The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-13-2003, 11:10 PM   #41
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Erm, the Grey Havens is in Middle-earth. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2003, 12:20 AM   #42
dubleu
Pile O'Bones

dubleu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Techniquely i suppose this is true however it is a "seperate land" and is their fore usually spoken of seperately
Old 12-14-2003, 01:09 AM   #43
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

As 'separate' as The Shire perhaps? I think they speak of it as a place in Middle Earth

I would go to the Grey Havens to get to Valinori think it would be the most interesting place to live.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 03:23 PM   #44
dubleu
Pile O'Bones

dubleu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When i say seperate i mean they take a boat tere [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2003, 05:58 PM   #45
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
When i say seperate i mean they take a boat tere
No, they take a boat from there.

Grey Havens is a translation of the Sindarin name Mithlond, the Elven harbour and city that lay on the Mouth of the river Lhun, ie in Middle-earth. Cirdan the Shipwright was Lord of the Havens, and it was from here that Elves departing Middle-earth sailed west to Aman, the Undying Lands.

I trust that clears up this issue. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:59 PM December 14, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 12-17-2003, 08:49 PM   #46
Shenaran
Pile O'Bones

Shenaran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Who ever said it is right Gray Havens is in Middle Earth....I sure they meant leave Middle Earth via Gray Havens...

I personally would stay for a while.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:05 PM   #47
lord_of_rohan2003
Animated Skeleton

lord_of_rohan2003 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

If I were a elf I would go after a 1000 year tour of the regular lands..but other then that I would just stay.Theres always the Shire to visit,Rohan,Gpndor and othe cool plases to see and live in.
lord_of_rohan2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:21 PM   #48
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think it would ultimately depend on the circumstances - if I was Arwen or Luthien, I'd have done exactly what they did, sure. But if it was just up to me and not based on any other people's actions or circumstances, I think I would probably be on the ship to Valinor, because I would want to take the opportunity to see something new. (This of course assumes that I've already been in ME for a couple of thousand years and am pretty familiar with it.) But I think a part of my heart would always mourn and be sad for the beauty that I've left behind.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 06:37 PM   #49
Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock
Animated Skeleton

Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I would say I would want to go to the gray Hevens. I would love to spend eternety in paradice insted of a living heck
Old 01-31-2004, 07:02 AM   #50
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

if i were am elf from thranduil i would not leave middle earth

but just reside in the realm of king aragorn till the end of his days and then perhaps go to the grey heavens
Old 01-31-2004, 07:26 AM   #51
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well... Sooner or later, all elves have to leave middle earth. There is no choice. The fourth age is the age of Men, and elves have no place - they must either go to Valinor or fade away and die - who would then go to the Halls of MAndos and then go to Valinor later on.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #52
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
I'd probably tour Middle-earth for as long as Galadriel (from the time the Noldor returned), and then go to Valinor
Old 11-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #53
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I would probably do the same as Legolas - stay for a while, until it's worth it. I feel sorry for people like Gimli.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #54
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
I'd probably tour Middle-earth for as long as Galadriel (from the time the Noldor returned), and then go to Valinor
Hear, hear!

I would explore it until I have satisfied my curiosity, then I would sail to Valinor. But it's as someone stated previously, either way, all elves go to Valinor sooner or later. If not by sailing, they are reincarnated from the Halls of Mandos.
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:23 AM   #55
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
If you are of the Umanyar, you are not reincarnated. Once you die you stay permenantly in the Halls of Mandos. I think that's mentioned in Morgoth's Ring. It seems pretty unfair that these Elves are denied the chanced to stretch their legs in Valinor cause of something that happened thousands and thousands of years ago. I think it's mentioned in the same book the the Umanyar don't even speak to the other Elves in the Halls.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #56
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Middle Earth - that's where all the fun is. Sure, the elves *did stuff* in Ages past when in Valinor, but that just led to problems, and so surely Manwe has put a stop to all creativity now.

And I know that the 'left behind' elves of Middle Earth suffer bouts of melancholy, but with all of the new things that appear in Middle Earth (hobbits, humans, etc), I think that I could stave off the blues for a good while.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #57
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Middle-earth. Valinor is like an Elvish retirement community. Who wants to play shuffleboard and canasta for eternity? Plus there's all that bowing and scraping to the Valar. No thanks.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #58
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There's a *reason* the elves fled Valinor, and why Manwe (finally realizing the danger) walled the place off to us mortals.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #59
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
If you are of the Umanyar, you are not reincarnated. Once you die you stay permenantly in the Halls of Mandos. I think that's mentioned in Morgoth's Ring. It seems pretty unfair that these Elves are denied the chanced to stretch their legs in Valinor cause of something that happened thousands and thousands of years ago. I think it's mentioned in the same book the the Umanyar don't even speak to the other Elves in the Halls.
'Tis very true, I actually forgot the Umanyar. It's been so long, I need to brush back up on everything. I do agree though, it is very unfair to them.

The points you guys raise does make one reconsider their choice...Middle Earth is pretty sizeable, after all. A whole lot of traveling to do and places to see.

Morthoron...Picturing Lord Celeborn and Lord Elrond playing shuffleboard...it's priceless!
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #60
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo
If you are of the Umanyar, you are not reincarnated. Once you die you stay permenantly in the Halls of Mandos. (...)
I don't recall this myself. Maybe I'm off but maybe you're thinking of the idea that those Unbodied Elves who refuse the summons of Mandos -- that is, Elves who had died but refused to go to Mandos in spirit -- were not allowed to be re-born. At this stage Tolkien still imagined that Elves were reborn as elf-children incidentally, but he ultimately abandoned this form of reincarnation.

Quote:
I think it's mentioned in the same book the the Umanyar don't even speak to the other Elves in the Halls.
The re-born reported that there is little communing of kind with kind, or of any one fea with another, for the houseless fea is solitary by nature '... and turned toward those with whom, maybe, if formed strong bonds of love in life.' Morgoth's Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eorl of Rohan
Well... Sooner or later, all elves have to leave middle earth. There is no choice. The fourth age is the age of Men, and elves have no place - they must either go to Valinor or fade away and die - who would then go to the Halls of MAndos and then go to Valinor later on.
As noted, Elves who die can refuse Mandos and remain in Middle-earth. Morgoth's Ring also mentions the Lingerers (faded Elves), but fading in the body does not equate to death.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #61
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Being any elf is pretty tiresome, really. How do they not get bored of living for milleniia, in Valinor or in ME? I'm tired of the world at the age of 13; imagine how I'd feel if I was an elf, destined to live for...well, forever. I much prefer humans.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:18 AM   #62
Almesiva Moonshadow
Animated Skeleton

Almesiva Moonshadow has just left Hobbiton.
I personally think I would stay in Middle Earth...
...Valinor just sounds soooo dull and boring...
Almesiva Moonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #63
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almesiva Moonshadow View Post
...Valinor just sounds soooo dull and boring...
Yes! You don't do anything except for have fun! Fun is good, but it's even better when you do other things as well. Not that I blame Frodo for leaving ME, but he's no elf, and I'm not Frodo. I wouldn't leave all the wonders of ME just for Valinor.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:02 AM   #64
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Yes! You don't do anything except for have fun! Fun is good, but it's even better when you do other things as well. Not that I blame Frodo for leaving ME, but he's no elf, and I'm not Frodo. I wouldn't leave all the wonders of ME just for Valinor.
Valinor really does seem like an old-age home, doesn't it? The only reason I'd go is because of that silly curse, that all elves will grow weary of ME eventually.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:03 AM   #65
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Being any elf is pretty tiresome, really. How do they not get bored of living for milleniia, in Valinor or in ME? I'm tired of the world at the age of 13; imagine how I'd feel if I was an elf, destined to live for...well, forever. I much prefer humans.
Lol, true that! Though I wouldn't mind recovering from injuries quickly and being tall. I'm really small
Old 11-22-2010, 06:26 AM   #66
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

And I wouldn't mind being able to tell a finch from a sparrow from a mile away
My eyesight is pretty bad.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #67
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
And I wouldn't mind being able to tell a finch from a sparrow from a mile away
My eyesight is pretty bad.
Oh yeah. I hate bad eyesight