The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-02-2007, 06:36 AM   #41
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I KNEW I'd miss something very important if I'm going to be two weeks without the 'downs and here it is! Aaaaaaaaah!

But so much congratulations to you both! You're two wondeful people and you make such a lovely pair! Congratulations again, I'm so happy for you!

*dashes off to read a detailed LJ-version*
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:33 PM   #42
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Belated congratulations from me too!! Ganz herzliche Glückwünsche!

I have shamefully neglected the BD (and LJ) of late, so it's only today that I noticed this spectacular news!
Well, if I remember rightly, it was originally me who brought your attention to the BarrowDowns long ago, Macalaure. Who would have thought that this would have such consequences!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:24 PM   #43
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Once more, thank you for all the new congratulations and wishes!

Quote:
Well, if I remember rightly, it was originally me who brought your attention to the BarrowDowns long ago, Macalaure. Who would have thought that this would have such consequences!
Indeed, indeed!

And I cannot say how much I thank you for it now, Guinevere!
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:12 AM   #44
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well done

Let us hope that nothing comes about to ruin your lives.

Thanks, Alien... Thalien.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #45
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
This is almost an epidemic....

I suppose congratulations are in order, though the dour pessimist in me suggests that condolences might be better, but we shall ignore him and go with the congratulations.

Shall we, like Bilbo's party guests, be receiving invitations so magnificent in gold ink that we shall feel like utter boors for being unable to cross the Atlantic for the occasion, or would the possibility of turning the wedding into a 'Downer reunion be a little untoward?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #46
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
The US, turning the state of New York into the new Downs headquarters.
Noooooo turn Alaska into the new Downs Headquarters!!!!!!! cause theres nothing Tolkien related that happens here.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:44 AM   #47
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
P.S. Have a good prosperous marriage together...
Old 08-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #48
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
This is almost an epidemic....
Perhaps an addition should be made to the FAQ/ Forum guidelines that it isn't compulsory for the unattached to choose a fellow downer as a life partner ...they are allowed to look further afield ... or indeed remain single.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:31 AM   #49
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Hmm... wasp-flavoured wedding cake, anyone?

Am I the only one who thinks that sounds delicious? After all, wasps are very bright, and we all know that bright things are pumped full of sugary sweetness... (or poison, but far less often).
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:36 AM   #50
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Perhaps an addition should be made to the FAQ/ Forum guidelines that it isn't compulsory for the unattached to choose a fellow downer as a life partner ...they are allowed to look further afield ... or indeed remain single.
There was a famous (or infamous?) proposal made by one Downer to another in a post here, but I think mostly these things are driven by chat, PM and email. There is, after all, a certain decorum here on the Downs. Chat is so much more personal and even intimate, with its real time feel, and email and PM makes for things off topic, so I'm not sure that such a forum warning belongs in the forum FAQ.

Although possibly SpM could consider adding something to the Werewolf FAQ.

Congrats, folks, and may RT be as fun as VT.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:55 AM   #51
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I wasn't being serious BB... of course I may change my attitude if the forum becomes as full of "smug married" couples as a Bridget Jonesian dinner party ... now if you excuse me there is chardonnay to be drunk and self-help books to be read

Old 08-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #52
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
I think mostly these things are driven by chat, PM and email.
In our case, mostly Skype: modern day God of love, though sometimes just as capricious as the older ones...

I thought I'd just add this: the very first time I interacted with Mac here - in a WW game last October - I distinctly remember saying to myself: "there's just something about this Macalaure...person. I think I could develop a crush on him/her if I'm not careful...let's hope it's an adult male..."
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #53
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
let's hope it's an adult male...

Heh. I'm amused. I'm still waiting for the phantom to tell me he's either old and fat or fifteen and pimplier than normal.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #54
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I wasn't being serious BB... of course I may change my attitude if the forum becomes as full of "smug married" couples as a Bridget Jonesian dinner party ... now if you excuse me there is chardonnay to be drunk and self-help books to be read
Dearie me, I wasn't either Mith. I think WW is still popular enough that its secondary enticements don't need to be acknowledged.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #55
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well as far as the WW games go ....

How about a warning like on cigarette packets :

"Playing werewolf could seriously alter your marital status"

And it could mean a new response to the "Why aren't you married?" question..

:Because underneath my clothes my entire body is covered with a were-wolf's pelt ......

Old 08-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #56
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
In our case, mostly Skype: modern day God of love, though sometimes just as capricious as the older ones...

I thought I'd just add this: the very first time I interacted with Mac here - in a WW game last October - I distinctly remember saying to myself: "there's just something about this Macalaure...person. I think I could develop a crush on him/her if I'm not careful...let's hope it's an adult male..."

And just as, um, "uncontrolled" as discussion boards, emails, chat.

You don't suppose that, when comes the time to plight your troth, as the saying goes, you will be asked to"love, honour and share Barrow Downs passworlds"?
Old 08-14-2007, 10:17 AM   #57
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Well, I doubt very highly anyone's idea of fun is spying on a couple of geeks arguing about which film should be made from the Silmarillion first.

Although I could be wrong.

EDIT: This is regarding the "Uncontrolled Skype", not the passwords...

Last edited by Rikae; 08-26-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:28 AM   #58
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

This is interesting, it could reveal things about our personalities. Rikae is attracted by someone's game play, I am attracted by someone's intimidating knowledge and debating style...What does this say about the things which really do attract women to men?
Old 09-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #59
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry I'm a little late, but I have to give my congragulations! It was fate that determined your meeting, macalure and rikae, not coincidence.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote