The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-10-2002, 04:15 PM   #1
the_master_of_puppets
Haunting Spirit

the_master_of_puppets has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien nit picking & non-tolkien fans

i dont know why i feel like bringing this up, but heck i will. does people nit picking at the mistakes of the film annoy any1 else? i mean, sure they are there, but i...hmm...i dunno i makes it feel 2 me like they arent enjoying the film for what it is; they're trying to catch poor old PJ out! and please dont take offensve if im offending u here, i have noticed a few myself but i dont like to voice them because i genuinely loved the film.<P>i mean, we live in the 21st centuary: cars are around and some people are stupid so when they c a film crew they feel they must drive passed. and if viggo's hair got in seans eyes then its only natural to blink. the position of frodos tears?! well, all i can say is maybe they filmed the scene on 2 different days. the point is: it doesnt stop the film being really good for some people. so what im really asking is does any1 else feel the same?<P>*sighs* ahh glad thats out the way! i also wanted to ask how do u lot deal with friends who dont share ur love 4 tolkien? its just when my friends make fun of lotr i dont know how 2 react- so ne help there? thanks<P>*
the_master_of_puppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 04:40 PM   #2
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Sting

I totally agree! I mean, I can't say that I never "Nit-pick" I do all the time. But what REALLY bothers me is when someone tells me or someone else that the film was "too long"! That bugs the crap out of me! That tells you right there that anyone who says that either has not read the books or does not appreciate Tolkien's works or PJ amazing film! I don't see how anyone could get board in a film such as FOTR!
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 04:53 PM   #3
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nitpicking - and I do it sometimes - is mostly just entertaining, it only bothers me when people use minor continuity errors (like Frodo's tears) as serious reasons for mocking the movie. And as I said in another thread, some of the things people point at could actually be plausible (even if not intended) for example the orc lifting his head (maybe he had a few breaths left in him after being stabbed, eh?) or Boromir blinking (again, he's moribund but even someone at the verge of death will still blink if he gets hair in his eyes). Pips, the "too long" thing also drives me up the wall. Erm, it's an epic. If anything long and involved is boring by definition, then don't watch it - there are thousands of sitcoms out there which were just made for you.<P>And I have lots of friends who aren't into Tolkien at all, we just talk about other stuff shocking isn't it. (though it helps that most of them did see the movie and liked it). Favorite topics are traveling, writing, science and books. And we talk Tolkien sometimes - they recognize that Tolkien is something I'm into, the same way I recognize that they're into Dagorhir, or Star Trek, or whichever (wow, but I certainly ran with the cool crowd in college, didn't I ).<p>[ March 10, 2002: Message edited by: Kalimac ]
Old 03-10-2002, 05:02 PM   #4
Mayla Took
Wight

Thumbs up

Ha ha! Very well said Kalimac at all points!

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"

Old 03-10-2002, 05:21 PM   #5
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dűm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The "too long" thing annoys me too! I mean, how much shorter could you possibly make it? I wish it was longer!
Old 03-10-2002, 05:25 PM   #6
Mayla Took
Wight

Tolkien

Same here Elanor! I could have sat there all day!

Old 03-10-2002, 05:37 PM   #7
raefindel

Sting

For the most part I thought it was fun to see if I catch glitches in the film. They didn't bother me and I guess you could say it made me want to see it again. (I still haven't seen the car). I think It's possible that directors put some of these things in intentionally for that reason. <P>I would agree, I get annoyed when people pic on continuity errors like Frodo's tears or how far up someone is sitting in his chair.<P>If there are errors that do annoy me it would be thing like wrong costume or historically incorrect things. Example: Did anyone see Kate & Leopold? His costume was an entire century too old for the era he was supposed to have come from. THAT annoyed me.
Old 03-10-2002, 05:42 PM   #8
Mayla Took
Wight

Ha ha! I havnen't seen that movie but I wan't to. I am going to have to pay attention to that! Lol

Old 03-10-2002, 06:07 PM   #9
raefindel

Sting

It was still a good movie. Not an award winner, but I'd still buy it.
Old 03-10-2002, 06:34 PM   #10
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

At first I found it amusing to catch all of the little problems, but as they accumulated in the first thread (with my help) I came to the realization that someone may be dropping in here, reading the thread on the movie's problems, and then either A) not go to the movie, or B) go and sit there picking at the nits. The latter would defeat the purpose of going to the movie, unless one goes merely to tear it apart. Since there is no way that this movie will descend into becoming a camp classic, or be seen retroactively to be either unintentionally funny or plain bad, I really feel that it would be a shame if the nitpicking interfered with someone's enjoyment, and sense of wonder, of the film.<P>I still haven't seen the car, but I have seen dust or smoke moving from right to left in the background. I had to look really hard to see it.<P>As for awards, anyone care to place odds?<BR> <P>PS, There are soooo many bad movies released every year. I have gone to only one or two movies a year for the last 5 years or so, because most of them are just so bad I refuse to spend my money on them. And the good ones....are often less than epic in scope, so waiting for the video isn't a problem for me. PJ's movies are, notwithstanding the naysayers, going to be three of the biggest films of all time, and as a significant bonus, will bring <I>millions</I> of people to the books who may never have bothered. Reading LoTR was <I>de rigeur</I> when I was a teen. Then it wasn't. Now it is again. We have PJ to thank for that.<P>Pax,<P>Glenethor

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 06:36 PM   #11
Daegwenn
Haunting Spirit

Daegwenn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

You know, all four times that I have seen the movie, I was too wrapped in the story line to realize that there actually were mistakes. I only find mistakes with movies if I am bored with them...Like Beautiful Minds...that guy almost got smacked in the head with the microphone at one scene. I saw it because I was bored stiff and debating on whether I should leave or not. <P>Who cares if Frodo's tears are on what side? Or that Sean Bean blinked? What matters is Aragorn is Aragorn. Boromir is Boromir and so on and so forth. If I saw Orlando Bloom traipsing through with jeans on or Liv Tyler in the back ground with pig tails and a catholic girl's uniform on, yeah! I'd care. But there wasn't and I am not about to go looking for such mistakes.<P>~~Daegwenn<p>[ March 10, 2002: Message edited by: Daegwenn ]
A highwayman comes riding—
Riding—Riding—
A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard.
And he taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred.
He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
But the landlord’s black-eyed daughter,
Bess, the landlord’s daughter,
Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair"
Highwayman
Alfred Noyes
Daegwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 12:29 PM   #12
the_master_of_puppets
Haunting Spirit

the_master_of_puppets has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

thats exactly how i feel dae! i was gonna go c a beautiful mind but it aint out yet- is it not that good then?
the_master_of_puppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 12:50 PM   #13
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

i've seen the movie 7 times now - and enjoyed every viewing. it's a good movie, well put together, exciting, entertaining, emotion-pulling, lovely score, etc. and that's just what it is -- a MOVIE, and should be enjoyed on that level.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:26 PM   #14
Daegwenn
Haunting Spirit

Daegwenn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I pray that you have lots of patience, the_master_of_puppets...I know I really didn't. It wasn't bad, I like the story line...but it was rather slow.<P>~~Daegwenn
A highwayman comes riding—
Riding—Riding—
A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard.
And he taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred.
He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
But the landlord’s black-eyed daughter,
Bess, the landlord’s daughter,
Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair"
Highwayman
Alfred Noyes
Daegwenn is offline   Reply With Quote