The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2002, 10:33 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril *TTT - Éowyn (Miranda Otto)*

How did you like Éowyn and the way she was played by the actress?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 04:55 PM   #2
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

Eowyn was my biggest fear when facing the film version of the Two Towers. Everyone was yapping and moaning about the frickin "love triangle" and all that - folks, CHILL. Miranda Otto was I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E! She was the physical and mental interpretation I had of Eowyn - strong willed, fierce, emotionally compelling and reluctant to watch the men go to war. She was awesome. <BR> The acting in this film (as with Fellowship) was like nothing I've ever seen. Everyone, EVERYONE put on the most amazing performance.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:41 PM   #3
thorondil
Haunting Spirit

thorondil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think Miranda Otto's acting was excellent, and she is more beautiful than I thought from the mere glimpses I had before. Even if Aragorn didn't forget about Arwen-- I did!<P>I liked the parts with her and Aragorn alot. The part were she is swinging her sword and Aragorn parries, and when Aragorn asks her what her greatest fear is. Also her emotion when she thinks Aragorn has fallen, and the look that passes between her and Theoden. All excellent!
Old 12-18-2002, 10:41 PM   #4
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yes Eowyn was awesome, she did a great job, it was almost exactly like I had pictured her, I just think they should have had alittle more of her in the movie, cuz there is a little more of her in the book.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:46 PM   #5
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eowyn was a perfect visual match for me. Her acting was great, loved her!
Old 12-18-2002, 11:00 PM   #6
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

Miranda Otto was, to me, more endearing than Liv Tyler. This obviously isn't fair, since Tyler barely had any role in this one at all. Still, a few times during the film I did forget that she is bound for Faramir, Mr. Hotter-Than-All-Elves-and-Men-Combined, and that's when I couldn't help but wonder how on earth Aragorn ever withstood her. <BR>Otto is a wonderful embodiment of a Rohan shieldmaiden, and I can't think of a single criticism at this point (though I know a few folk here who are likely to nitpick ).
Old 12-18-2002, 11:04 PM   #7
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shield

Éowyn is another redemption point for this movie. And, stop the presses, people...I was not an Éowyn fan the first time I read the book. She improved on subsequent readings, but I was a little scared that the movie would remind of why I initially didn't like her.<P>No fears. I love her. Now Faramir better get his act together if he's going to entertain thoughts of being worthy of her. Pain! That was a painful sentance. Faramir, bless him, is a wonderful guy. That dude in the movie wasn't Faramir....
Old 12-18-2002, 11:05 PM   #8
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Lush, <P>I agree. No nitpicking here. She was a pleasant surprise, both in terms of how PJ conceived of Eowyn and how Otto handled the role. Her scenes with Aragorn were realistic and believable, even the one with the sword.<P>Now, I just hope Faramir can improve to the point in RotK that he deserves a great babe like this! <P>sharon<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-18-2002, 11:05 PM   #9
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked her a lot too - one of the things in TTT that came through really well. Just to bad we didn't get to see her fight in this one! Have to wait for RotK I guess
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 05:56 AM   #10
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Did anyone see a love triangle in this film?Amazing how people can be lied to like that.<P>Anyway, Otto was really good. I thought Eowyn was going to made all "I am woman, hear my voice" but she was very well done.<P>I am pleased!
Old 12-19-2002, 03:16 PM   #11
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My greatest fear was that she'd look like a hussie trying to steal Aragorn. She admires him, she loves him, but her fate lies elsewhere. Notice that she embraces Aragorn at the end like a brother, and not like she's trying to snatch Arwen's pendant. I liked her scene with Grima. It made me cringe and grit my teeth, but in a good way. Go Eowyn! I can't wait to see her in RotK!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Faramir, Mr. Hotter-Than-All-Elves-and-Men-Combined <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> That nice face needs a character to match it for RotK.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 09:13 PM   #12
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boy Gwaihir I know why you started your own thread, this was at least 4 pages back...<BR>anyway Eowyn does a decent enough job , and in my opinion she does waaaay better than Arwen who in my book just does not cut it. <P>Eowyn, the one time we see her w/ a sword pulls a quick move on Aragorn. We will probably see her get 'steely after aragorn takes off on the path's of the dead [ w/ Arwen?] but I predict that she will have enough grit to smite the Lord of Morgul aand his winged beastie.<P>I would have prefered a blonde with no freckles, but...<p>[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 10:51 PM   #13
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I would have prefered a blonde with no freckles, but...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yet another matter of taste.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:10 AM   #14
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

actually on that one lush do we not read that Eowyn's skin was white ?<P>as opposed tp speckled or dotted or...
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 09:04 AM   #15
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

Miranda Otto was excellent in the movie! She potrayed Éowyn REALLY well and i thought the love traingle whould be really bad but it didn't turn out to be the 'stealing-her-man' type of scene~.<BR>She was really good!
Old 12-29-2002, 05:07 AM   #16
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Just one little thing I noticed when I saw TTT again yesterday: Grima to Eowyn: "so fair and yet so cold". Lush?
Old 12-29-2002, 11:39 AM   #17
PippinSqueak
Pile O'Bones

PippinSqueak has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I loved Miranda Otto as Eowyn! She played the role perfectly! She acted brave and valliant, but didn't act egotistical about her sword-fighting abilities.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:32 PM   #18
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

I think Mirando Otto is perfect for the role. She is a wonderful actress and is something like i imagined Eowyn to look like!!!
Old 12-30-2002, 02:02 AM   #19
Lush
Fair and Cold

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>actually on that one lush do we not read that Eowyn's skin was white ?<P>as opposed tp speckled or dotted or... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, but just because someone is described as having "white" skin doesn't mean that they do <I>not</I> have freckles. It means that they're pale. Which Miranda Otto was.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Just one little thing I noticed when I saw TTT again yesterday: Grima to Eowyn: "so fair and yet so cold". Lush? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, the movie quotation is almost the same as the description of Aragorn's first impression of Eowyn in the book, and yes, that's where my personal title comes from. I resemble Miss Otto a little bit, as a matter of fact (but I don't have freckles; I hope that makes you happy, lindil). Naturally, I was overjoyed when I heard she was to play Eowyn. She has not disappointed.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:20 AM   #20
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
I loved Eowyn in the movie, she was great! I thought Miranda Otto did a wonderful job. I did not feel it was a love triangle at all (Except for that one part with the sword, but that just showed how good she is with it). I liked it so much that I am going to be Eowyn for Halloween . She has always been my favorite of the few females in LOTR.<p>[ December 30, 2002: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 12-31-2002, 02:42 PM   #21
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that Miranda is a great actor. The balance between being somewhat of a tomboy and being a very beutiful princess type of thing was just perfect! The way she cared for Theodin was great.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:59 PM   #22
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Why on earth didn't I absolutely love the book-Eowyn?! What was wrong with me? <BR>Fortunately TTT has opened my eyes to the fact that she is a truly wonderful character. Yes, Arwen and Galadriel are beutiful and good and all that, but in her we have a <I>real</I> woman with <I>real</I> problems. My thanks to Miranda Otto, for making me see that.<P>"A cage..." <BR>My God. I felt like she was talking about me, too. I am so glad that she will breake the bars of her own one, maybe I will have hope in doing that too.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I resemble Miss Otto a little bit <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Lucky you! <p>[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: Nenya ]
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 07:24 PM   #23
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

She was excellent, really excellent; I'll join in the chorus here saying that they found the book Eowyn a little hard to relate to at first (though she grew on me on rereading, especially during the time in my life when I found myself in a situation quite similar to hers). But Miranda Otto played her very well, she wasn't made into a sticky saint - you can see that she's developing a bit of feeling for Aragorn - but she was very human and believable, and courageous. <P>Also - I liked that she looked like someone who really could have grown up in Meduseld; that is, not ortho-perfect and with perfect plastic-surgery Hollywood features. Plastic-surgery prettiness has its place, but not in someone who's supposed to have grown up in fairly rustic conditions (even the Golden Hall wasn't exactly Byzantine in its luxury) and who doesn't have an hour a day to make up and do her hair. Clearly Eowyn didn't have that, she was just naturally very pretty.
Old 01-01-2003, 04:26 AM   #24
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

I love strong women (the guys in my family are kinda lazy, even I am) and I loved Eowyn. I just wanted to see her fight soo bad! :\
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 02:28 AM   #25
Eowyn:Lady of Rohan
Pile O'Bones

Eowyn:Lady of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I really thought Miranda Otto was wonderful playing the part of Eowyn. Otto brought Eowyn to life with her natural look, and the graveness, as well as the beauty. Otto looked beautiful, but cold like the book Eowyn. I like the fact that Eowyn is human. When she's upset, you can see it in Otto. Eowyn is my type of character, because she's beautiful, but at the same time she is tough, and I feel tough like her when need to be. The fact that I liked the book Eowyn has made me appreciate the movie's version of Eowyn. I can't wait for ROTK, just to see her become manly and tough. I feel that 'realness' with her than Arwen. And it grieved me to see Aragorn with Arwen when he should have been with Eowyn in the first place. Tolkein put this love triangle for a reason. It was actually that in the book Aragorn fell in love with Eowyn, and she loved him, but he was destined to be King, and she was destined to become Stewardess. Eowyn is definitely my favorite LOTR woman. I'm glad Peter Jackson chose Miranda Otto for Eowyn. She rocks!<p>[ November 14, 2003: Message edited by: Eowyn:Lady of Rohan ]
Old 11-14-2003, 12:08 PM   #26
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Shield

I think they had a bit too much interaction between her and Aragorn that wasn't in the books, but that wasn't Miranda's fault. As for her performence, I think it was wonderful! She was exactly as I imagined Éowyn. She did an excellant job with it!
Old 11-14-2003, 03:55 PM   #27
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that Miranda Otto's performance of Eowyn in the Two Towers was awesome. It was absolutely amazing. It was so inspiring and moving that it almost made me cry. Not the almost part. This is what cinema supposed to do, move you.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:30 AM   #28
Alexus Varus
Pile O'Bones

Alexus Varus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have nothing but the highest praise for Miranda Otto, she is one of hte greatest actresses ive ever seen. I cant exactly remember whether she went to N.I.D.A or not like Cate Blanchett but all the same she is really great. And nice too. But i think its very low of everyone here who has problems with her freckles.. really you cant notice them!
Old 11-24-2003, 01:40 PM   #29
deedlit

Sting

Otto is really gorgeous in the movie, wow! what a woman.<P>Liv is more 'pretty' but does not have the air Otto has..<P>Otto wins hands down <P>Otto=woman<BR>Liv=slut<P>If you ask me.. Faramir has the better deal
Old 11-24-2003, 05:44 PM   #30
Sindae
Haunting Spirit

Sindae has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

awesome. awesome, awesome, awesome. i love her really, she's a great actress, and you really believe her when she looks at aragorn with that incredebly despaired expression...one of the best actors and actresses in the whole movie if you ask me.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:16 PM   #31
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Absolutely magnificent!!!! Even Viggo Mortensen admitted that Miranda Otto's Eowyn was probably more "right" for Aragorn than Arwen was. I loved Eowyn's character from the very beginning of reading The Two Towers, just because I can relate to her so well, especially with the cage metaphor. My biggest fear of the movie version was that they would turn the relationship between Eowyn and Aragorn into one of those Hollywood-type love triangles. But, then again, we probably haven't given PJ the credit that he deserves. I love the way that they put in a couple of lines from the book when Eowyn "complains" to Aragorn that she's been sent to babysit in the caves, in the EE. I think Aragorn genuinely loved Eowyn, but he knew that deep down inside, she loved the promise of glory that he gave her, not him as a person. I'm not saying that she didn't love him at all, but that that love was overlaid with a desire to be free. I really think that Miranda deserved a Best Supporting Actress award, because she is absolutely brilliant!!!! Go Miranda!!!! <P><BR>(BTW, I also love how she says in an interview, "I defy any woman to watch this film and not fall in love with him (Viggo)." So true!!!!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 03:14 AM   #32
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>but he knew that deep down inside, she loved the promise of glory that he gave her, not him as a person.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>(nb: I haven't seen the TT EE and don't know if that adresses my problem) I don't think this was shown well in the film at all. Yes, you get the feeling that she doesn't really love Aragorn as a person, but the sense of seeking glory isn't really there. There's no portrayal, explicit or implicit, of her thinking, 'oh for crying out loud, why do I have to be a princess among a bunch of smelly horse people?' (massive paraphrase on my part ) and I think it detracts from her character. She fears a cage, but doesn't seek freedom. The only reason I can think it would be removed is because to 'modern' audiences it seems strange that a chick (especially one with a strong personality, like Eowyn) would seek glory through marriage.<P>Of course, we don't know yet what happens in the Houses of Healing (if anything) in the RotK EE, so maybe she or Faramir says something about it. I hope so.
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 08:12 PM   #33
Armetiel
Haunting Spirit

Armetiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>actually on that one lush do we not read that Eowyn's skin was white ?<BR>as opposed tp speckled or dotted or... <BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I also have Very pale skin, almost white, and freckles...however my hair's more Arwen's colour <P>but yeh, I still thought of her skin as white, even with freckles
Old 01-26-2004, 05:04 AM   #34
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think Aragorn genuinely loved Eowyn,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Really? <BR>I think he understood her, saw her worth and valued her. He also recognised her feelings for him and pitied her. But love? <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Few other griefs amid the ill chances of this world have more bitterness<BR>and shame for a man’s heart than to behold the love of a lady so fair and brave<BR><I>that cannot be returned </I>. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>(The words are Aragorn's, the italics mine)
Old 01-26-2004, 09:51 AM   #35
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Miranda Otto (Trivia Fact: One of the two Australians in the film) was probably a very good choice for Eowyn. She also evolved as a personality in Return of the King. Even though she's slightly flat as an actress, she very aptly played the shield-maiden of Rohan. She had that strength of will and character, that proud but willing demeanor, and that wonderfully defiant attitude that makes her character so great. Despite the slight cliche of the "I am woman, hear me roar" thing, she was definately more than suitable for the role.<P>The one thing that I despair about, relating to Eowyn's character, is the obvious absence of the Houses of Healing in RotK. When I saw the movie with a bunch of friends, I had to often explain things to those of them who hadn't read the book. They were all immensely irritated that Eowyn didn't get Aragorn at the end and were only mildly comforted when I told them about Eowyn and Faramir. If the Houses of Healing had been in there (and not the reforging of Narsil) it would have satisfied many more viewers as to the fate of Eowyn. This, of course, is no fault of Miranda Otto, who did wonderfully.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:29 PM   #36
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Silmaril

A moving and inspiring performance.<P>While watching her, I really believed that Miranda was Eowyn. <P>I hope to see her in more movies for years to come. <P>hhmmm...Does anyone know if she's been put up for an award for her terrific acting?
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:43 PM   #37
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Lalaith, there are many different kinds of love. When I say that Aragorn loved Eowyn, I don't mean that he wanted to marry her. He loved her in the way that you would love a younger sister or a comrade-in-arms. She, on the other hand, was infatuated with him and the glory and honor that he represented. Infatuations are never something you want to base a relationship on, let alone marriage. <P>I don't blame Miranda at all for some of the slight changes made to Eowyn's character, many of them due to time constraints. She is a truly beautiful actress who gave it her all. Just as Sean Astin is Sam, and Viggo Mortensen is Aragorn, Mirando Otto will forevermore be Eowyn. She just brought the character to life for me, and since Eowyn is my favorite female idol, it means a lot.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 05:01 PM   #38
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> She is a truly beautiful actress who gave it her all. Just as Sean Astin is Sam, and Viggo Mortensen is Aragorn, Mirando Otto will forevermore be Eowyn. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I can agree wholeheartedly about Miranda as Éowyn, and even Sean as Sam, but unfortunatly Viggo didn't quite fulfill my vision of Aragorn, Yes he did a good job, and i can put fault on the writers of the screenplay for some, but for some reason he still wouldn't quite do it for me. I do raise my glass to Sean Bean, who really brought the character of Boromir to life! I will also give credit to Benard Hill in bringing Theoden to life, though I disagreed totally with the way he was 'exorcised' in TTT, but again I blame the writers and PJ's interpretation.<P>Bottom line... These are the finest in characterization of the book characters<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Sean Bean - Boromir<LI>Miranda Otto - Éowyn<LI>Sean Astin - Samwise</UL>
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 05:20 PM   #39
corwyn celesil

Shield

I greatly enjoyed Eowyn in the movies . . . but! But she wasn't really, in my opinion, the Eowyn of the books. That Eowyn was cold and fair, like a pale spring that has not yet come to womanhood (quote), stern and hard, and when Merry sees her cry once, it seems all the more terrible to him that such a stern and cold woman should cry. Miranda Otto herself admitted that she felt like she was crying all the time in the movies. I think that Eowyn as Miranda played her was a visualization of the unseen inner life of Tolkien's character. She was rather Spockish: feeling much but hiding most of it. Miranda's Eowyn hid nothing. Also, most of Miranda's Eowyn's inner struggle, as it were, was centered around her love/infatuation for Aragorn, while with the book Eowyn, that was only part of her problem. The whole point of Gandalf's words about her in the Houses of Healing (which Grima says in the movie) <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But who knows what she spoke in the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all hre life seemed shrinking, and the walls of her bower closing in about her, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>were to illustrate that Grima's spell had fallen quite as much on her as on Theoden: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Think you that Wormtongue had poison only for Theoden's ears? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> and that had nothing to do with Aragorn. <BR>Do not think that I am disparaging Miranda Otto's playing of the character. I think she was magnificent, and though I was highly annoyed by Eowyn unconsciously trying to shove in on the woman Aragorn loved, I liked the movie character. (She gave me some great ideas for a story I am writing and which I will soon post on the Barrow-downs fan fiction site.) It was just not wholly consistent with the book character, probably to make her more appealing to the average viewer.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:23 PM   #40
corwyn celesil

Silmaril

(Incidentally, the story will probably be posted under another pen name, if you're interested! Its title will be something like "Springless Autumn, Chill of Winter.")