The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2006, 04:25 PM   #1441
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Roads. In general really. An hours drive took three hours because there was just accident after accident and the traffic was crawling. On such a hot day it was really not fun.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #1442
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
People behind wheels who drive on puddles so carelessly without even thinking that maybe - just maybe - they're splattering water all over the innocent person on the sidewalk.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #1443
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
My Uncle got prosecuted for doing that - it wasn't on purpose but his passenger laughed at the unfortunate wet person who took the registration...

Anyway I assign having to search in an archive with ceilings about 5"6 high when you are 5"10..... it is definitely a hobbit sized archive....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:09 PM   #1444
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
This little bit of skin that feels like I've a bit of food stuck just where my wisdom tooth is coming through. It's driving me mad that I can't get rid of it.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:31 PM   #1445
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign snapping turtles. *shudder* They are knobby, algae-y, and can snap toes off. They never stop growing, they are the among the ugliest creatures on the planet, and they can snap toes off. They have a horrible snakey tail, and they have a horrid beak-like mouth that can snap toes off.

I also hate swimming in lakes and rivers where I've seen snapping turtles. It's not very fun to feel like you have to lie flat on the top three inches of water to keep from losing toes.

I personally have never (knowingly) gone within a fifty feet radius of an adult snapping turtle, unless you count watching the same one lay eggs in the same spot in the road every year.

I also assign the fact that I've never taken a walk downtown. I strolled hurriedly for a couple of blocks once, and glanced in the shops as I passed, but I've never had whole hours to spend shopping at all the neat little shops & cafes there.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #1446
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand Wicked pleasure assignment!

Making the trip from the Pittsburgh exit of the PA turnpike (mile marker 57) to the Downingtown exit (mile marker 312) in a little less than 3.5 hours.

And no, I didn't get a ticket. Speed limit is 65 mph, so I really wasn't speeding that much.

I'm absolutely certain that this will get me reassigned to Mordor again, and probably with just cause. But I was still far from the fastest driver on the road.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:00 AM   #1447
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Snapping turtles?

All together now: Awwww.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:47 AM   #1448
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I assign people who throw rubbish in the streets!

Copenhagen these days have so much rubbish lying around, that I feel the need to appologies for the state of our otherwise marvouless city to the turists.
All I am asking for is that people carry their rubbish, 100 meters or so to the next rubbish bin.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:01 AM   #1449
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
All together now: Awwww.
Ha! Having raised baby snapping turtles, I am impervious to your attack!
Ewww, see, they're even black and spikey when they're little. Like little Orcs, burarum.

Yes, we dug up the nest of the abovesaid laying turtle one year, and hatched a batch in a fishtank. Then we released them all in the sinkhole next to our house.

The property the sinkhole was on was sold and a house built near it. I'll assign to Mordor that we can no longer hunt for frogs there. And the fact that the shoreline was changed, and now when I look for a certain little nook or ithsmus, it's no longer there.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:41 AM   #1450
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Tears of anger. Tears should not be an expression of anger. The object of the anger is more likely to interpret it that the angry person is hurt, and show sympathy, or worse, condescension; and that's not a good thing if the angry person wants the object of the anger to melt in fear at the sight of the angry person. If that made sense.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:41 AM   #1451
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Leaf

It made sence. . . although I am having trouble imagining people melting of fear of you, Lhuna!

I assign that a person who has always been full of life, charming and fun, has to spend the last years of his very short life in a more or less vegetable state.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:45 AM   #1452
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Patches of water on a floor. Footwear with too little friction. Dozens of strangers and one of the last guys around whom you'd want to be caught in anything embarassing. Gravity. The concerned looks on same strangers' and guy's faces. Paranoia that whispers the presence of a laugh behind those concerned looks.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:38 AM   #1453
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Choices that I can make, but that are too hard to make. When I want both options more than anything, and both seem the obvious thing to do. It sucks. I want to be a kid again at times like these, and let my mom do the choosing for me.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:23 AM   #1454
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Mirkgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkgirl
Pipe

Everyone who approves of the soon-to-become practice of firing and/or not hiring people who smoke (not a regular smoker myself, but how come we claim to destroy discrimination by simply moving it to new territories?)
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #1455
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'll send to Mordor passing out. I did it today having some blood taken for tests and it was horrible. It was as though I was outside the surgery in the road, and then coming round it felt like I was trying not to drown, and I was thrashing and shouting and I bit my tongue. Plus it felt like my head was going to burst. Not nice.

And I'm sending when cats aren't well. Mine keep being sick after their meat.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:45 AM   #1456
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
King Lear by William Shakespeare.
Three words for you: Boring, dull, dreary.
________
Marijuana Medical

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:41 AM   #1457
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign the sort of bedroom situation in which you look suddenly around you to discover that at some point in the past three weeks, half, at least, of which you've spent out of state, your room exploded.

Okay, so the canvases on my floor are my fault. They never actually found a home. And yes, I set those two bags down when I got home from Vermont. But seriously... where did the rest of this stuff come from?
Old 08-16-2006, 07:45 AM   #1458
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Love

need I say more?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #1459
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Death. It really, really sucks.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:31 AM   #1460
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Death. It really, really sucks.
I wouldn't know, I have never tried it. . . .

I assign the thought of aproaching death

Old 08-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #1461
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
I wouldn't know, I have never tried it. . . .
Lord Voldemort...is that...you...?

On-topicness: I conassign losing momentum. And centripetal force.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:12 PM   #1462
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I assign people not writting to you on msn. . .

Like if I often start conversations with people, but they never take the initiative to start one with me. Then I start to wonder if they don't like me or if I am to klingy. . .Maybe I am really assigning lack of online confidence.

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 08-18-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:38 AM   #1463
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I assign that a kid at the party I was at for a few minutes last night was throwing up while passed out and everyone else was too drunk to think "This is bad."

There's a good reason for the 21 drinking age. It's these kids that prove 'adults' right.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #1464
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign people who hate their birthdays...(see assign to the Shire )
Old 08-18-2006, 10:51 PM   #1465
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Okay, so the canvases on my floor are my fault. They never actually found a home.
I second that... I try to rid of the big and small annoyances, but my friends say they have too many already.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:52 PM   #1466
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I assign people not writting to you on msn. . .

Like if I often start conversations with people, but they never take the initiative to start one with me. Then I start to wonder if they don't like me or if I am to klingy. . .Maybe I am really assigning lack of online confidence.
I don't think it's a reflection on on you Rune. I know that I always love to talk to people online, but I rarely remember to look at who else is online when I go on the internet because my instant messenger program starts up automatically when I turn on the computer, so I don't think about it. I'm not sure how much sense that made, but if the people you talk to online are anything like me, then they don't mean anything towards you by not initiating conversations.

To stay on topic, I assign mold and mildew. Just thinking about it makes my skin crawl, so you can imagine my horror when I discovered a plastic bag with several items of damp and moldy/mildewed clothing hding in my room! I'm not sure why or when I put them in the bag in the first place, but they were obviously there long enough to gain a horrid collection of fuzzy-looking blak dots all over them. Eeeeeeeeeeew! Fortunately the clothes have lost all traces of whatever was growing on them after several days of soaking in a bucket of diluted bleach.

Last edited by Orominuialwen; 08-18-2006 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Clarification
Orominuialwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 03:17 AM   #1467
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm assigning something Very Horrible I'd forgotten about. Piranha Fish! When I was a kid I used to get books from the library about foreign countries (always been a firm armchair traveller ) and one had lots of lurid tales about people eaten by Piranhas. I've always been afraid of them ever since - when I was 10 we went to Liverpool Museum and I was transfixed by the tank of Piranhas, then the guard saw me tapping the glass and told me they'd all get out and bite me! I've just seen a TV show where a man was fishing for them in Guyana and they were huge! He had to hit the thing on the head to stun it. I've just had a childhood fear reawakened

Finally I'm assigning the traffic on my street because the Premiership starts here in 2 hours and its already busy. Can't they catch the bus for once?! Or even walk, as its only five minutes from the station! Argh! But I'll bet Sean Bean will be in the pub down the road later!
Old 08-20-2006, 06:51 PM   #1468
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Piranha Fish!
My dad used to have piranhas when he was a kid... he'd stick his arm in the tank and charge people to watch. The secret? Feeding them plenty of food beforehand so they wouldn't be driven to a feeding frenzy. Still kinda scary, though.

Now, to be on topic, I assign illness. Not fun, not even a little bit. Especially when there's nothing on TV.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #1469
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I assign people salting their food before even tasting it. I think it is an insult to the person cooking.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:41 PM   #1470
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I assign people salting their food before even tasting it. I think it is an insult to the person cooking.
Well, there I go to Mordor yet again. But I like salt! That's like saying "How dare you put cinnamon on your sugar and buttered toast; it's an insult to the sugar!" With all due respect:
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:52 PM   #1471
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

How are you to know how much salt the cook has put in that food? For all you know it could taste like the Dead Sea !

Old 08-21-2006, 09:56 AM   #1472
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
How are you to know how much salt the cook has put in that food? For all you know it could taste like the Dead Sea !
Ah but the primary cook for my food is notorious for a lack of salt (in my most humble opinion), and she complains about the very same thing! I always end up adding salt, even after doing her the courtesy of tasting her (not savory enough) meats etc. And at restaurants, if I order it salty so it comes, and I don't have to worry about it.

By the by, you DID assign PEOPLE who salt their foods, not the action.

So anyway, I (con)assign PEOPLE who make huge generalized assignments to Mordor based on personal taste. Nya nya nya!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:33 AM   #1473
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

I would like to deepen this new rift between the Downers by also assigning those who pepper their food before tasting it. Salt and Pepper detract from Flavour by replacing it with their own.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #1474
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Only if you use it wrongly. Salt and pepper are meant to enhance, so don't heap it on. Sheesh. Just like any other spice.

So I assign all the ninnies who don't know how to properly use spices with their foods.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:13 PM   #1475
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Playing the other side of the issue, I'll assign cooks who oversalt the food.

For the record, I taste first.

Conassigned to Mordor: delays at work that put you 3 hours behind schedule.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:12 AM   #1476
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I assign people who reach across the table and pepper other people's food. Dad always used to do that when we had cottage cheese. Don't get me wrong, I like a little fresh-ground pepper on my cottage cheese. I just like to put it there myself.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:14 AM   #1477
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Buss 79 drivers.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:57 AM   #1478
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny
I assign people who reach across the table and pepper other people's food. Dad always used to do that when we had cottage cheese. Don't get me wrong, I like a little fresh-ground pepper on my cottage cheese. I just like to put it there myself.
Horrendous memories... Father... salt... pepper... lemon juice... MY FOOD.

I agree completely. Parents, your taste does not apply to your children. Keep this is mind.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:23 AM   #1479
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
I agree completely. Parents, your taste does not apply to your children. Keep this is mind.
Same goes for preference in times to wake up. Why is it that every morning my mother wants to speak to me at 7:30? Why can't she do it the night before? Even better, why can't she call me from work? My alarm was set for 8:30. Surely that's a reasonable time to get up? Why, mother, why?
Old 08-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #1480
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Location: where people stick out their tongues at their youth pastor....
shieldmaiden4xsword has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
LOL

oh.....this is an interesting thread.

I agree. Parents' tastes don't apply to their kids. hmph.
shieldmaiden4xsword is offline   Reply With Quote