The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2003, 06:00 AM   #81
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

Gandalf did not life when Glaurung lived in Middle-Earth. Being the father of all dragons, he should be the best. It's like saying Shelob is better than Ungoliant. Not likely true either. But of course, some dragons have cooler abileties than others in someones abilety. In battle, Glaurung would kick butt if you ask me.

Abedithon le,

Anuion

*edit ooooooh, pwetty new pages

[ June 30, 2003: Message edited by: Helkahothion ]
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 10:15 AM   #82
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wonder who would win if Glaurung and Ancalagon the Black fought. Ancalagon, after all, was the mightiest of the WINGED dragons, who were probably physically more powerful than the land Worms. Still, Glaurung was extremely crafty... He probably could have put a spell on Ancalagon.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:33 AM   #83
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

True, but Ancalagon could have flown up and kept harrying Glaurung from the air. Glaurung can only put spells on people/things if they look him in the eye, like what Turin and Nienor did.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 09:18 PM   #84
Pablo

Tolkien

my vote is for glaurung,because he was the most evil,and the most cunning
Old 07-21-2003, 04:18 AM   #85
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Ah, another old opinion topic has resurfaced! I'm moving it to the Novices and Newcomers forum, where we now place the "favorite" threads. Please continue to read and post there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 06:40 AM   #86
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

Seemingly a convenient moment for an update on the scores:

Smaug: 11 1/2
Glaurung: 19
Chrysophylax: 8 1/2
Scatha: 2
Ancalagon: 13 1/2

Can any of the others catch Glaurung, or is it now just a one-Dragon race? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2003, 08:19 PM   #87
Silver Dragon
Animated Skeleton

Silver Dragon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silver Dragon Send a message via MSN to Silver Dragon
Sting

I think Ancalagon was the most passable of the Tolkien Dragons I've read about...

Smaug-was just stupid (idiot dragon...showed a person he couldn't see he only weakness..was too lazy to clog up the hole in the wall...I could go on...)... [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Glaurung-did he really have nothing better to do? He went rampaging about...killed a couple armies...and his own army of orcs...felled bridges...collected a cashe of jewels/gold/precious things...would have been better if he had had wings...and died in a better way than having a sword thrust in his bloated belly...terrible way to go... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Chrysophylax-never really finished Farmer Giles...only skimmed the first part [sorry Lhachwen...]...so I can't really say much about him... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Scatha-don't remember anything about him (if I ever read anything about him...) [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

So I guess my vote goes to Ancalagon the Black...winged dragon who was slain by a Silmaril-bearer...and a lot of big birds... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ August 04, 2003: Message edited by: Silver Dragon ]
Old 08-03-2003, 10:50 PM   #88
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

While I agree that Ancalagon was probably the mightiest of all the dragons, I think you underrate Glaurung. He was extremely cunning, and (probably) much craftier than Ancalagon. While I'm sure he wouldn't beat the Black in a purely physical duel, his overall power rivaled that of Ancalagon because of his hypnotic powers. Give him his due credit. He was, after all, able to drive the strongest Man ever to madness and suicide.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:33 PM   #89
Silver Dragon
Animated Skeleton

Silver Dragon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silver Dragon Send a message via MSN to Silver Dragon
Sting

Agreed on the madness/suicide part...but was the hypnotic power limited specifically to Glaurung?
Old 08-05-2003, 11:02 AM   #90
Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock
Animated Skeleton

Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I would have to say Smaug and Ancalagon because they had the best personality of a dragon.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:35 PM   #91
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Well, my favorites are Glaurung and Chrysophylax.

Glaurung is just so chillingly evil. He caused so much destruction and so much despair. He really did his job as a dragon. And I think it's fascinating how he winds himself through the Narn i Hin Hurin.

Chrysophylax is funny. He could be considered as bad (he's a dragon; Tolkien dragons are bad), but he's a very interesting character.

I love dragons, so I like the others too, but these two definately hold precendence in my mind.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:15 PM   #92
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Beyond all doubt, I think Smaug deserves the Best Dragon Award. I vote for him. Glaurung showed a lot of personality, but he couldn't fly like a "proper dragon" should. Ancalagon could fly and breathe fire and was extremely powerful but had no personality. Smaug had great lines in The Hobbit and he was really good in combat as well.

Here is the current tally:
Smaug: 13
Glaurung: 19 1/2
Chrysophylax: 9
Ancalagon: 14
(note: Dragon Elf Odin Ragnorock voted half for Smaug and half for Ancalagon, and Luthien_Tinuviel voted half for Glaurung and half for Chrysophylax)

Glaurung is still in the lead, but Ancalagon is slowly catching up with Smaug a close third. Chrysophylax is fourth and Scatha is left in the dust.

[ August 05, 2003: Message edited by: Meneltarmacil ]
Old 08-08-2003, 03:03 PM   #93
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Chrysophylax-never really finished Farmer Giles...only skimmed the first part [sorry Lhachwen...]...so I can't really say much about him...
Tsk tsk, you should finish it! It's good, I promise. You can burn all my hair off if you don't like it (whoa, don't ask me where I came up with that).

Still rootin' for my dear Chrysophylax,
Galad [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ August 08, 2003: Message edited by: Galadrie1 ]
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 08:43 PM   #94
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Up! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Smaug: 13
Glaurung: 19 1/2
Chrysophylax: 9
Ancalagon: 14

Cast your vote! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Remember, everybody gets to vote just once.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote