The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-28-2002, 03:39 AM   #1
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Ann-thennath

Was anything ever written concerning the rules and frame of the from of poetry? I like to write poetry and it would be fun if I could put a poem in this form. I have tried to figure it out using the one poem in this form that I know of, The Tale of Luthien Tinuviel and Beren, but I have had no luck.
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
As far as I know, ann-thenath is any Elven song - ie any poe that has a melody to it, or something like that.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
There is an essay by Patrick Wynne and Carl Hostetter, "Three Elvish Verse Modes", that appeared in the collection Tolkien's Legendarium, that discusses Ann-thennath. Though we have almost no information about this verse form, they tease out several possibilities concerning it from the one example we have (Aragorn's song of Beren and Luthien) and from the name, which seems to mean something like "long-shorts" or "longs and shorts". They raise some interesting ideas, but ultimately we are limited by the fact that we don't know how closely the English translation of the song preserves whatever features define the mode. Still, you might want to read the Wynne-Hostetter essay if you can find it.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil View Post
There is an essay by Patrick Wynne and Carl Hostetter, "Three Elvish Verse Modes", that appeared in the collection Tolkien's Legendarium, that discusses Ann-thennath. Though we have almost no information about this verse form, they tease out several possibilities concerning it from the one example we have (Aragorn's song of Beren and Luthien) and from the name, which seems to mean something like "long-shorts" or "longs and shorts". They raise some interesting ideas, but ultimately we are limited by the fact that we don't know how closely the English translation of the song preserves whatever features define the mode. Still, you might want to read the Wynne-Hostetter essay if you can find it.
But look on the bright side: no-one can point the finger and say you did it wrong. Why not just emulate the fairly simple form of Aragorn's song, and not worry too much about whether it's "real" ann-thennath?