The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2017, 05:57 AM   #1
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien Tolkien Events 2017

A very late thread here; but I think some people would like to post about Tolkien related events this year.

I'll be going to Oxonmoot 2017 in September, having booked my place. Is anyone else here also going there?
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:13 AM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I believe Poison Ivy is going. I won't be (again) but I have a good excuse this year - being "godmother of the bride" that Saturday.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'll be there.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:00 AM   #4
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots Is anyone else coming?

I'm sad to read you won't be coming, Mithalwen; but I understand that these important family events take priority...

It's good to read that Poison Ivy will be coming, and I look forward to seeing you again, Pervinca. Is anyone else coming?
Old 08-10-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien Oxonmoot

If anyone needs further reasons to come to Oxonmoot, I'll be giving a talk on "Advanced Materials in the Legendarium".
Hope to see many of you there!
Old 08-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #6
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White-Hand Good to know!

That's good to know, Might! I'll be giving a talk on the Silmarils myself.

Like him, I hope to see many people here at the 'moot!
Old 08-30-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

I'll be there this year. I left it a bit late to get a room for Thursday, but I'll get there as early as I can on Friday. It's always good to see the Downs represented in the lectures. Should be fun.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:03 AM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir Jones View Post
I'm sad to read you won't be coming, Mithalwen; but I understand that these important family events take priority...

It's good to read that Poison Ivy will be coming, and I look forward to seeing you again, Pervinca. Is anyone else coming?
Having endured the geriatric hen event for the "old boilers" of the bride's acquaintance, I really wish I was coming to Oxonmoot instead. I really thought the Bridezilla thing was a myth and I thought G/D was least likely to be afflicted but aieeee ...for some reason I have Dowland's "Me, me and none but me" as an ear worm now. I can't even do my usual trick of getting hopelessly lost on the way since it is to be in the town where I spent my university summers working in Tourist Information.

At least returning to my old stamping ground meant I caught up with Poison Ivy who is not only attending but is going to be looking after the first timers. Consequently she has decided she won't be doing anything in the ents this time but we did play around with a few ideas for future sketches. Just hope I can make better progress with Gil-galad on "Who do you think you are?" than with the Oxonmoot paper I started about a decade ago and which remains spectacularly unfinished.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up I'll see you there!

I'll see you there, Squatter! Good to read that you'll be coming.

I hope the wedding goes okay, Mithalwen. I was interested to read about 'the Oxonmoot paper I started about a decade ago and which remains spectacularly unfinished'. If you think I could help you finish it, please get in touch.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Gosh that might help focus the mind wonderfully. I have, I think, an interesting topic but potentially a very wide one and structure and organisation not my strongest suit. I will assume it is a serious offer and PM you but of course you are under no obligation should the game not be worth the candle.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:05 PM   #11
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White-Hand Thanks for the PM, to which I've replied

Mithalwen, thanks for the PM, to which I've replied, with apologies for the delay. My offer is a serious one: because, as you say, it's 'an interesting topic but potentially a very wide one'. We can discuss it in more detail in private.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:01 AM   #12
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420! Oxonmoot 2017

I've just put up a thread about Oxonmoot 2017.