The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2005, 05:12 PM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree Aragorn's reluctancy, was it totally wrong?

Throughout the movie we see that Aragorn is unsure about returning to the throne. I actually thought anytime Minas Tirith was brought up Aragorn was just going to shout "NO!" But, do we see a sense of reluctancy in the books? I mean Aragorn had a chance to claim the throne when he served under Ecthelion (obviously there was something about him if Denethor started viewing the Palantir after his father's death fearing this "Thorongil." He doesn't claim it after Imrahil encoorage him to. And he only claims it after the war. Is this reluctancy, or just smart political tactics? We also see that Aragorn (at Amon Hen) actually didn't intend on going to Minas Tirith, unless Frodo decided to. Did he do this out of reluctancy, having second thoughts? Or to stick with Frodo until the end?

To tie this in with the movies, is Aragorn's unwillingness to go to Gondor totally bad? After all, it does add some suspense, will Aragorn go? Will he get there in time? Not to mention I think it puts more meaning to the oath Aragorn makes to Boromir...
Quote:
"Leave it! It is over the world of men will fall. All will come to darkness. My City to ruin."
"I do no know what strength is in my blood, but I swear to you, I will not let the White City fall, nor our people fail."
There we have one of them important oaths/oath-fulfilling/oath-breaking we commonly see in Tolkien, and I think a wonderful job with the script/directing. Aragorn's made an oath, will he go back on it? Will he not? Or does it just create more problems within the movie, because at some points Aragorn is dead set on Minas Tirith, then other times he just flat out doesn't want to go?
Old 04-15-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It seems to me that it was more a matter of priorities that kept him away from the city. In the movies, he did not believe that the Ring could go to Gondor and come out again, unless to the hands of Sauron. So he felt compelled to keep the One far from Minas Tirith. After he left Frodo, and the Ring, saving Merry and Pippin seemed to be a more urgent task. Hence, his reason for again steering away from the city.

Also, I'm not sure he thought the timing was right to claim the throne. If he did make a claim, there would undoubtedly be fighting between him and Denethor, since the Steward was disinclined to give up his rule. There would also be a question if anyone would support him at all. Either way, it would leave the city weaker right before an impending war.

One other point. He may have been thinking that he would not survive the War of the Ring. So any claim to the thone, whether successful or unsuccessful, would be very short lived.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:05 AM   #3
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I agree with Gurthang on many things. I thought it was weird that Aragorn hesitated so much claming the throne. Surely he knew that it was his duty to become a king and on the basis of the books I had had this impression that it was something he had really been waiting for.

On the other hand it was wise to wait until Sauron was defeated. If a stranger appearing out of nowhere had strolled into Minas Tirith and appointed himself a king, he wouldn't probably had received as sincere approval from the residents of the city as he did after the battles. Had he taken the rule over Gondor earlier and the war against Mordor had come, it would have been easy to blame the new ruler.

Already in FotR it's clear that Aragorn is very devoted to the Fellowship and its common mission to help destroying the ring. If they can't get rid of the ring, there won't be a throne for Aragorn to claim. After Aragorn lets Frodo go alone (with Sam) it's just a tactical question, when to head for Minas Tirith. Insecureness about the timing, I think, is understandable. Reluctance, however, doesn't seem to fit that determined man with a fixed goal to become a king.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:30 AM   #4
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring

I think the reluctancy that we see in the movie (which is definately not in the books) is for a "better" movie story. It allower Peter to incorporate Arwen more into the plot and give more depth to the Aragorn character that common movie goers want. ( I myself could have done without so much Arwen in the movie but that's a whole other thread to start). His reluctancy was a side plot that gave the story more than just the quest to destroy the ring. Again, I think Peter did this to make it into a movie story and not a book story. As far as translating the book to the movie I think he did great and that's why Aragorn seems reluctant in the movie but not so in the books.
mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Not sure that the reluctance of Aragorn worked well for me, but then again I had read the books many times before seeing the movie, and so knew that eventually Aragorn would take the throne - no matter what else PJ changed .

To me the turning point for Aragorn is when he speaks with the little boy in Helm's Deep regarding the boy's sword. At this point I think that he realizes that it is up to him to not only physically enter the battle but also to take more of a leadership role, as it is no longer just about himself, Legolas and Gimli. Prior to the battle at Helm's Deep, Aragorn is consumed with trying to be the anti-Isildur, making up for his ancestor's folly.

From the movie we are to believe that Theoden would have failed against the Uruk Hai of Saruman, and if not for the assertion of Aragorn to 'ride out at dawn,' then they would have been doomed. After this, Aragorn is on a roll, leading the Army of the Dead then the Army of Free Folk.

Politically he would have gained the support of Eomer from saving Rohan, the support (even submission) of the Gondorians after saving Minas Tirith using the AotD, and the allegiance of Faramir, the Elves (due to kinship and they knowing his ancestory; plus they were leaving anyway), and the Hobbits. Who would be left to contest his ascension to the throne?
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:55 PM   #6
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Well, he knew that he was the heir, but perhaps he wanted to prove to himself that he was worthy of such a position before just claming it. In the books he camps outside the city and won't even enter it until he is king, no? I think he needed to be portrayed as being more humble about the position rather than power thirsy for it. It may have made him a less likeable character had he rallied people behind him, ridden off to Gondor, and thrown Denethor off the thrown just because his destiny said it was so.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:00 PM   #7
Turin Turumbar

White Tree

I think I like the personality of the Aragorn in the movies better. To me, the reluctant ruler and hero are cooler than the one who thinks that they're ready and are too sure of themself. It makes for a more intricate character development than just, "okay, I'm the heir and I'm ready." So to me at least, the Aragorn in the movies is cooler and a tad more likeable.

-don't get me wrong, I like the Aragorn of the book too.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #8
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

It seems to me that there is a book-based justification for film Aragorn's reluctance. During the period following Gandalf's fall in Moria, when he has the leadership of the Fellowship thrust on himself, he frequently and increasingly questions his own abilities. This reaches a low point at Parth Galen, in particular with Boromir's death, when he seems in a state of utter despair and laments that all his decisions seem to have gone awry. Yet, with a firm objective (the liberation of Merry and Pippin) which requires him to use those of his abilities which he trusts the most, his tracking skills, he gains steadily in confidence, ultimately to the point where he proves himself a worthy King.

In the book, he has to prove himself both to himself and others. The films simply emphasised and stretched out this aspect of his development as a character. And I think that it works well in the context of the films.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:53 AM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White Tree

That is a good point Sauce, but right before Boromir dies we have an oath...
Quote:
"No!" said Aragorn, taking his hand and kissing his brow. "You have conquered. Few have gained such a victory. Be at peace! Minas Tirith shall not fall."
I think that is when we first see (since Bree) of Aragorn accepting his path. Jackson does this same thing in the movies, he just stresses it more, and uses just a tad different wording...(see first post).
Old 05-14-2005, 08:08 AM   #10
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
"No!" said Aragorn, taking his hand and kissing his brow. "You have conquered. Few have gained such a victory. Be at peace! Minas Tirith shall not fall."
Might Aragorn not have just said this to placate Boromir though? So that he could die peacefully, not having to worry about having failed his people. Also, Aragorns words can be subject to interpretation. He does not specifically say "I will keep Minas Tirith from falling", simply that it will not fall. The immediate understanding of this would be that Aragorn intended to take over Boromir's role (in a way) but it is still ambiguous.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:24 AM   #11
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

It is ambiguous, the meaning of whether Aragorn was saying "He will not let Minas Tirith to fall," or just saying "Minas Tirith will not fall" in general. It still remains an oath however, he is pledging to Boromir that his city will not fall. I don't think Aragorn is the type of person to to basically lie to Boromir just so he can sleep peacefully. He did declare Boromir "forgiven," and I just don't see Aragorn trying to let Boromir die peacefully. I see it as an oath he gave on a man's death bed, which holds extreme importance through the rest of books, and movies. He's now got a pledge to a dying man over his head.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:09 PM   #12
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
I don't think Aragorn is the type of person to to basically lie to Boromir
No nor do I. My point was that although the oath was made and Aragorn would have felt that he had to adhere to it, he may not have felt it his sworn duty to be the one to protect Minas Tirith. I mean, is this oath referred back to at any point in either book or film so that we might see that it does have a bearing on Aragorn's decisions?
Old 06-10-2005, 06:05 PM   #13
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
White Tree

I think there was some manner of reluctance in the books, but PJ enhanced it a little and made it more prominent in the movies. Perhaps too much. Aragorn essentially spits the words “I will not bring the RING to within a hundred LEAGUES of your city!” in FotR EE. Not only does he betray some disgust for the city and Boromir’s love for it, but he does not even claim it as his own. (And I think this can be attributed to more than his origins in the North)

Yet he does make the promise that he will not let “our people” fail, a concept which obviously comforts Boromir, since he repeats it. “Our people.” Perhaps because this sudden display of devotion to Gondor refutes his earlier display of seeming disgust.

Also in the movies, Aragorn tells Elrond that he does not want the path of the king – that he has never wanted it. He does it more out of duty than anything else. (And perhaps to win the love of Arwen) Also, supposedly, because he has seen the destruction wrought by man, his kin, and the path of failure from his ancestors, and is loathe to make the same mistakes.

Altogether, however, I think there was too much emphasis on the “I have never wanted it” feeling from Aragorn. In the books, we get the feeling that it is the fulfilling of all he has longed for, the completion of his destiny. (Especially because it makes him worthy to marry Arwen) He even says something after Frodo leaves at the end of FotR (book) about “I wish to keep my pledge to Boromir and go to Gondor, and my heart desires it.”

Quote:
( I myself could have done without so much Arwen in the movie but that's a whole other thread to start).
Take it from me, Mormegil, you won’t be the first to “start” a thread like that!! ;-)

Quote:
I had read the books many times before seeing the movie, and so knew that eventually Aragorn would take the throne - no matter what else PJ changed
I think the title was also a heavy indicator, wouldn’t you?

Quote:
I think I like the personality of the Aragorn in the movies better. To me, the reluctant ruler and hero are cooler than the one who thinks that they're ready and are too sure of themself. It makes for a more intricate character development than just, "okay, I'm the heir and I'm ready." So to me at least, the Aragorn in the movies is cooler and a tad more likeable.
I liked the quiet yet confident character first. And I’m not sure what it was you said that triggered this in my mind, but didn’t Gandalf offer some sort of counsel to Aragorn about not reaching his hand out too quickly? I think it was when he surrendered the Palantir, at the Rohan encampment. Aragorn said something to the effect of “all these long and weary years, I have not yet stumbled.” As in, he has been treading one single path towards kingship, careful and mindful of each and every step, so as not to stumble.

Quote:
Might Aragorn not have just said this to placate Boromir though? So that he could die peacefully, not having to worry about having failed his people. Also, Aragorns words can be subject to interpretation. He does not specifically say "I will keep Minas Tirith from falling", simply that it will not fall. The immediate understanding of this would be that Aragorn intended to take over Boromir's role (in a way) but it is still ambiguous.
It seems dismaying to think so, but as I mentioned above, Aragorn then questions himself, about whether or not he will immediately keep his pledge to Boromir. (Just looked at the beginning of TTT…can’t find that quote, but I know it’s in there. A little help?)
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:28 PM   #14
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
I believe Aragorn showing reluctance to becoming king was a good thing to add to the movie. Even though it did not appear in the book I believe Tolkien possibly felt it was not needed. While reading a book our minds eye develops the character based on what is written. If a character shows any sign of weakness we immediately apply weakness to our vision of that character which can taint the true form of the authors vision of the character. In short, if the author writes a character strong it will stay strong in our minds. But in a movie, however, weakness is allowed to be shown for the fact that it humanizes the character which makes it easier to relate to the character also we see that the character is strong and we observe how he acts while he is reluctant which verifies if the character is weak or strong when making his life choices. When making a movie it is vital that the audience can relate to the characters. The audience should feel like they are on the same level, that they have some sort of unspoken understanding with the character. So I think it was a better thing. it may not have done so well in the book, but it enhanced the movie.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:01 PM   #15
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I liked the way Aragorn was portrayed in the movies. They could also have gone for a macho portrayal of Aragorn and that would have been much worse since that would have completely gone away from the book.
Even when I read the book for the first time I sensed a great amount of reluctance in Aragorn.
As for
Quote:
“I will not bring the RING to within a hundred LEAGUES of your city!”
I think Aragorn says this because he fears what will happen if the ring gets to Gondor. He probably also recognized the fact that Boromir was drawn by the ring and knew that the same could happen to the citizens of Minas Tirith. Most imporantly the Steward.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:56 PM   #16
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
“I will not bring the RING to within a hundred LEAGUES of your city!”
Not wishing to be pedantic but at the time he said that weren't they already within a hundred leagues (ie, three hundred miles) of Minas Tirith?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 02:41 PM   #17
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Did you count it out on the map?
Old 08-21-2005, 09:52 AM   #18
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
Something I noticed last night when watching the Fellowship of the Ring on TNT: When the Fellowship was being formed when Aragorn joined up Gandalf winked at Elrond.
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:59 PM   #19
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Aragorn is obviously far weaker in the movies than in the books. In the books he has quiet confidence (to be distinguished from arrogance). His desire at every point is to go to Gondor (reference his passionate song in Book III Chapter II), but he must put other things above that desire. Ultimately, of course, his road leads him to Minas Tirith.

In the movies, on the other hand, Aragorn is unsure of himself. "You are Isildur's heir, not Isildur himself." This quote is significant. In the book it is spoken by Aragorn himself at the Council of Elrond when he is questioned by Boromir. In the movie Arwen says it as Aragorn looks at the shards of Narsil. The book Aragorn is in the end untarnished by the deeds of his ancestor, while the movie Aragorn feels that he is doomed to repeat them.

As a sidenote, Aragorn is only one of the many characters who are weakened in the movies. Frodo, Gandalf, Theoden, Denethor, Faramir, etc. are all weaker in the films than in the books.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote