the foam above.
T 5. - From scourge of the north to a whisper in the dark, the prince's sad fate.
A lalminórë - Twice walled in mithril (well, almost), a small region of fair woodlands.

Yep. There's another word (Falmarini or Wingildi) for the sea-spirits of the foam, hence the distinction in the clue. I dunno, to be honest I'm still baffled that at one point, Tolkien put actual mermaids in Middle-earth.

3 to go! All 3 are personal names; one of them is in English, the other two in some form of Elvish.

hS
Old 02-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #3328
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hs, can you tell me why Alalminore is twice walled? Is it the double Al, or were there two gates?
Old 02-25-2018, 04:56 PM   #3329
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

It's the Al+Al, yeah. I was going for the image of 'to get through the word you have to pass Aluminium twice', and that was the best I came up with.

hS
Old 02-26-2018, 03:21 AM   #3330
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I have a feeling that the remaining answers may be in The Book Of Lost Tales 2, but both my copies are behind teetering piles of books, and reaching one of them also requires standing on a sofa, which is also piled with books.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:42 AM   #3331
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

I think they all are, yes. Sorry about that. :-/

hS
Old 02-26-2018, 08:24 AM   #3332
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Managed to rescue one of them without causing a book avalanche (yet).

Is 5 Tevildo, prince of cats?
Old 02-26-2018, 08:41 AM   #3333
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

If tales can be taken to be lies, perhaps 1 could be LAURUNDO or LAURUNTO. 'Forms of the name of Glorund [Glaurung] in Eldarissa.'

Glaurung was indeed a liar, but he sometimes spoke truth, rather than always a bit of it. And this answer wouldn't be cryptic.

HOWEVER

You said one of the remaining names was in English. There is LITTLEHEART - maybe LIE for tales, T for truth and HEART for core.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 02-26-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:43 AM   #3334
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

L ittleheart - Each of his tales contains a small core of truth.
O arni - Their blade twists in the deep waters; it does not heed the foam above.
T evildo - From scourge of the north to a whisper in the dark, the prince's sad fate.

Tevildo's cats were a major power in Tolkien's early works; by the time of LotR, cats' main claim to fame was that Queen Beruthiel had some - remembered mostly in a saying (whisper) about finding your way home in the dark. Poor Prince Tevildo (though that's what you get if your name literally contains the word 'EVIL').

And Littleheart - your reasoning is amazing! Mine was much simpler: he's a tale-teller, and his name can be literally translated as 'Small Core'.

Just one to go! #4 includes a terrible, terrible pun, but to be honest once you figure out which part is the straight clue there's only a few options even without the cryptic parts.

hS
Old 02-26-2018, 10:02 AM   #3335
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinwelint?

Tin lint for steel wool?

Prototype of Thingol, I believe.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #3336
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

L ittleheart - Each of his tales contains a small core of truth.
T inwelint - "It's like steel wool," said the king, "but worse, and pre-cut for us."
T evildo - From scourge of the north to a whisper in the dark, the prince's sad fate.

[Theme: Abandoned/Changed Words from the BoLT]

And there we have it. Tin lint, cut or split by 'we' (as in us).

Back to you, I believe.

hS
Old 02-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #3337
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mine isn't as scholarly as yours, I'm afraid. In fact, it's possibly even sillier than my last one. But I hope you enjoy it.

Regarding my last password - I forgot to say how surreal it looked, seeing 'Mmm 's'Taters' on posts from both you and Galadriel, as I hadn't realised the answers formed this 'alternative' password if you ignored the 'early start' element of clue two.

Anyway, here goes:

1. Sounds like a pain, to bake.
2. Prohibition is lifted from the banana dessert, but the beverage has a calorific and early start.
3. Slang peepers or Yule pastries?
4. Very disrespectful slang for Elessar? Or a raspberry preserve running backwards?
5. Drink favoured by Macbeth’s sozzled gatekeeper, who jumps in early?
6. One so-hearted might indeed run backwards!
7. Sounds like Ereinion, on a plate!

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 02-26-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #3338
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

I like the silly ones! I'm afraid I've spent far too long thinking about BoLT; I didn't realise how tricky it would be.

Anyway, this: I'm gonna start things off with two guesses.

#1: is it simply PAN, which sounds exactly like French 'pain', and can be used for baking?

#2: A banana dessert is a banana split = break, so the calorific and early start could be BREAKFAST? I can't fit the rest of the clue, though.

hS
Old 02-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #3339
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Not pan, but you're on the right kind of lines with 'sounds like.'

EDIT: You need to do a bit of synonym work first ... perhaps.

Wrong banana dessert - can you think of a more modern one? Or one adopted relatively recently in the UK? Then think about calorific start, but don't worry about the 'early start' for the moment.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 02-26-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #3340
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Aha! Banoffee loses its ban, and gains a C from Calorific to give COFFEE. The password letter is presumably O?

(For #1, I'm currently far enough down the rabbithole that I'm considering suggesting baked cow... )

hS
Old 02-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #3341
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Indeed! Starts early by one letter, and with the 'earliest' letter of 'calorific.'

For 1, think less Desperate Dan, more hobbitlike.

1. Sounds like a pain, to bake.
COFFEE: Prohibition is lifted from the banana dessert, but the beverage has a calorific and early start.
4. Very disrespectful slang for Elessar? Or a raspberry preserve running backwards?
7. Sounds like Ereinion, on a plate!

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 02-26-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:46 PM   #3342
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

I had forgotten Cow Pie until this moment. You villain.

... ah, wait. A pain is an ache, and you bake a CAKE. In particular you bake a seed-cake, which always sounded really nice but I have no idea what it actually is.

And #7 is surely Ereinion Gil-SALAD, which is like a Caesar Salad but much shinier?

hS
Old 02-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #3343
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yes - cake sounds like both ache and bake.

CAKE: Sounds like a pain, to bake.
COFFEE: Prohibition is lifted from the banana dessert, but the beverage has a calorific and early start.
SALAD: Sounds like Ereinion, on a plate!
Old 02-26-2018, 09:21 PM   #3344
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
#4. I'll hazard a guess at Jam (or Maj, backwards), which sounds like gem. To be honest, Elessar the stone was very disrespectfully called a piece of elvish glass, and Elessar the man was then also implied to be a brigand of the hills, but neither one makes a preserve.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:04 AM   #3345
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MAJ (RASPBERRY): Very disrespectful slang for Elessar? Or a raspberry preserve running backwards?

Yes, Maj as in 'Her Maj,' (sometimes used as slang shorthand for Elizabeth II). 'Very disrespectful' because Elessar's times seem much more formal. I hadn't thought of jam sounding a bit like 'gem.'

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 02-27-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:46 AM   #3346
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

I feel like 'slang peepers' must be PIES, as in mince pies, but that means the password would begin 'copm'. So maybe it's MINCE PIES itself, though I can't really imagine them in Tolkien's writings.

hS
Old 02-27-2018, 12:53 AM   #3347
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MINCE-PIES: Slang peepers or Yule pastries?
MAJ (RASPBERRY): Very disrespectful slang for Elessar? Or a raspberry preserve running backwards?

Yes, mince-pies, (slang for eyes).

All these foods and drinks do occur in Tolkien, but you may have forgotten where.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:14 AM   #3348
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Well, all the ones we've got come from four successive lines in The Hobbit, during the Unexpected Party. Sadly I'm going to have to take us back nearly a whole page to find PORTER, which is both Macbeth's gate-guard and, I guess, another name for Port (#5). Early start suggests O for the password.

Is the password COMMONS, as in Short Commons?

hS
Old 02-27-2018, 01:30 AM   #3349
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

PORTER: Drink favoured by Macbeth’s sozzled gatekeeper, who jumps in early?
N: One so-hearted might indeed run backwards!

THEME: Specific foods and drinks served at Bilbo's 'Unexpected Party.'
PASSWORD: COMMONS

The only somehow-related word I could get to work as a password for these items was indeed COMMONS (as in short commons or rations). Again, a word I first came across in Tolkien (and nowhere else, I think, except in 'Brideshead Revisited.') I had to use the 2nd letter of a couple of the answers even then (and put two others in backwards).

Porter is apparently a very brown and malty beer, as well as an unnamed gatekeeper who provides the nearest equivalent of anything humorous found in 'Macbeth.'

One to go!

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 02-27-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:59 AM   #3350
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Ah, of course! Favoured by Gandalf the Grey and Movie!Denethor, a CHICKEN-hearted fellow (such as Bilbo might seem to be) could well run backwards, perhaps even blubbering NEKCIHC! Though he would admittedly seem very strange while doing so.

I admit I only got this by scouring the chapter for any food with an N at the end.

Were you by any chance hungry when coming up with these?

hS
Old 02-27-2018, 05:23 AM   #3351
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, I used the glossaries in the two Books of Lost Tales, so I guess we're quits.

PORTER: Drink favoured by Macbeth’s sozzled gatekeeper, who jumps in early?
NEKCIHC: One so-hearted might indeed run backwards!

THEME: Specific foods and drinks served at Bilbo's 'Unexpected Party.'
PASSWORD: COMMONS

To answer your question ... well, as my name suggests, I am quite hobbitlike, (a very Tookish hobbit, mind). But having come up with the 'Mim's Taters' idea from a recent perusal of 'Unfinished Tales,' (where I also found the name Nuneth to help with my mothers-and-daughters one), I decided to also try to make one exclusively concerning the Unexpected Party. So I was sort of writing them concurrently, sharing the clues between the two.

Well done, and over to you!
Old 02-27-2018, 06:24 AM   #3352
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Okay.

You're going to hate me.

1. Legolas Greenleaf
2. I came in the autumn
3. Morrowless
4. Home is behind, the world ahead
5. Hey dol! Merry dol!
6. Here beyond the Sundering Seas (2nd letter)
7. In the dim morning

There is a very strong theme to the answers; I realise there are many possible answers to each clue, but you need to peg them to the theme.

hS
Old 02-27-2018, 06:28 AM   #3353
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

7. From dark Dunharrow ...
Old 02-27-2018, 06:37 AM   #3354
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

None of those words are the answer.

hS
Old 02-27-2018, 06:58 AM   #3355
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
There seems to be a poem or song association with the phrases. But I can't see a distinct password that could make sense with any of my guesses for clues. This one will be an interesting one to solve.

I'm going to approach it by throwing out a couple performers of these words - Tom Bombadil for 5 and I believe Galadriel for 2. Not having books means I can't check it the standard way, and I don't wanna google the quotes.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:08 AM   #3356
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Neither of those names are the answers. (And in fairness, I should note that any theme in the questions may not match the theme of the answers.)

hS
Old 02-27-2018, 07:16 AM   #3357
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

3. Numenor (because it's gone).
Old 02-27-2018, 07:19 AM   #3358
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Not Numenor.

(Because of the nature of the questions and answers, it's hard for me to offer many clues for specific questions; I do have some 'general hints' to dole out if it turns out to be too tricky, but I'm holding onto them for now.)

hS
Old 02-27-2018, 07:29 AM   #3359
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I suppose we need to work out what these lines have in common, other the obvious. Hmmn...

Edit for benefit of those without books handy: the "obvious" is that they are all lines from poems or songs in "Lord of the Rings". But there are many other songs in that book, and I can't see why these have been singled out.

Last edited by Nerwen; 02-27-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:38 AM   #3360
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I suppose we need to work out what these lines have in common, other the obvious. Hmmn...

Edit for benefit of those without books handy: the "obvious" is that they are all lines from poems or songs in "Lord of the Rings". But there are many other songs in that book, and I can't see why these have been singled out.
[Encouraging nods]