The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2002, 04:40 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Tolkien vocabulary II (just for fun)

How about making up our own definitions for archaic or unusual words we find in LotR et al?! (If you've read Douglas Adams' "Meaning of Liff" you know what I'm thinking of.) *thinks hard, trying to find a really fantastic starter that will knock everyone out with its clever wittiness - sigh!*
Oh well, maybe someone else has a great idea!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 10:25 PM   #2
Rachel

Sting

Thats a great idea, I know exactly what you mean... unfortunately I'm not particularly imaginative so I'll leave it to someone else too.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:54 PM   #3
skippy

Sting

same hear I have no imagination.
but it sounds likea realy cool idia.
Old 01-18-2002, 04:49 AM   #4
Rinberethial Bloom
Animated Skeleton

Rinberethial Bloom has just left Hobbiton.
What are we doing? Picking words out of the books and then making new meanings for them? I don't think I quite understand
Rinberethial Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 05:51 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Yes, Rinberethiel, that's the idea. It will work best with unusual words.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-18-2002, 06:05 AM   #6
Rinberethial Bloom
Animated Skeleton

Rinberethial Bloom has just left Hobbiton.
Oh ok well I kinda borrowed the books off a friend and don't have my own copy so I will depart gracefully now while I'm ahead [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Rinberethial Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 07:21 PM   #7
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Just remember, those of you who have read Douglas Adams, that the answer to everything is 42! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2002, 12:21 AM   #8
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

that's all very well...but what's the question????? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 04:58 PM   #9
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
The answer to "any" question in the Douglas Adams books is 42. How about for this group the answer to every question should be "Balrog"?
Old 01-22-2002, 01:50 AM   #10
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Well, the original idea was to make up definitions. So let's finally start it off - I've got one for ya'll. It's a LotR word, but the definition has to do with my favorite forum contributions.

balrog-winging (verb):
discussing, extensively and heatedly, issues of no practical importance, which cannot be resolved due to lack of conclusive proof for any given standpoint
(see also: angel-pinpoint-dancing)

OK, OK, don't you balrog-wingers out there stone me - it's just for fun, remember?!

Now, who'll try next?
Old 01-22-2002, 04:35 AM   #11
Hama
Pile O'Bones

Hama has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What about:

Tolkien: a person who enthusiastically favours collection of fees for passing along roads or motorways.

Mmm. A bit crude. Should encourage everyone else to better it.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:31 AM   #12
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think 'bombadil(l)oism' as a term for chipper and nonsense rhyme, tune, or song has already entered the vocabulary of some board members [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 01:17 AM   #13
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

...but a "bombadilloism" is not to be confused under any circumstances with an "underhilloism", which is an altogether different animal.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 04:43 PM   #14
inglorion
Haunting Spirit

inglorion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was advised to put this in here:
Ballrogue: A thief on parties

greetings, gildor
Old 01-30-2002, 08:47 PM   #15
questor

Sting

excellent job with "ballrogue". that one i'll give credit for.
Old 01-31-2002, 02:53 PM   #16
KayQy
Wight

KayQy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to KayQy
Pipe

Withywindle:

The tendency of cigarette smoke to drift towards the only non-smoker at the table.

--OC Supertones, "Wilderness"

"Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter." -- Max Beerbohm
KayQy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 04:46 PM   #17
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

arago (verb): (1) to measure a given distance with large and proud steps, while maintaining a kingly posture (aprox. synonyme: stride)
(2) to walk for long miles without tiring easily,as in: They arawent forty leagues and five in pursuit of their hobbit friends ere the fourth day ended.

Great idea - to make up a language from Tolkien words! Maybe we'll start using it too, and have others stare at us like we're mad!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: Evisse the Blue ]
Old 08-20-2003, 05:01 PM   #18
tinewelt
Haunting Spirit

tinewelt has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Silmarils: A type of street potion, consisting of 3 different types of drugs. Cocaine, Meth, and Heroine. Posesses unbelievable powers that cause strangers and brothers alike to swear an oath to kill anyone else who has it, and then take it to their father.
tinewelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:14 PM   #19
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

gollumic: (adj.) 1. To be in a state of disagreement with yourself 2. Used to describe one who has been consumed by an obssession

samwise: (n.) (colloquial) One who is loyal

mandos: (v.) To proclaim doom; to see the dark side of things

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:49 PM   #20
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Howsabout this:

arwen (verb):
to steal the job of another. a heinous crime committed mostly by Elves and Ambitious Wizards. (synonyms include: nick, gyp, and over-achieve)

Probably not as funny to you all as it is to me...

Fea
Old 08-20-2003, 09:05 PM   #21
ainur
Haunting Spirit

ainur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How about:
Legolass: An intelligent, pre-teenaged girl with too much time on her hands.

(I guess that's more a movie reference)

[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: ainur ]
Old 08-20-2003, 09:56 PM   #22
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Intelligent?
Old 08-20-2003, 10:21 PM   #23
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Sorry for pulling a burra, I could not resist. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] So here's my contribution:

Woses: People who suppose their toes to be roses (erroneously).

Rings of Power: Especially pungent onion rings, deep deep fried.

Dunland: A wasteland of, well, waste.

Morannan: An annonymous moron, who drops into literature based forums and posts stupid things. Also see, Legolass.

Túna: Really expensive tuna.

Kingsfoil: Really expensive tinfoil.

Mûmakil: Matricide.

Flame of Udûn: An excellent name for a rock band.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:29 AM   #24
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Wow, who would have thought that my old thread would see daylight again?! Seeing it in action, and now having the responsibility to do something about it, I have decided to move it to the Middle-Earth Mirth forum, since it is not a serious book discussion. Carry on there, please - I look forward to more fun definitions!
Old 08-21-2003, 02:54 AM   #25
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey, this is an amazing idea for a thread!
Here are my contributions to The Barrow Downs Tolkienism ADDICTIONary

Burrahobbit 1. (n.) An inexperienced burglar. 2.(n.) A deceiver of trolls. 3. (proper noun) A rather famous frequenter of the Barrow-Downs.

Grima (n.) a deceptive, undependable bootlick who seeks personal gain. Usually clings to people of influence, in the pretense of giving wise advice. (syn. wormtongue)

Foolofatook 1. (n.) an intrepid person who acts in a manner that is naive, careless and / or causes trouble. 2. (interjection) An expression of frustration or disappointment at someone's foolish behavior, as in, "You Foolofatook!".

Pippinism The deeds or words of one who is a foolofatook.

Snowmane (n.) a faithful friend who later becomes the cause of downfall - in a literal of figurative sense.

Vala (n.) one whom you admit is way better than yourself.

[ August 21, 2003: Message edited by: Kaiserin ]
Old 08-21-2003, 03:32 AM   #26
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Ainur - adj of, relating to, characterized by, or being personality traits (as parsimony, meticulousness, and ill humor) considered typical of fixation at the Ainur stage of development.

IE - "Man, that Celeborn's really Ainur about how tidy Lothlorien is!"

Examples could have included Gandalf and his staff, or Bilbo and his Ring, but they seemed inappropriate.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:55 AM   #27
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Denethoric: having to do with fire or an obsession with fire.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:38 AM   #28
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Mordorous-eye (subst) - found in such expressions as
- 'to bear a mordorous eye against someone' - to bear a grudge against someone who posseses something that you hold dear
- 'to give someone the mordorous eye' - to take revenge on someone whom you're jealous of and/or you believe dispossesed you of something you hold very dear

Pippin trippin' = to behave in a childish and careless manner when important things are being discussed and /or when your life is in mortal danger. As in The barowdowners know it's no good to be pippin-trippin' in the books forum.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:39 AM   #29
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Preciousss (n.) an object of greed, which, when posessed, provokes the Morderous-eye upon oneself.

Quote:
Mordorous-eye (subst) - found in such expressions as
- 'to bear a mordorous eye against someone' - to bear a grudge against someone who posseses something that you hold dear
- 'to give someone the mordorous eye' - to take revenge on someone whom you're jealous of and/or you believe dispossesed you of something you hold very dear
Shadowfax (n.) a telecommunications device that can only be used in darkness.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:13 AM   #30
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Silmaril

Quote:
Preciousss (n.) an object of greed, which, when posessed, provokes the Morderous-eye upon oneself
I particularly like the spelling of that word! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

(to be) Beornagain (expression)= 1. to shapeshift 2. (fig): to pass from a state of calm relaxation to one of blood thirsty bestiality with a tendency to act upon your violent impulses - as in [I]Man, when I watch The Lord of the Rings movies, I really feel beornagain[/I.

Tolkien (see some posts above for another definition): somebody whose hobby is creating languages
Old 08-23-2003, 01:42 PM   #31
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Barliman=(noun)person who forgets things easily

Eagle=war helicopter/ aeroplane

Caradhras=(1.noun)blizzard, (2.adj)snowy
Old 08-23-2003, 04:01 PM   #32
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

pull a burra (action):

1) to groom your dog after a romp through thistles
2) to harshly disprove theories with as few words as possible; tends to scare people (please, Mr. Burrahobbit, sir, don't yell at me!)

Fea
Old 08-23-2003, 05:38 PM   #33
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
The Eye

I'll expand on Feanor's post:

pull a burra: (expression, especially on the Barrow-Downs) to say something in a very terse and succint manner.

EDIT: Evisse, I've found yours especially amusing. I will cast no Mordorous eyes upon you. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ August 23, 2003: Message edited by: Luthien_ Tinuviel ]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 06:10 PM   #34
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Sting

Thanks, Luthien! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Not to appear gollumic or anything, but I can't keep away from this thread [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . I just love making up crazy definitions and reading others'!

Galadridillyc (tongue-twister, eh? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] = a place or atmosphere that is enriched by the mere presence of someone special ("When she's around, the worst gutter seems galadridyllic").

Saurreoneus = 1. someone who may be smart but fails to see the obvious because of his egocentred nature.
2. someone who has a great deal a power and wits but uses it to do great evil.
3. a politician.
(Is it just me, or do 2 and 3 overlap??) [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ August 23, 2003: Message edited by: Evisse the Blue ]
Old 08-23-2003, 06:24 PM   #35
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Quote:
Said by Sharkû: 'bombadil(l)oism' as a term for chipper and nonsense rhyme, tune, or song
Brilliant!!

Quote:
Said by Evisse the Blue: They arawent forty leagues and five in pursuit of their hobbit friends ere the fourth day ended.
*Laughs* Ahh…*wipes tear*…loved that one

Quote:
Said by Kaiserin: The Barrow Downs Tolkienism ADDICTIONary
Yet another good one!

Alright now for my measly attempts:

glorfingel : adj : 1.a. invisible; not visible to the eye; unseeable, undetectable, infinitesimal. b. artfully concealed so as to be imperceptible; veiled, covert, masked. 2. lost; not present. (see absent) [I.E.> [i] When his position in the film was arwened*, he remained glorfingel throughout the trilogy's theatrical production. [I] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] (see arwen)

[to pull a] "glorfingel" : v : 1. to be cheated of one's rights; deceived. 2. to disappear without explanation.

númenór : adj : 1. good-looking or attractive. (for adj. See also BEAUTIFUL) 2. imposing or attractive. (for adj. see IMPRESSIVE) n. númenórean [I.E.> The man with his númenór appearance dominated the hearts of all the young ladies in the court during the ball.

That's it for now. This is a cute thread!

-Maikafanawen
Old 08-24-2003, 07:26 AM   #36
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

amon sûl=adj. for describing an old and ruined building

palantír=1. computer 2. telephone
to palantíro=1. email to someone,also chat 2. call somebody

This is nice thread but my English skills could be little better...very annoying feeling when you know exactly what you want to say and then you just can't translate it to English [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ August 26, 2003: Message edited by: dancing spawn of ungoliant ]
Old 08-25-2003, 11:35 AM   #37
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Sting

Inspired by Feanor's post:

twotowerism: (to pull a twotowerism): 1. to reveal one's lack of knowledge on a matter by making false statements that you sell as absolute truths. (ex: They really pulled a twotowerism when they claimed Tolkien's books were racist.
2. to reveal oneself as a non fan of something in the midst of a group of devoted fans. (ex: Gee, you shouldn't have yelled 'Star Trek sucks' at that convention. That was a damned twotowerism and it was bound to get you in trouble.

EDIT: As it has been pointed out to me that my post has been misunderstood, I feel the need to explain it:

My definitions for
twotowerism allude to the same people that Feanor alluded to - the ones that campaigned against the release of TTT on the pretext of the title holding negative connotations [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] . It's those people that reveal themselves as non fans, and reveal their own stupidity in the process. I hope Feanor's post will be posted back; because it was a very funny one, and inpsirational too - my own post contributed to,not dissed, Feanor's post. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ August 25, 2003: Message edited by: Evisse the Blue ]
Old 08-25-2003, 07:23 PM   #38
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Quenya - Any mode of speech that is extamporaneously verbose and flowery -- overly formal

Gimli - a small person with a very short temper, characterized by an obsession with golden locks of hair cut from the head of an Elf and keeping count of the number of Orcs slain.

Souron - a person who has withstood many defeats, and has lived far longer than their normal lifespan, resulting in a shriveled appearance much resembling a sour fruit.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 04:53 AM   #39
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Legolas (n) - An unpopular or hated person, esp. due to hanger's on and followers/worshippers.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 07:12 AM   #40
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Alrighty, after a slight misunderstanding, and then an excellent [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] clarification, here is my last post, as close as I can remember it.

The Two Towers (Proper noun):

1) best movie currently in existence
2) best book-to-movie ever (IMHO)
3) (concerning non-Tolkienites) a rather confusing title that causes an influx of questions as to the existence of a film about the attack on the World Trade Center. frustrates and infuriates True Tolkienites by forcing them to explain that although there are insane terrorists working in conjunction (Saruman and Sauron), two large important towers, airplanes (see eagles*), and many every-day heros saving the world as we know it (soldiers and little people with big burdens), that there is NO connection whatsoever. None. So there. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Fea