The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2003, 05:35 PM   #1
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting Return of the King photo guide and visual companion available now

I was in Wal-Mart today, and if you were there, you would have seen a distinguished-looking Knight of Gondor carefully combing the children's book section looking for the RotK photo guide and/or visual companion. I finally located it! There's some great pictures there, but not too many that we haven't already seen.<P>There were a few spoilers, but I don't know if I want to post them here or not...most likely I'll just stick them in my Rumors for RotK thread. I didn't want to buy either book, because, let's face it, the only value those things have is pre-movie, and once the movie comes out (O hapy day! O sad day after!) the book sort of doesn't mean much any more.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 07:28 AM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I got the photo guide the day it came out. I'm getting the visual companion either in the post-Xmas/January sales period, or when the dvd comes out (in my local store, you can get it for £2.99 with the dvd, which is how I got the other two VCs)<P>I'm now also contemplating getting Weapons and Warfare. I was flicking through it yesterday, and I spied a whole page on Denethor. Naturally I squealed the place down, and probably soaked the book in drool. I might add it to my Xmas wish list. The book, not the drool, that is.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:42 AM   #3
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I got Weapons and Warfare yesterday! I haven't read it properly yet (just looked at the pictures and read bits here and there) and, judging on what I've seen, I reccomend it. It has information on each individual character's armor and weapons (with lovely lovely Boromir), stuff on all the battles (Last Alliance, Pellennor fields) and lots of lovely lovely pictures! Quite a lot from RotK (especially Minas Tirith- looking good people!) so if your after spoilers have a leaf through. Whilst I was in the book store I looked at the RotK visual companion. I don't own any of them, but again, there were some spoilers and some v.good pictures. <BR>Okay, I'm quite excited now. Time for some reading, methinks!
Old 11-16-2003, 04:07 PM   #4
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i read them both yesterday in teh shop (cheapskate, me?) and wanted to throw the photo guide across the room before perhaps burning it and dancing around the flames:<P>SARUMAN WAS CUT OUT SO ARWEN COULD GET GRIEVOUSLY ILL AND WHINE ABOUT HOW SHE WANTS TO SEE ARAGORN ONE LAST TIME? GIVE ME A BREAK.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:38 PM   #5
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

Uhhh.... What?!!

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 06:32 PM   #6
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I bought the visual companion and the photo guide on friday and they both rock! The pictures are absolutely awesome.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:37 AM   #7
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Ring

Yesterday, I went to Wal-mart and found 2 RotK books, each full of photos. In one, I don't remember which, but I think it was the photo guide, on the last page, it said something to this effect: <BR>((WARNING: may contain spoilers!! If you haven't read the books, you may not want to read this!!))<P><BR>"Gollum was trying to get the ring, but got to Mt. Doom too late."<BR>I don't remember the exact quote, but it said Gollum got to Mt. Doom too late to get the Ring from Frodo and Sam!! I talked it over with 2 of my friends last night, to make sure I wasn't the only one who found that a bit strange, and they agreed with me. He doesn't get there too late!! He takes the Ring from Frodo! They wouldn't change the ending of the movie that much, would they? Wouldn't it be that whoever wrote the book didn't know what they were talking about?? Right??
Old 11-17-2003, 02:34 PM   #8
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ooooooh, i'm getting back into my anti- PJ mood. it always happens when i read the photo guide, ALWAYS.<P>i thought the ROTK guide was a bit stupid really. it told you the whole story. I thought the end was weird too.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:11 PM   #9
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There's lots of mistakes in these types of promotional material, so you have to take it all with a grain of salt. If something sounds wrong (like Gollum not getting to Mount Doom in time to attack Frodo) it very likely is.<P>H.C.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:41 PM   #10
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "Gollum was trying to get the ring, but got to Mt. Doom too late."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Are you freakin serious? Peter Jackson would have gone WAY too far if that is indeed what's going to happen! <P>I went to Media Play on Saturday and I did see ROTK visual companion. I didn't get a chance to actually read it but I did get to flip through it quickly (my friend was getting pretty annoyed that i was spending all my time in the LOTR section). They had some awesome pictures! My money is scarce right now so... I know what's going on my Christmas list. <P>Oh and side note... I believe I've found the answer to all the non-willing-to-read-LOTR people (well maybe...). But while I was at Media Play I saw 'A Dummy's guide to Middle Earth'. Finally! Just what we need!

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 09:24 PM   #11
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I think the "Gollum got there too late" line was just to provide a SMALL amount of an indication as to how it will end. Don't worry, I'm 99% sure that the climax will work out the way we know it. How am I this sure? Here's a hint: the ToyBiz There and Back Again toy line has a Frodo that is apparently missing a finger. (Or something)
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote