The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #1
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Werewolf XXX - Tol-in-Elendili - The Isle of the Were-Faithfuls

Quote:
Then suddenly fire burst from the Meneltarma, and there came a mighty wind and a tumult of the earth, and the sky reeled, and the hills slid, and Númenor went down into the sea, with all its children and its wives and its maidens and its ladies proud; and all its gardens and its halls and its towers, its tombs and its riches, and its jewels and its webs and its things painted and carven, and its laughter and its mirth and its music, its wisdom and lore, its rubber ducks and cuckoo clocks. ~ The Akallabêth.
We are in the year 3319 S.A. All of Númenor has been devoured by the Sea…

All of Númenor? No! The top of the Meneltarma still peaks out of the waves, and its inhabitants will not cease to resist the dreadful power of that phantom Eru Ilúvatar.

Few they were who made the way up the hallowed mountain… um, hill, now… and saved their precious lives from the jealous paws of eternal death. There were rumours that even their queen, Ar-Zimraphel, was able to escape, but none knew whether she hid amongst them, and little did they trust her anyway.

One of the men stood up: Macalaure, most proud and strong, loved by women, adored by children and envied by men, most lordly and radiant, mostly brave and… ahem… well, anyway, the captain of the reserve he was.
“Fear not, loyal men and women of the King of Númenor, the rightful King of Men and of all lands east and west of here. The phantom that is being held before our eyes to keep us blind struck us with mighty fate, but he that is his master shall yet prevail, and he will deliver us from this phantom!”

Encouraged by such mighty and glorious and unsurpassed words, the survivors took heart. The land that was so large, but used to seem so narrow, now was narrow indeed, but, after all, it was still there. Considering what lay behind them, little worse could now happen anymore.

Or could it?

Note: Do not post on this thread before the game has started. For questions or anything else, go to the admin thread.

I will post the detailed rules soon.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Rules

The general stuff:

In a night phase of the game, the Were-Faithfuls may pm one another. They choose one player to kill, who is removed from the game at the end of the night phase.
In a day phase of the game, all villagers, including the Faithfuls, may talk to each other on the game thread. No pming except to me. The village must decide on which one of themselves to lynch at the end of the day. The lynched person is then removed from the game.
When a player is killed or lynched, their role will be revealed. He may no longer post or pm about the game until it is finished.
Every night phase and every day phase lasts 24 hours.
The innocents win if all Were-Faithfuls are dead, the Were-Faithfuls win if their number equals the number of non-Were-Faithfuls.

Lynchings:

Every player has one vote. It should look like this, be on a separate line and bolded:

++Macalaure

Every player may retract their vote once per day if they want to. This should look like this:

--Macalaure

If more than one player has the highest number of votes, the one who reached this number first will be lynched. There are no multiple lynchings.

Roles:

4 Were-Faithfuls decide per pm whom to kill each night and try to conceal their identities at day. They too must vote.
1 High Priest of Annatar (seer) will dream of one other villager each night and wake up knowing that villagers role.
1 Ranger may protect one of his fellow villagers from being killed by the Faithfuls at night. He may not protect the same villager twice in a row. A villager who has been protected successfully will know he has been saved, but not by whom or from whom.
1 Hunter pms me an ordered list which length is equal to the number of living Faithfuls. If the hunter is lynched/killed, then the Faithful who is highest on this list will die with him. If there is no Faithful on it, then, if the hunter is lynched, the innocent at the top of his list dies, if the hunter is killed, he dies alone.
Ranger and Hunter know each other’s identity. They may not pm with one another at day or night. They may not protect/hunt each other.
1 Tar-Míriel (cobbler) belongs to the innocents, but is in reality hoping for the Faithfuls to win. She does not know the Faithfuls’ identity and the Faithfuls don’t know hers. At the end of each day, Tar-Míriel will pm me a list of the villagers who she thinks are the Faithfuls. I will give this list to the real Faithfuls to brood over. Of course, the player who plays this role may be male, too.
13 Ordinary Villagers may talk and vote on days, like everyone else. They are quiet at night.

Various:

The deadline for days and nights is 9 PM GMT (real time counts, not faulty forum time)
All players shall be in invisible mode
A person who doesn’t vote for two consecutive days is removed from the game (the Mod may grant amnesty)
The game thread is only for the game and all the game takes place only in it. Other discussions (e.g. announcements or apologies for RL hindrances, questions of whatever type) belong into the admin thread.
You may edit your posts to correct faulty grammar/spelling, change bolding/italicising and mark cross-posting. You may not alter the content.

And don’t forget:
It’s only a game, so don’t be offensive;
It’s only a game, so don’t be offended.

Last edited by Macalaure; 02-27-2007 at 02:47 AM. Reason: inserting final number of players
Old 02-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

A few days before…

Dark were the days beneath the black, towering clouds which covered the skies, disrupted only by cruel lightnings that smote the very earth. These were the hours when the remaining Faithfuls, who hid themselves from their hunters, gathered in the docks of Rómenna to leave Númenor for good. But in these moments, when faced with the decision to leave their beloved lands, a few wavered. One of them spoke up.

“My Lord Elendil, my heart does not endure to be parted from the land that is my home, regardless of what it has become, or what will be its end. Faithful I will be until Eru takes me to him, but I will not go away from this place that saw the birth of my forefathers and me.”

“I understand the longings of your heart,” answered Elendil “for mine longs for the same, but it accepted that the land I love as much as you do will never in any age again be like it was. I will give you leave readily, but know that little good will befall to you, should you stay.”

“I know too well what might be my fate here, and nothing I can think of soothes my fears, now even less, since even you my Lord do not know what is left to do in this wonderful place that has become so full of dreads.”

“One advice I might be able to give you: If you wish to remain in the land of our fathers, then seek out the Faithful that do not wish to part from Númenor, and let them join you in secret, if they are willing to go with you, and share in your design”

“And what shall that design be?”

“To remain unnoticed in the midst of the worshippers of Sauron, pretending to be one of their own kind; but during the night, to seek their homes and give the Gift of Eru to those who are so exerted to reject it. You shall be…

Were-Faithfuls!”

Night one has begun. Faithfuls, start your plotting. Priest of Annatar, dream a little dream for me. Everybody else, see you tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

A list of the survivors of the near-drowning of Anadûne:

Brinniel
Durelin
Garin
Gil-Galad
Glirdan
the guy who be short
Holbytlass
Hookbill the Goomba
Kath
Kitanna
Lalaith
Legate of Amon Lanc
Mänwe
The Might
Mithalwen
Nogrod
Rikae
Roa_Aoife
Rune Son of Bjarne
The Saucepan Man
Thinlómien
Old 02-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Disturbed by the horrible event of seeing his land drown in the floods of the Sea, Macalaure found it difficult to find sleep in the night. His thoughts were wide awake and his heart would not find rest. Suddenly there were noises heard outside his makeshift hut. “The others seem to be just as restless as I am.” he thought. Then slowly the door opened and four shades were seen in the dim light. They closed the door and stood in a half circle around his bed.

“Who are you?” Macalaure asked.

“We have come to bring news, first to you and then to all others through you.”

“I do not know what you mean!”

“Well, what you do know is, I suppose, that all hearts in Númenor are not drawn to Sauron. There are yet four of us here to serve the One, and so we will do until the utter end.”

A disdainful laugh escaped the mouth of Macalaure. “There are yet some of you we have not wiped out? Very well. Before the end comes you shall see that only the service to Melkor confers true power. Melkor gives life, your Eru only death.”

“Well, that we shall see." said one, and the Faithfuls drew closer around Macalaure.

*~*

The next morning the surviving Númenoreans gathered upon the Hill of Meneltarma to debate their future. But they noticed that Macalaure was not among them, so they went to his hut to see for him.

There was nothing that could have prepared them for what they were about to see. They opened the door and there lay the dead body of proud Macalaure, sickly defaced. Quickly they rushed towards him.

“I do not think he died an easy death” said Lalaith, kneeling over him “There are seven deep cuts over his body, but they have been given the time to start to heal.”

“And seven of his bones are broken!” said Nogrod, appalled and disgusted.

“Let us have more light inside here.” said Durelin, and lighted a torch.

And in this moment they saw the writing on the wall on the other side of the room. Written in Tengwar letters and in the language of the High-Elves – and in the blood of the victim – it said:

“Seven scars and broken bones
and one dead Mac!”

There the hearts of the people of Westernesse were stricken with horror and many cries of pain were heard.

Alone Rune, Son of Bjarne, kept his courage:

“The Faithfuls have plotted against us. They strike first. The next blow shall be ours!”

*~*

The Dead:

Macalaure (mod) - brutally killed by Faithfuls in Night One

The Living:

Brinniel
Durelin
Garin
Gil-Galad
Glirdan
the guy who be short
Holbytlass
Hookbill the Goomba
Kath
Kitanna
Lalaith
Legate of Amon Lanc
Mänwe
The Might
Mithalwen
Nogrod
Rikae
Roa_Aoife
Rune Son of Bjarne
The Saucepan Man
Thinlómien

Day 1 begins. You finally may start posting now. Wolves, stop pming. I need the lists of the hunter and the cobbler before the end of the Day.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Since I am here, I may as well post but obviously there isn't a lot to say However with such a big village I am sure there will be screeds to read when I get back.

This should be and interesting game - several new players, a few returners and a slightly unusual line up of roles. Given we don't want to force gifteds to out themselves to save their necks or to out those we think may be gifted in order to defend them, we should remember that that gifteds as well as wolves are liable to give out an "odd" vibe and that while in most villages only the wolves know about each other here the hunter and ranger know about each other. But if anyone has a watertight method for distinguishing gifted odd vibe from wolvish odd vibe please share!

We also have a cobbler.... I will try to resist the assumption that it is the Saucepanman (at least til he has posted).

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well I'm here too, and my goodness it's quiet. Of course, it's always hard to post early as there's so little to say, and one ends up prattling about nothing. But as I'm not going to be around again until (RL) tomorrow evening, I may as well stick my head above the parapet now.

Quote:
distinguishing gifted odd vibe from wolvish odd vibe please share
Hmmm....I agree about being careful because of gifteds giving off odd vibes. But I'm not sure about that above comment Mith, if I suspect anyone of being gifted I'm not going to share that suspicion openly with fellow villagers who may be nasssty werefaithfuls.

But I'm also intrigued about these new twists on roles, the lists are a variation I'm not familiar with.
And I'm steeling myself for the pages I'm undoubtedly going to have to wade through when I get back....a demain, Numenoreans.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Well here I am three, being rather new to the entire experience, my life on this here Island had always been a quiet one. So if I am generally quiet well that is my reason. As a fisherman I prefer the waters not the land, would that I were on a ship or corral. Certainly any place else than here with that defaced corpse, i've seen my fare share of bloated bodies of drowned sailors, but this is all rather evil.

I wouldn't be surprised that people would give out odd vibes. I myself feel slightly odd. Though I assure you my vibes are all of pity, remorse and anxiety over what has occured. Still those who give out odd vibes may be doing so by way of double bluff...but your right, early posts do seem to ramble.

Though i'd add as a sailor quick decisions saves lives, and while i don't cast aspersions often nor am I accusing now who be the culprit, but I am eager to find out who twas that perpetrated this foul deed, and i've never much liked the look of Hookbill....
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Ooh it feels odd not to have an occupation. What are you supposed to ramble about in your first post!? :0 The rules I suppose, or the narration.

Four wolves plus a Cobbler eh? And no more Gifted's than usual to balance it. Though I suppose we do have a very high number of ordinary villagers and the Hunter and Ranger know each other and so we will be spared the hell that is two Gifted's going after each other without realising it!

What ratio do we have then. 13 ordos to 8 with roles and only one death per Day and one per Night (so long as the Hunter doesn't take anyone down with them). Someone better at maths than me may disagree but I'd say that gives us pretty good odds no?

Anyway, that's it from me. I'm a bit lost for what to say right now. I'll be around for a while yet though.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Okay. With just one kill per Night, if I understood the rules correctly, the wolves are quite outnumbered. So let's make a brave face, Macalaure's gruesome death nothwithstanding. Those of us who will live up to the fourth or fifth Day should have good chances of winning this one.

I must say I share Mith's concern about reasoning a gifted from a were-Faithful and thence can't see the reason why Lalaith wishes to try to make an issue out of it. Well, that was the second post anyhow and as such forgivable...

But those Valar-loving Nerds are up to us! Shame on the concept! Maybe we just lynch the kindest ones and be done with it? So bad Foley is not playing as she's so loving person you could tell she's a friend of the ones in the Undying lands...

But what that leaves me - with persons I know even a little - is Holby, Mith and Lommy, neither of whom I would wish to help lynched at this stage (well, who could one wish to lynch at this stage anyhow?).

So we'll see about this.

Hard to jump on anyone yet...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Oooo!! No job, no posting going on!! Just how my ancestors described it in their lorebooks of old!! Well, except for the no job part....

So, four Wolves and one Cobbler, eh? Quite interesting.....quite interesting indeed. Well, with too few posts and it being the first day, I'm going to go for a little stroll to think about this whole mess. I hope there will be more posts when I return as I may have to vote way before the Day is through. I bid you adieux.
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:02 PM   #12
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Before I go to sleep as I have to, just a few first impressions... (I'll try to be more forthcoming later on the Day)

Mith seems to be her normal innocent self and making somewhat good points. With this evidence I would not vote her.

Lalaith I've reconsidered now and just think she is only hasty and short of anything to discuss this early. But there are so many newcomers in this game that some open speculation might indeed be good for us (no offence to the newbies - I myself am still working to understand how this game works...) and the combination of roles surely is a new one. (To look at the Hunter-list stuff, please check the last game and Macalaure's comments on them in the discussion thread)

Of Manwë I have no clue about. Looks good, but we also saw Lalwendë making it out quite far with this "looking good" -thing. But basically it sounds innocent...

Kath, oh my God... She sounds herself whether she's a villain or not. Everything looks nice and okay, as it should... No way to tell anything about her now and possibly in any near future unless she's dead. But if she's a villager, we would lose a lot in the endgame without her experience and wits.

Glirdy looks somewhat normal but there is a feeling I get from his post... I don't know what. I know I myself disagree with voting the most "usual suspects" as it tends to turn bad for us, but still I can't help feeling that from those already posted I would say he's the most suspicious one. But that's a little to say and calls for reconsideration after some more posting from you all...

So no bright ideas this far. Hopefully later...
Old 02-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #13
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
What, no mad cap theory for victory, Nogrod? How can I argue with you if you don't give me something to argue against?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
we should remember that that gifteds as well as wolves are liable to give out an "odd" vibe
This is true, and it's how gifteds stay alive- because of their suspiciousness the wolves leave them as a smokescreen. So what are you suggesting? Refrain from voting for someone we think is acting suspiciously just because we fear lynching a gifted? The gifted can take care of themselves. In fact, it's their responsibility to do so. If they behave in a manner that gets them lynched, then they are bad gifteds. On the other hand, if they are so unsuspicious that they get killed, that is their fault also. Any comments about gifteds should be left to the wolves at Night. Your comment to me looks like an attempt at a smokescreen, to raise fear and paranoia.

I'm going back to summarizing everyone.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:15 PM   #14
Garin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Garin has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

I too am unnerved by the lack of traditional jobs within the village. It seems as though are citizenry are a pack of aimless derelicts. However the lack of role playing might make it more difficult for the were-faithfuls to disguise themselves.

I don't like any talk of gifteds this early in our villages plight. It is not our duty to sniff them out. It is their duty to remain hidden and to serve the village. I have some experience in detecting the lupine within our ranks but I am thrown by these "faithfuls" and their lack of the usual evil musk.

Nogrod, it is fine that you are familiar with some of our villagers but don't let that cloud your judgment. They could be among the the treacherous. This is definitely a time in which no one can be trusted.

I am a sick man ... I am a spiteful man. I am an unpleasant man. I think my liver is diseased.

Fyodor Dostoevsky "Notes From the Underground"
Garin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:30 PM   #15
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garin
Nogrod, it is fine that you are familiar with some of our villagers but don't let that cloud your judgment. They could be among the the treacherous. This is definitely a time in which no one can be trusted.
Don't think I'm leaning to trust anyone here... Some things just help to orientate one in the beginning of the game when the loose threads are scarce. I truly hope I have something real to chew after I come back tomorrow (RL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Roa
What, no mad cap theory for victory, Nogrod? How can I argue with you if you don't give me something to argue against?
Sorry to let you down but I need to wake up early. If I'm alive tomorrow or there is something interesting later toDay rest assured I will have an idea or two...
Old 02-25-2007, 05:33 PM   #16
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
*sigh* We don't need jobs to catch wolves. We don't even need voting records. We need people to talk. That means you, Glirdan. Mith had nothing to respond to and yet she made more impact than you did. There's always something to comment on. So get to commenting people.

Seriously, it's Day 1, everyone's alive, where are they?

I have to go for now, but I expect to be reading through at least 3 pages when I get back at 5 AM GMT. *waggles finger*

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:36 PM   #17
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

So, a bunch of self-righteous Were-Faithfuls dare blight our haven, do they? Still, with Lord Annatar’s blessing, I am hopeful that we will soon have them nicely sacrificed upon His Unholy altar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
We also have a cobbler.... I will try to resist the assumption that it is the Saucepanman (at least til he has posted).
Can’t be me. The cobbler is, after all, a Queen, and so female.

On a more serious note …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
But if anyone has a watertight method for distinguishing gifted odd vibe from wolvish odd vibe please share!
What? So as to help those foul Faithfuls spot Gifted behaviour? Unlike Nogrod, I share Lalaith's reservations over that comment. I also think it will be unhelpful to discuss likely Faithful behaviour, at this early stage at least, as it tells the Faithfuls precisely how not to behave to avoid being spotted.

The best way forward, as I see it, is to observe the words of those who speak and draw conclusions over the patterns of behaviour that we see before our eyes, rather than speculating about how the Faithful might behave in the future. And that requires us all to talk. So, as always, I bid all here not to hold your tongues. Bring forward your thoughts, your suspicions and your accusations, so that we may debate these at our counsel. Do not be afraid to speak, for it is only by speaking that we will catch these abhorrent souls. I will not look kindly upon those who skulk in the corners of this thread (without good reason).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mänwe
Well here I am three, being rather new to the entire experience, my life on this here Island had always been a quiet one.
So, laying low fishing, when you should have been out sacrificing Faithfuls to the Lord Annatar, eh? By your words, it seems that you would rather be fleeing to the mainland with the blashphemer Elendil and his crew, than here among your brethren. Are you one of his crew, mayhaps?

Then again, I rather agree with you about that Hookbill fellow.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #18
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

Quote:
However the lack of role playing might make it more difficult for the were-faithfuls to disguise themselves.
The role-playing never lasts too long anyway, and always leads to a debate over who most suspiciously carried it on as long as possible to avoid saying anything too serious. I agree that its absence provides a welcome lack of distraction. Though it has led to a few posts decidely lacking in content, but nevertheless seeking to register a presence *cough* Glirdan and Kath *cough*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife
So what are you suggesting? Refrain from voting for someone we think is acting suspiciously just because we fear lynching a gifted?
To be fair, it is always worthwhile to bear in mind that Gifteds can sometimes appear suspicious, by their nature. As a serial misguided voter-for-Gifteds, I can attest to that. My concern was more with the invitation to discuss openly likely Gifted and Faithful behaviour.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:54 PM   #19
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

What bothers me is that I tend to agree with Roa here (as we should be the cat and the dog - which one of us is what is an open question)...

Glirdy seems to be too detached for a villager. Just casually making himself present but in an alienated way. It sounds bad to be sure.

Hope you have more to say later on Glirdy! I know it's early, but there are things to be observed other than "substance" also early in the game, like attitudes behind the words... the problem is that an unenchanted villager might go for it as you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spm
Bring forward your thoughts, your suspicions and your accusations, so that we may debate these at our counsel. Do not be afraid to speak, for it is only by speaking that we will catch these abhorrent souls. I will not look kindly upon those who skulk in the corners of this thread (without good reason).
I do agree with this! See the bolding to underline it... It's almost downright insulting that I'm the number one poster at this point with just a few posts.

Speak up people, otherwise we can't nail the baddies... and if it becomes to that, I will be the first to vote for those who do not talk without an acceptable explanation.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #20
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

As I said I am not one to hold my tongue, certainly when matters such as this arise. Listening and speaking are, I echo everyone’s thoughts, essential to our victory. Among those words spoken are a few I would highlight.

Originally posted by Nogrod
Quote:
I truly hope I have something real to chew after I come back tomorrow (RL).
‘Chew’ being the operative word, be that human flesh you so wish to sample? Tired of the hard maggoty bread served aboard ship? I should know I’ve tasted it many a time, yet my appetite turns more to fish than human. It is why I do “looks good”, fish is the food of the brain. You are alluding to the absence of others, as does Roa, perhaps your furry ally.

Originally posted by Roa
Quote:
You also seem impatient to meet everyone; I cannot help but think it’s not just for a bit of idle chatter. Seeking the tastiest amongst us? I assure you, your lupine nose would turn at the smell of my quarters. Being stained with the smell of fish, which I would add is not in order to hide my evil musk!

For why would I wish to lay low? Saucepan Man, why should I?

Originally posted by Saucepam Man
Quote:
So, laying low fishing, when you should have been out sacrificing Faithfuls to the Lord Annatar, eh? By your words, it seems that you would rather be fleeing to the mainland with the blashphemer Elendil and his crew, than here among your brethren. Are you one of his crew, mayhaps?
I am the villagers’ fisherman; I supply a staple diet, why should I wish to kill my customers? I do not deny that sailing with Elendil would be an experience, but the boat I wish for is a simple fishing corral not the mighty ships of said Mariner.

Originally posted by Saucepan Man
Quote:
Then again, I rather agree with you about that Hookbill fellow.
I am glad you see sense and agree with me. Has he been in your mind of late?
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Old 02-25-2007, 06:20 PM   #21
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Silmaril

Quote:
You are alluding to the absence of others, as does Roa, perhaps your furry ally.
I do wonder whether our fisherman, despite his suspiciously peaceable ways, might have a point here. While it doesn't necessarily mark them out as Lembas-eating, Valar-loving surrender monkeys, it does seem to me that Roa and Nogrod are being unduly harsh on those who have not had an opportunity to speak so far.

It is but little over three hours since Mac's body was discovered, and yet Roa and Nogrod are behaving as though it is a crime not to have posted yet. I agree that we want everyone to speak, but I hardly think it incriminating that there are a fair few who have not been able to do so thus far.

In any event, both mathematically and logically speaking, it is likely that at least one, and quite probably, two of our four Faithfuls have spoken already so far. I doubt that berating those who are not yet with us is likely to lead us very far at this stage. I'd rather leave any consideration over what to do with the silent ones, if there are any, until much later in the day, when silence will be more of a relevant consideration.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:21 PM   #22
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Has he been in your mind of late?
Sorry, missed this. No, like you, I just don't like the look of him.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #23
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I just popped in before locking myself away for an hour or two of studying. What I've seen so far has left me somewhat speechless. Most of what I would have said is general and has been stated by more than one other person.

One thing is something of Nogrod's:
Quote:
Glirdy seems to be too detached for a villager. Just casually making himself present but in an alienated way. It sounds bad to be sure.
I haven't played with Glirdan in quite some time, but from what I remember his first post has never been one for substance, usually just some in character remark and then he's gone. I'm willing to overlook this first "alienated" post (as Nogrod puts it), but only if following posts have some substance and in some way benefit.

Well, I need to go for a while, but hopefully I will only be gone for a few hours.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:01 PM   #24
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
I do wonder whether our fisherman, despite his suspiciously peaceable ways, might have a point here. While it doesn't necessarily mark them out as Lembas-eating, Valar-loving surrender monkeys, it does seem to me that Roa and Nogrod are being unduly harsh on those who have not had an opportunity to speak so far.

It is but little over three hours since Mac's body was discovered, and yet Roa and Nogrod are behaving as though it is a crime not to have posted yet. I agree that we want everyone to speak, but I hardly think it incriminating that there are a fair few who have not been able to do so thus far.
Well mister Saucepan! I happily saw this before I turned the computer down. This I would call hypochrisy indeed. You are yourself making an appearance of trying to get people speaking but nicely use the similar intentions of others as points against them...

Now who would like to have some named lynchees here this early from the part of the "village" that will probably be noisy and active enough? I do not know of my unduly harshness here but your posting seems to fit the description. I don't think I have said it's a crime to not have posted yet - the timezone-issues and all and only the first hours - but you seem to be happy to make a lot out of it... So I must just ask why as I know you to be a wise player...

So what's the problem? You don't sound innocent my friend... it's not the "substance", but the feeling behind it... trying too hard to look helpful and reasonable, so much as to lose your integrity? Who knows...

It's yet early hours though. I hope we'll have something more to talk when I come back. It would be sad to be wrong with you and basically I wouldn't want to see you go before your time without a good reason (you being a wolf or a cobbler).

The talkers we do need...

EDIT: X-d with Kitanna, and agreeing...
Old 02-25-2007, 07:07 PM   #25
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Alack, you are right, Kath! I'm at a loss. I guess I'll actually have to think. Think? In my first post? That doesn't sound healthy...

But what makes this Day 1 even crazier than the lack of various "role-playing nonsense" is our numbers. While we ordos are 13 strong, and we have some help on our side in the way of a Seer, Ranger, and Hunter, we're up against five nasties who want us all to die. Now I see that some people are rather optimistic about this, and I'd like to be, too, but...that's a lot of us to just go at each other's throats, isn't it?

Everyone who's discussing how the wolves are/will behave is out of their minds. It's Day 1. The wolves don't have to do anything but sit back and let everyone get confused, bogged down by theories and plans.

So what do I have to suggest? Not much, unfortunately, other than stirring things up a bit more. So I quite agree with SPaM and Noggy...and I apologize for not having more time. I'd rather be catching Faithfuls than scanning Latin poetry at this point, trust me...

I find the bits of back and forth between Manwe and SPM interesting, and the simple fact that Manwe is so keen in his fisherman routine. But I suppose after so many WW games starting off with everyone at least a little in character, he wouldn't want to miss out.

I find Mith's comment about the Gifteds rather strange, as well. It's nice to know who your allies are, but not if it means your enemies know all about them, too. She seems "easy-going" in a way I would think speaks to her innocence, except it feels a tad forced to me. The "oh, if anyone just so happens to know how to find out who the gifteds are, that'd be dandy!" thing seems forced in this way to me...but that's just me.

Glirdan's post irks me, as any post does that says nothing but complains about people saying nothing. While it's understandable that there's not much going on and so not much to do, I think a little effort to "stir something up" (yes, I'll use that phrase as much as I want!) would have been nice.

I see that Nogrod and SPaM have posted the most...all is right with the world...

Another interesting remark, this one from Garin...

Quote:
While I quite agree with not basing guilt/innocence on past experiences, I can just imagine a new-Wolf thinking "don't trust those people you've played with before, but trust me." Nogrod and anyone who's even played one game before comes with a lot of baggage that can mean a person is considered more innocent or more guilty.

Agh, I need to stop before I start reading things into every word of every post.

Unfortunately I'll have to go in a few hours not to return till just about an hour before the deadline tomorrow, so...give me something to read!

Oh, but don't worry...I'll give you a vote to consider before I go.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #26
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

And all the talkers are assembled here, sniping away at one another. The talkers ought to talk less before those who talk less become talkers themselves. Besides talk can just as much make things difficult as easy. I say all here apart from myself have the musky taint of evil about them, to coin an earlier phrase. Nogrod, Roa, Saucepan Man, Kitanna, be you the four faithfuls.

Nogrod, have you perchance merely not heard my questions, or does your ignoring them hide a darker truth? Ahhh the power of rhetoric, not lost among simple folk such as I, fisherman, renowned for it. A well known fishermans tale;

One fisherman has a hook deep in his wrist.
Second fisherman, "Whoose fault was it?"

No need for an answer, the answer is within the first fisherman, yet he chose not to give it. As you have done, with no answer it is 'your fault'. I sense denial in you, something that itches to be released, beneath a full moon perhaps?

Seems to me everyone picks upon Glirdan from the start, Roa, Nogrod are you using this to deflect any insinuations upon yourselves?
Old 02-25-2007, 07:26 PM   #27
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Sorry, missed this. No, like you, I just don't like the look of him.
Sorry I missed this. How last did you see him?
Old 02-25-2007, 07:52 PM   #28
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
hmmm after having read through what have been said and done so far, very little jumps to my attention.

It has been the usual non-substance talking and other things I cannot be bothered mentioning.

Of the few things that have seemed slightly odd for me is in fact the latter posts of Mänwe, it is probably mostly because I am not used to his style of writtin/playing, but I do find his whole Nogrod, Roa, Saucepan Man, Kitanna "case" a bit weird.

He pretty much only focus on Nogrod, which seems weird to me, I do how ever understand why he asks the questions he does. . .It has always annoyed me when people can just ignore questions and nobody notices, it is not always a sign of wolvery, but then again nothing ever is.

I don't understand why there are so little elaboration or non about the others. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpa
*sigh* We don't need jobs to catch wolves. We don't even need voting records. We need people to talk
Exactly and jobs were brilliant for making people talk, yes the first post would mostly be useless or close to, but it was good as an "conversation starter/accelerator". People have gotten used to it being the way to get the game started and it is therefor only natural that they comment on the lack of occupation.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:19 PM   #29
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I agree with you about Manwe's latest posts. His chatter is the ultimate Day 1 "in-character nonsense." The fact that it is the *ultimate* (a little...extreme?) makes me wonder if it's a copy, a fake of what most of us have seen before.

I know, I know...me complaining about "in-characterness?" But this feels a bit odd. Or maybe this whole "no-jobs" thing is just getting to me.

Right, enough with the talk of jobs and no jobs...

It's Day 1, it's rather quiet, and, typically, I have nothing better to go on.

++Manwe

His bragging of his fisherman wisdom is getting to me.

I shall be back to check things out and reconsider my vote as early before the deadline as possible (hopefully I shall be snowed in a bit at home, and so will have plenty of time, but I am far from optimistic).
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #30
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
And all the talkers are assembled here, sniping away at one another. The talkers ought to talk less before those who talk less become talkers themselves. Besides talk can just as much make things difficult as easy. I say all here apart from myself have the musky taint of evil about them, to coin an earlier phrase. Nogrod, Roa, Saucepan Man, Kitanna, be you the four faithfuls.
I'm not familiar with Mänwe's style, but I am trying to understand the logic here. I could understand grouping four people together based on occupation on Day 1, but I'm not following what line of thought he used here. Out of the four he seems to focus on Nogrod and gives no reason as to why he picked the other three (except a little mention of Roa). Mänwe, I hope you plan on explaining this at some point in time.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:42 PM   #31
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lackaday, it has come to this, accusations, would that I have it any other way, alas Mac lies dies, disfigured, four culprits there are, and four I dare name, I see nothing absurd or strange in that? How so then would you accuse me as being one of the Faithful, one who would kill, I have spoken in all honesty.

To many times have you all seen someone speak in honesty and being persecuted for it, find that they were indeed honest and innocent of the accusations. You all speak of the lack of jobs, and here I am writing as if I were a fisherman (which I am) I speak the truth, tis not I who is afflicted with the lust for human flesh.

Durelin, you must reconsider. Why should I vehemently deny being a Faithful if indeed have nothing to hide. Because it would seem if I were to stay silent you would use this as further proof against me, seeing as you all, so far, are so avid that silence marks someone as a Faithful.

Perhaps I have been unjust in my accusations, that we all are talking means none of us are what we seek. Would you not better wait till my questions are answered? Rune picks a valuable point, Nogrod has not yet answered them, why so?

Still does not mean I cannot stand by my accusations.

Edit: Simul with Kitanna

Kitanna I have my reasons, but seeing as there is a great deal of mistrust between us all I would not as yet venture to explain. Though I find your own reasoning for Glirdan being a faithful tenuous also.

Last edited by Mänwe; 02-25-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:51 PM   #32
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

I would like to ask though why my fishermans ways are so strange to you all? Are our thoughts and conversations not all baseless at the moment?
Old 02-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #33
Kitanna
Child of the West

Quote:
Kitanna I have my reasons, but seeing as there is a great deal of mistrust between us all I would not as yet venture to explain. Though I find your own reasoning for Glirdan being a faithful tenuous also.
Of course there is mistrust, so why waste a chance to try to alleviate some of that? The longer you wait the more suspicious you look.
Also I think you misunderstand what I said about Glirdan. It wasn't a suspicion. I didn't say I thought him a faithful. I said I found his first post a usual post for him, but in future posts more substance is needed.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:39 PM   #34
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'm sorry I'm so late -
as I read through the posts this far, the only person that jumps out as overtly suspicious is Manwe - not because of his in-character posting (I don't see anything wrong with a bit of light-hearted banter) but because there is something slightly forced, or fabricated, about the actual content of his posts.
For example:
Quote:
Still those who give out odd vibes may be doing so by way of double bluff...but your right, early posts do seem to ramble.
This makes no logical sense - since it's already been pointed out that both baddies and gifteds could seem "odd", the only person for whom such a vibe would be a bluff would be an ordo. But does it make any sense for an ordo to bluff in such a way? Manwe seems to be making the sort of pseudo-analytical comment a faithful would use as a smokescreen.

Then there is his second post, where he accuses several people in one fell swoop and with little basis. He seems to be tossing suspicion around indiscriminately, hoping it will stick somewhere, and just about anywhere will do.

For lack of any other leads at the moment, I'll vote:
++Manwe
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:43 PM   #35
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Then we do have crossed fishing lines somewhere. Your words are now as clear as cloudless sky. Though on your point about my accusations I cannot see how they are more ambiguous than everyone elses. The moments after such a horrific event are usually dominated with flying accusations with little evidence.

I picked you because (and in hindsight perhaps wrongly on light of what you actually meant) your pouncing on poor Glirdan's posting seemed only to reflect what everyone else was doing, whether merely commenting on his first activities or labelling him as suspicious I still felt you were following suit with Nogrod and Roa, who also immediately pounced upon him. Glirdan I have noticed seems to be always quickly accused and eliminated. Perhaps he does not help himself still on most occasions he has proven innocent. That was my reasoning for choosing you three. As simple as that. *Points to 1st post, I thought it outlined my reasons for choosing them clear*

I threw SPaM into the furry mix for no other reason that to throw an accusation. That and I am curious as to why he believes that Hookbill is the shady character I am sure he is...that and he was agreeing with what I was saying. Perhaps he is trying to take shelter under my innocent shadow is all I am saying. Though why Nogrod would want to argue against SPaM if SPaM is indeed a Faithful, though strange tactics are always a foot. Perhaps a double bluff...
Old 02-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #36
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rikae my throwing accusations is nothing new, it has been done many times before. I am simply trying to help all others get ideas flowing, innocent villagers that is. Mhm, 'forced' perhaps, sincere most certainly. Though I add my accusations are only in light of what ive read, and I pick out particular points of those postings. They are not any old chaff thrown out to disguise the homing in of a missile.

For the moment I stand by what I say, and urge all other villagers to do the same.

++ Nogrod.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #37
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Aargh, Macalaure's body isn't even properly taken care of yet and already fingerpointing and votes have occured. And annalyzing?! We are not opposed to this but wow- a few prayers for the dead may be in order and perhaps a few more for inspiration. Although quite frankly I'm not sure who we're to pray to.

I don't find Manwe suspicious at all but these votes that have accumulated already is weird. I know, I know they can be retracted but the fact someone is following someone so closely so early sends red flags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
But what that leaves me - with persons I know even a little - is Holby, Mith and Lommy, neither of whom I would wish to help lynched at this stage (well, who could one wish to lynch at this stage anyhow?).
Let me help you out, at least with me. I am notoriously quiet-although I try not to lurk. Sometimes I'm bad, sometimes I'm good and alot of times I'm extra good. SpM can attest to that.

Quote:
And all the talkers are assembled here, sniping away at one another. The talkers ought to talk less before those who talk less become talkers themselves. Besides talk can just as much make things difficult as easy.
Oh, I get this perfectly-they do make it easier.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:14 PM   #38
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
i definately got to play it slow now...

i will review and post later in morning, but right now i see that Nogrod and Manwe are under speculation so i will view them
Old 02-26-2007, 12:00 AM   #39
Garin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Garin has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Durelin: I can just imagine a new-Wolf thinking "don't trust those people you've played with before, but trust me."

I assure you that this is not my first venture into such a village. I just haven't been around for nearly a year because of my travels.

I'm still unsettled by Mith's talk of gifteds. It doesn't seem to be something an actual gifted or a ordo villager would dare bring up but one of these Faithfuls or a Cobbler would.

I can understand Manwe wanting to bolster dialog by making blind accusations but the downside is offending the wrong people and taking a quick trip to the gallows. Plus, having to switch to such a defensive mode always makes one look guilty.

Sauce is terribly hard for me to read anything from. If he is innocent, I doubt the Faithfuls will kill him at night because he will probably be viewed as suspicious by us villagers sooner than later.

Roa and Nogrod did seem a little feisty very early on. I already alluded to the fact that Nogrod was more hesitant to lynch some more than others did not sit well with me. It just seemed like an odd first day stance to take.

Did I mention how much I love first day?

That's why Kitanna hassling Manwe for better reasons didn't make too much sense to me. It pretty much impossible to back up suspicions this early. Maybe someone is trying to draw the seer out of hiding?

I hoped to address everyone who has posted but I'm out of time for now.

I think at least one Faithful was among the earliest posters and I doubt if they are addressing each other much while wearing their daytime disguises.

It is possible they might try to sacrifice one of their own early on as a diversion.

I am a sick man ... I am a spiteful man. I am an unpleasant man. I think my liver is diseased.

Fyodor Dostoevsky "Notes From the Underground"
Garin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:17 AM   #40
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, what an awakening!

I'm saying forward that I have no experience with Were-faithful, not even with Were-wolves as some of you have (being serving under our lord Annatar a long time ago or being hunted by the wolves in Hither lands before poor old king Pharazon made peace with lord Annatar). And the dispute about possible murderers of poor Macalaure already runs - until I was able to collect (I hope at least some) the information posted here, about a hour has passed and I have yet to leave for a moment, but fortunately, I'll be back in little time and then rethink everything. Possibly, something will come to me. But so far now, I want to add my bits to the discussion, just from what popped on me when reading this through. Only from my random thoughts, hopefully if I am completely "out of plate", you'd just ignore this.

I didn't quite catch the point of Mith and Lalaith's dispute about the Gifteds, generally (as someone already said here) I think it is the best for the Gifteds to stay hidden, so there is no concern of distinguishing them - they will try to leak their own bits of information to us, if I understand it correctly, it's the best they can do (without accidentally sacrificing themselves by revealing their identity).

Some peoples' posts seemed strange to me somehow at first, but after reading later on, I think I learned that is some way of "normal behavior" for them.

Mänwe seemed a little bit, let's say, harsh to me, but still this does not prove to me he's a Were-faithful. But if he is not Were-faithful, then I think it's just nonsense to make too much a mess like he did. Only for illustration, this:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_aoife
You also seem impatient to meet everyone; I cannot help but think it’s not just for a bit of idle chatter. Seeking the tastiest amongst us? I assure you, your lupine nose would turn at the smell of my quarters. Being stained with the smell of fish, which I would add is not in order to hide my evil musk!
This seems to me like accusing out of nothing. I also might add here that Roa seems ok to me, I didn't spot anything strange on her behavior here.

I'll write more now, but I really have to leave (I am 10 minutes late already, hence, I start understanding the WW players' feelings ). But surely I'll come back again and then re-think everything and hopefully bring things further.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote