The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #1441
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
I totally read that as "the other guy was Rick Astley" and about died.
You're not alone
Old 07-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #1442
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
Nice room. Looks like lots of antique stuff is in there. Is that all yours? Also you look nice in that pic.
No, that is our dining room. But about half of the stuff in that China Cabinet belong to me. I like tea, you see. I have about 15 teacups in my (well, might as well be mine) china cabinet. Did you see the desk with 15 000 000 000 papers lying top it? That is the Bane of our existence!
And, thank you, I do very much like being told I look nice, though I'm not given that compliment often... (Only by my mother and best friend)

EDIT: Silly me, our china cabinet isn't in that picture! Just the fireplace, there's lots of candles!

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 07-29-2009 at 02:47 PM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:29 PM   #1443
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
I totally read that as "the other guy was Rick Astley" and about died.

(By the way, how do I end up on the photo page? All of you look so fabulous and silly and I'd love to join you if I can.)

But you wouldn't get this from any other guy...

All you need to do is email Volo with your picture, his address is in his profile.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #1444
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Brilliant! My photo is now changed! It's a lovely one!
Old 08-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #1445
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oooo shiny! Thanks Oddie!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #1446
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I suppose, after so many years on the Downs, I should post a picture of myself.

Here is First Age Bethberry:

Y'all can thank al for this.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #1447
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Here is First Age Bethberry:
Those looking for a 'Seventh Age Bethberry should see the attached file. Note that it was taken using my cell phone, and from a distance, and so the resolution is a little low (however, you can clearly see Bb waving).

No need to thank me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7thAgeBb.jpg (43.7 KB, 558 views)
Old 08-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #1448
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Those looking for a 'Seventh Age Bethberry should see the attached file. Note that it was taken using my cell phone, and from a distance, and so the resolution is a little low (however, you can clearly see Bb waving).

No need to thank me.
Just in case anyone is having difficulty seeing me waving, I'm the smart, good looking one in the middle of the group. Maybe Volo can work a bit on the resolution.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #1449
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
I found an old photo (I was 15 or 16) which suits the Downs better:

And this one is a more recent photo of me.:

Sorry for the size; I'm still semi-literate when it comes to computers.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:09 AM   #1450
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The alatar tribe was joined this weekend by two honorary members. I'll leave it to you to figure out which are which.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twomore.jpg (97.9 KB, 546 views)
Old 09-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #1451
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up Good one!

Well let me see, the odd ones, I think, are the blonde lass in the pink T-shirt and the elephant. Am I right?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #1452
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Nice photo alatar.

As for the two honourary members:

Well, it's obviously the two adults...

... Ok, if we're being serious, it's the elephant and the boy.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:48 AM   #1453
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Thanks. The honorary members are, of course, "Princess Victoria," a ten year old elephant, and the boy in the back with the glasses.

Thankfully the elephant did not accompany us when we went to eat later that day...not that the kids didn't want to bring her home.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:05 AM   #1454
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Nice photo Lindale! I like the graveyard one especially.

And for those of you who would like to see an even more ridiculous photo of me than the one on the Barrow-Downs Photo Page you can see it here:

IMG_0306_2.JPG

I think this is an accurate representation of my daily activities. That nefarious willow fooled me again!
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #1455
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Had you worn a white dress in the photo, you would have looked like what I would expect Goldberry to look like.

EDIT: Also thought I could post a more recent picture in here, the last one is now one year old.

So, anyway, here's me at my senior prom (Abiball in German):

The cool part about our prom is that unlike America we are allowed to drink.

Last edited by The Might; 09-07-2009 at 07:58 AM.
The Might is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #1456
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
I think this is an accurate representation of my daily activities. That nefarious willow fooled me again!
Hey, that's a nice picture. My first impression was actually that it is a painting by John Howe or Ted Nasmith or both. Nice colors, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
So, anyway, here's me at my senior prom (Abiball in German)
Well, that's very nice too, Mig! While I dislike the portrayals of "succesful young men" in commercials, I think you here seem like an essence of a true, real one (in contrary to the construct that is usually pushed on us, i.e. a self-made man who has everything he ever wanted, but it gives the impression that despite that, his life must be completely hollow).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #1457
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
Abiball in German
Interesting you call it that in Germany... from abiturus I guess, like we have in Finlad. Those getting their matriculation examination from a senior secondary High-school are called abis in Finland as well.

And my God how the Finnish abiturients drink... (says one who has taken part into something like 11 abi-cruises on a ship after their school ends, by the request of my students...)

But you look good there! Clearly not too many drinks, yet.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #1458
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Hey, that's a nice picture. My first impression was actually that it is a painting by John Howe or Ted Nasmith or both. Nice colors, too.
Thanks! I took that photo at my cousin's farm in Iowa. It really was the most magnificent old willow she had there, I couldn't resist being eaten by it! No doubt my relatives think I'm completely mad now, what with my climbing into decaying trees and crying plaintively for Tom Bombadil to come and save me - they may never speak to me again!.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #1459
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
Thanks! I took that photo at my cousin's farm in Iowa. It really was the most magnificent old willow she had there, I couldn't resist being eaten by it! No doubt my relatives think I'm completely mad now, what with my climbing into decaying trees and crying plaintively for Tom Bombadil to come and save me - they may never speak to me again!.
Laurinque, so I was quite right about Goldberry.

Legate, this is a picture that looked kind of special, so I chose to take this one, also because it probably is the one I look best in. And trust me, I am far from having everything I ever wanted, I'm trying to get there at the moment though.

Nogrod, indeed, the exam is called Abitur here. And we also are abis. Only difference is we didn't have a cruise, but rather a trip to Hungary to the shores of the Balaton Lake, quite nice place. I had had quite many drinks (champagne) in the morning when we received our diplomas and since I was out the night before I had to sleep for two hours in order to be "fresh" at the ball that evening. I'm a bit nostalgic now after having written this.

Anyway, to cheer myself up, here's the other good photo with me and mother Berúthiel:

Old 09-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #1460
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
And my God how the Finnish abiturients drink... (says one who has taken part into something like 11 abi-cruises on a ship after their school ends, by the request of my students...)
No we (ha! they) don't! The teachers and parents who are supervising there are probably drinking more.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #1461
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Miggy's photo reminded me of this ball we had at school last winter (the same one Lommy and Volo attended a year ago in case anyone remembers). So here comes...

PS. I'll buy a beer to the one who guesses which 'Downer my partner is. (In case you come to Finland, that is.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wanah.jpg (28.2 KB, 553 views)
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #1462
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
PS. I'll buy a beer to the one who guesses which 'Downer my partner is. (In case you come to Finland, that is.)
Might take you up on that beer some time because I do know who that dashing young, uhm, man is. Hardly need to spell it out do I?
Old 09-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #1463
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
This post goes with my post in the assign to the shire thread. I mentioned I had pictures and I do. These were all taken after the party. I do not have any from before the party when I looked even more like mobster because my hair was wet and I was less tired.

Picture One
Picture Two
Picture Three
Picture Four
Old 09-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #1464
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
You Hakon should call PJ to get enlisted to the possible Shire-scenes of the Hobbit movie!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #1465
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Nogrod has a point, that's some seriously hobbit worthy curl.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #1466
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Really? I don't think so. Maybe back when I had my Jewfro 3 years ago. It was not that big but I had extremely curly hair then. Now I just have a wavy part if I do not do my hair properly. My sisters friend insisted on doing it the way it is in that picture, I prefer to part my hair and comb it neatly. Anyway to sum this up I put about an hour into my hair each day, I am probably the only man in the world to do that.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #1467
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon
Anyway to sum this up I put about an hour into my hair each day, I am probably the only man in the world to do that.
Oh, you'd be surprised.

Well, to people like myself who have very thin, weak and dry hair, any amount of curliness is to be commemorated in due hobbitness respect. So, I tip my hat to your hair.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #1468
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thank you for tipping your hat off to my hair. I am surprised that your hair is not any bit curly since most people I know with thin hair tend to have curly hair after a while.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #1469
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Thank you for tipping your hat off to my hair. I am surprised that your hair is not any bit curly since most people I know with thin hair tend to have curly hair after a while.
Unlike us who are cursed with thick, un curly, un hobbit-like hair...
Old 10-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #1470
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I would rather have straight hair.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #1471
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
When I was really young, my mother used to spend hours before anything 'formal', curling my hair with a hot iron. It never worked, not even with aqua-net.

No coincidence, she has curly hair.
So yes, I'm familiar with the downsides of curly, but I admire it none the less, since I never could pull off an awesome hobbit look to save my skin.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #1472
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Anyway to sum this up I put about an hour into my hair each day, I am probably the only man in the world to do that.
Yes you'd be surprised. I tend to just get it practically shaved all off because I don't like putting effort into my hair, but my roommate goes through a lot to maintain his curly hair.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #1473
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Might take you up on that beer some time because I do know who that dashing young, uhm, man is. Hardly need to spell it out do I?
Aren't they a cute couple?

Quote:
I'm a girl, my hair reaches my lower back, and I brush it every two or three days & never use any kind of hair conditioner. (Now I'm wondering if it's Lommy or Greenie who manages to come in first and say, "And that's why it's in such a horrible condition!") But when it gets crappy enough, I'm just going to shave it off.
Anyway those were good pics, Hakon - you definitely looked like a mobster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I tend to just get it practically shaved all off because I don't like putting effort into my hair
I think you should try long hair some day. It would be interesting.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #1474
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Ah the joys of bad hair... (ahem I style hair for a living) Although I do hair on other people everyday, my hair is always a bit of a mess, I'm letting it grow out and the humidity this year has made it look rather hobbitish some days...
Aganzir...you should use conditioner dear. It's not just for your hair but for your scalp as well, keeps it nice and mosturized and keeps your natural oils in balance. Brushing your hair a little bit can make it shiny, too much can make it oily. (sorry just though since I knew I could spread some hair love)

Anyways I was thinking of posting a few new pictures of myself since I have a few where I'm dressed up at a wedding and goodness knows when I'll get to look that put together for awhile. But alas I can't for the life of me remember how to post them....would someone be a dear and help a gal out?
Old 10-16-2009, 04:51 AM   #1475
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier View Post
Anyways I was thinking of posting a few new pictures of myself since I have a few where I'm dressed up at a wedding and goodness knows when I'll get to look that put together for awhile. But alas I can't for the life of me remember how to post them....would someone be a dear and help a gal out?
E-mail them to Volo who runs the photopage. (His e-mail is the same as the msn handle found on his profile. )

Or if you want to post them on this thread, you can use photobucket if you have an account, or share a link if you have them up somewhere or choose to attach a file (the option is below misc options).
Old 10-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #1476
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

I hope this works This is me at my friends wedding...the handsome guy beside me is my fiancee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1382.JPG (44.8 KB, 422 views)
Old 10-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #1477
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier View Post
I hope this works This is me at my friends wedding...the handsome guy beside me is my fiancee.
It works fine and you both look good (although that kind of flash is never the most flattering light) - actually you look a bit like Milla Jovovich in that picture... ...weird?
Old 10-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #1478
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

I know the lighting on my camera is pretty lame...
Hmm never hear that I look like Mila before, but I'll take that as a complement since she is definitely hot.

I found another pic that I thought looked pretty cool, the background is real, but it looks sooo fake. Not the best shot since this is after many, many drinks actually after viewing this one...there is a better one of the background, without the cars, but we are kissing in it and thought I'd spare you all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1433.JPG (45.6 KB, 370 views)
Old 10-17-2009, 03:43 AM   #1479
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
It works fine and you both look good (although that kind of flash is never the most flattering light) - actually you look a bit like Milla Jovovich in that picture... ...weird?
I was thinking more of Liv Tyler, actually - or, maybe I should add, Liv Tyler when she's looking her prettiest. But I second what Lommy said, otherwise - you both look great!
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #1480
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Here is a picture of me with my new haircut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 291.jpg (100.0 KB, 390 views)