The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-22-2003, 08:15 PM   #1
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Question Spanish is Dark Speech??

I finally got myself to finish TTT! Took me forever--I had such a HARD TIME making myself go through---that certain part (I'm sure a lot of you know what I'm talking about!!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, at the part when the Orcs show up more than one of them (or one of them more than once) uses the term "Hola!"

HUH??? I work at a preschool with many spanish speaking kids and a couple of teachers to boot, and none of them look like Orcs! For that matter, I didn't see any Orcs in my Spanish I or II classes in High School. WHERE in Middle Earth did this phrase come from? Or was it MEANT to be a joke??? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

[ August 22, 2003: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 08:44 PM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Are you sure the orc wasn't addressing another orc by a name or nickname? Seems very unlikely that there were many orcs of a race and dialect that had yet to be created.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:53 PM   #3
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Mm...no. The only names (Orc-wise) that I see mentioned are Shagrat and Gorbag (as far as the ones actually there).
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 08-23-2003, 05:06 PM   #4
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I have actually wondered about this myself. I think that it was meant purely as an exclamation, and not with the same meaning as the Spanish (obviously...). It is probably pronounced as it is written, rather than having a silent "h". So I suppose the similarity was unintentional, although doubtless Tolkien knew the Spanish meaning. Hmmm.....

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 05:23 PM   #5
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Question

Looking at the section of the story again, I wonder if it couldn't have been a name/nickname. Kind of difficult to tell in the way it was used, but it still strikes me odd. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2003, 07:25 PM   #6
Arwen Melian
Wight

Location: Sometimes Imladris....sometimes Mirkwood...other times ....Lothlorien
Arwen Melian has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It's not Spanish because the "ho" and the "la" are seperate. Yes, I often wondered if it was, but it can't be. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Arwen Melian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 07:26 PM   #7
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Sting

The orcs had many strange exclamations. Another one would be "Garn."
Old 08-23-2003, 07:32 PM   #8
Arwen Melian
Wight

Silmaril

Thats's funny, "Garn" means yarn. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2003, 11:15 AM   #9
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

I don't know about Spanish being Black Speech, but I know my old Spanish teacher is Sauron. ...Does that count? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 03:25 PM   #10
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
It's not Spanish because the "ho" and the "la" are seperate.
Funny, they're not in my book.

Quote:
'Hola! Gorbag! WHat are you doing up here?'
Quote:
'Hai! Hola! Here's something!'
Kind of does sound like a name being used here...but from what I read no Orc named 'Hola' ever says anything. Of course, Sam does say:
Quote:
'Thirty or forty (Orcs are there) from the tower at least, and a lot more than that from down below, I guess.'
LOL...so if there were a hundred Orcs milling around, I guess Tolkien couldn't have given them ALL a speaking part...;p
Old 08-24-2003, 06:48 PM   #11
Arwen Melian
Wight

Silmaril

I swaer i saw them separate in one part in my book *holds up book to screen...look*. I wouldn't have said that otherwise. Maybe its typo. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2003, 09:17 PM   #12
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

It's one word in my version, too.

Quote:
I wonder if it couldn't have been a name/nickname.
It's possible, but odd that it only appears in the dialogue. We can't assuse that just because it isn't mentioned outside of the dialogue it's not a name, but I would think that Tolkien would at least make some other reference to another Orc that he took the time to name... *shrug* But that's just me. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 09:23 PM   #13
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Sting

A strange point, Arianrod. I think that in fact it was a name, or some sort of call. Tolkien did sometimes use names for people within the context of dialogue and not without. There is an example of this, I believe, in the Mustering of Rohan chapter, though I could not be sure. I suppose it could could be an orkish equivalent of "lazy bones" or "good-for-nothing", something to that effect.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:59 PM   #14
Maikadurwen
Wight

Maikadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maikadurwen Send a message via MSN to Maikadurwen Send a message via Yahoo to Maikadurwen
Sting

maybe the orcs were just grunting or something [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2003, 07:30 PM   #15
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Perhaps "Hola" was meant to be the Black Speech equivalent of "you guys" or a "large group."
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 01:07 PM   #16
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I've always thought of if simply as an exclamation. In my mind, an orc saying "Hola!" would be the equivalent of someone saying "Wow!" or "Look!" or "Hey!".

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 09:33 AM   #17
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lutien I think you are the closest to the right answer. The orks probably wouldn't be using the same language and therefore would not throw in random words of black speech. I think it is most likely just and exclamation of some sort.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:38 AM   #18
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In fact, it could have been a dutch word as well. "Hola" in dutch is an exlamation, like "wait a minute" or "Hey, what's that?".
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2003, 01:24 PM   #19
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Well, now that I think about it, you never know.

The other day, in my Spanish class, my teacher was going over division of syllables, and we got to the word, "lagrima." I think it means "tear." Anyway, it can be divided up into "La Grima" which would mean "The (implied female) Grima." And Grima caused a lot of tears to be shed. So, you never know with that Spanish, Tolkien could be trying to tell you something.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:20 PM   #20
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Whoa. Now THAT's interesting, Finwe. After all, Prof Tolkien WAS a linguist...(if that's the correct term...) [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2003, 08:05 AM   #21
Amarie of the Vanyar
Wight

Amarie of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In fact, the word 'Grima' exists in Spanish. It probably comes from gothic *grimms which meant horrible.

Grima means loathing, disgust, aversion, annoyance. And is mostly used in the sentence 'algo/alguien me da grima' which means 'something/somebody gives me the shivers' or 'something/somebody sickens me'; which fits very well with Grima Wormtongue.

I think that probably Tolkien derived the name Grima from the original gothic word *grimms; not directly from Spanish. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Lágrima (tear) has nothing to see with grima; it comes from latin lacrima.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:45 PM   #22
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Oh for the tenth time!

Grima is an actuall Anglo-Saxon word, "grima". It means helmet or mask, or in more poetical senses ghost. Since Grima was Rohirrim and Rohirric and Saxon are almost identical. MAkes sense.

Also, Some people will try to tell you black speech is Gaelic. They will give evidence saying "nazg" or 'ring' is from the Gaelic "Nasc" meaning ring as well. WRONG!! The Gaelic word for 'ring' is "fainne".
Old 09-04-2003, 06:29 PM   #23
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Sorry Amarië! It appears that I must defer to my betters when it comes to Latin roots and Spanish words. I am merely a beginner in that illustrious tongue.

I wouldn't put it past the old Professor to garner words from Latin, after all, look what he did with the Celtic languages!
Old 09-04-2003, 07:49 PM   #24
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Mr. Frodo? Well, I'll be! Didn't know you were such an athourity on languages...b'sides th' Elvish, that is. Welcome t' the thread.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:56 AM   #25
Sharkű
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkű has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I prefer the authority of Professor Tolkien:
Quote:
"nazg: the word for 'ring' in the Black Speech. This was devised to be a vocable as distinct in style and phonetic content from words of the same meaning in Elvish, or in other real languages that are most familiar: English, Latin, Greek, etc. Though actual congruences (of form + sense) occur in unrelated real languages, and it is impossible in constructing imaginary languages from a limited number of component sounds to avoid such resemblances (if one tries to – I do not), it remains remarkable that nasc is the word for 'ring' in Gaelic (Irish: in Scottish usually written nasg). It also fits well in meaning, since it also means, and prob. originally meant, a bond, and can be used for an 'obligation'. Nonetheless I only became aware, or again aware, of its existence recently in looking for something in a Gaelic dictionary. I have no liking at all for Gaelic from Old Irish downwards, as a language, but it is of course of great historical and philological interest, and I have at various times studied it. (With alas! very little success.) It is thus probable that nazg is actually derived from it, and this short, hard and clear vocable, sticking out from what seems to me (an unloving alien) a mushy language, became lodged in some comer of my linguistic memory." (Letter 297)
[ September 05, 2003: Message edited by: Sharkű ]
Sharkű is offline   Reply With Quote