The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2004, 10:04 PM   #1
Nilaraniel
Animated Skeleton

Nilaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nilaraniel Send a message via MSN to Nilaraniel Send a message via Yahoo to Nilaraniel
1420! I hope this is a joke...

Hey yall.

I haven't been here in probably a year or so...been busy with school, work, all that icky stuff, you know. Anyway, a friend told me about this website that really had her MAD. I don't know if any of you have been to see it...but I am seriously hoping that whoever wrote this is joking and I just haven't seen where he/she says "Haha this website is a JOKE"

Check it out...but be prepared. It will have you wanting to strangle someone. Sure, I have no problem when people give me a good reason they think LOTR sucks, but they better have something to back it up with, something better than the crap this guy makes up.

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/film/50reasons.html

PLEASE somebody tell me this was a huge big joke or I may cry at the ignorance that seems to be spreading throughout the world...

Nilaraniel
Old 06-21-2004, 10:42 PM   #2
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
I have seen this website before, and don't worry, it is not serious at all. It is just all in parody. I personally don't think this is one of the best comic things related to LOTR, but it is okay. So just read it, enjoy it, and have an enjoyable time

And besides just look at the name of the website: Pointlesswasteoftime.com
Do you really think a serious website would actually have a name like that?
Old 06-21-2004, 10:56 PM   #3
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe No need to start crying yet

Yes, it's all a huge joke. I recommend the comparison of The Lord of the Rings, The Matrix and Star Wars.

Parody isn't always clearly marked as such. Sometimes you just have to look at what's being said and ask yourself if it's satirising its own message. In this case, it's pretty obvious that it is.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:48 AM   #4
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

Yes, this was a parody, I've seen it before, and had to convince my friend not to hunt this individual down and skin him alive.

Although I wonder about this myself:

Quote:
The Hobbits both 1) refuse to wear shoes and 2) run a livestock-based farming economy. Wouldn't they constantly be stepping in crap?
I suppose they just learn to avoid it...
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:32 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

It's been awhile since I saw this site, and I enjoyed some great laughs looking through it again! Thanks for reminding us of that link!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 07:14 AM   #6
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Speaking of Orcs...

The Orcs were obviously stolen from PC game maker Blizzard and its Warcraft series. Too bad Blizzard is apparently too scared to sue New Line over it.

not true, tolkien made orcs before this game came out! (1993)

Gold: The Stretchy Element.

The ring, which is seen to be at least two inches in diameter at the beginning to fit the polish sausage-sized finger of Sauron, suddenly fits Frodo's child-sized finger later. I guess this movie takes place in a world where rings magically change sizes on their own.

tolkien did say it happened in the book

Homage or theft II?

The wise old wizard character was stolen from Harry Potter.

again, tolkien made this book before harry potter came out!

Homage or theft III?

The "travelling on our quest through a corn field" scene was stolen from Shrek.see above

and many other homage and theft things...that guy did very little research with the books...
Old 06-22-2004, 08:06 AM   #7
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Very funny. I also really liked the other pieces he wrote on Eminem, The Matrix and KaZaA. Rather close to my sense of humour, unfortunately it's a sense of humour that many people just don't understand.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:43 AM   #8
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Hilarious! I especially liked his "apology" to his detractors.

Thanks for pointing out this site.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:28 AM   #9
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Oh, I love that site.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:07 AM   #10
Gil-Galad

about my previous thread, i was just pointing out obvious points that makes his decisons untrue, thus a parody
Old 06-22-2004, 12:40 PM   #11
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
black crow spies and their black glass seeing ball inhabit their black towers and perform black magic. Gosh, I wonder if there's some symbolism there?
Foreboding! The word is 'foreboding'! Besides, what colour would you like your crows, essentially a black bird, to be?! A white crow could look just a wee bit out of place, doncha' think?

Quote:
I guess this movie takes place in a world where rings magically change sizes on their own
Along with the Gandalp one, that just made me laugh. Homer Simpson comes to mind...

Quote:
Liv Tyler's character is seen easily defeating nine strong supernatural beings, even though she is clearly a woman
And the writer was accusing us of racism, then he goes straight forward and insults the French! And comes off as a homophobe! Dear me...*cough*hypocrisy*cough*

Number 20 somewhat reveals it as a spoof though..."Experts on the occult say in order for a wizard to floorspin a fully-grown man like Gandalf, he'd need three magical staffs, not two. " As do 27, 28, 29...oh pretty much everything from there upwards!

Brilliant. Most amusing.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:23 PM   #12
Nilaraniel
Animated Skeleton

Send a message via AIM to Nilaraniel Send a message via MSN to Nilaraniel Send a message via Yahoo to Nilaraniel
1420! Thank the Lord!

I am so glad that it was a parody after all (I ended up going to the main page after I posted here and after reading what was there had convinced myself it was fake...or at least hoped and prayed it was!)...Reading through it made me pretty mad but I was thinking...surely there isn't anyone THIS stupid out there is there?!
Perhaps reading it at 2 in the morning is not the best thing either.
I have definetly seen much more amusing parodies on LOTR...this one's kind of sad actually, but pretty clever too. Specially since I got tricked into believing it the first time around!!!
Point and laugh, it's okay.
Hey, it's nice to be back here. I like the new layout and everything...think I might stick around a while.

Nilaraniel
Old 06-22-2004, 05:16 PM   #13
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Originally posted by Gil-Galad:

Quote:
about my previous thread, i was just pointing out obvious points that makes his decisons untrue, thus a parody
Oh, there's an obvious reason for everyone one of his posts to be parodies.

Perhaps your first post was when you had mistakingly confused the parody for an actual opinion?
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:57 PM   #14
Lûthien Nénharma
Pile O'Bones

Lûthien Nénharma has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lûthien Nénharma Send a message via MSN to Lûthien Nénharma
Silmaril ....

This individual really toasts my bread, whips my cream, fries my eggs. It is clearly noticeable that this individual has no morals, no imagination or even a clue about Lord of the Rings. For instance I am convinced that this person has only seen the FOTR and the TTT and has no idea that the books came out before the movie.
Ladies and Gentlemen, this kind of person who talks about something they have no clue about is called a MORON. Try to have a nice day.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:03 PM   #15
Carnimírië
Wight

Carnimírië has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Heh heh, it's mildly amusing. Regarding the thing about "gold: the stretchy element," I am reminded of Isildur writing in his scroll "The Ring misseth, maybe, the heat of Sauron's hand, and it has cooled even as I write and it seemeth to shrink," to paraphrase.

Sister of The Elf Warrior
Carnimírië is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 07:27 PM   #16
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lûthien Nénharma
This individual really toasts my bread, whips my cream, fries my eggs. It is clearly noticeable that this individual has no morals, no imagination or even a clue about Lord of the Rings. For instance I am convinced that this person has only seen the FOTR and the TTT and has no idea that the books came out before the movie.
Ladies and Gentlemen, this kind of person who talks about something they have no clue about is called a MORON. Try to have a nice day.
You do know that this site is a parody, yes? A farse it is, and a good one too.

Actually, though this may be my inner cruelty and cold-heartedness, I most enjoyed the forums. Nearly every thread is some poor fool (I pity them) who thought that the site was real and meant for causticism. It's all very vulgar, and uncivilized, but funny to see who 'stand up' for Tolkien. Some of them are more ignorant than the fake persona of the site manufacturer, and have very poor attempts at rebuttal. I believe the single, most amusing thing was a thread in which a disgruntled poster systematically ran down every reason why the '50 Reasons Why LotR Suck" list was wrong and then another poster - who knew of the joke - posted a link to a definition of the word parody. The first, ignorant poster thought it was completely irrelevant *sheds a silent tear for foolishnesses past, ai*.

Actually, some of the things on the list are intriguing. Really, only a few. The comment about it being impossible to see when invisible was enlightening, since I'd never known that. Like a 'FUN FACT for the Day.' Also, I am now convinced that Sauron should have been played by Jimmy Carter.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:37 PM   #17
Gil-Galad

White-Hand

Lûthien Nénharma, as stated before it is a parody, he may not even be a moron, only trying to get a few laughs...and estel, i knew it was a parody, i was just pointing out thinks that showed his lack of knowledge for his decisons why lotr movies sucked
Old 06-22-2004, 09:07 PM   #18
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
i knew it was a parody, i was just pointing out thinks that showed his lack of knowledge for his decisons why lotr movies sucked
It isn't lack of knowledge. It is a parody.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 04:50 AM   #19
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots Chortle!

I agree with Kransha about the 'invisibility' reason. That was actually very interesting to consider. Although I can surely just wait for a Downer well learned in physics to refute the claim.

On a far more crude level, I have to admit laughing out loud when reading the 'Arwen-immortality' reason.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:41 AM   #20
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I agree, mildly amusing.
Point ten about the eagles and the codicil about the balrog wings shows the author is clearly up-to-speed on Tolkienite debating issues. And of course, for many of us here on the Downs, Reason 13 is extremely valid and not a parody at all....
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:39 AM   #21
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Ah, this one was even more than mildly amusing :

Quote:
Aragorn uses his powers of persuasion to great effect, promising the dead army commander that, if they will risk possible death on behalf of Gondor, he will reward them with death

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 02:43 PM   #22
Nilaraniel
Animated Skeleton

1420! Haha!

I tried to trick my dad last night...I printed out the webpage and pretended to be mad and went to go read him what the "moron" wrote...I died laughing through the FIRST reason and he instantly knew it was a parody...he loved it.
Watch who you call morons for believing it! I half-believed, but of course it WAS 2 in the morning and I may have been slightly drunk by that time... so I have an excuse right? Kidding, kidding... Anyway, glad my half-moronic self was able to get a fun thread started for once.

Nilaraniel
Old 06-23-2004, 03:06 PM   #23
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I know that it is a joke but I don't like that website. I think lots of the jokes are very lame. Howver I just ignore the website and try not to annoy myself about the stupid jokes they put on there.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:59 PM   #24
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I thought a lot of them were funny too, these are just a few of my favorites:

Quote:
Why, in part 1, is the black octopus creature painted as the bad guy when it attacks, when one of the fellowship had clearly been throwing rocks at it?
Quote:
Why couldn't Frodo have been played by Christopher Walken?
(Any of us who have ever complained about the casting should never do so again !)

Quote:
Why couldn't Bilbo have been played by Vin Diesel?
(See above)

Quote:
Liv Tyler's character is seen easily defeating nine strong supernatural beings, even though she is clearly a woman.
(Gotta love that one, huh Lush?)

Quote:
Gandalf's smoke boat at Bilbo's party is pretty impressive, but smoke cannot be made to travel horizontally, thus revealing it to be nothing but a cheap special effect.
Quote:
Experts on the occult say in order for a wizard to floorspin a fully-grown man like Gandalf, he'd need three magical staffs, not two.
There really are to many, & I shouldn't be flooding the topic with things you guys can read for yourself, but I still liked those .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 01:22 PM   #25
Carnimírië
Wight

Carnimírië has just left Hobbiton.
Ok, I read it again, and this is more than mildly amusing:
Quote:
Too many characters to keep track of. The dwarf was clearly only there as a token dwarf character to sell tickets to lucrative movie-going dwarf demographic. Lose him.

Sister of The Elf Warrior
Carnimírië is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:33 AM   #26
Araréiel

Araréiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ah yes, I was hoping this was still around! A lot of it is sadly semi-true. Like kids being forced to read a movie-version of the book. But I never saw Boromir played by two people, as said in #4. By the way, switching Darrens refers to Bewitched. The original Darren (Dick York) couldn't carry on the role, so they replaced him with a new guy (Dick Sargeant) without telling viewers. And, since they looked so much alike, most people didn't notice for a long time.
Araréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:15 AM   #27
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

One Axe to Rule them All has just left Hobbiton.
*Laugh*

Quote:
I guess this movie takes place in a world where rings magically change sizes on their own.
You guessed it!

Okay, it was all fun and games until THIS happened
Quote:
Too many characters to keep track of. The dwarf was clearly only there as a token dwarf character to sell tickets to lucrative movie-going dwarf demographic. Lose him.
I happen to be one of the lucrative movie-going dwarf lovers and his comments are greatly unappreciated!
Old 07-03-2004, 07:23 PM   #28
One of the Nine
Haunting Spirit

Location: In my mind. What? Why are you looking at me like that?
One of the Nine has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to One of the Nine Send a message via MSN to One of the Nine
Sting

OK, I've heard of not liking LotR, but this guy HATES it with a burning passion! I feel like doing some spy work. I should register, you know, and then see what they think, then expose myself. They'll go nuts! Hehehehehe. I've always liked to be devious. BUT, nothing gets my blood boiling like a pack of lies about Frodo and Sam and his savvy bunch. SO, I shall have some fun with this whole stupid website of theirs! (where's the devil smiley when you need it!)
Old 07-04-2004, 11:21 AM   #29
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

One of the Nine;

I don't understand how you can say he hates The Lord of the Rings. After all, us Barrowdowners parody the Rings all the time in Middle-earth Mirth. Do we hate it? Of course not.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:12 PM   #30
Mirkgirl
Haunting Spirit

Mirkgirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkgirl
It takes some interest in a matter to look at it closely enough to make a parody.(:

Altho a good deal of these are as lame as you can get, I have to admit there are some real chuckles, esp the french, the elven arrows secreting gland and the wizard unflamable facial hair. Maybe I'm easily amused but I'd rather stay so
"Hobbits! Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this."
Mirkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 01:34 PM   #31
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
*ahem hoom hum* Remember, people, it's a parody. The proof is in the pudding.
I do believe he forgot some things, though. I say 'harumph' to such a credibility-lacking site, as it leaves much to be desired. Pour example...

1. Rowling vs. Tolkien: The Ringwraiths are an obvious rip-off of J.K.Rowling's Dementors. Just as Shelob is an apparent rip-off of Rowling's Aragog. Gollum is a rip-off of Rowling's character Dobby. Treebeard is a rip-off of Rowling's Whomping Willow. Hmm-hoom-hom-hum, disgraceful...And that's just Rowling rip-offs. (milord, my memory of that series is considerably less fresh than my memory of the LotR series itself. Well, one work of fiction must be subject to the overpowering grandeur of another).

3. The Lord of the Contact Lens: As a lidless eye, retenal functions for Sauron would be painful, and cause said eye to tear uncontrollably. Of course, the searing heat of the eye-flame would deter those tears. Sauron would've been more worried about manufacturing a giant contact lens than getting a ring that he couldn't wear, for lack of fingers. His optical control should have been put first.

4. Holiday Heroes Homogenized: For the bizarre 'adaptation' of the movies, entitled Lord of the Rings, the character 'Tom Bombadil' was a blatant rip-off of Santa Clause, Goldberry of Mrs. Clause, living happily in a forest rather than the North Pole. The Balrog of Moria is an equally blatant spinoff of the Easter Bunny, delivering fiery death rather than easily spoiling, brightly colored eggs.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies

Last edited by Kransha; 07-04-2004 at 01:40 PM.
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:42 PM   #32
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Gee...I haven't seen that site since about 2000 when it said it had 13 pages of the Attack of the Clones script that a Lucasfilm insider had stolen. That was one of there more serious indevours for they didn't make fun of Star Wars they just wanted people to believe that they had part of the script. I can't believe that site still exists.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:25 PM   #33
Orodoliel
Haunting Spirit

Orodoliel has just left Hobbiton.
I think that whole site is hillarious, but probably best not take it too seriously !
Old 07-19-2004, 07:08 PM   #34
GARY-the-White
Pile O'Bones

GARY-the-White has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GARY-the-White
unbelievable

he obviously set out to pick the movie completely apart

I am GaRYtheWHiTe brother of Gandalf and if by my life or death i can protect you i will

GãR¥théWH¡Të
GARY-the-White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:13 PM   #35
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

One Axe to Rule them All has just left Hobbiton.
It is funny to look at it and laugh with the guy who made it...

He obviously was making a good joke out of it and was not really trying to start something. Those that think otherwise need to be sacked.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:27 PM   #36
Pippin Pondlily
Animated Skeleton

Pippin Pondlily has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I am so glad to happen upon this thread! My cousin read these out from the webpage back in December when ROTK was released. I laughed so incredibly hard and I have been trying to find it again for a while now. It's completely hilarious I laughed all over again re-reading them. It's really brilliant!

Thanks!

- P. Pondlily
Pippin Pondlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:57 AM   #37
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

The thread would be of better quality (and a whole lot shorter) if everyone actually read the entire thread before posting.

Because (for approximately the 30th time) this site was a parody.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:13 AM   #38
Gil-Galad

i counted 32nd on my count...
Old 07-22-2004, 04:05 PM   #39
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Narya

ok, i know that the site was a parody, but the sad thing is, some of the people reading it actually believe what he's saying. go to the forum on the site! There are people actually saying and believing that PJ novelized the movie then PRETENDED that JRR Tolkien wrote it in the 50's!! HOW IGNORANT! i understand that it was meant to be a joke, but some jokes shouldn't go that far. especially # 13 on the site. way out of line. im sure "doctor oxford" meant no harm, just it kinda ticks me off that someone could HATE lord of the rings and THEN write a parody. its not exactly respectful. and the message board really got me going, but ill let it go. after all, what do they know? lol, hopefully nobody thinks im crazy for being a little ticked at this site.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:54 PM   #40
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

I cannot understand why you would be ticked at it. I just do not fully understand some people. What is there left to discuss about this? Why is this thread still open?

Barrow-wight, end this madness. I beg you.