The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2003, 05:55 PM   #1
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril **RotK - Elrond (Hugo Weaving)**

Hugo Weaving's performance in with Liv Tyler's was quite touching - I really felt sorry for Elrond, especially in the end when he gave Arwen's hand over to Aragorn. It was a happy, bittersweet moment that along with so many had me nearly sobbing!<P>Oh I didn't see a topic for Elrond/Hugo Weaving so I started this thread - if I am wrong please point me to the right thread!<P>[ 6:57 PM December 17, 2003: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]<P>(Title edited by moderator to 'official' status) You're right, Arathiriel, Elrond was forgotten - thanks for remembering him!<p>[ 11:45 AM December 18, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
Old 12-18-2003, 10:38 AM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There isn't a topic for him, so this'll likely be changed to an official thread.<P>All I can say about Elrond is...<P>He smiled!! For the first time in the trilogy, he smiled! Properly!
Old 12-18-2003, 11:55 AM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

It just goes to show how brilliant Hugo Weaving is when he can summon all the right emotions into one facial expression. See the scene where Aragorn spots him at the coronation for this.<P>Hopefully we'll get a little more resolution of Elrond's relationship with Arwen in the Extended Edition.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:34 PM   #4
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>It just goes to show how brilliant Hugo Weaving is when he can summon all the right emotions into one facial expression. See the scene where Aragorn spots him at the coronation for this.<P>Hopefully we'll get a little more resolution of Elrond's relationship with Arwen in the Extended Edition.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree and we can certainly hope we will get more of a resolution between Elrond and Arwen in the extended version. I mean from the trailer I know they cut some dialogue between them as in the trailer Elrond said something about not being able to protect Arwen anymore as she had given away her life's grace...<P>But yes, I felt so sorry for Elrond at the coronation because he was nearly in tears as he gave Arwen over to Aragorn - Hugo Weaving played that scene beautifully if you ask me - he was clearly sad but it was also a very bittersweet moment!
Old 12-21-2003, 10:48 AM   #5
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I thought the most heart stinging moment between Elrond and Arwen was when Elrond said to Arwen, "Your hands are cold. The life of the Eldar is leaving you." The look of fear on his face looked genuine.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 11:36 PM   #6
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

I can forgive Hugo Weaving everything (and I really didn't like him in TTT) for that one look that he gives Aragorn at the coronation, when peek-a-boo Arwen appears.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:03 AM   #7
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I can forgive Hugo Weaving everything (and I really didn't like him in TTT) for that one look that he gives Aragorn at the coronation, when peek-a-boo Arwen appears.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh good! Others noticed this look too! I noted this particular Elrond look as one of the powerful, poignant moments in the Powerful, Poignant Moments thread somewhere around here...it totally blindsided me and made me love Hugo's Elrond, even though I've been calling him "Grumpy Old Elrond" for a long time before that! He came around nicely! <P>Cheers!<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:19 AM   #8
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I saw RoTK tonight for the second time and I was even more touched by Hugo Weaving's performance then I was the first time. <P>I tell you when Elrond goes to see Aragorn to take him the sword, the look on his face when he says "I am here on behalf of one I love..." wow his expression spoke volumes of angst!<P>Also at the end, at the coronation, I cried a little when I saw Elrond's face - give his daughter up was clearly one of the most soul-rendering yet bittersweet things he has clearly ever had to do!<P>Yes, I was <B>very</B> touched by Hugo's performance!
Old 12-22-2003, 02:44 AM   #9
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gosh I was so happy that Elrond was actually at the corination. I thought because of all the tension between him and Arwen that maybe he would not be there.<P>I though the performance was good. And I too liked him better in this movie than I did in the others. I did love him at the corination, and at the Grey Havens, and everywhere in between.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:04 PM   #10
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

The expression on Elrond's face at Aragorn and Arwen's wedding completely made up for all his grumpiness in the other two movies. My dad said that he got all choked up because that expression was just 100% father. We could tell that Elrond was giving up his only daughter to a mortal, but that look of bittersweet happiness just melted my heart!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:53 AM   #11
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
Ai, I know what you mean. I just got back from RotK (Yay, the Embassy. We were all cheering like at a Rugby game or sumat) and fell in love with Elrond...again. Those eyebrows of his...just wonderful. I have to admit it though, I broke down when Elrond said to Aragorn: 'Onen i-Estel Edain.'<BR>And Aragorn replied: 'U-chebin estel anim.'<P>Not to mention the whole scene on the citadal, mainly because you have all mentioned it <P>I was wondering, however, where on Middle-earth Elrond went after he gave Anduril to Aragorn. I mean, he's there, then he isn't. Hopefully that'll all be cleared up in the EE, eh?!
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 05:32 AM   #12
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No one seems to have mentioned Erond's change of face when Arwen gently turns her head towards him whilst they are discussing her choice in Rivendell. The change from sadness/depression to love in his look was startling, and his best acting in the film in my opinion. Jackson's ability to get his actors to show so mmuch in a look is amazing. His best directing in this is Eoywn's look whilst Aragorn drinks from the Cup she has given him.<P>Whoops, going off a tangent. Must stop!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote