The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-10-2003, 07:39 PM   #1
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye Curses!

The Curse of Isildur is a very interesting subject. Isildur, a mortal man, dooms an entire army of men to walk the world as wraiths for thousands of years.

That particular curse is discussed elsewhere (see link above), but what other examples of curses are found in Middle-Earth or the Undrying Lands? Who was the curser, who were the cursees and how powerful were the effects?
Old 12-10-2003, 07:53 PM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

There is one main curse that I can think of in the Silmarillion:

The Curse of the House of Hurin was one of the most important curses ever "cursed" in Middle-earth. Thanks to that curse (issued by Morgoth) Turin ended up eventually marrying his sister and killing himself.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 07:43 AM   #3
Eol Telemnar
Haunting Spirit

Location: At my house, on my computer (where else would I be?
Eol Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I think the ring is kinda cursed, so, therfore, whoever bears it becomes cursed by the ring. It starts to get heavy, and it allows the eye of sauron to get on top of them. Like Frodo is at this point. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2003, 08:54 AM   #4
Eöl
Animated Skeleton

Eöl has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

In BOLT:2, Mîm, curses the hoard of Glaurung(Glorund) before he dies by the hand of Huor.(his band laughed at this, but he knew better) I don't have the book here atm, but all who posses the gold will be followed by evil and death. There it is said, that some gold or jewels(?) were set in the Nauglamir, and thus leading to the death of thingol.

I think Huor curses it once more when thingol denies it.

as for the ring, i don't really believed it to be cursed, i always considered it a character on itself, which wouldn't allow anyone else except for his righteous master(being sauron)to wield him. So one would be troubled by it, for it yearns for it's master

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:12 AM December 11, 2003: Message edited by: Eöl ]
Old 12-11-2003, 10:51 AM   #5
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

After Mim betrayed Turin, Beleg said something like "The vengeance of the House of Hador will find you yet!"

And it did, of course, when Hurin killed Mim before the doors of Nargothrond.

And I believe that Mim cursed one of Turin's men (was it Angrod? I don't have my book handy). He said something about if he touched a bow and arrow again he would die.

If anyone has their books handy be a pal and give the exact quotes that I'm thinking of (cause I won't be home to look for another 13 hours or so).
Old 12-11-2003, 12:17 PM   #6
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

The name of the Man that Mim cursed was Androg.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:26 PM   #7
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Of course there is the curse of Mandos which is hidered with mystery. I have a million questions about Mandos and his words after the slaying of the elves. Anyone have any links or ressources I could look at?
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 05:09 PM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I recommend the Encyclopedia of Arda website because it has one of the most comprehensive listings about Middle-earth.

The Doom of Mandos, also called the Prophecy of the North, was the dreadful prophecy and curse uttered by Mandos to Fëanor and his followers as they marched to Middle-earth, against the will of the Valar. The prophecy part foretold that the Oath of Fëanor would cause only grief for him and his sons, and for all who came into contact with the Silmarilli. Mandos also cursed the House of Fëanor, calling them the Dispossessed, which meant that they could no longer lay claim to the High Kingship of the Noldor. That title was now given to the eldest of the House of Fingolfin. Even though this curse/prophecy was dreadful and frightening, only one small group of Elves turned back, Finarfin, the youngest son of Finwë, and his followers.

The rest under Fëanor kept on going, but eventually the curse caught up to them, causing the Kinslaying at Alqualondë and a number of other dastardly events.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:18 PM December 11, 2003: Message edited by: Finwe ]
Old 12-11-2003, 07:28 PM   #9
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Tolkien

There is an interesting curse uttered by Túrin, when he mets Mablung in the final stage of the Narn in which he curses Menegroth.
From the Narn
Quote:
"They went out into the wild seeking you," said Mablung. "It was against all counsel; but they would go to Nargothrond, when it was known that you were the Black Sword; and Glaurung came forth, and all their guard were scattered. Morwen none have seen since that day; but Nienor had a spell of dumbness upon her, and fled north into the woods like a wild deer, and was lost." Then to the wonder of the Elves Túrin laughed loud, and shrill. "Is not that a jest?" he cried. "O the fair Nienor! So she ran from Doriath to the Dragon, and from the Dragon unto me. What a sweet grace of fortune! Brown as a berry she was, dark was her hair; small and slim as an Elf-child, none could mistake her!"
Then Mablung was amazed, and he said: "But some mistake is here. Not such was your sister. She was tall, and her eyes were blue, her hair fine gold, the very likeness in woman's form of Húrin her father. You cannot have seen her!"
"Can I not, can I not, Mablung?" cried Túrin. "But why no! For see, I am blind! Did you not know? Blind, blind, groping since childhood in a dark mist of Morgoth! Therefore leave me! Go, go! Go back to Doriath, and may winter shrivel it! A curse upon Menegroth! And a curse on your errand. This only was wanting. Now comes the night!"
Then he fled from them, like the wind, and they were filled with wonder and fear. But Mablung said: "Some strange and dreadful thing has chanced that we know not. Let us follow him and aid him if we may: for now he is fey and witless."
It makes you wonder, did Túrin's curse had any real effect on the Ruin of Doriath? Or was it just his bitterness towards them for the fate of his sister and mother.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:27 AM   #10
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Oooh...old thread...

Quote:
It makes you wonder, did Túrin's curse had any real effect on the Ruin of Doriath? Or was it just his bitterness towards them for the fate of his sister and mother.(Maédhros)
Perhaps both. After all, Túrin was devastated at being the cause of his sister's death, and has this terrible habit of lashing out against those who bring him closer to his Doom - Brandir was a good example.

And the Nauglamir, one of the causes of the ruin of Doriath, was delivered by Húrin from Nargothrond, as "payment" for the "fair keeping" of his son. Túrin killed himself due to Mablung's words. Húrin saw that, and probably was angry at Mablung - and Doriath, for many other reasons aside from this. So he adds this little item to his "Things to do once I escape this place" list:

~ Bring something to reward the king of Doriath for "taking care" of my family. (If it wasn't for him - and his subjecs - all of them would still be alive.)

But another thing I ask here...who effected the curse on Húrin's hîn? children, I mean. All evidences point to Morgoth - through Glaurung - but...
Quote:
[Húrin: ]...you cannot see them, nor govern them from afar, while you [Morgoth] keep this shape, and desire to be a King visible upon Earth.

(UT I 2)

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 07-21-2004 at 02:29 AM. Reason: pronouns...
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:57 AM   #11
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
And what of Eol's curse on his son (twice):
" 'Come, Maeglin son of Eol! Your father commands you. Leave the house of his enemies and the slayers of his kin, or be accursed!' But Maeglin answered nothing.".....

"So you forsake your father and his kin, ill-gotten son! Here shall you fail of all your hopes, and here may you yet die the sdame death as I!"

And how are free will and curses intertwined?
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 09:15 AM   #12
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
And how are free will and curses intertwined?
Ah now, that one's a biggie.

As I recall, there is quite a good discussion of this issue in the context of the curse laid on Hurin and his family here:

Hurin and despair

Edit: I hasten to add that I am not suggesting that discussion of curses in the context of free will should not continue here. I am merely providing the link as it is relevant to the issue raised.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 07-21-2004 at 09:20 AM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote