The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-29-2003, 03:34 PM   #1
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Ring Three Ring for the Elven-kings under the sky.

I was reading the topic about the white-ring and I was wondering what kinds of powers the elven rings gave to their bearers.

Here's what I know so far:

Nenya:
-allowed Galadriel to support Lórien
-golden leaves
-hours were "rich, but short"
-mirror of Galadriel
-phial of Galadriel

Narya:
-white horses when the ford flooded

Vilya:
-flooding of the ford
-support Rivendell

That's all I can think of. Can you guys think of what other powers the rings gave?
Old 05-29-2003, 03:50 PM   #2
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Could it be Vilya somehow also held back the hands of time from touching Rivendell?

Now granted, its effects weren't as great or potent as Nenya's effects, but somehow Vilya must have helped Elrond keep the Last Homely House homely...

Now someone remind me of which of the three Elven Rings is the mightest of the Three: Narya, Nenya, or Vilya?
Old 05-29-2003, 03:57 PM   #3
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Sting

Vilya was the mightiest, but Nenya was the "priciple."
Old 05-29-2003, 06:14 PM   #4
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, Vilya was the mightiest.

Nenya was the principal ring.

U should see Legola´s answer to the question... he makes a great comparison of this situation with a similar one between Melkor and Manwe. Even though Melkor was the migthiest, Manwe was the principal vala.

So, in the end whos the more important? Manwe

The same analogy applies to the differences between Vilya and Nenya

BTW
Another power for Nenya was the fact that it enhanced Galadriel´s magicks. For example, she was reknown for having the great ability to perceive the internal thoughts of people... Nenya boosted that ability, and she was able to read what Sauron thought about the elves. Thats something Elrond did not have, and something Vilya could not boost...

And again, in the U. Tales, its stated that the Witch King of the Nazgul did not dare to approach Lothlorien because of Galadriel´s fences (Ive always thought of this as a girlde, like Melian´s, but keeping all proportions). I bet those fences were upgraded by Nenya, since its power was to mantain Galadriel´s home beautiufl, one of the things it had to do was to keep all kinds of spoilings and destroyers outside her house... Including the Necromancer, the forces of Dol Guldur, the Nazgul and all the things inside Moria (orcs, balrog, trolls, etc).
Old 05-30-2003, 07:43 AM   #5
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think the proper term for the outer "fences" of Lothlorien should be the Girdle of Galadriel, since she was highly influenced by Melian during her stay in Doriath, in the First Age.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 07:55 PM   #6
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Will it be right to assume that the powers of the One were similar to those of the Three, though in a perverted fashion?

Eg: The elven rings guarded their kingdoms = the One protected itself and its owner.

The Three allowed to comunicate = the One subdued

The Three helped to perceive to souls of people (well, Nenya and Narya did, I suppose) = the One betrayed the bearer to the Master and his servants

The Three preserved Rivendel and Lothlorien (and perhaps the Shire, as Gandalf frequented it) = the One prolonged the life of its mortal bearer (Gollum) and of those subdued to it (Nazgul) beyond any reasonable limit.
That's what I can think of for now. Does it make any sense?
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 08:14 PM   #7
Westerly Wizard
Haunting Spirit

Westerly Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Do not forget the main power and use of Narya, the Ring of Fire: "The Kindler." "This is the Ring of Fire, with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill" (Appendix B). Gandalf used the Ring not simply for horses in water, but to inspire people to the "valour of old."

Arathiriel - Vilya indeed helped to preserve Rivendell. Referring to both the use of Vilya in Rivendell and Nenya in Lothlorien, Tolkien writes "Thus it was that in two domains the bliss and beauty of the Elves remained still undiminished while that Age endured: in Imladris, and in Lothlorien. . ." ("Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age").

Furthermore, Tolkien writes: "The Chief power (of all the rings alike) was the prevention or slowing of decay (i.e. 'change' viewed as a regrettable thing). the preservation of what is desired or loved, or its semblance" (Letter 131) and "The 'Three Rings' were 'unsullied', because this object was in a limited way good, it included the healing of the real damages of malice, as well as the mere arrest of change" (letter 181).

Thus, the power and intent of the Three was to prevent the passing of time, to prevent the fading that occurred in Middle-earth but not in Aman, without having to leave Middle-earth, which was "really a veiled attack on the Gods" (Letter 131). And, finally, this halting of the decay of time is certainly applicable to Rivendell, as seen throug the description: "merely to be there was a cure for weariness, fear, and sadness" and Bilbo's words, "Time doesn't seem to pass here: it just is" ((FOTR "Many Meetings"). (Notice that similar descriptions are given to Lothlorien).
Old 06-01-2003, 09:37 PM   #8
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

I know a little about the rings and the powers they give. But I found this:

“Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their Halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to Rule them all,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.”

But then again everyone probably has that in their book. I probably sound dumb already so I am going to ask a dumb question. Ok so there are many rings, how many. And the ring in the Lord of the Rings, I would take it that that is “One Ring to rule them all”??
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 10:11 PM   #9
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The main power of all the Rings was to prevent decay or change (what might be termed as a slowing of the apparent passage of time). The Three are specifically said to have been intended for 'making, healing and preserving'. All the Rings could also enhance thae natural powers of a possessor, but there is nothing indicating that the Mirror of Galadriel, the Phial, 'golden leaves', white horses, flooding the the ford, reading minds, or communicating were something caused or allowed by the Three. The Three may well have enhanced the natural ability of their respective possessors to do some of these things, but that was still the ability of the possessor, not the Rings (ie Elrond could already control the river, though may have Vilya made it easier as it were).
Old 06-04-2003, 10:37 AM   #10
GandalftheWhite

Sting

Niluial,Yes.The Ring in possesion of Frodo, as you thought, is the One Ring mentioned in the Elven-lore.And there were 20 rings(I just counted it up from your poem) in all, including the One Ring.It wasn't a very dumb question though.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:18 PM   #11
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There were twenty 'Great Rings' and an unstated number of lesser Rings.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:53 AM   #12
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think that all the Elven Rings did was strengthen the powers of their bearers, just as the One Ring. As the book says, "The One Ring gives power according to the measure of its bearer." I'm sure that the Elven Rings did the same. Vilya probably kept Rivendell protected, since that was probably paramount in Elrond's mind. Nenya enhanced Galadriel's mind-speaking powers, and also her desire to preserve Lothlorien in the same way. Narya enhanced Gandalf's "Inner Fire", and kept his zeal for fighting Sauron strong. It also helped him inspire others to take up the fight.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 02:34 AM   #13
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Quote:
Niluial, Yes. The Ring in possession of Frodo, as you thought, is the One Ring mentioned in the Elven-lore.And there were 20 rings(I just counted it up from your poem) in all, including the One Ring. It wasn't a very dumb question though.
Twenty rings, that’s allot. So each one possesses a different power, or brings out the power in the ring holder? As we read in the Lord of the Rings, they don’t want the ring to fall into the wrong hands, but if one of those other twenty rings fell in the wrong hands, do you think it would end up in drastic results? As drastic as the Ring in the Lord of the Rings. The ring we read about in the Lord of the rings, does it have a special name?
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 05:02 AM   #14
Mahal
Haunting Spirit

Mahal has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mahal
Sting

No...I think they al posest the same powers some more powerful than others. Those other 16 were made by Celebrimbor but with the help of Sauron so they are dangerous for any mortal... Dwarves less.You can see it by the Nazgul. The name of the ring is mostly The One ring.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:23 PM   #15
mordor136
Wight

mordor136 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
The main power of all the Rings was to prevent decay or change
exactly my point! I think the elven rings were used in some way or another for preservation.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:51 AM   #16
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Quote:
As drastic as the Ring in the Lord of the Rings. The ring we read about in the Lord of the rings, does it have a special name?
The One Ring, Or as it was called by Gollum.. "My Precccioussss"
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 01:12 PM   #17
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

Quote:
Those other 16 were made by Celebrimbor but with the help of Sauron so they are dangerous for any mortal...
Whatever happened to those other 16? I am assuming that Sauron got them, but what kind of powers did they give their barers?

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 04:00 PM   #18
Malhwesta

Sting

As stated, the Seven and Nine Rings were originally made by the Elves and not evil until Sauron forged the One and later took these rings by war. Their initial purpose was to slow the passage of time and preserve beauty, but since Sauron had a part in their making they became accursed and had evil powers. He gave the rings to different races of Middle-earth to enslave and so control them. Sauron gave the Seven to the Dwarves, who proved harder to enslave;

"they ill endure the domination of others, and the thoughts of their hearts are hard to fathom, nor can they be turned to shadows. They used their rings only for the getting of wealth; but wrath and an overmastering greed of gold were kindled in their hearts..."
This implies their rings had other powers but were not used probably because this would draw attention to the user and all that he did.

Sauron gave the Nine to Mortal Men who proved easiest to ensnare. It was said that

"those who used the Nine Rings became mighty in their day, kings, sorcerers, and warriors of old. They obtained glory and great wealth...They had, as it seemed, unending life, yet life became unendurable to them. They could walk, if they would, unseen by all eyes in this world beneath the sun, and they could see things in worlds invisible to mortal men..."
According to Letter #131, the Seven and Nine conferred invisibility to the user as well as unending life. Also, the ability to make the wearer invisible seems to be a controllable power - not always "activated", but rather selectable when the wearer desires to be invisible. However, eventually the user would fade and become a wraith under the control of Sauron, the Dark Lord. The Three Elven Rings did not confer invisibility, because this is a power from Sauron, and Sauron did not have a part in the creation of the Three Elven Rings, nor did he ever touch them.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:04 PM   #19
Malhwesta

Sting

For a brief time, all the Rings of Powers were presumably worn and used in Eregion between the time Sauron left the Elves after the rings were made and when Sauron forged the One Ring. But as soon as Sauron put on the One Ring, the Elves took off all their rings for they finally saw through the deceptions of Sauron and realized that their creations would only be corrupted and used for evil:

"But the Elves were not so lightly to be caught. As soon as Sauron set the One Ring upon his finger they were aware of him; and they knew him, and perceived that he would be master of them, and of all that they wrought. Then in anger and fear they took off their rings."
Some counseled that their rings be destroyed but the Elves could not bring themselves to destroy the Rings - and so they were hid. The Seven and the Nine were separated. Of the Three, Celebrimbor gave one, Nenya, to Galadriel, and the other two, Vilya and Narya, to Gil-galad. In turn, Gil-galad kept Vilya and gave Narya to Cirdan of the Grey Havens to hold. Then, when he marched to war in the Last Alliance, he gave Vilya to Elrond. An alternate to this version, given in Unfinished Tales states that during the first Council of the Second Age, it was deemed wise that Elrond receive the ring Vilya and Gil-galad kept Narya until departing to war in the Last Alliance when he then gave it to Cirdan.

Angered that his plan was revealed and failed, Sauron made war on the Elves to claim the Rings without his help they could not have made. He laid Eregion to waste and sacked the Elvish city of Ost-in-edhil. He then captured and tortured Celebrimbor into revealing where the Rings were hidden:

"There Sauron took the Nine Rings and other lesser works of the Mirdain; but the Seven and the Three he could not find. Then Celebrimbor was put to torment, and Sauron learned from him where the Seven were bestowed. This Celebrimbor revealed, because neither the Seven nor the Nine did he value as he valued the Three: the Seven and the Nine were made with Sauron's aid, whereas the Three were made by Celebrimbor alone, with a different power and purpose."
Using Celebrimbor's body as a battle standard on a pole, Sauron returned with war and overran all of Eriador in search for the Three Elven Rings. But he never found them and only suspected where they were hid. With the help of the Numenoreans, Sauron was finally driven out of Eriador c. 1701 Second Age and there was peace for a long while.

Sauron's power was later challenged by the Numenoreans and he was taken back as prisoner where through the use of the One Ring he corrupted them and incited them to rebel against the Valar. Then Iluvatar was called on and the world was changed and Númenor drowned in the ocean. Sauron went down as well, but his spirit fled (with the Ring) back to Middle-earth. When he took shape again he saw how the Númenoreans had grown in strength where their new kingdoms sprang up. He resolved to make war and drive them out before they became too strong. Then the Last Alliance was formed between Elves and Men to battle Sauron. There, before the Black Tower, Barad-dûr, Sauron was thrown down and vanquished in the year 3441 Second Age.

But after a respite, Sauron's spirit appeared again in the Third Age and threatened the free people in Middle-earth. Around the year 1000 Third Age the Istari, or Wizards, came to Middle-earth to help in the struggle against Sauron. Last to come was Gandalf and Círdan was moved to turn Narya over to Gandalf as he saw that it would be put to better use:

"Take now this Ring, he said; for thy labours and thy cares will be heavy, but in all it will support thee and defend thee from weariness. For this is the Ring of Fire, and herewith, maybe, thous shalt rekindle hearts to the valuor of old in a world that grows chill."
So at the time of the story of Lord of the Rings, the Three Elven Rings were in the hands of the Wise; Gandalf, Elrond, and Galadriel, the Nine Sauron held, as well as three of the Seven(the other four were consumed by dragons), and the One was in the hands of Frodo the Hobbit.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:19 AM   #20
Osse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Osse has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Regrettably this is not a subject in which I am as learned as i would like, so please feel free to contradict me if you disagree.

I was under the impression that the Three gave power to those who bore them to govern Elvenkind, the rings enhanced foresight and hindsight,and had the power to create places of lasting strength. Cirdan built the grey havens using one of the Three, before he gave over possesion to Gandalf when he arrived with the other Istari on the shores of Middle-Earth. Perhaps the rings gave the bearer different powers according to their statures, as did the One. ie. gave gandalf the power to lead and to rally the free peoples gave galadriel increased foresight and honed on her already great mind percieving powers, and gave elrond the power to create a safe abode and defend it using the elements especially water as he is a direct descendant of Earendil, who was favoured by Ulmo.

If anyone would like to discuss their views on the matter you can email me at: harleq_RAAF@hotmail.com or continue to post as i will be watching [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2003, 05:29 AM   #21
Osse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: The Encircling Sea, deciding which ship to ruin next...could be yours.
Osse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

May I just bring up a point that slightly vears off the path of the rings but is still highly relavent to this thread...

Perhaps the key factor that kept Gandalf on track in his fight against Sauron, unlike any of the other Istari; Saruman was corrupted, Ragagast was hopeless and was only there because Yavanna (i believed) vouched for his, (manwe thought him slow of wit) and the other two (who's names i forget can someone remind me please) passed into the east and ultimately did nothing to hinder Sauron, was that he possessed one of the Three, it gave him strength to rally others and kept him on track in his plight. Cirdan could not have bestowed it upon anyone worthier. Perhaps the hand of Manwe guided his judgment?