The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-20-2002, 07:46 PM   #1
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril Must They Screech???

Is anyone else as sick of the Ringwraiths' screeching as I am?<P>Okay the screeching scared me the first time and maybe the second time I watched FOTR but by the time I got to see TTT I was flat out annoyed with that blasted screeching!<P>*AHEM*<P>Other than that I thought the winged creatures they were riding were cool! <p>[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 12-20-2002, 07:50 PM   #2
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Just remember that you have watched the Fellowship over and over again. <P>If you had just went right from the Fellowship to the Two Towers you wouldn't be tired of the screeching.<P>And after just seeing the animated Return of the King I'm very greatfull for PJ's version of these books.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:52 PM   #3
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

True.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:11 PM   #4
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

When I heard it in the Dead Marshes, I didn't even recognize it at first. It just sounded like an injured orc to me. The Nazgul screeches are definitely weaker this time around.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 06:28 PM   #5
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I just had to say: maybe Fran Walsh wasn't sick anymore. <P>EDIT- I forgot to say: I think the Nazgul screams are cool and creepy no matter how many times I hear them. <P>~Nurumaiel<p>[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 12-21-2002, 08:58 PM   #6
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I love the Nazgûl shrieks. If they were a little "weaker" this time around its because they were airborn instead of at ground level. They're bound to be quieter with the atmosphere swallowing the sound up.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:39 PM   #7
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked the Nazghul shrieks as usual. I didn't especially like the winged Nazghul owing to the fact that they did not look believable while flying. Whenever they showed a shot of the Nazghul in the air, the background just looked plain fake. That's my only complaint. And no I don't blame PJ or anyone for this, its not in their control.<p>[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: -Imrahil- ]
Old 12-21-2002, 10:44 PM   #8
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

The only problem I had with the Nazgul in TTT was that the one over the Dead Marshes flew too low, and swooped too much.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:26 AM   #9
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I thought it was pritty cool that for those who have not read the book for a minute it looked like the Black Riders were on their horses. Those...whatever they are were ausome. I think PJ or whoever designed them did a fantastic job.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:06 AM   #10
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Rosseiliantiel has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Do you know what I'm sick of? Fangirl shrieks. But that's not the point. <P>I love the Nazgul shrieks, but I would also love a pet kraken, so...yeah.<P>I love the way they did the flying Nazgul (i.e. not making them into proper dragons)
Old 12-22-2002, 12:10 PM   #11
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

That's what most of my family thought too, but I didn't notice a difference. Maybe because I'm trying very hard to be positive about TTT. I didn't really like their "fell beasts" though. I thought they should have bigger heads. They looked like herbivores, for crying out loud
Old 12-22-2002, 12:18 PM   #12
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Ya, well just hold your judgement on those flying things until one of them is attacking Theoden.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:34 AM   #13
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

I just want to see Eowyn decapitate one of those "fell beasts".<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> If they were a little "weaker" this time around its because they were airborn instead of at ground level. They're bound to be quieter with the atmosphere swallowing the sound up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But the camera pans around with the Nazgul. When it comes nearer, the shriek ought to be louder. Loudness aside, I thought the sheer force of the sound was a bit less impressive this time. Treebeard's call was amazing in its volume and intensity, but the Nazguls' didn't even come close. <P>Now that I've seen the movie again, I noticed that there is a ringing pitch to the call when they're in the Dead Marshes, but it isn't something you notice at first.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
Old 12-24-2002, 02:05 AM   #14
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked the way the fell beasts where designed. They had only hind legs and wings. A common mistake when making dragons or dragon like creatures is giving them 4 legs and wings.<P>I like the shreeks. That ringing you heard I believe was the ring calling them. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 05:51 AM   #15
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Thumbs up

I didn't like that stupid Nazgûl who was what? 2 metres away from Frodo <I>and the ring</I> and didn't even reach out to grab him... But apart from that, I love them! Especially the music that accompanies them as they ride our=t of Minas Morgul (or is it the Black Gate? I'm sure it was Minas Morgul)
Old 12-24-2002, 11:22 AM   #16
PippinSqueak
Pile O'Bones

PippinSqueak has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

It is slightly annoying, but i think Peter Jackson is using their screeching to get the point across that they are evil.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:28 AM   #17
Elven Mistress
Wight

Elven Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hehe, i saw the movie twice and didn't hear the screeching either times! i must be going deaf or something <sigh><P>My friend (who i went to see it with the second time) got all excited when the fell beasts came on. She started screeching "Dragons! Dragons!" I told her they weren't dragons, but she's adament about it <sigh> Thank God she's finally reading The Hobbit then she's going to read the trilogy...
Old 12-24-2002, 02:53 PM   #18
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The reason the Nazgul didn't go after the ring quickly is because that whole scene was in slow mo. Did you see how slow the fricken wings were flapping?? If that was sped up to its original spead I think there would be a lot less complaints on that point. PJ used maybe a little too much slow mo.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 03:50 PM   #19
Hawkeye
Pile O'Bones

Hawkeye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was kind of happy that the screeches weren't as loud in TTT. They really started to annoy me in FOTR after about the 5th time...<BR>I'm still not quite sure what i think about the fell beasts yet. I don't know, i guess i kind of pictured them a little bit closer to birds. But that's probably just me. <BR>But i must say, i think that all around PJ did an excellent job with the ringwraiths. (especially in FOTR) they're great!
Old 12-25-2002, 08:51 PM   #20
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Thank God she's finally reading The Hobbit <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's a difficult stage. I have a friend that's quit twice on the Hobbit, but both times I've talked her into trying it again. I seriously doubt I'll ever get her to LotR proper. It's terrible when you can't get someone to do something for their own good.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:13 PM   #21
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is what I love about fan-sites,and The Downs especially: we here can make a meaningful conversation out of loudness of the noises made by a certain monster species!! And no-one will say "shut up, I couldn't care less". I love you all, my fellow geeks. <p>[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: Nenya ]
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:48 PM   #22
nazzty

Sting

Nazgul were OK - maybe in places they were "not even supposed to be here today", <BR>but what i did not like were orks and uruks just arrrhhhhg and uhhhhrrrg all the time, like ....<BR>They should have been shown more intelligent, kwim?
Old 01-01-2003, 07:28 AM   #23
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Whenever they showed a shot of the Nazghul in the air, the background just looked plain fake. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeh, pretty true there Imrahil, at least for the close up pics. Especially the first time we see him. But I think that was supposed to be PJs way of saying to people who haven't read the books: <P> "Okay, look, this is a Black Rider. You remember them, right? Now, we're gonna zoom out a little bit, but be prepared for a bit of a shock. Here, I'll hold your hand..."<P>It's awful, though, seeing a movie and thinking to yourself, okay that guy's not really there, that guy is just another guy in a blue suit, those guys aren't really there, they're just in front of a blue screen... all the magic is gone.<P>What? Eh? Shriek? Oh... What? Uh, yeah they were much wussier this time round - <B>in direct contradiction to what the books say!!!</B> Groan! I think in general the Nazgul look even more impotent (teehee!) than in FOTR. I mean, the guy was hovering right there! Do something! Bite Frodo's head off, or something! <P>It's funny how the Fell Beasts looked so dragon-like, cos in all the illustrations I've seen they look just like that, only they're not as dragony. I always pictured them as souped-up Pteranadons - I would've liked to see that bony head bit that Pteranodons had.