The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #641
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Folwren, I hope you realise that we're all now expecting your picture to be a masterpiece to rival the Sistine Chapel II.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #642
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
*snort* Don't be ridiculous. I hope YOU realize I have no possible way to do this by hand - which, I'll say, I could do a decent job doing - and therefore have no other choice but to do it on the computer - which, I will say, I am HORRIBLE at. So, I'll do my best, with what little time I have.

EDIT: What I meant to say when I got onto this thread was, I'll work on it this afternoon once I've cleared up all my other business and, if nothing else comes up, I will have it to Lommy this evening. Cross your fingers, though don't hold your breath.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #643
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
*snort* Don't be ridiculous. I hope YOU realize I have no possible way to do this by hand - which, I'll say, I could do a decent job doing - and therefore have no other choice but to do it on the computer - which, I will say, I am HORRIBLE at. So, I'll do my best, with what little time I have.
Don't worry. Sometimes the most hastily cobbled together pictures produced the best results further down the line.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #644
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There! I did it! *Gasp*pant*gasp* I sent it to Lommy just a moment ago. My deepest apologies that it came so late - you people would not believe how busy I've become.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #645
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The Eye

I will be away from tomorrow evening to Sunday evening, so unfortunately we will have a few days' pause then (unless someone can think of a solution) but it shouldn't be a problem as I guess I won't be the only one busy with having a holiday...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 AM   #646
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I've sent my picture in. Had to do it quick because I knew I'd be away for most of today, but I think it's okay.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:20 AM   #647
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
When do you guys expect this round to be done with?

Everytime I check this thread I hope that there will be drawings and wonderfull oneliners for me to look at, but I am constantly disapointet.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:40 AM   #648
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
When do you guys expect this round to be done with?

Everytime I check this thread I hope that there will be drawings and wonderfull oneliners for me to look at, but I am constantly disapointet.
Seriously, no idea. If it took everyone three days to do their job, it would take as much as a month or so. But writers are often far faster than that, drawers are sometimes slower. So my guess would be three weeks, a little less if we're swift. (And more, if we're slow. )

Now, I just got Hookbill's picture and Agan promised to respond before I (and she herself, for that matter) leave today, so I can send her sentence to Beregond today and he will have the remains of this week to draw. This is going quite smoothly now...
Old 03-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #649
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
I've sent my picture in. Had to do it quick because I knew I'd be away for most of today, but I think it's okay.
That is not fair. Simply not, not, not fair.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #650
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I guess I have a few days to work on mine. It'll take me that long, what with the sentence I was dealt.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #651
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I actually almost forgot about this but just realised that I'll be soon in line... fortunately just a sentence so it won't take long...
Old 03-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #652
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Nogrod must be writing a novel!

I REALLY want to see what turned the sentence I sent into the sentence I received... I also wonder what is going to happen next...

Since we're getting close to the end o' this Paper Telephone, I think I'll say I'll mod the next one, unless someone else fancies it. Just remember to clear your diary for the next month or so.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #653
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Palantir-Green

Quote:
Nogrod must be writing a novel!
He did write one, but I told him to cut it down (it was almost twice as long as the previous longest sentence the writer of which I told his sentence is almost too long ) so that's what's taking time...
Old 03-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #654
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I think that, in the future, we should think of the writing more in terms of a caption than a long description. Rather than telling us what the picture looks like, instead let us know what 'should' be going on. Give us a sense of the general concept; lengthy descriptions rarely turn up the weird and wonderful we all love.

If nothing else, we should probably put a two sentence limit on Nogrod.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #655
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
I think that, in the future, we should think of the writing more in terms of a caption than a long description.
I agree. The sentences tend to get longer and longer, and a short caption giving the writer's take on the picture, rather than a description, gives more of a "twist" anyway.
*vows to write no more than twelve words when her turn comes*
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #656
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I actually think it ruins the fun of drawing when you get a very detailed description, the fun lies in getting a sentance which has more than one interpretation.

Personally I love the challenge of finding just the right words for the caption. . . it all adds to the fun.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:36 AM   #657
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Uh-oh!

It's not that I'm writing a novel but that I had totally forgotten it after Lommy asked me to edit it.

I'm sending a shorter caption in a few minutes so that we get the ball rolling again.

Sorry. My bad.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:14 AM   #658
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Nogrod - it's alright.

And to those who are worried by the funniness of the pt because the descriptions are too long - I assure you that although some descriptions have been long this round and no one has yet written a sentence shorter than the original one, it has been utter and non-restrcited madness this far...
Old 04-10-2008, 08:11 AM   #659
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Ooh! We're already up to Volo, I notice!

Anyone wish to sign up for the next game while we wait for this one to come in?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #660
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Sure. . .it has beena while.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #661
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Yes, count me in... but if there's someone who has no played for a while and the list is becoming too long, you can take me out...
Old 04-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #662
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
You can count me in as well. If we're not doing doubles, I prefer drawing.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #663
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm in too, this is too fun to pass up.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #664
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I'm in, obviously. This is a lot of fun.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #665
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Okay, the NEXT game (when this one finishes) will begin something like this...

(Me)
Rune Son of Bjarne
Thinlómien
Aganzir
Beregond
Nogrod
Beef
Old 04-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #666
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Hey, hey, wait, what's happening? I would like to sign up too, sir, don't leave me out, sir! (Unless, of course, there is not enough place and someone who had not participated for a long time, or ever, would like to join this time...)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #667
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
*waves* I would like to join in the next as well if there's room, unless I get a three-part novel to illustrate on this go.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:49 PM   #668
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Considering the current round, I've asked Volo to try to make his illustration today. (He was traveling early this week so he did not understandably have time or chance to do his pic and I doubt he's going to get anything done this weekend as Brinniel is coming to Helsinki...) So I hope he has time and manages to do it now for otherwise this will take ages (again)... But now you know why it might take time.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:48 AM   #669
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
I'm currently working on it.

Please add me to the next game.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:56 AM   #670
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Once Lommy's game is over, I'll probably begin this one right away, I have a perfect sentence.

Rune Son of Bjarne
Thinlómien
Aganzir
Beregond
Nogrod
Legate of Amon Lanc
Oddwen
Volo
The Elf-warrior
Kitanna
Eönwë

Any more?

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 04-14-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #671
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
Thumbs up

Count me in. If it is just one round, I'd prefer to write.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:01 AM   #672
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I would like to join. Though I'd also prefer to write, mainly because I have no way of drawing at the moment (hopefully that is changing soon).
Old 04-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #673
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Can I join? Pleeeeaaaase? (I don't mind whether I write or draw*)

edit:*Or do both

Last edited by Eönwë; 04-14-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:33 AM   #674
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Well, my sentence is 15 words (and only because I invented a word, too) - but I think that it's better than the 12 word version.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #675
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Well, my sentence is 15 words (and only because I invented a word, too) - but I think that it's better than the 12 word version.
But Rikae, it's perfect! I was beginning to be afraid that this will start to be the same all the time but you saved it! Only four people to go anymore...
Old 04-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #676
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'll go along as well, sign me up for another one...
It seems that eons have passed since the game started... when did it start btw?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #677
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
It seems that eons have passed since the game started... when did it start btw?
The most recent game or the thread?

The most recent game began at the end of January (28th to be precise). The thread was started in June of last year.

Rune Son of Bjarne
Thinlómien
Aganzir
Beregond
Nogrod
Legate of Amon Lanc
Oddwen
Volo
The Elf-warrior
Kitanna
Eönwë
The Might
Finduilas

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 04-15-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #678
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hookbill, are we going to do doubles? I'd actually prefer not this time - there seem to be quite many players, and then it would take ages again.

Unless everybody else wants it, of course...
Old 04-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #679
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I'm going to make the next game slightly different... So, if we're not doing doubles, I want as many players as possible!

Basically, descriptions are going to be limited to ONE SENTENCE, pictures MUST include more than two colours, time limits will be put on again and NO biting.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #680
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
As long as your not doing doubles I would like to play, and write. If that doesn't work, then count me out. Don't let that stop you from doing doubles though. It wouldn't kill me, or even majorely disappoint me, if I didn't play.