Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2004, 11:14 AM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Narya Search for Rhûn RPG

Prologue - Arvedui III's post

The first thing he remembered, very dimly, was the old instructor, scolding him over a small cut.

‘It's painful' he had cried in a pitiful, childish moan that is a plea for older, stronger beings to take pity and speak words of love and comfort. But the shriveled, scared weapons-master instead gave him a hard slap across the face. ‘Painful!?!' He had roared. ‘Fool boy. You do not know the meaning of pain!' As he lay in the cold darkness, unable to master his body even to the point of opening his eyes, he thought then that he now had an idea as to what the old man had meant. The pounding of his temples would surely reach the point to where his head would explode like the fabled Orthanc fire of the great war. Every inch of him felt leaden, even though he had discarded his armor days ago. Had it been days? How long had he been lying here? And just where was here, anyway?

His questions overriding his apparent hurts, he opened his eyes, but not without a valiant struggle against his heavy eyelids. It also seemed every inch of his body wanted to sink back into sleep. The ghostly moonlight sulked into a crake of the jagged, black ceiling of wherever he was, a wet, sickening heat hovering all about the air, as if mocking what real air should be like, bent on tormenting all who could feel it. And it certainly was working. He felt like reaching, but pushed past the sensation for the moment to survey his surrounding. He appeared to be in a cave of some kind, but with only the moon for light he could not be sure of how high up he was or how deep the crevice ran. What surprised him, though, as he blinked in the darkness, was that he was not bound. Although, as he tried and failed to sit up, he realized whoever had brought him to this place didn't need chains to keep him here. His own body would betray him to that end, and quite honestly, he was too tired to care.

What little strength he had amassed in sleep was leaving him, but suddenly the blurred image of what perhaps had caused his pain and unconsciousness was not.

It was as if a torch had been lit in his pounding head. The glow...lights against the water...unceasing, merciless drums, hammering like the pounding of his head. And suddenly he was afraid and turned his head wildly around. What if they came back? The sensation of hard wood and leather being hit against his aching skin returned with the full force of a blow to his mind. Rather in vain, he tried to back away, to force his legs by shear fear and will to respond and speed him from this accursed place. He should never have come here. All the rush of dread and memory achieved however, was that he knocked his head against rock. He then lay still, a pit of fear welling in his stomach, pain seeping into his entire body, weariness finally claiming him. Just before he passed into darkness again, he thought with a sickening clarity that he fully understood what true pain the old teacher spoke of meant.

He knew that he was going to die here.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:16 AM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Himaran’s post

The sea was like nothing I have seen before, since my journey to the bay of Belfalas in 1294. It was an incredibly wide expanse of water, and the mountains to the north gave it a majestic appearance. The waves tumbled against the shore, and from whence they came I had little knowledge. But the most amazing aspect of Rhûn’s sea is the great body of sparkling lights which shine near its bottom - not pearls, but perhaps a new rock form. If it were so, it could be worth more than mithril, as it could only be found in one remote area throughout middle-earth.

Of Rhûn’s its inhabitants, I have seen only tracks, which I have painstakingly recorded. I for one met neither man nor beast on my travels, but I have traversed only a small portion of this strange land. It is hard country to say the least, and it took all of my skill and wit to navigate it.

“So you and your brother intend to go through with it?”

Bali the dwarf looked up from the his book, The Diary of Baren Longhelm, finding the gaze of his father set upon him. “Aye, that we do.”

“And how many will to be taking with you?”

The dwarf set the book down and stood, stretching his arms and neck. He took several prolonged gulps from a glass on the table near him before answering. “About eight; all good travelers and fighters. We couldn’t justify taking a larger group; as we are not going on a mining expedition.”

The elderly dwarf walked over to a window in the Ereborian chamber, which faced the southwest. “Rhûn. The hidden land, filled with riches far greater than those which have been mined from the Iron Hills; as the legends say. You and Dwalin must be careful, Bali. We have heard naught of anyone living there; or if they are friendly.”

Bali looked down at the book he had been studying. Baren Longhelm had been a great traveler, and had journeyed to ever corner of Middle Earth. Rhûn had been his last venture, and when he returned to civilization he had died shortly thereafter. The cause of his death was unknown.

“We will be careful, father. And remember, Dwalin is leading the party, not I. He asked me to go with him, and I could not refuse. We have our maps, and can travel both there and back safely enough. And of course, we have several excellent dwarves traveling with us, and if Baren did not meet any inhabitants, neither will we.”

~*~

The next morning was hot and hazy, typical of a summer in Erebor. Bali rose and dressed, hurrying downstairs for the meal. He spoke with other members of the group, who were saying goodbye to friends and family in the hall. They all agreed to leave by noon.

After the meal, Bali returned to his room and chose his weapons. Lifting the heavy Ereborian axe off its hanging place on the wall, Bali patted the sharp blade fondly and set it with the rest of his bags. Snatching several throwing hatchets from the closet, he attached them to his leather belt. Then, opening a small chest, he removed his prize weapon; a long, beautiful elvish knife encased in a magnificent golden sheath. It had been given to him by an elf from Greenwood many years before, and the dwarf threw it perfectly. Strapping it on his belt, he gathered his things and carried them down to the hall.

Dwalin was already there, greasing the exit hole on his crossbow. Bali eyed it nervously, unconsciously feeling the scar across his eye. It had been received by one of his brother’s arrows, which had been released from the weapon accidentally.

The dwarf looked up from his task, setting the bow aside. “Good, I am glad that you are ready. As soon as the others arrive, we can discuss our route and leave.”

“Do you much knowledge of the region?” Bali blurted out. The question had been bothering him since early that morning. “It is not wise to walk blindly into a new land.”

Dwalin looked down at a map spread out on the table; now covered with lines and scribbled writing. “The map shows clearly where the region lies, and even gives us details of its properties. See here? Mountains, and just south of there a forest. And here is the great sea. But remember, we may be the first group of adventurers to enter Rhûn. Do not think it odd that there are no detailed maps of this strange sea and its surroundings. Just imagine it, Bali; whether or not the mountains carry anything beyond iron in their roots, there is a sea. A sparkling ocean filled with pearls, worth greater than mithril itself!”

“That is one dwarf’s wild estimation, Dwalin; there may be little truth to these… legends.”

The gleam did not leave the young dwarf’s eye as he continued. “They are true, Bali - I assure you.”

Bali shrugged, sitting down at the table. It would be useless to try to convince Dwalin that the great riches thought to be at Rhûn could be nothing more than a myth. But the dwarf knew that his brother was set on finding treasure in a new land; and after all, maybe there was some truth to the legends. Either way, Bali was going, and so he pushed the worry to the back of his mind and waited for the others to arrive.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:17 AM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Dwalin sat in the staircases. He looked downwards trying to get a satisfying look of his short brown beard. Too bad it isn’t longer, he thought being disappointed. Everyone else had long beards. However, what annoyed him the most was the fact that he couldn’t actually get a proper look, or any look, of his chin; and therefore not where his beard started. The dwarf started making odd grimaces, turning his gigantic head in all directions. Nope, his chin couldn’t be seen. No matter what methods he used, it wasn't possible to get a glimpse of it. Chins are only an illusion, he thought, smiling. Dwalin giggled. He had in fact never thought of this before. It was indeed brilliant.

The dwarf soon remembered why he actually was sitting here, and he felt the hunger of gold and treasures lurk inside of him. Why was he sitting here, looking like a complete idiot, when there was gold to find, and adventure to start and the finding of Rhûn? However, in order to start his adventure, he needed companions; which, by the way, he already had arranged. Now he just had to wait, wait for them to come. No more ‘chin-nonsense’, he thought. He put up a grim face and started waiting instead.

Not long had passed before his brother, Bali, came hurrying down and found Dwalin. Dwalin had now settled by a table, with a huge map covering the table’s surface. They chatted for a while, looking at the map and discussing further. Dwalin paid attention, but in the back of his mind memories from his childhood disturbed the conversation he had with his brother. As a child, he remembered he thought of days like these; when he would at last would travel and find riches. He had dreamed long of an adventure, this adventure. However, Dwalin didn’t have the slightest idea of how it was going to be like; what he would experience or what they would find in the ancient kingdom of Rhûn.

The feeling of wind, cold as ice, ran down his back and the dwarf jumped up, eyes wide open. Bali turned towards his brother, “Nervous, Dwalin?” He giggled, but the anxiety in his voice could clearly be heard. Dwalin lied and said no. Bali, who could see through this lie, giggled some more. “Aww, it’s alright to be nervous, afraid, scared, ‘jumpy’, and all those things on ones first adventure,” he said, pitying him, but still enjoying this a bit. Big brothers were supposed to ‘tease’ the younger ones once in a while. Dwalin didn’t care and ignored Bali, who was only trying to try his humour on somebody.

They exchanged a few words, both rather excited now. Dwalin felt the urge of running out of the Hall and start his adventure at once, but this of course would lead to disaster. Bali looked at Dwalin, reading him as an open book. “We have to wait, dear brother,” he said, comforting.

Dwalin giggled as he heard footsteps…

Last edited by piosenniel; 04-06-2004 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Eruantalon's post

The hills gave way to Erebor under the lonely mountain. Seeing this sight again made Erulon's breath leave him. The mountain's beauty only grew with each day. Now he looked on it with older eyes - yet its roots grew stronger and its people greater. Life was good here in the dwarven kingdom. And his old friend would be meeting him soon for new adventures. As always, with the race of Aule, it was again about finding treasures. Yet this was no dark task. The promise of a good journey with old friends was high.

Now, to make sure his kind friend didn’t get in any harms way while on this journey. The promise of riches so great can often make one stray. But he knew the hearts of these people that they where not as subtle as many in middle earth. A kind and good race lived here under the mountain. They knew the value of what hard work can give one. And yet the grievances that can some times follow them.

Coming to the great gate he hailed the guards. They waved back with smiles and greeted him warmly, remembering the man from a great battle several years earlier. "Erulon you have come! Going off on the journey from what we hear. Make your way in now. You Your friend is with his father in the Great Hall.”

Making his way down into the city he caught many familiar faces. One who was vary familiar, and he crept up behind the dwarf while his back was turned. The man though tall could walk very quietly.

"Durin! You’re here! I see you're not off on this journey yet.”

“Ahh, good friend, what are you doing here? Bali just sent word out a few days ago! Good to see you here, though. We are making our way off tomorrow. Ready yourself, Erulon and prepare for a grand journey!”

“Indeed, my old friend! We’ll have enough time to talk. I see you have many things to take care of for now. We’ll be drinking good ale by a fire side soon!”

Few of the errands made for riches ended well. On the last journey there were many unforeseen dangers that almost killed him and the whole company. Hopefully, this journey with Bali would turn out better. “Always stay on guard,” he muttered to himself. Life in Erebor was fair, but the wilds of a far off land where ominous to say the least.

Bali was shocked that Erulon had arrived so early. They sat long into the night around the fire, discussing the journey that would occur in the morning. The dwarf confided of his worries with the man, explaining that they were leaving more on impulse than knowledge.

"Well, what does it matter, anyway?" replied the man. "We are exploring a new land, not going on a mining expedition. Any information we bring back will be valuable."

Later, Erulon made his way up to his room, aided by Kalin. He found a splendid array of food ready for him. The night was coming on fast and he would need to rest. Laying his arms up to the side of the bed he got comfortable in his room.

Just then a knock at the door came. Kalin’s face was light by a candle. “One more thing Erulon. The master has bid you to take a horse. He’s found one that you could use and thinks it best. You cannot ride on our animals since you’re too large. Would you come pick one early tomorrow?”

“Tell the Lord I appreciate his kindness and thank him. I will make my way down early in the morning and be there ready and saddled.” Nodding his head Kalin shut the door for the night then opened back up swiftly. “Ahh yes, did you need anything else my friend?”

“Just good nights sleep and the assurance of a ready breakfast tomorrow. Bread will be fine with milk if you can?”

“Very good! And good night.”
Old 04-05-2004, 11:20 AM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Carlas' post

The Sun was high in the air as Durin walked with his mother down the hot streets of Erebor. The sky was cloudless and the rich blue seemed even brighter than usual. Durin looked around at the buildings and roads around him, thinking about the last few years he had spent in Erebor. He loved it here, it was his home, but he needed to leave and explore the world outside again, like he had done years ago, with his father. Now though, he would not be with his father Dain since he had left to visit friends in Mirkwood a few months back, Durin was going to finally be responsible and be able to watch over himself instead. But, as much as he had always wanted just that, he couldn’t help but wishing that his father could come along to find Ruhn, the Land of Riches with him. It had been a myth for years, and now he and a group of dwarves were going to find Ruhn, and the legendary body of water with the shining lights, but his father would not be there.

Glis, his mother, looked over at him thoughtfully and smiled her warm smile that she kept especially for him. “Do not trouble about your father.” She said as though reading his mind. “He is getting on in years, as am I, and we know that you are ready to take care of yourself.” Durin nodded and stared at the ground in front of him. Glis stopped suddenly and took her son’s bearded face in her hands. “Your father and I are very proud of you. You are a strong and skilled dwarf, and you are going to go find Ruhn! Think of how pleased your father will be when he hears of where you are going, this journey is like no other you or anyone else will ever take. Be proud son.”

Durin looked up into his mother’s eyes and smiled from under his long beard. “But father will be even more proud when I bring him back a great sack of treasure!” Glis laughed and nodded. “Of course, but I better get a sack five times larger than his!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was nearly noon by the time Durin and his mother finally reached the Great Hall. They had walked around after their talk, and chatted about everything and anything, as Durin looked about the beautiful city one last time before leaving on his journey. He was sad to be leaving, but he was now becoming excited. Who knew what kind of things they would find in Ruhn, and from what he had heard, it sounded like a beauteous land.

He turned to face his aging mother who smiled kindly down at him. They didn’t say anything, and didn’t need to say anything. Durin knew his mother was sad to see him go, they had become very attached over the years, but Glis knew how important it was for Durin to finally be able to leave on his own and learn to be responsible for himself. She walked up to her son and embraced him tightly, not wanting to let go. As they pulled apart, she kissed him gently on the forehead.

Durin and his mother smiled sadly at eachother for a moment before he finally turned towards the Great Hall. Glis watched him walk away and silently whispered “Goodbye Durin, son of Dain, my son.”
Old 04-05-2004, 11:22 AM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Nilpaurion Felagund’s post

Narvi had received a letter. It told him of an expedition to Rhûn. Rhûn. A fitting name for a place little-known.

"Father," said he, "read this."

"Rhûn," Gimli said after setting down the missive. "I have heard of it in the writings of Baren Longhelm. A place full of riches, they say. This will be a journey any Dwarf will desire."

"Maybe," answered Narvi.

"I feel doubt in your words. Why is that?"

"This is a journey for miners and craftsmen, not one fit for a warrior."

"Ah, but the war is over. Peace now reign in all the lands. One must find new things to explore. Either you go, or you marry now."

"I am not ready for that." He sighed. "Very well. I shall go."

"If only I were a hundred years younger..." Gimli said.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:29 AM   #7
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Bestialán...

The short walk back to the room holding "the catch" seemed longer than it actually was, though Bestialán was not quite sure why. He quickly threw any distracting thought out of his mind and continued his slow walk. The door was not far ahead. As he soon arrived at the entrance, he raised his dragging head to find three persons, all of his race, standing at the door. One was a guard, named Kínadhen that had been there earlier. The others were two civilians of his community.

Bestialán gestured a "hello" at one of the by-standers, named Maulká, who happened to be looking his direction. Nephil, the other one standing at the door, stood against the wall with his eyes concentrating on what seemed like either the floor or whatever object he was holding in his hand that Bestialán could not see.

"Don't tell me all of you are here for this 'catch' as well?" Bestialán said as he approached the door. "What, has this news already spread to every Rhûn-ian in the area?"

Kínadhen nodded his head.

"Well, then what are we doing standing out here for? Let us see it," commanded Bestialán.

As Bestialán began to reach for the handle of the door, Kínadhen stepped in the way and pushed him back. Kínadhen stood firmly at the door with a large spear held out in defense. Bestialán looked at he guard in anger.

"My orders were to not let anyone in," Kínadhen said.

"You don't expect me to believe that the only reason I was called here was because of that pint-sizes menace earlier, do you?" replied Bestialán

The guard gestured a "yes" with his eyes. "I would advise you," Kínadhen began, "that you return to your post. Those in your position do not have any business with matters such as this."

Bestialán gave Kínadhen a wry look of discontent. He felt his left hand clench the sword at his waist, but seeing the guard also clench his spear tightly, he quickly lowered his hand...just in case. Bestialán took a deep breath and stared into the guard's eyes.

"I'm not leaving," Bestialán said, and he took his place against the opposite wall from which the others stood.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:34 AM   #8
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Dwalin

Dwalin had seated again, shaking with excitement as he watched the other dwarves standing in front of him. Bali seemed to be fairly calm where he sat, next to Dwalin. The room was filled with this intolerable silence, which made Dwalin wonder whether the others expected him to say anything. He looked questioningly at Bali who didn't meet his eyes. Dwalin felt his hands get all sweaty and his forehead went all watery. Was he supposed to be in charge? He swallowed, which he found hard. As a result of his ever growing eagerness and excitement, he tried to speak.

"So what route are we taking?" he asked with determination. As Bali looked with surprise at his younger brother, Dwalin realised that this question had already been asked and answered just moments earlier. There was muttering amongst the others, as if they were hesitant to the adventure itself, when Dwalin obviously wasn’t paying attention, or so it seemed. He had tried to seem professional, but he felt little where he sat in his seat. What were they expecting? Where they expecting to leave this instant? Didn't they want to be prepared, as in even more prepared? The dwarf looked alarmingly at his brother, whispering in his ear. "Well... You are the adveturerer. How do we do this?"

Bali giggled, but didn't give him a straight answer. He only muttered something about going to Rhûn and finding treasure before anyone else got there first. He made it sound simple, with few words and an easy forumlation: We are going to Rhûn. Those were his exact words. Dwalin's brother also hinted that it was time to go, as in really time to go, which made him understand completely. This was simple. The treasure was as good as theirs.

As the other dwarves were starting to lose their patience, (Dwalin reckoned this conversation with his brother was excluding the others,) Dwalin returned his gaze to the other dwarves. "Well then..." he started.

“This will probably sound very… odd.. But.. Let’s go fellows!" Dwalin remembered Durin's words, about their beards growing extremely long if they didn't get moving. He repeated this, and addressed the dwarf. "As Durin, for that is your name,” he said, nodding towards the dwarf in front. “We don’t want our beards to grow that long!” Dwalin gave a short laugh, while thinking; actually, he’d always dreamed of a long beard.

Last edited by Novnarwen; 04-11-2004 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:57 PM   #9
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
Maulká

Maulká’s gaze did not waver from the door for many minutes, until she was interrupted in her vigil by the arrival of a stranger. She cast a brief, calculating glance in his direction, confirming the fact that she did not know him. She then resumed her watch at the door. Several minutes later Bestialán arrived, eliciting the barest hint of a nod with his wave. Maulká grudged the politeness implied by the motion, but dared not be openly rude.

Bestialán traded several rough words with Kínadhen and there was a moment when Maulká expected weapons to clash. She felt slightly disappointed when Bestialán pulled his hand away from his weapon and took up a stand along the opposite wall. There were several minutes of silence. Maulká breathed deeply, savoring the sharp feeling of discomfort the silence obviously incited in the guard.

Set on edge by his brief conversation with Bestialán, Kínadhen seemed nervous. His gaze shifted repeatedly as he tried to watch them all at once. The guard seemed to expect some kind of riot. Maulká let the silence linger for several more minutes. Then she drew her short knife, tilting the blade slightly as she freed it to cause a faint ringing. Kinadhen swallowed audibly.

Slowly, deliberately, Maulká pulled a small stone from a pouch at her belt and began to sharpen the knife. She drew the blade across the stone with rhythmic, measured movements. She kept her head downward, eyes on her work. Casting several covert glances at the guard, Maulká could see that he was watching the knife as if entranced. After several moments Maulká stopped and tilted her head to look up at the guard. He stared for a moment longer at the knife, seemingly fascinated by its sudden stillness. Then he chanced to look up, and, seeing her staring, jerked his gaze back to a point on the wall somewhere above her head.

Maulká watched the guard’s face impassively for another moment, then returned the stone and knife to their respective places. The ensuing silence seemed even more tense, heightened by the absence of the ringing of metal-on-stone which had filled the previous minutes. Maulká waited expectantly, listening to the silence and wondering who would be the next to break it.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:46 PM   #10
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
The route had been discussed and agreed upon. Weapons, provisions and other necessities had been gathered. Final goodbyes had been said. The expedition to Rhûn had finally begun.

Bali watched silently as the gates swung closed behind his party. His last journey had been about getting here... but it was all so different now. And his brother was with him. The dwarf smiled. Dwalin has a thing or two to learn about travelling. But I will get him in shape before he knows it.

The party was travelling on foot, as ponies might not be able to travel in Rhûn. It was best to go light. Each dwarf carried a heavy pack, his weapons, and any other possessions or objects they wished to take. Bali's sack was the smallest; he was able to be quite comfortable in the wilderness with his cloak and axe. He smiled, watching Dwalin stride along at the head of the group. Yes, little brother. It is time that you learned to lead.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:33 AM   #11
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
1420! Dwalin

Dwalin went in the lead, having huge difficulties managing the heavy pack, he carried, with things he needed for the journey. The poor dwarf felt a certain pressure; he went in front, which was difficult considering the heavy load he had brought with him. He could get a glimpse of Bali, just behind him, as he looked backwards at the others for a possible rescuer. It was rather painful to watch his brother, carrying as little as possible and being quite pleased with it. Dwalin regretted he hadn't left some of his possessions at home. He frowned as the sun rose and he began to feel warm.

The middle-aged dwarf walked, pretending someone was stalking him, or following him, as it helped to keep the speed up. It was a rather silly method to use, but it worked. In the corner of his eye, he noticed Haenir come up on his side. Dwalin walked faster, trying to avoid his 'follower' to catch up. He could feel the dwarf behind him breathe, heavily. "Dwalin?"

The leader of the small company turned around, pretending to be surprised. "Yes?" Haenir assured Dwalin that he just wanted to check everything was okay, "After all, you are walking quite fast," Haenir said. Dwalin looked at him and slowed down. "Am I?" he asked, not wanting to tell his fellow companion that he was already tired of walking, and that it helped pretending an enemy of some kind was behind him; trying to catch up with him, and that he was trying, desperately, to escape. "Just thinking about.... Rhûn," Dwalin said gently. Haenir nodded. "Can't get my thoughts of Rhûn either," he said, ending his statement with a gruff laugh.

The two of them walked together, talked about Rhûn and the hopes of finding something of value. Dwalin was happy he had someone to talk too. It made him stop thinking of how tired he was and how tired he would become. Dwalin sighed, he should have prepared better for this journey. He didn't even feel he was in good shape. He hoped it would change, or rather, that he would be able to walk without getting so tired; he was after all heading for Rhûn.

Last edited by Novnarwen; 04-13-2004 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:57 PM   #12
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

~*~ To Elvenhome ~*~