The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-21-2002, 01:02 PM   #1
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Boromir's horn

In the fight scene, just before he dies, Boromir's horn is cloven in half but I have yet to pinpoint when it actually is. If there is already a topic on this, please direct me to it. Ta!
Old 11-21-2002, 08:39 PM   #2
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I've noticed this discrepency too. From what I can tell the first shot of his broken horn is after the third arrow. All shots before it show the horn as whole.
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 07:30 PM   #3
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dűm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Turoch on this one.<P>Burzdol
Old 05-27-2003, 07:32 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

It is possible that the actual cleaving of the horn will be shown in flashbacks when Pippin is telling Denethor how exactly Boromir died. I know that PJ is going to tell quite a bit about Boromir and Faramir in flashbacks, so he probably will include that little scene.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:39 PM   #5
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's possible an orc sword caught the horn as well. Don't expect to see this. The horn was not something that was made a big deal of in the movie so a shot of it actually being broken was likely never made.<P>The cleaved horn being in at all was for fans of the book.<P>H.C.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:12 PM   #6
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is a picture of someone holding the cloven horn in RotK at councilofelrond. So I wouldn't give up all hope of it's details being left out.

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 06:16 PM   #7
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

There's a picture of what looks like Faramir holding the horn. I think that will be for the special edition Two Towers. I'm just saying, don't expect to see a shot of how it got split in two. It really isn't particularly relevant.<P>H.C.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:03 PM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

That's true. And PJ has proved himself to be a stickler for only relevant things. Look at all the "irrelevant" characters that he's cut. He even cut the El-twins! He probably isn't going to bother about a "minor" scene like that.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 07:56 PM   #9
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I thought throwing Aragorn over a cliff was irrelevant but that's another thread... ok anyways *ahem* since there is a scene of someone holding the horn, there will be something said of it, but not necesarily how it was split. That was my original point, I should have made myself more clear. But I too have wondered why they included showing the split horn but not exactly how it was done.

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 08:44 PM   #10
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

All I'm saying is how the horn got split is not particularly relevant. Tolkien didn't talk about it either. It got split in battle, that's enough.<P>H.C.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:59 PM   #11
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

Think of the audiences that Jackson had to produce the movies for. Do you think that the majority of people would've enjoyed a close-up on his horn being smashed, or some orc heads rolling about more?<BR>Even though I'm a huge fan of the books, I would still rather see orc heads flying more than horn shards.<BR>~Scott
Old 09-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
I think it happend after the 2nd arrow hit him but i'm not sure. It also looked like he got wacked in the stomache with a sword too.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote