The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2003, 11:22 PM   #1
Erunno of Mirkwood

Sting Middle Earth RPG

Suillinan, I was wondering if any of my fellow Dungeons and Dragons 3rd Edition players could help me out. My friends and I are willing to move our campaign to Middle Earth however I don't have the time nor patience to write the specifics, such as species, locations, magic... etc. I was wondering if anyone out here could help me find my way? You know, nudge me to the light in the dark? Thanks. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2003, 08:49 AM   #2
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey there, I have some experience with D&D, and I think it really doesn't fit with Tolkien all that well. At least, you'd have to do MAJOR revisions to all sorts of stats and allowances. These are things which discouraged me from some of D&D to begin with as well, because I didn't feel they got a lot of things "right" (to me, right is as Tolkien had it, which of course wasn't their intention, but...). I've tried to adjust things in D&D before, but it never quite worked out...

However, I just got my hands on the new LotR RPG system from Decipher, using their CODA system, and after reading the core rule book, it looks like an excellent game. It seems to both have a lot of details right and maintain an easy and sensible style of gameplay. It's quite similar to D&D in a lot of ways, but specifically tailored to Tolkien's world, a goal which I think they have achieved very well. I also think it's a better game system underneath as well. I'd recommend checking it out rather than completely reworking your D&D--it won't take that long to learn if you are an experienced RPGer.

If you don't want to switch systems, you could at least have a look at some of the sourcebooks--stat conversion shouldn't be too hard and it will describe the locations, enemies, etc. very well. I'm not sure all D&D characters will fit in ME, however, so it may depend on who's in your party...

[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: Dain ]
Old 03-18-2003, 11:07 PM   #3
Erunno of Mirkwood

Sting

Thanks for the info my friend, this should help greatly. My party and I are going to continue to move our campaign to ME and simply pull some of the monsters out. That may work as well. Thanks for the tips and I'll be sure to keep your words in mind.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:40 PM   #4
Chancellen the True
Pile O'Bones

Chancellen the True has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I played in a 1st ed. ME campaign over 20 years ago. It was one of the best campaigns I've ever been apart of. Being that I loved the books so much helped my enjoyment. It was a self made adoptation by a very bright guy named Dave. I eventualy started putting together one of my own. I really wanted it to be like the books, lots of detail, so I took my time. I'm an artist, so I made large, very detailed maps. I even used old, wet coffee grinds to age the paper (man I love D+D). Everyone loved it. We played it for years. It's 2nd ed. and one day I'll convert it to 3rd ed. The point is (finally), that you can make your own; but, it will take a lot of imagination and a lot of work.

There was a ME system in the 80's. It was done by I. C. E. (Iron Crown Enterprises). I never played it, but the system is very different than AD+D. I own a couple of the books, because being a Tolkien fanatic, I had to check it out. I'll just say that the material is interesting......to say the least. It is all out of print and can be bought on line at stores that specialize in out of print RPG material. They were hard to find before the movies; so, you'll have to check back daily and buy quickly. I've never tried it, but I'm sure you could find it on E-bay. Either way, it could get expensive, so be carefull. Good luck!
Old 03-19-2003, 09:43 AM   #5
Baran
Haunting Spirit

Baran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is actualy a quite new RPG rulebook based on Middle-earth, you might want to check that out.
Baran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 03:43 AM   #6
Dain
Wight

Pipe

I've had more time to look at the new Decipher RPG, and I am further convinced it's a good game. I can't wait for a chance to play. It is quite similar to AD&D (I don't know 3rd ed.) but it improves a lot of areas. Should be a lot of fun, but if you want to stick with the D&D rules that you are used to, you should look at the book to see how a ME game should be. It's not perfect, but I haven't found any major flaws yet. Cheers!
Old 03-25-2003, 09:43 AM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Those who are interested in the Decipher game should take a look at the * LotR TCG * thread on the Barrow-Downs forum. There are several people here who play it.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 07:15 PM   #8
Dain
Wight

Sting

I was talking about their new RPG, not their card game, but thanks anyway!
Old 03-26-2003, 12:34 PM   #9
Lutfiska
Haunting Spirit

Lutfiska has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The card game actually is good sometimes or rather seldom...