The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #1441
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hm, looks like this isn't as easy as I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Now that I think of it, the last two lines fit any average Gondorian. They have a custom of looking toward the West before their evening meal, which ends the day.
Well, yes, but that's not what I meant; maybe the last two verses are a bit too vague. Note, however, that it says my day, not 'the day', and this is not random.

I'm not sure how much more I can or should say without giving away too much... but shot, even if it's not a metaphor, can still have more than one meaning.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #1442
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
shot, even if it's not a metaphor, can still have more than one meaning.
oh, right then, Golfimbul
Old 04-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #1443
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
For the sake of the high esteem in which I hold your rational faculty, my lord of Burlach, I'll suppose you were kidding.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #1444
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Eurika! I got it! ...I think.

It's Hirgon:

He's a Gondorian, his name means Lord of Stone, he carried the Red Arrow to Gondor's allies ie Rohirrim, and he died when he turned his horse back to the west!

Geez, I'm getting better at solving these.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #1445
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Thumbs up

Bingo! You've got it indeed, and explained everything correctly!

My heart bled for you when I saw you looking for parmaq in all the wrong places, and I wrecked my brain quite a bit thinking about what more hints I could give you without spilling the whole thing, but I should have known you would get it in the end. Well done!

The floor is yours (and I can hopefully get another neverending RP-post finished at last).
Old 04-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #1446
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up Thanks! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
My heart bled for you when I saw you looking for parmaq in all the wrong places, and I wrecked my brain quite a bit thinking about what more hints I could give you without spilling the whole thing, but I should have known you would get it in the end. Well done!
Aww! I'm sorry I was so much trouble! Now I see how all your clues work, but before I was stumped. When you said that "hands aren't a bodypart you would usually aim a shot at" is a hint, I thought Errr...it is? It's a bit obvious... *laughs at herself* In your post that was deleted, I thought you merely agreed with my statement...

Enough of my giberish. Here's a riddle that should be interesting enough. The second stanza is probably going to give it away, but without it it sounded too vague.

When we all made up one
Much good was done;
But when split up we did
Many thoughts were hid.

There once was a man -
You may say that we are of him,
Yet he is of us,
As weird as it may seem.

Happy riddling!

Last edited by Galadriel55; 04-27-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #1447
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

*bump*

Yes, WW. I get it But I'm still impatient. Treebeard would be mad.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #1448
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Sorry, G55, this one makes me feel as lost as a hobbit in Moria.

We
in the first stanza could be the world, his wife and his sister-in-law's former roommate's second cousin thrice removed, i.e. more or less everything and everybody - the Children of Ilúvatar, the three Kindreds of the Elves, the Houses of the Edain, the various breeds of Hobbits, the Ainur, the Fellowship, Ents and Entwives, you name it. (OK, it doesn't make that much sense for all and each of them, but you get the picture.)

But it's the second stanza that's really mysterious for me - except I'm wondering whether the man might be nobody from Middle-earth but perhaps the good Professor himself?
Old 05-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #1449
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

You're looking too broad, Pitch. It's more of a little thing, but something that I noticed many people notice. I don't think it's too obscure.

The answer is not a typical one for these riddles. I'll give more clues if needed.

Keep guessing!

Edit: I forgot to say that the "man" is a man from ME. "Man" is very literal and really the word has little impact on the riddle. There's quite a lot of "extra words" there, unlike Legate's riddles, where every word is a clue!

Last edited by Galadriel55; 05-08-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #1450
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Still no luck? Well, here's a clue:

The riddle is more about science than actual events.

I hope this helps!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #1451
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Silmaril I see the light!

It's Saruman and his many colours, right?

Don't think I would ever have guessed that without your 'science' hint - although with hindsight, it's clear that 'split up' had to be taken literally, but the rest was pretty obscure.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #1452
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

You have it, Pitchie! The answer I was looking for is MANY COLOURS. And the man is indeed Saruman.

I didn't think the clue would give it away that much.

Your turn!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #1453
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Thanks! Now try this:

Flew a bird wingless
from a bough leafless
with hair headless,
met a bird featherless,
one fell lifeless.

Merry riddling!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #1454
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Eowyn kills the Nazgul steed, unless my vocabulary is overly chauvinist
Old 05-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #1455
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Nothing wrong with your vocabulary, my lord of Burlach, but that's not it. (Also, I'd like you to explain line by line how your guess fits the riddle!)

Keep trying.

EDIT: Er, just noticed I was a little slow on the uptake there. Still wrong, but much funnier now.

Last edited by Pitchwife; 05-18-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Pitchwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #1456
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Hm. Earendil's battle with Ancalagon?

Flew a bird wingless - Vingilot
from a bough leafless - ...? Dunno
with hair headless,
met a bird featherless, - Ancalagon
one fell lifeless. - him as well

It sounds too much like Ang's guess though.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #1457
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

No, it's not Eärendil and Ancalagon, but you're thinking in the right direction as for the 'bird featherless' (as was Ang). Keep guessing!
Old 05-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #1458
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

argh no, I think I'm solving this against my will - Legolas draws the bow of Galadriel against the Nazgul

Flew a bird wingless - the arrow's flight comes from a bird, I suppose
from a bough leafless - the bow itself
with hair headless, - strung with Galadhrim hair, do I recall?
met a bird featherless, - Beastie from Ye Olde Worlde
one fell lifeless. - one Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaur
Old 05-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #1459
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Thumbs up Bingo!

Correctly guessed and perfectly explained, my lord of Burlach! Thread is yours.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #1460
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

the virtue of pararhyme in the genre of riddling

The second reign
(Via entail)
Of knightly name
Yet raised a smile
Old 05-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #1461
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Paladin II, Took and Thain? Paladins were knight-erranty type bods and Paladin inherited the title from his second cousin. Pippin is the smile? Maybe...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #1462
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Dead right Mith; although actually I meant Paladin's successful resistance, rising rebellion against Sharkey from the Great Smial; but your explanation will do just as well

Well, that was a short reign, over to you...
Old 05-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #1463
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

*pokes Mith*
Old 05-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #1464
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sorry Ang, blame the Royal Wedding for stimulating memories of the laws of primogeniture...

Galadriel, it is your fault if this is rubbish - do get ten days' grace theoretically and poke? How rude!!!

My first isn't in silver - but it is in gold
My second's not in heat - but is in cold
My third is in Alfirin but not Niphredil
(or in Anor but not in Isil)
My fourth is in death but not in life
My fifth is my fourth (the same thing twice)
My sixth is in tear but not in cry
My seventh in land but not in fly
My start is found in mountains' gloom
My end is at a place of doom
If you are puzzled and starting to glower
Think of a bloomer that's also a flower.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #1465
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Sorry sorry. I was impatient. I like this thread (even though I'm bad at riddles).

I love the riddle, and I am completely stumped.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #1466
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Oh, wait! I have an idea...

*gets a piece of paper and writes a bunch of random letters*

Ola... Goa...

GLADDEN!

My answer is Gladden River

My start is found in mountains' gloom - near the Misty Mountains
My end is at a place of doom - Gladden Fields where Isildur was killed
If you are puzzled and starting to glower - which I was until a minute ago
Think of a bloomer that's also a flower. - flower-yes, but bloomer? Well, any flower is a bloomer, so I don't know.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #1467
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Indeed it is the Gladden which rises in the Misty Mountains and ends in the Gladden Fields where it joins the Anduin. The letter clues are thus obvious. The last bit is in the code of English crosswords tells you to think of a flower which is also a river (bloomer= something that blooms ie a flower, flower something that flows, ie a river! But I misled with the rhyme... bad Mith.) So I didn't last much longer than Ang.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #1468
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
The last bit is in the code of English crosswords tells you to think of a flower which is also a river (bloomer= something that blooms ie a flower, flower something that flows, ie a river!)
Ohhh! I get it now!...

Quote:
So I didn't last much longer than Ang.
Neither have I in the majority of my riddles so far.

Gonna post the new riddle in a few minutes...
Old 05-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #1469
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Here it is. Not a very good one. It's probably going to be solved in the next 24h as well.

So alike we,
And yet think differently.

Differently we fair,
Yet a common goal share.

Opposites we are,
Yet alike as star to star.

Between us there stand five,
Yet we were closest... when alive.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #1470
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

My theory is that the good ones are solved quickly ...but I may be comforting myself.

This one is triggering something in the depths of my mind but I am going to have to sleep on it...

Old 05-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #1471
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
My theory is that the good ones are solved quickly
That was what Legate and Pitch told me when Legate solved my first riddle in less than a day. I must say I didn't really believe them... Especially after Legate's riddle took weeks to solve (if my memory is not faulty).

That's not to say that yours isn't good. It is.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 05-26-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #1472
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Pipe Bumpsies

No one?

Is the riddle too hard, forgotten, or simply not good enough to be solved, quickly or otherwise?

True, it's lousy and it lacks inspiration and proper clues. But still. Yeah.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:16 AM   #1473
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

No distracted by other pesky teasers elsewher *coughmiddleearthcough*. OK I have had a couple ideas but nothing that fits.

So I thought of Maedhros and Amras, - eldest and youngest of Feanor's seven sons (between us there stand five) but I don't recall they were particularly close. And naturally he was most alike to his twin.

Anar and Isil - stars and as blooms of the two trees closest when alive but the five I don't get.

Then Saruman and gandalf and the five is wrong again since five in total

Old 06-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #1474
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
No distracted by other pesky teasers elsewher *coughmiddleearthcough*.
Sorry. I didn't mean you specifically, I was talking to everyone in general.

You are somewhat closer with Amras and Maedhros than the others.

The "five" doesn't have to mean "five people".

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-06-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #1475
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
The "five" doesn't have to mean "five people".
I wonder five what it might be, then...

You certainly were not right about this being easy, though. Hmm... curious. My initial idea was Manwë and Melkor, but that does not really fit in many places (especially the "five" and "alive" stuff). And of course, thinking about all sorts of people who have five others between them in their lineages... but then again, since you said it does not have to mean "five people", that sort of goes out of the way...

I'll keep thinking...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #1476
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
You certainly were not right about this being easy, though.
Probably because it lacks proper clues. Let's see... I added some words that might help... the bolded ones are what I added.

So alike we,
And yet think differently.

Differently we fair,
Yet a common goal share.

Opposites we are,
Yet alike as star to star.

Between us there stand five,
Yet we were closest... when both alive.

One went East, another West,
Both were put through a similar test.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #1477
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Elrond and Elros?

Old 06-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #1478
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Elrond and Elros?
No, but I see how that can fit. Don't be discouraged - you're on the right track! Keep guessing!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #1479
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I didn't think it was quite there but close enough to have a punt...

Old 06-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #1480
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I didn't think it was quite there but close enough to have a punt...
No, not quite there yet, but pretty close!