The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-01-2002, 11:44 AM   #1
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Your opinion on Aragorn

This might be only me but did anyone else find aragorn kind of a pain???I mean Yeah he was a king but not yet and Legolas was a Prince as well so what happened ther??I'm just saying that I thought Aragorn was kind off bossy and annoying sometimes. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2002, 12:28 PM   #2
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't. Aragorn was heir to the throne of the last remaining resistance to Mordor that had strength left. He was also the closest to Gandalf, the Fellowship's original leader. He was the most traveled of the group by far and had the most leader-like qualities.

Legolas may have been a prince, but his father was still alive and well. Thranduil's kingdom of Mirkwood wasn't exactly a military powerhouse, though they were skilled.

Perhaps you could elaborate. Could you list some examples of what you're talking about? What does Aragorn do specifically that irritates you?
Old 10-01-2002, 12:37 PM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Look at how close Aragorn became to the members of The Fellowship. This shows his real human qualities best of all in my opinion. Possibly exclude Boromir from that but he died and the 2 didn't spend as much time together. At Boromir's death I certainly felt that Aragorn was very sad at the lack of time they spent together.

Plus, he was the hardiest of mortal men on Middle-Earth, and arguably one of the most skilled. All in all, reasons why I think Aragorn is immensely brilliant.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:45 PM   #4
Telwilyeil Greenleaf
Pile O'Bones

Telwilyeil Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Telwilyeil Greenleaf
Sting

I think Aragorn's character was meant ( in your words )to be " a pain". Thats just the way JRRT wanted him to turn out. Plus I agree that it is all in someones opinion.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:59 PM   #5
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe that Aragorn played the role as the natural "leader" of the Fellowship due to the on-coming Age of Men. Legolas, as a current prince, may have "out-ranked" him, but the days of the elves were dwindling. If the quest succeeded, elves would fade, and consequently, men would rise up to take their place as the stewards of Middle-Earth. It would not have been right for an elf to lead the Fellowship. It had become Man's responsibility to see that Middle-Earth did not fall to Sauron. Aragorn may have seemed bossy, but in my opinion, he was feeling his way out as a leader, and he was thoughtful & just. It would not have been an easy task, deciding between fulfilling the quest or making for Gondor.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:23 PM   #6
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

When you view him with a "character analysis" you realize that the journey was hard for him in many ways.
He dedicated himself to protect Frodo, and once the Fellowship was broken he lost that aspect.
He had the weight of his true love on his shoulders. He must have been in a lot of pain knowing that it may be possible that he would never see Arwen again.
He put all of the weight of protecting the human race on his shoulders.

There are many, many others factors that add to who he is and why he does things.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 04:16 PM   #7
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

I almost fell off my chair when I read this. Aragorn? A pain?

Sure, he may have come off as bossy, but he's a KING. If you had the fate of the world of men resting on your shoulders, a beautiful elf-maiden waiting for you to "get a real job", and a frolicking elf-prince to deal with, bossy might be the best way to be.

I personally think he comes off more as "commanding".
Old 10-01-2002, 04:22 PM   #8
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

Quite honestly, being a prince or a king means BS in a war. Sure, you might have been born a bit better off than your average grunt, but that won't save you from that arrow or your army from an ambush.

Aragorn was a leader. He lead the Fellowship after Gandalf's death. He adjusted his leadership style for a small group (him, Gimili, and Legolas) and for a large group (armies of Gondor-end of ROTK). He knew when to listen to his councilers (Great Debate) and when to act. Most of all, he knew his limits, and when to listen to advice. He knew that Gandalf was a far better leader than he was, and thus listened to him.

Sure, he may seem a little bit bossy to those used to the democratic political system, but so would most officers in the military. Those officers are the ones can bring their command home after a war.

[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: Ransom ]

Old 10-01-2002, 04:26 PM   #9
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

I disagree - being a king and having others know it would put you in an immediate leadership position. It's sort of like in the scene where Aragorn's title is sweeping the city. All of the citizens of Minas Tirith start feeling more hopeful because "The King has come again." It had nothing to do with his military capabilities - it was just the name.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:53 PM   #10
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

You are correct in saying that being the king does come with a certain aspect of leadership. By being royalty, one inherits the demand for leadership, not the skill of leadership itself. Aragorn was first a leader of men, and then a king, as evidenced by his refusal to openly declare his position until it was advantagous to do so. Thus, his first concern was probably not Gondor as a whole, but the men and troops he commanded and the battles that he fought.

Old 10-01-2002, 05:47 PM   #11
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm, this is a good discusion. I never personally had a problem with Aragorn. Part of the reason why Legolas didn't take charge was simply because he did not want to. He did not want that responsiblility. Perhaps Aragorn did not want to either but somebody had to.

Another thing is that Aragorn was The best of his race while Legolas was the 2nd best of his race. Even though it could be debated that Elves are more powerful then men, Legolas wasn't the top of his race.

Aragorn, besides knowing the lands better, also knew more about the ring and its past, also about the politics of other peoples. I think that he was far better at guessing what the other person was thinking or planning then either Legolas or Gimli or Boromir.

Aragorn had a lot on his plate, as has been said before. Arwen, Gondor, Boromir, Men, Elrond, Gandalf, all the hobbits... If he is a little testy every once and awhile, GIVE HIM A BREAK! If I were him, I would have cracked a long time before LOTR started.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:18 AM   #12
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Quote:
I never personally had a problem with Aragorn.
Me neither! He's been a pal for as long as I've known him, since kindergarten that is! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I believe lots of people didn't quite like him before they learnt that he was king and all -take Butterbur, for instance - but they were judging only by appearances. He himself once said that he desired spontaneous trust, and longed for a friend (don't know the exact quote).

I for one - for reasons I cannot explain, always considered Aragorn to be less of a hero than Frodo, or Gandalf,(or the elves for that matter - for whom the completion of their quest led to sorrow, though of a different kind) mostly because in my mind his reasons for his deeds are more selfish: it all comes down to one thing: being a king and marrying Arwen. I know my view is not exactly correct and the others had as much to lose if the quest failed, but it's just my own little idiosincracy. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2002, 08:57 AM   #13
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dűm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Aragorn is as he is; sometimes Strider, sometimes Elessar.

He appears to be above the opinions of a humble hobbit like myself.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 11:39 AM   #14
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Tolkien

Aragorn was not "bossy"! He knew that it was his responsibility as heir to the throne of Gondor to take charge and lead and that's what he did.
'Aragorn, Aragorn, he's our man, if he can't do it no one can!' or, more accurate, '...if he won't do it no one will!'
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 03:35 PM   #15
Ruthwen
Animated Skeleton

Ruthwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, I partly agree and partly disagree. I think that in The Two Towers when he gets huffy (for want of a better word) over his sword, he acts a bit bigheaded. But I think in general, he's just an excellent leader. He can give orders without alienating himself from those he commands.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:01 PM   #16
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I do not believe that Aragorn is or was bossy, nor do I think he is a pain. He is a great character of strength, skill, knowledge and understanding.

A little reserved he may be but I believe there was point to this. His individuality, to me, symbolises mans sturggle in our own world to do what is right. To do the responsible thing and try to please everyone. A not-so-easy task. He forms relationships with each member of the fellowship that are entirely individual and different, valuing each of them. He felt he was the one to take charge of the fellowship after Gandalf because not only was he well-travlled and knowledgable, but also because the friendships he made allowed him to do so.

While Leoglas was a prince, he was not as knowlegable as Aragorn and didn't have the same views on others as Aragorn did. Legolas, at first, would not trust dwarves, just as the dwarves would not trust the elves. Aragorn did, but was also weary, even of his own race with Boromir. Aragorn had a level head, a sense of right and wrong and most of the other leadership qualities. And for those reasons, I think he was justified in what he did, to help all ME and take his place as King.
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 04:21 PM   #17
Elven-Archer

Sting

I think he had to take up a leader role after Gandalf fell to the Balrog. Otherwise the fellowship would have fallen apart.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:42 PM   #18
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dűm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

To my mind Aragorn was just the perfect man to do what he was doing. He had the right (by birth) to lead men and elves, being a descendant of a glorious house. He got necessary training and knowledge in Rivendell and during his wonderings and military campaigns. And he’s got a definite aim, which can’t be diminished by having some personal motivation. He just knows what to do, how to do it and that there’s no-one around to do it better. Note how he always appears at the time he is most needed – at Bree, leading the fleet by Anduin, in Minas Tirith to heal Faramir and Eowyn.

Just imho I don't see anyone claiming Aragorn's responsibility. Gandalf is preoccupied with too many matters at once, and for part of the time outof action. As for Gimli and Legolas, I somehow see them as just observes for their races, watching that everything is done right. They allow themselves to be led, perhaps not having a motivation as strong as Aragorn’s. (Sorry if I Have misinterpreted things)

However strange it may seem, if I had to compare Aragorn and any other character, my choice would be Sam. They share that determination to do all that is in their power (and above it) and finding strength for it.
The teams Gandalf&Aragorn and Frodo&Sam have something in common. Gandalf has his restrictions; Frodo’s Burden is too heavy for him. But for Aragorn and Sam the Task could have never been completed. And Sam is quite a pain in the neck at times, hehe.
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 04:50 PM   #19
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe that the opinion stated in the original question of this thread was due to viewing only the movie - and I will not go into that in this thread. I will say as all the rest have done:
Perhaps you have no idea the pressures upon this gentle man! Did you not see that he forsook sleep and comfort for weeks on end, dragging himself to the limits of human exaustion? He was never anything but humble and civil with the Hobbits until he arrived at Minas Tirith, and even then he bandied with them on their own level. Aragorn is my favorite character of Tolkien's barring Beleg Strongbow. I have never heard of a male character written with such eloquence of spreech, such a light hand, and such a noble heart. I have nothing but admiration for the character. I don't see how anyone could speak of him as a pain. Rather, I think of Peregrin Toook as a pain! Darn hobbit, always in trouble, always doing the wrong thing!

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: Tirned Tinnu ]
Old 10-03-2002, 02:35 AM   #20
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

As others have said, Aragorn was anything but a pain. Who else would have led the fellowship?

Legolas - Just because he is a prince it doesn't make him a natural leader. Some princes are right idiots (look at Britain's history for instance)I'm not saying he is but he really isn't leadership material. He hasn't had the training.

Gimli - Dear God no! He would have refused to enter Lothlorien and would have circled it and been caught my Orcs. If he got past that he would have probably taken them to Erebor or something. (OK I'm jokin) but Gimli has got too many prejudices.

Boromir - We all know what would have happened there.

Hobbit of some description - They would be able to.

Aragorn was the perfect guy next to Gandalf. He had great knowledge and wasn't proud (like Boromir).
Being heir has nothing to do with it. He was just best for the job!
Old 10-03-2002, 02:36 AM   #21
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

SORRY - MISTAKE ABOVE

Hobbits - WOULDN'T be able to!!!!

Well duh!!!
Old 10-03-2002, 10:24 AM   #22
Bombadilo
Pile O'Bones

Bombadilo has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I agree with the rest that say Aragorn is not bossy, just a leader. What kind of leader would he be if he could not get the others to follow him? It was also his duty as the heir to the throne of Gondor, carying with him the hopes of all Middle Earth. The times of the elves was dwindling, and men had to lead on into the begining of the comming age. That is why Legolas could not have led the fellowship, it was not his time. What really struck me as true was the comment about Gandalf and Aragorn being similar to Frodo and Sam. Although I had never thought of it that way before, they are similar, because without Aragorn or Sam, the quest would have never been accomplished. When Gandalf and Frodo are in their darkest moments of dispare, it is Aragorn and Sam who shine through.
Bombadilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:27 PM   #23
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought Aragorn was the best a man could be under any circumstances. Tirned Tinnu nails it! He was kind, caring and humble but could still lead and be strong. I felt he was the strongest character due to his burdens only Sam comes close with his love for Frodo and responsibility to him. But I must defend the little Took, He tried very hard and redeemed himself plenty for any wrong he may have caused.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:12 AM   #24
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Interesting idea of Aragorn and Sam being similar, and the true ' heroes' of the story. (correct me if I got the wrong idea).
But, from my pov, the greatest dissimilarity between them is that Sam was completely selfless in helping his master, while for Aragorn, as I pointed above, the completion of the quest = kingship and marriage w. beautiful elf-princess.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:42 PM   #25
Eldanuumea
Pile O'Bones

Eldanuumea has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eldanuumea
Sting

I see Aragorn as a servant-leader. While he and the four hobbits are on their way to Rivendell, how many times do we read about Frodo waking up and seeing Aragorn awake, watching faithfully over them? The Ranger rarely slept throught the whole journey.

In "The Last Debate" (ROTK) Aragorn willingly offers himself as living "bait" for the trapping of Sauron.

After his exhausting battle at Pelennor, he does not seek rest but first rushed to the Houses of Healing where he ministers selflessly to Eowyn, Faramir, Merry, and many other wounded.

It is Elessar who kneels and encourages praise and credit for Frodo and Sam.

Whether in the book or in the film, Aragorn is a man of service, leadership, and great fidelity. He does have his moents of seeming arrogance - the sword hassle at Meduseld, his chastisement of Gimli over the Palantir - but I see these moments as the birth of his assuming the character of a king.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:52 PM   #26
Nar
Wight

Nar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well said, Eldanuumea, and welcome to the Downs, enjoy being dead! I would have to agree. I liked the 'bait' manuver very much, as it was bold, clever and selfless. Aragorn wasn't alone in making that sacrifice, but he could have refused to take Gandalf's counsel and order it.
Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 02:33 PM   #27
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Quote:
Aragorn is my favorite character of Tolkien's barring Beleg Strongbow.
Well, duh. We all like to read about these men. Because they don't exist in this wonderful state of perpetual chaos we refer to as real life. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Aragorn is a comfort, and an irritation to women, but for quite different reasons other than his supposed bossy demeanor. At least that's how it goes for me.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:51 PM   #28
Ravenna
Haunting Spirit

Ravenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn bossy? Yes, at times, but then so were Gandalf, Theoden, Denethor, even Frodo at times. It's part of the job description that comes with being a leader.
If you are in charge of something, especially something as hugely important as Aragorn was, then you have to give orders and that, at times can make you seem bossy.

Aragorn has always been one of my favourite characters, and I always felt that if he was a bit bossy at times, it was always with good reason. Even the business over his sword at Edoras, well, the sword was very important to him, and don't forget that Gimli was very reluctant to surrnder his axe as well, in fact only doing so after Aragorn had capitulated.
Honour, nobility, seflessness and humility are at the essence of Aragorn, if at times he gets a bit short with people, well with the pressure he was under, I'm not surprised that it happened occasionally.
As to his personal agenda, well everyone had a general reason for dong what they did, getting rid of Sauron, but just because we see Aragorn's personal reasons in detail, does not mean that the others involved did not have them too, just that they are not openly mentioned in the story.
Ravenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 11:09 PM   #29
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, Lush! You said, "Because they don't exist in this wonderful state of perpetual chaos we refer to as real life."
I beg to differ! You must look carefully in order to find the diamonds in the rough. I have met in my life three or four men who have the will, the desire to do good, and the demeanor of heroes such as Aragorn and Beleg.
I have known such tenderness, truth and strength, oh! I cannot describe how much of a joy it is to have known those men and stayed for a while in their company. You would do well not to stereotype all men as being incapable of living up to legends. There are such men, perhaps you simply have not met one yet. And don't expect anyone to be perfect! Aragorn may have had faults, such as being a little short with people in times of trouble, and Beleg fell in love with a friend and a brother who dragged him down and killed him, in the end.
All of us have our faults. Sometimes looking past the little ones makes clear the person beyond them.
Hold heart! One day you will find legends in your midst, even in this day and age.
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2002, 04:36 AM   #30
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Tirned is right, Lush. I found one. And he might not look the way you expect him to, either.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:07 AM   #31
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

What Helen and Tirned said.
Old 10-05-2002, 12:27 PM   #32
Anastasia
Haunting Spirit

Anastasia has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Anastasia
Sting

OK. I'm gonna be kicked by 29 people when I say this, but I agree with busybee in a way. I mean he was a real pain sometimes, but I think that its good that he wasnt all saintly as he was only human (well one-somethingth elf but that isnt the point), so he couldnt have been nice thru&thru. But he wasnt a complete jerk, so thats OK.

I know i've just basically said a version of other ppls posts, but this is my opinion.
Old 10-05-2002, 01:47 PM   #33
Thomas Baggins

Eye

Arogorn a pain no way I think maybe a little bossy but he's got perfact right to be Deosn't he being heir to the throne and all. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2002, 03:01 PM   #34
charly
Haunting Spirit

charly has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I don´t think he´s exactly a pain but he DOES has a bit arrogant properties. I mean he didn´t even ask the Fellowship if it was ok he led them- he just did it! Of course he was the only guy to do it, but he just took it granted, with no discussion. And then, there´s a scene in Rohan, that seriously fed me up: Aragorn Lego&Gimli are asked to put their weapons down. And Aragorn says something like:
Quote:
I do not see why I, the heir of Isildur, should follow the wish of the King of the mark.
I mean, he´s not even a king yet and he totally blows himself up!!! But on the other hand, what would M-E be without him?? I think Aragorn was ok, sometimes I thought "Man, that guy ROX" and sometimes I thought "Geez, and he´s gonna be King?! Poor Gondor".

Note- but I did think he looked hot in the movie... don´t look a me like that!*blushesandhidesunderdesk*

[ October 05, 2002: Message edited by: charly ]
Old 10-05-2002, 08:31 PM   #35
Nar
Wight

Sting

I second, third, whatever, Tirned, Mark 12_30 and Bethberry. I know more than a few men like that. Remember, Strider didn't look too good in Bree. Take heart, Lush, and cultivate your peripheral vision. Truly good men show it when you're not looking their way: it's how they treat the ones they're NOT trying to get into bed and DON'T need or want anything from that separates the men of worth from the others. And no, you don't have to compromise on attraction. Graduate level lust, as opposed to kiddie lust, goes this way: 'whatever you are, that's what I want.' The particulars of this man, THIS MAN RIGHT HERE are what melt your brain down-- it's an attraction that goes WAY beyond good cheekbones and melty eyes, though they don't hurt. There's your scenic man and then there's your soul-melting man-- finding one is all a matter of time, patience and excellent peripheral vision.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:24 PM   #36
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Nar--

Well said. Now break that up into iambic quadrameter or pentameter, patch up the rhyming, give it a tune, and sing it.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

--Helen
Old 10-06-2002, 09:15 AM   #37
Nar
Wight

Sting

Thanks, Helen/ Mark 12_30!
Would that be 'Peripheral Vision' by Nar and the Noldor? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ October 06, 2002: Message edited by: Nar ]
Old 10-06-2002, 09:26 AM   #38
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

How do you say, "turn the bass up, set the tempo down and drive this thing" in elvish?
Old 10-06-2002, 12:13 PM   #39
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am very glad that at least someone agrees with me that aragorn was some times bossy.eg:when they met the rohirrim they named him wingfoot and he didn't stand up for Legolas & Gimli ok legolas os an elf but what about Gimli?He reminded us he was human when he was a bit bigheaded which is a good thing thanks for all your replies! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

[ October 06, 2002: Message edited by: busybee ]
Old 10-06-2002, 12:19 PM   #40
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

I hear you, Lush. I guess the problem with men in this day and age as compared to Aragorn is this: Aragorn is an ideal. His faults are not faults, and his good points are inhumanly wonderful. Real human men do not have such inhuman perfection.

But sometimes that's better, don't you think?