The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
New Middle Earth novel(ization)?

After Children of Hurin, many people are hankering for 'The Tale of Beren and Luthien' and 'the Fall of Gondollin' to be published but that won't be possible since they weren't finished to the same extent. However, there is still hope for a new Tolkien novel to satisfy their cravings?

What I'm asking is, how about a novelization of the unnamed second LOTR prequel, which covers the period between the Hobbit and LOTR? Provided it's written by a good author it should be an interesting read. Would anybody here buy such a book?
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
I would be dead set against such a thing. To do a novelized version of a movie which is adapted from the books themselves seems akin to literary incest. It does not pass the smell test.

It would be like doing a novelized version of the LOTR films with all the changes and have two competing LOTR book versions. There should only be one set of books and those are the ones written by JRR Tolkien or authorized by the Tolkien Estate.

I am a big advocate for keeping the books and films as individual entities. Lets keep it that way.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
I wouldn't buy it, I'd get it from the library.

But seriously, why not, I don't have anything the imagination of others. It feels unfair if a best-selling book is based heavily on something written by somebody else, but aren't most books that anyway.

I would regard such books as "Tolkien" because they're not, but at the moment I can't find a reason why I wouldn't touch them. If they're written, they might be worth reading.

Somehow this reminds me of Gone With the Wind's sequel, though I have read neither the original nor the sequel.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

See, the only problem I would have with this is that it smells distinctly of fanfic. That's not to say that I don't enjoy fanfic every once in a while: oh no, quite the contrary. But reading yaoi CharlesxSydney or an account of how Jay Gatsby really didn't get shot is a LOT different than reading A Tale of Two Cities or The Great Gatsby. Fanfic is not really very respectable, and it is always, always, always different than the author's original work.
Ahem. Anyway, that's my English-major view on it. While I might enjoy reading it for fun, it would never really be Tolkien, and therefore I just wouldn't see it as part of the Middlearth narrative.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbn View Post
What I'm asking is, how about a novelization of the unnamed second LOTR prequel, which covers the period between the Hobbit and LOTR? Provided it's written by a good author it should be an interesting read. Would anybody here buy such a book?
I wouldn't buy that book, to be honest, though I could probably be persuaded to go see the movie.

I don't mind fanfic once in a while, if it's good and genuinely has something to say about the characters or their environment, but I wouldn't want to pay money for it. I don't even think I'd get it out of the library. When fanfic is put up online, imperfection is acceptable, since it's clearly just for fun, anyway--no one is making any money from it. I feel like there's something a little bit not right about this second movie idea. I'll probably go see it (depending, of course, on buzz and the trailer), but I wouldn't feel quite right reading a novelization of it. Middle-earth is Tolkien's. Best to leave it to the writer who knew it best.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
No way. I hate fanfics. Whatever is not written by J.R.R. Tolkien is not Middle-earth. Period.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM
Whatever is not written by J.R.R. Tolkien is not Middle-earth. Period.
Organized and footnoted by his son: okay.
Actually written by someone else: not okay.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
I am not suggesting that this novel be included in the 'official' canon. It can be a companion piece to the second prequel and a 'gap-filler' for those who want to know more about Middle-earth and don't mind that the book is only loosely based on the established LOTR book-verse(through the films). Think of it as something like Weapons and Warfare(a movie-based book about the peoples of ME and their weapons and armour), which was written from the point of view of Gondorian historians to give it a Middle-earth-ish feel.

Last edited by zxcvbn; 02-14-2008 at 08:59 AM.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #9
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Of course, legally it can't happen, so it ain't gonna.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:02 AM   #10
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Quote:
legally it can't happen
Why not?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #11
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Because the movie rights do not extend to books and printed matter. The Tolkien family owns those.