The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-21-2002, 02:12 PM   #1
Thomas

Tolkien In the book by Tolkien the Silmarillion ,Maglor says...

"If none can release us then indeed the Everlasting Darkness shall be our lot, whether we keep our oath or break it; but less evil shall we do in the breaking."

What is the Oath of Feanor or what happens when they say it [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2002, 03:04 AM   #2
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Oath of Feänor:

Since you come with this question, I guess that you're in some way familiar with the Silmarillion.
Feänor is the one who made the Silmarils (the most reknowned work of the Elves), and he became proud of them, addicted you might say. After some time, he wouldn't show them to anyone anymore. When Melkor attacked Valinor with Ungoliant, slaying the Trees of Light, stealing the Silmarils and killing Finwë father of Feänor, Fëanor named Melkor 'Morgoth Bauglir', and swore an oath which many others swore after him. And as they swore it, they were under the doom of the Valar.

Quote:
'Then Feänor swore a terrible oath. His seven sons leapt straightway to his side and took the selfsame vow together, and red as blood shone their drawn swords in the glare of the torches. They swore an oath which none shall break, and none should take, by the name even of Ilúvatar, calling the Everlasting Darkness upon them if they kept it not; and Manwë they named in witness, and Varda, and the hallowed mountain of Taniquetil, vowing to pursue with vengeance and hatred to the end of the World Vala, Demon, Elf or Man as yet unborn, or any creature, great or small, good or evil, that the time should bring forth unto the end of days, whoso should hold or keep or take a Silmaril from their possession.'
I hope this answers your question.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 08:39 AM   #3
Anastasia
Haunting Spirit

Anastasia has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Anastasia
Sting

Thomas, please change your avatar (picture) as it has been my avatar for quite a while and this may cause confusion.