The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe One Hobbit Good, Two Hobbits Bad

There's an interesting item on the Grauniad website here: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/film/200..._will_the.html

Now this brings up the real sticking point for me about the films of The Hobbit. That it's 'films', not 'film'.

Despite all the fun I have griping about the films of LotR, I did enjoy them as films. It was enjoyable if nerve wracking to finally see the books 'brought to life' as the cliche goes. Despite all this somewhere at the back of my mind and at the root of the films is the knowledge that they simply would not have existed without the books; they are not divisible from the original stories. The stories are the films.

It will be equally as enjoyable and nerve wracking to see a film of The Hobbit.

But as for this in-betweenie? No. It pushes the whole thing right over the brink from Hollywood into greedy Mammon. The word 'franchise' is used everywhere and rightly. The very concept of making this 'bridge' film is no more than another branch of Tesco, Starbucks or McDonalds in a long line of others. And that takes it right out of the magical world of Tolkien which was so special. Who feels the same?
Old 02-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The fifth film really does smell a bit like it's only going to be made for the sake of money-making, along the lines of "As long as there's some material left that could make a buck or two, we're going to use it." It's a bit sad.

There surely is a decent amount of interesting material for that second film, but how all that is going to form a continuous storyline, with climax and everything, is a mystery to me. Yet worse, almost the entire dialogue would have to be written new by the screenwriters, who didn't do the best job at capturing Tolkien's language when inventing something for the LotR.

If they know a way to manage themselves through these obstacles, then, sure, why not? But I can't imagine they'll be able to. The film might turn out to be passable, but you have to think about how it is going to measure up to the other four films. It seems like even in the best case, the 'franchise' is going to end with a disappointment, especially for those who haven't read the books and don't know that the film-makers are working with source material which is, in all probability, unsuitable for such a film.

In another thread, somebody suggested that the Appendices would make a good 'Animatrix'-type collection of short films. I would very much prefer that.

Last edited by Macalaure; 02-02-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Prudence dictates that it is best to judge the pie after it has been eaten.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
Even if you already know the ingredients?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
Even if you already know the ingredients?
Well, guys, if we use that simile, then consider these threads to be discussions of recipes! A very valid topic, yet reading a recipe cannot substitute for the actual experience of tasting the finished product. Therefore this is a preliminary to the meal - enjoy it for what it is. When we've eaten, we'll come back to discuss how it tasted!

Oh, and check out this thread for further discussion of the second film idea...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Note, this is not about what it may or may not contain, it's about the 'ethics' of making such a film, about if it's a good idea or not.

For me, it's not a film I'm looking forwards to seeing at all. Unlike The Hobbit (even if it does turn out to feature a Greek chorus of eructating Dwarves) which I will certainly go and see.

It's odd. I lapped up the merchandise produced for the LotR films, even the dodgy content of books like Weapons & Warfare was something I could skim over just for the sheer fun of it all. It was all based on characters I loved, in situations I'd read about, in places I quite fancied visiting. An adventure. But I'm quite the opposite about the 'bridge' film. It feels like treading on Tolkien's grave somehow.

There isn't that sense of seeing a much-loved story brought to life.

Do we want to see Tolkien's stories on screen or just see more of Legolas and Galadriel like they're soap characters?

I'd be interested to know if anything similar has worked?
Old 02-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Many beloved and great films have been made from a great deal less than the material contained in the LOTR appendicies. ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE was adapted from a holiday greeting card.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
In another thread, somebody suggested that the Appendices would make a good 'Animatrix'-type collection of short films. I would very much prefer that.
Seconded. Now that could be seriously cool. (Although I found the "Animatrix" to be uneven.)
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The silmarillion (including chunks from BoLT, UT and HoME) would be amazing. Especially the ones that don't include the Ainur (As that would spoil it a bit), welll, maybe Beren and Luthien (But except that , no AInur)
Old 02-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

So, Boro, don't fancy sitting through three hours of Bilbo hiding from his neighbours with the tense point being the death of Frodo's parents? Nor me. The Star Wars analogy is spot on.

What really troubles me is that the reader needs absolutely NO extra information than what Tolkien gave us in both The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings - he was saying "Move along, nothing to see here" and it worked. What's more, Jackson pulled off something very, very difficult in getting the 'prologue' scenes in Lord of the Rings to work, to convey all the information even the most casual viewer might need.

There's just nothing to add in there and that's what rankles.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
So, Boro, don't fancy sitting through three hours of Bilbo hiding from his neighbours with the tense point being the death of Frodo's parents? Nor me. The Star Wars analogy is spot on.
I do not think that focus has a snowballs chance of being the second movie.
Sauron, Dol Goldur, and the Council throwing him out of Mirkwood is what I would put my money on. That is far more interesting than Bilbo doing just about anything you can think of.