The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2004, 11:22 AM   #1
thephantomcredits
Animated Skeleton

thephantomcredits has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Tied to the ring

If Gollum just would have accidentally dropped the ring into the fires of mount doom and it was destroyed, would gollum just shrivel up and die? Would his age catch up to him instantly?
Old 01-24-2004, 12:05 PM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I don't think that it would catch up to him instantly. The same thing that happened to Bilbo would have happened to him, except probably at a much faster rate, since he had kept the Ring for a much longer time, and had grown much more dependent on it.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 12:43 PM   #3
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

I don't think it would have mattered how quickly his age would catch up to him, he probably would jump after it as soon as he realized it was falling.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:36 PM   #4
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

I agree with Elennar. If someone is ready to walk hundreds of miles and bite off one's finger (not to mention the rest) to get the ring, he don't just watch his preciousss melting in the fires.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:16 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I believe this topic was discussed an age ago, before my departure from the board for months on end. I think the idea was brought up (perhaps from one of the Histories?) that Gollum would have had a touching death scene in Frodo's arms on the slopes of Amon Amarth.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 02:48 PM   #6
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

The weird thing is that Gollum didn't seem to age after Biblo took the ring but after the ring passed to Frodo, Biblo aged significantly. I wonder why this is?

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 10:12 PM   #7
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Um, I don't think Gollum could have aged physically any more than he already had. He had lived with it for hundreds of years, and his life was tied in to it so much. It depended on it.

Bilbo carried the Ring much less, and I believe his innocence of spirit or something kept him from severe negative affects. In the books, Bilbo aged, yes, but probably not physically like he did in the movies. (That was sad! What'd they do that for? He was capable of riding a horse in the book)
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:14 PM   #8
Osse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Osse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gollum did not age physically however, he aged mentally quite drastically, he became completely tired and even more wretched...

Osse
Old 01-28-2004, 01:34 AM   #9
Telperion

Sting

I'm a new member of this forum!

Well...this question about Gollum..I've read it in another forum and I've made some thoughts on it since then. Perhaps its due to Gollum's already twisted spirit that caused him live longer than Bilbo. The Ring's evil power had truly eaten him fast and straightaway because Gollum himself had this evil quality in him... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2004, 01:14 AM   #10
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

i think gollum would die instantly after the ring is destroyed ,he would be old and then die . something like what happened to bilbo i guess
Old 02-02-2004, 11:00 AM   #11
ainur
Haunting Spirit

ainur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

First, I agree that the portrayal in the film was sad and just wrong. They aged him far too much.

In the book, I think that Bilbo aged after he gave up the Ring just as he would have going forward from when he acquired it and Gollum did not. I think that has to do with how they got rid of it. Bilbo gave it up willingly, where-as Gollum simply "lost" it (or it lost him!) The ring continued to work on Gollum because he never gave it up, while Bilbo "felt better immediately" as Gandalf said. The Ring controlled Gollum, but Bilbo was in control of the Ring (or at least it's effect on him). An important difference, I think.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:43 PM   #12
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

The idea of Gollum is something like the Nazgul- he's been under the influence of the ring for so long, that he's inextricably tied to it. Bilbo, who had for far less time, and indeed gave it freely, was not so tied in. And Frodo aged while wearing the ring, from the constant drag on his spirit when the ring was no longer dormant.
Also, the idea that Frodo attempted to get rid of the ring, and that Bilbo gives it up on his own, speaks very highly of the hobbits. Isildur had it for five minutes and couldn't let go. Boromir never touched it and look what happened to him. Even Galadriel had problems refusing the ring. I think the naturally humble and simple life of the Hobbit aided the cause greatly. Even Gollum showed remarkable hardiness as he lasted as long as he did with out losing his own ideas.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote