The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-14-2010, 05:18 AM   #1
morwen edhelwen
Haunting Spirit

morwen edhelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Comparisons and similarities in books, TV shows or movies?

Would anyone like to contribute to this thread about similarities to Tolkien stories in books they've read and movies or TV shows they've seen? -Morwen.
morwen edhelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
There are quite a few similarities in the science fiction show "Babylon 5" - I posted about them on a separate thread (to which I can't link right now, since I'm online from someone else's computer).

Morwen, would you please repost your thoughts on the Luthien/Bewitched similarities? I deleted the original threads at your request.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 07-14-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
morwen edhelwen
Haunting Spirit

Well Estelyn

Thanks. This is meant as a general comparison thread. The parallels are very thin. The basic idea- beautiful, immortal woman marries an ordinary man and the heroine's parents are opposed- is the same, although the series was inspired by movies with a similar plotline and there is no "quest for the daughter's hand".
Old 07-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
PrinceOfTheHalflings
Wight

PrinceOfTheHalflings is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morwen edhelwen View Post
Thanks. This is meant as a general comparison thread. The parallels are very thin. The basic idea- beautiful, immortal woman marries an ordinary man and the heroine's parents are opposed- is the same, although the series was inspired by movies with a similar plotline and there is no "quest for the daughter's hand".
There's dozens of points of comparison between Babylon 5 and The Lord of the Rings/Silmarillion. Not least a character rather like Eärendil who also has a name meaning "Morning Star" - Entil'zha. And the Silmarils are paralleled in the "triluminaries". The planet "Z'Ha'dum" harbours an ancient evil that has been buried for centuries - just like the almost identical sounding Khazad-dűm which harbours a Balrog buried in its lowest depths. I'm not really a Babylon 5 fan, but there's loads of these comparison.
PrinceOfTheHalflings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Lord of the Elfstones

I can think of nothing that imitates LotR's more than The Sword of Shannara. The characters are almost identical, some are an amalgam of two in one, where others are parts of one. The Quest as such follows closely, getting caught in a misty wood meeting a Mist Wraith (Barrow-wight), getting to a sanctuary called Culhaven (Rivendell) escaping the Skull Bearers (Ringwraiths). They go through an underground area called The Hall of the Kings, then have to fight a monster at the end (a mix of The Watcher in the Deep and The Balrog). The ultimate aim of the quest is to destroy The Warlock Lord (The Dark Lord).
Old 08-16-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
morwen edhelwen
Haunting Spirit

The Sword of Shannara...

I read that. In my opinion it was okay...
-Morwen.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morwen edhelwen View Post
I read that. In my opinion it was okay...
-Morwen.
Yes I enjoyed it also, in fact I have read all the subsequent Shanarra novels, and will continue to do so. The point I was making was, that it was , and is still is considered to be the closest thing to a copy of The Lord of the Rings. Brooks improved a great deal from this first book, and openly admits to borrowing from Tolkien.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
morwen edhelwen
Haunting Spirit

Yeah

Yeah... but at least he didn't make the sword into an evil device. It was used to kill the "Dark Lord" character and meant to be "good" not evil like the Ruling Ring. That's one difference. And the history of his world is different- post-apocalyptic instead of a fictional past... -Morwen.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:59 AM   #9
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
I noticed a few names that sounded suspiciously similar to Tolkien's work when I read A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. For example, Tyrion, Valar morghulis, Daeron etc. I read a lot more, but right now I'm running out But Martin happened to let slip that Tolkien had a huge influence on his work.
However, I must admit, Martin clearly made his own, very original plot line and characters. In truth, and it pains me to say this, his characters are much more developed than Tolkien's, who made it a general rule (with a few exceptions) that beautiful=good and ugly=bad. Martin works the other way round. Most of the ugly characters are good ones, and many, many of the beautiful ones are evil to the core. Plus, the story is based on the medieval era, and I wouldn't exactly qualify it as 'fantasy'. Low fantasy perhaps, but nothing more. Anybody read it?

Last edited by Galadriel; 10-11-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:04 AM   #10
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc View Post
I can think of nothing that imitates LotR's more than The Sword of Shannara.
I fell asleep when I tried to read that. But I've heard it's almost a copy.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:12 AM   #11
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel
I noticed a few names that sounded suspiciously similar to Tolkien's work when I read A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. For example, Tyrion, Valar morghulis, Daeron etc. I read a lot more, but right now I'm running out But Martin happened to let slip that Tolkien had a huge influence on his work.
However, I must admit, Martin clearly made his own, very original plot line and characters. In truth, and it pains me to say this, his characters are much more developed than Tolkien's, who made it a general rule (with a few exceptions) that beautiful=good and ugly=bad. Martin works the other way round. Most of the ugly characters are good ones, and many, many of the beautiful ones are evil to the core. Plus, the story is based on the medieval era, and I wouldn't exactly qualify it as 'fantasy'. Low fantasy perhaps, but nothing more. Anybody read it?
Yep. Personally, I enjoyed it, but Martin is not among my favouritest fantasy authors. Could do with a bit more simplicity, not so archetypal female characters and less bloodshed. (When every second character dies, at some point you stop empathising with them because you don't want to get attached to a character who is very likely to die anyway...)

Although, if you or someone else simply wants to recommend or briefly discuss fantasy books otherwise than just in relation with Tolkien, there is this thread: What other fantasy books do YOU read?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:28 AM   #12
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Although, if you or someone else simply wants to recommend or briefly discuss fantasy books otherwise than just in relation with Tolkien, there is this thread: What other fantasy books do YOU read?
Thanks