The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2007, 11:33 AM   #1
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
The Hobbit : Dream Cast

Disclaimer: I know there's probably been a thread about this sometime in the distant past, but I thought that since the movie has only recently been confirmed, we should start over.

Okay, who do you think should play the various characters in the Hobbit?My humble opinions:

Bilbo : Sir Ian Holm(for the sake of consistency; let them use the de-aging process that was used in X-Men 3 to make Magneto and Professor Xavier younger; otherwise they can have a Beowulf-esque CGI Ian Holm)

Gandalf: Sir Ian McKellen(No Question)

Thorin Oakenshield: Liam Neeson(A mature, middle-aged actor, but not yet in the 'wrinkled old men' league.

Thranduil: Jason Isaac(that arrogant sneer is befitting of the Elvenking)

Elrond: Hugo Weaving

For the White Council Scenes:

Galadriel: Cate Blanchett

Radagast: Michael Gambon

These are my thoughts for now. I'll post more names later. Any suggestions?
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
My two cents - I would love to see some sense of continuity with these two films and the three LOTR films. That would mean having McKellen back as Gandalf and Serkis doing Gollum. Those two are definites. If there are roles in the second bridge film for people like Aragorn, Arwen, Legolas or others I would like to see the same actors. I did not like Hugo Weaving in the first films but mostly because I think his delivery of lines is extremely wooden and he acts in a style that seems more at home in a Cecil B. DeMille biblical epic. If that can be toned down I would favor giving him a shot for the sense of continuity.

Now to Ian Holm --- sorry but he is just too aged for Bilbo. They need somebody else who looks at les three decades younger and is physically capable of a more athletic performance with all Bilbo does in the films.

Okay - now this may anger some who like to play the casting game but that is as far as I want to go. I get extremely bored by all the wild speculation that so and so should play so and so. "Gee, wouldn't W.C. Fields be great as the Big Wahoo?"

Actors are just so much eye candy who are trained to read lines and deliver a performance that is prodded by a director wielding various treats and threats. I expect them to be professional, to be competent and to be good. If they are not, I expect the director to send them packing ala Stuart Townsend and then recast the role properly - ala Viggo Mortensen.

So speculate away but I have faith and confidence in the team putting this together and will not waste my time worrying about if the Harlem Globetrotters can really play all the Dwarves.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
zxcvbn
Wight

STW, you have a point, but us poor fans need something to tide us over while we wait for news of the film's development. What can we do but speculate idly?

Here's more:

Balin: Bill Nighy

Saruman: Sir Christopher Lee(If he's still alive, and they'd better shoot his scenes first)
Old 12-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

zxcvbn... my apologies for looking like I am trying to rain on your parade ... and I do not mean to do that. There are exercises like this going on all over the boards that discuss Tolkien or film related topics. It is a favorite pasttime and certainly gives people something neat to do.

I wonder if you went back to the pre-LOTR casting days and read the posts in such a thread on something like torn or torc , what would you find. How many people do you think would have picked Viggo Mortensen for Aragorn? How many picked Ian McKellen for Gandalf? I wish I had a dollar for all the Sean Connery suggestions then I could buy a new car.

But have fun and maybe somebody will come up with a real gem beyond the obvious. Maybe you will even convice me
Old 12-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
Quempel
Haunting Spirit

Quempel has just left Hobbiton.
As long as Jack Black doens't get cast as Bilbo.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quempel View Post
As long as Jack Black doesn't get cast as Bilbo.
Hey I think Jack Black's funny. But yes, not as Bilbo!

OK - if not Ian Holm as Bilbo (and note, the guy is not all that old [how rude!]) then I think Martin Freeman has the right tone and can do the little Englishman to a tee. Of course, Ian McK as Gandalf and Andy Serkis as Gollum. Etc.

Some more choices for my Dream Cast:
David Tennant voicing Smaug, Ray Winstone as Beorn, Johnny Depp for Thranduil (why not? ), Richard Armitage as Bard, Gordon Kennedy (currently in Robin Hood) or Philip Glenister (yes, Gene Hunt) as Thorin. For the rest of the Dwarves, an assortment of interesting faces older and younger as appropriate - which could include Jack Black if he could drop his Hollywood accent! Though he'd probably be far too expensive of course and I suspect Jackson would do some scouring of British telly for ideas again.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #7
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rude? Rude? Since when is giving a factual bit of information considered rude. You may want to not that Mr. Holm was born in 1931 making him 76 as of now and he will be 78 when they need him for filming. Plus the man has had some admitted health problems over the last couple of years.

Rude? Sorry. Let me be polite. Ian Holm is only 45 and in great health and has the same genetic make-up that Dick Clark did. Oh yeah, there is this painting in his attic....
Old 12-23-2007, 11:01 PM   #8
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I don't think it would be too far out of line to suggest John Rhys-Davies as Gimli's dad Gloin, eh? On a slightly creepier note, what if they used Orlando Bloom as Legolas' dad Thranduil, too?
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #9
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
Rude? Rude? Since when is giving a factual bit of information considered rude. You may want to not that Mr. Holm was born in 1931 making him 76 as of now and he will be 78 when they need him for filming. Plus the man has had some admitted health problems over the last couple of years.

Rude? Sorry. Let me be polite. Ian Holm is only 45 and in great health and has the same genetic make-up that Dick Clark did. Oh yeah, there is this painting in his attic....
Yes but my own dad is 74 and that's not so old at all! He hates being counted as "an old man", even if he is.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lalwende ... no offense intended towards your father. At 74 he is in the prime of life compared to where people used to be fifty years ago. My remarks were geared for the standard applied to actors where age is not always considered an asset. Pity the poor actress who is considered over the hill and washed up once she hits forty.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #11
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm not sure which specific roles I would assign, but the cast should definitely include

Arnold Swarzenegger
Kevin Sorbo
Hulk Hogan
"The Rock"
Andre the Giant (so what if he's dead?)
Brian Bosworth
Chuck Norris
Jet Li
Jackie Chan
Possibly Bruce Willis- except sometimes he can almost, not quite, act.

And most definitely as Thorin: Martin Lawrence.
With Paris Hilton as the Elvenqueen. Or Pamela Anderson.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #12
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

from WCH

Quote:
Possibly Bruce Willis- except sometimes he can almost, not quite, act.
Ahhhh - I see someone has been dipping a bit early into the Christmas cheer and it has made them exceptionally happy!!!
Old 12-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #13
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyta_Underhill View Post
I don't think it would be too far out of line to suggest John Rhys-Davies as Gimli's dad Gloin, eh? On a slightly creepier note, what if they used Orlando Bloom as Legolas' dad Thranduil, too?
Ha! That would be very hilarious, but I think that a lot of people wouldn't like that very much!
Old 12-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #14
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hey, I'm not unopposed to Willis.

How about this cast, then?

Bruce Willis
Sam Jackson
John Travolta
Ving Rhames
Uma Thurman
Amanda Plummer
Tim Roth
Harvey Keitel

Working title:

Kill Bilbo, Vols. I & II.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #15
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Uma Thurman is one one actor who would force me NOT to see a Middle-earth film.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #16
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Lalwende ... no offense intended towards your father. At 74 he is in the prime of life compared to where people used to be fifty years ago. My remarks were geared for the standard applied to actors where age is not always considered an asset. Pity the poor actress who is considered over the hill and washed up once she hits forty.
Well Christopher Lee is now 85 and still going strong (and long may he continue - he reads Children of Hurin for the audiobook).

Age is only a concern to actresses really, who are chosen more for looks than talent unless they have the luck to be Judi Dench (who I hasten to add, is not bad for her age in looks too ). For actors, age doesn't matter.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:57 PM   #17
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hickli View Post
Hey, I'm not unopposed to Willis.

How about this cast, then?

Bruce Willis
Sam Jackson
John Travolta
Ving Rhames
Uma Thurman
Amanda Plummer
Tim Roth
Harvey Keitel

Working title:

Kill Bilbo, Vols. I & II.
Incidentally, Philip Pullman's choice to play Lee Scoresby in The Golden Compass was Samuel L Jackson. That would have been fab. So long as there were no snake Daemons in his balloon or it might have got a X cert - "Get these **** snakes off this **** balloon"

Old 12-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #18
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yes --- but when an actor would be asked to play someone three decades younger - and that is in human terms - and do a physically strenuous role like Bilbo walking all across the wilds and mountains - then that rules Mr. Holm out.

Lee would be fine- much more than fine actually, and God willing he can be with us to do it again with the White Council scenes that have been rumored.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:33 PM   #19
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I have given a lot of thought to this ever since I saw the Lord of the Rings Films, having recently read The Hobbit... My first thought was of the Dwarves. A few of them were amusing and a few of them were serous considerations of who could play the rolls...

Thorin: Brian Blessed (Come on! You know he'd be perfect!)

Some other dwarves could be played by...
Dwalin: Tony Robinson (Played like Baldric from Blackadder, obviously)
Balin: Bill Baily (The musical scenes would be so much funnier)
Bombur: Collin Baker (Because he's FAT)
Bifur: Tom Baker (Because he is ACE)
Dori: David Mitchell (Why not?)
Kili: Julian Barrat (One part of the double act)
Fili: Noel Fielding (the other part of the double act from The Mighty Boosh)

Dáin Ironfoot: Billy Connolly (with a banjo)

Beorn: Oliver Reed (after seeing him in Baron Munchausen, I thought he'd be good for the roll)

Bard the Bowman: Christopher Eccleston (Because he SHOULD be northern)

Smaug: Vic Reeves (Of course)

Thranduil: Rowan Atkinson (No idea why, the concept just amuses me)

Drunken Elf: Dylan Moran (Obvious, really)

Not entirely plausible. But it would be a darn fine film!

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 12-27-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #20
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:

Ian Hom is not too old to be cast as Bilbo. The Ring kept his appearance relatively unchanged, so that the Bilbo we see in The Fellowship of the Ring is essentially the same in appearance as the Bilbo of The Hobbit.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #21
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I would probably cast Brian Blessed as Beorn. Anyway, Oliver Reed is dead.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #22
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Anyway, Oliver Reed is dead.
Ah, is he? I didn't know.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:29 PM   #23
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Ian Hom is not too old to be cast as Bilbo. The Ring kept his appearance relatively unchanged, so that the Bilbo we see in The Fellowship of the Ring is essentially the same in appearance as the Bilbo of The Hobbit.
Ian Holm looked and was great in Bilbo in all but a single scene - the one where he was much younger, is in the mountains and discovers the Ring. Sadly, that is the role for the entire HOBBIT movie. Holm looked badly made up in that scene. I cannot imagine a 77 year old man who has had serious health problems over the last few years performing a physically taxing role that the HOBBIT would require of him.

And Brian Blessed gets my vote for Beorn. The man is also a bit older but in great shape and is a mountain climber. Tremendous actor who could really get his teeth into that role ... sorry but I could not resist.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:39 PM   #24
Quempel
Haunting Spirit

Quempel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post

Thranduil: Rowan Atkinson (No idea why, the concept just amuses me)
Mr. Bean does Thranduil.
This is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time.

My vote for Thranduil would be Daniel Day-Lewis.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:48 PM   #25
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by STW
How many picked Ian McKellen for Gandalf?
Actually, back in the day, my two top picks for Gandalf were Christopher Lloyd and Tom Baker...but I was hooted out of the board by the Connery faction.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:06 AM   #26
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I've been giving this some thought, though apparantly not as much as some...however, provided that the principals from the LOTR movies are used as appropriate (Weaving/Elrond, McKellan/Gandalf, etc.), I offer these ideas as conversation-fodder, as most of them have not yet come up:

Mayor of Lake Town - David Bradley (Filch from the HP movies)
Thranduil - Marc Warren (or Johnny Depp, if you've got the budget)
Fili and Kili - For some reason James and Oliver Phelps (Fred and George Weasley) keep popping into my head -- properly made up, of course.
Voice of Smaug - Ian McDiarmid
Voice of the raven Roac, son of Carc - Gilbert Gottfried
Bard - James Purefoy
Thorin - Dadgummit, I can't get the voice of Hans Conried (from the Rankin-Bass version) out of my head.
Bombur - Mark Addy (Roland from A Knight's Tale)
Beorn - Timothy Spall
Old 12-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #27
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quempel View Post
Mr. Bean does Thranduil.
This is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time.
That would be hilarious, my sister owns that show on DVD and he is really funny, but let us not kill the skwirelz by my mindless banter.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:14 PM   #28
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Alan Rickman would make a believable Thranduil with some make-up (forget the HP films and just look at the man himself). Sadly Clint Eastwood is a bit too old now. Ten years ago he would have been one to consider!

Robbie Coltrane could be a bit too baby-faced & nice to be a fit Beorn but he might make one of the dwarwes... not Thorin or Dwalin perhaps but one of the others Jackson & team will bring forwards from the rest.

Daniel Craig could make a good Bard the Bowman - just imagine him a full beard with your mind's eye and you get it...

I do agree with Hookbill: Brian Blessed would be perfect as Thorin! Or you could possibly make him Beorn as well...

Kenneth Branagh as Bilbo? Mature enough but not too old...

Last edited by Nogrod; 12-28-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #29
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

The list I put together is of slightly lesser known actors, that hopefully wouldn't blow the entire casting budget. Of them, James Purefoy, who played Edward Prince of Wales in A Knight's Tale makes a perfect picture in my mind of Bard, especially when I envision him running through the flaming Lake-Town amid the chaos of the Dragon attack:
Quote:
Then Bard drew his bow-string to his ear. The dragon was circling back, flying low, and as he came the moon rose above the eastern shore and silvered his great wings.
"Arrow!" said the bowman. "Black arrow! I have saved you to the last. You have never failed me and always I have recovered you. I had you from my father and he from of old. If ever you came from the forges of the true king under the Mountain, go now and speed well!"
I get shivers thiking of that scene -- they'd better do it up right.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #30
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenamir View Post
The list I put together is of slightly lesser known actors, that hopefully wouldn't blow the entire casting budget.
You have the right attitude here. I hope they could hire these people whom the general public doesn't know yet from blockbusters or soft-drink advertising... Like Andy Serkis who was picked from something like total anonymity... only because of his talent. That's the way it should go.

Sadly few of us Finns have any idea about the lesser known actors in England or the States...

---

I just saw Jean Reno in TV. He would make a nice mayor of the Lake Town...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:52 PM   #31
Hammerhand
Haunting Spirit

Hammerhand has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Hammerhand
I think Sean Connery as Thorin would be the ultimate...

...also, i think Joachin Phoenix with the right make-up would be a fantastic Thranduil.

Someone mentioned Liam Neeson earlier in the thread; i think he would be a very fitting Balin, Bifur or Bofur.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #32
zxcvbn
Wight

Say, how about Russel Crowe as Bard the Bowman?!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #33
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Crowe as Bard would almost, almost be sufficient grounds for me to boycott the movie altogether.

Cary Elwes as Thranduil -- ditto.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #34
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Crowe as Bard would almost, almost be sufficient grounds for me to boycott the movie altogether.

Cary Elwes as Thranduil -- ditto.
And me. He was fabulous in Master & Commander (can watch that film over and over, but then I loves me tall ships...) but I don't think I can forgive him for the atrocity he is about to commit with Nottingham which casts Robin as a baddie and the Sheriff as a goodie. Some things, you just do NOT mess with!

Anyway, some inspired ideas from Thenamir and Hookbill both here! James Purefoy is another great actor who's emerged lately. And some inspired choices from character actors and comedians: Mark Addy (also from The Full Monty), Timothy Spall, Bill Bailey, Tony Robinson, Vic Reeves...How about a couple of the guys from The League of Gentlemen too? Mark Gatiss? But please, NOT Matt Lucas or his mate!

I've now got a yen to see a cast of dwarves made up of our finest comic and character actors...I can imagine them all sparking off one another and making for some great viewing. I saw Hot Fuzz the other night and one of the great things about it was seeing a cast of well known actors and comedians in small roles making the whole thing work as a team - if they did this for the dwarves it would be fantastic.

I fear though we'll see cast of unknowns and unpopular actors - can you see all these dream stars being prepared to disappear to t'other side of the world for a year, to play a small part? I certainly can't! I reckon trawling the cast lists of some of our (and Australia and New Zealand's) cheesier cop dramas and soaps and so forth would bring up your likely cast
Old 01-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #35
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

Gee, what about Ricky Gervais as Bilbo?

And Thorin- well, try thinking Bob Hoskins in a beard....actually works, doesn't it?
Old 01-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #36
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

With the exception of Thorin, I would much rather see seasoned professionals from the stage or indy film work as opposed to big name stars looking for a payday.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #37
Lord Halsar
Haunting Spirit

Location: 'Round the corner, down the well, passed the Balrog, straight to HELL!
Lord Halsar has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

Quote:
Voice of the raven Roac, son of Carc - Gilbert Gottfried

Ahahahahahahahaha! Are you serious? His voice on another bird (be it animated or CGI, I don't care which!) would take all of the seriousness out of it for me! Everyone coming out of the theater would be saying, "A movie with a talking bird I can stand, but another one where HE does the voice is just wierd..."
Old 01-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #38
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Who's been watching too much Pirates of the Caribbean ...?

I have been lurking here for a while, but the time has come to reveal my hand. I have shamelessly borrowed some of the ideas previously put forward, where they appeal to me. So, here it is, my dream cast:

Director: Terry Gilliam

He would be my first choice, though he would be unlikely to get it as he is not the most popular director in Hollywood. I love his films, and I think that he would get the right mix of fantasy, whimsy and darkness. I see a film of The Hobbit as being similar in tone to the likes of Baron Munchhausen and The Brothers Grimm. If not him, then Tim Burton might well provide the right touch. Jackson, while I am a fan of his, would be too unsubtle and has too much of a tendency to the epic for this project (as director, that is).

Bilbo Baggins: Martin Freeman

Ian Holm always will be THE Bilbo for me, as for many others. But, with the best will in the world, I can’t see him being cast, nor particularly wanting to do it, now. Lal has, however, suggested an ideal substitute. Martin Freeman is an excellent character actor and excels at these ‘everyman’ characters. Bilbo is, in many ways, quite similar to Arthur Dent. A quintessentially English bachelor drawn somewhat reluctantly into an adventure and rather bemused by it all.

Gandalf: Ian McKellen

Unlike Holm, McKellen is both capable and willing to reprise his role. There simply is no other choice.

Thorin Oakenshield: Geoffrey Rush

The role of Thorin requires a strong character, but not a heartthrob. Geoffrey Rush would be capable of combining majesty and prickly stubbornness in the right measures, while still making him a sympathetic to audiences (if he can make an Elizabethan spymaster with a nice sideline in torture sympathetic, then he can do the same with Thorin).

As for the remaining Dwarves, I fear that their number may be cut back in the film version, to save time and make it easier for the audience to pick up quickly who is who. I have assumed, however, that we must cast the full complement.

Balin: Bill Nighy
Dwalin: Stellan Skarsgard

Of the Dwarves, the role of Balin would probably be the most important, other than Thorin himself, and so merits a major actor. Bill Nighy fits the bill for me as the kindly but serious Balin. I have liked Stellan Skarsgard in most things that I have seen him in and he comes across as a natural Dwarf. With make-up, he could look sufficiently similar to Bill Nighy to play his brother.

Dori: Jeremy Renner
Nori: Ray Stevenson
Ori: Michael Klesic

Other than Fili and Kili, I see these three as the youngest of the Dwarves, so the actors should be younger than the likes of Rush and Nighy. I picked three actors who I have seen recently, who aren’t ‘big names’, who look relatively Dwarfish and who could be made up to look quite similar. I am not sold on them though.

Oin: Kevin McNally
Gloin: John Rhys-Davies

I like the idea of John Rhys-Davies playing Gimli’s father. With a sufficiently different make-up job, the family resemblance could be caught, without him being identical. Kevin McNally is another refugee from the Pirates series who I can see making a good Dwarf (it’s the ‘craggy-faced’ look I’m going for, when casting my Dwarves).

Fili: Oliver Phelps
Kili: James Phelps

Hmm, I am not sure that Fili and Kili are identified as twins in the book, but I like the idea. Thena suggested the Phelps twins, so I have gone with that as I couldn’t find any other suitable actors who are twins. OK, they are not ‘craggy-faced’, but Fili and Kili need to look younger than the others, to my mind. I wonder, however, whether they are sufficiently strong actors. Fili and Kili have to make an impression for their deaths in the Battle of Five Armies to be moving enough. I should imagine that there are other good, relatively young actors who could be made to look sufficiently similar, so remain open to suggestions.

Bifur: Bill Bailey
Bofur: Gordon Kennedy
Bombur: Robbie Coltrane

I like Lal’s idea, inspired by Hookbill, to have comedy Dwarves. But to have comedians play all of them would be too much. I see these three as the comic relief (ideally cleverer and less unsubtle than Jackson’s variety), particularly given the scrapes that Bombur gets himself into. So, three comedians to play these three roles. Bill Bailey is a natural Dwarf and Robbie Coltrane is the right - er - dimension. Kennedy, who started in comedy shows, feels right too.

William Huggins: Richard Ridings
Bert: Mackenzie Crook
Tom: Lee Arenberg

What is it with the Pirates series, that its actors keep popping up in my ideal cast? Arenberg is Crook’s sidekick in the Pirates films and Ridings his sidekick in The Brother Grimm. All three specialise in grotesque characters, although some CGI enhancement might be necessary to turn them into Trolls. Comedy Trolls? Well, I think that the chapter is rather funny, if darkly so. These three would be perfect.

Elrond: Hugo Weaving

I am not entirely sold on Weaving. I thought him rather too grumpy in Jackson’s trilogy, and he needs to be even lighter in this film. But, if he can manage that while not playing the character completely differently, I could live with him for the sake of continuity.

Goblin King: Timothy Spall

Another actor who can play grotesque characters well. Perhaps too small a role for him, but he could make a great cameo out of it.

Gollum: Andy Serkis

Who else?

Beorn: Ray Winstone

Brian Blessed looks the part, but I am not sure that he is ‘serious’ enough for the role. Ray Winstone would bring out well the ‘geezer’ bear inside the man.

Thranduil: David Tennant
Galion the Butler: Dylan Moran

I like the idea of casting David Tennant, and think this role would suit him best. To my mind, he would capture the right combination of lightness and gravity, and he looks Elvish to me. Hookbill’s suggestion of Dylan Moran for the drunken butler was an inspired one. That could provide another great comic interlude.

Bard: Daniel Craig
Master of Laketown: Jonathan Pryce

Although he doesn’t come into it until the latter half, Bard is the ‘hero’ role and requires a heroic actor. Daniel Craig was the first name that came to mind, although I can also see Clive Owen or James Purefoy in the role. The common quality is that none are ‘pretty boys’ in the Orlando Bloom mould, but can give the role the brooding, dignified power it requires. Jonathan Pryce has always been my pick for the Master of Lake Town (although a younger Pryce would also have made a great Bilbo). He has the corrupt dignitary role down to pat in films such as Baron Munchhausen and The Brothers Grimm.

Smaug (voice of): Alan Rickman

With Jeremy Irons as my second choice. Both can get across the sheer, malign intelligence and arrogance that drips from Smaug’s words.

Dain Ironfoot: Brendan Gleeson

Another natural Dwarf and, since the other Dwarfish roles were taken, I have put him here.

Note, I have gone with the cast as it is in the book. If I had my way, there would be no young Aragorn, no Legolas and no Arwen. They simply do not feature enough in the story to make it worth including them without a major (and unwelcome) rewrite. I would not object to the inclusion of the White Council’s attack on Dol Guldur, if the story itself is to span two films, but the roles of Saruman and Galadriel would not be an issue, provided that Christopher Lee and Cate Blanchett were prepared to reprise their roles.

Indeed, Cate Blanchett might be essential, to provide at least one strong female role. I would not be happy with a rewrite to provide a love interest for Bilbo. A female Bard? Perish the thought!

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 01-02-2008 at 07:34 PM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #39
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

Quote:
Beorn: Ray Winstone

Brian Blessed looks the part, but I am not sure that he is ‘serious’ enough
You missed Blessed's star turn as Exeter in Henry V? Grim, intimidating, and horrendously strong. (When, on the verge of Agincourt, his squire hands up his weapon and it's a mace, not a sword, one can only think "Of course!")
Old 01-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #40
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Brian Blessed would be terrific as either Thorin or Beorn. After thinking about it, I would much rather see him as Thorin due to the much larger part and he can really do some serious acting - providing the Dwarves will be allowed to be serious and not buffoons.