The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-01-2002, 10:35 AM   #1
anduril444
Pile O'Bones

anduril444 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting without a barrow blade???

Ok ill make this short and sweet.How is merry going to break the enchantment of the witchking,without a barow blade?
anduril444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 10:41 AM   #2
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

In the movie, Aragorn gives swords to the hobbits. The barrows were the tombs of Aragorn's people, and some of the swords in them were bound with spells against the wraiths. It is entirely feasible that the swords that Aragorn gave at Weathertop were quite similar to those found in the barrows considering that he likely took them from his own family stash of weapons. Thus. Merry's sword in the movie should have the same potency as the one he carried in the book.<p>[ September 01, 2002: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]
Old 09-01-2002, 12:25 PM   #3
Angmar_the_Horrible
Pile O'Bones

Angmar_the_Horrible has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

But I think this should be explained somehow<BR>in the movie because non-readers don't know<BR>anything about the barrow-downs or the speciality of Merry's sword. <BR>They will just think: what is so dangerous<BR>about this Witch-King guy, if he can be in-<BR>jured by a hobbit???
Angmar_the_Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 12:34 PM   #4
anduril444
Pile O'Bones

Sting

That's just what i mean angmar non readers are gonna be lost in the dark.And as far as the swords aragorn gave the hobits there is no way they have spells on them to replace the barrow blades of the barrow downs.If thats the case the aragorns ranger sword should have spells on it to.And then whats the point of reforging narsil,if they ever do in the movie.
Old 09-01-2002, 12:59 PM   #5
Ravenna
Haunting Spirit

Ravenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Unless a big issue is made of the fact that the Nazgul king cannot be killed by a man, then the significance of both Merry's sword, and the fact that it was a woman and a Hobbit who actually killed him is greatly reduced for the watcher who has not read the books, in which case, to the layman watching the film, it would only seem that they did an extremely brave thing, rather than fulfilling an ancient prophecy. And therefore the significance of the origi8n of Merry's sword will not really matter all that much.<P>I know this is an important fact in the books, and to us avid fans, but considering what PJ has already left out I think it entirely possible that the real importance of the event may well be left out, and it will, (if he actually puts it in!), be left as a passing scene, heroic but not of vital importance to the progression of the film.<P>Personally, I think it will add a great deal to the final film if this very important event is properly done, but somehow I think it will very likely be skimmed or missed altogether.<p>[ September 01, 2002: Message edited by: Ravenna ]
Ravenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 01:00 PM   #6
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The Sword of Elendil was forged anew by Elvish smiths, and on its blade was traced a device of seven stars set between the crescent Moon and the rayed Sun, and about them was written many runes; for Aragorn son of Arathorn was going to war upon the marches of Mordor. Very bright was that sword when it was made whole again; the light of the sun shone redly in it, and the light of the moon shone cold, and its edge was hard and keen. And Aragorn gave it a new name and called it Andúril, Flame of the West. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Why couldn't Aragorn's sword or the hobbit swords be as potent as those from the barrow? The smiths at Rivendell had several millenia of experience, and the swords Aragorn possessed could have been forged by the same smith that made the barrow-blades as far as anyone knows.<P>As for non-readers being in the dark, perhaps PJ will enlighten them after the Witch-Kings death with a short explanation given by Gandalf.<P>"<I>Only a blade such as Merry possessed, forged long ago by the smiths of Westernesse and kept by the line of Isildur for so many centuries, could have severed the sinews that held the Witch-King to his undead form. Thanks goodness Aragorn gave such weapons to the hobbits.</I>"
Old 09-01-2002, 01:27 PM   #7
anduril444
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I was under the inpression that the barrow blades and all other blades of arnor were forged by the dunadan themselves,no help from noldor elves of rivendell.And when arnor fell that craft fell with it.Bombadil even says that the swords were forged long years ago by the men of westernesse.
Old 09-01-2002, 01:35 PM   #8
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Even if the swords WERE as potent as those from the barrow, the fact remains that PJ will not explain this, and the significance of the scene will be lessened greatly. *sob* That is of course if they put it in, but I think if they missed out the Eowyn/Merry/Witch King scene, PJ would be stampeded by a crowd of Tolkien fans.
Old 09-01-2002, 04:15 PM   #9
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Sting

True, anduril, but the swords Aragorn provided could well have been made by those very same Dunedain.