Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #1041
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ok well I am going to try to do Tathren's pyre for Lachers now - Library computer willing.... 30 minute doses is not conducive. However fingers crossed I should mangage though I shall probably have to tidy a little tomorrow. Some how I never seem to pick up all errors on the same day I type .

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 11-19-2008, 07:31 AM   #1042
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
OK I will post the actual pyre tomorrow as I have a farewell dinner tonight (unexpectedly moved from Fri). I had thought that I would have set the pyre at nightfall but now I wonder if Iwill have the lad work through the night and contribute to Foleys fiery dawn....

Old 11-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #1043
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hi, ya'll. Our time is ticking away, and I'd like to see this game wrapped up nicely before Pio closes it. Gwathagor, are you still around?

I may post in the next day or so. I'm not sure what my schedule looks like, and right now, I am sick. So, I'll write when I can.

-- Foley
Old 12-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #1044
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sorry for the delay - my dad is in hospital so I have been there rather than cyber cafe / library can't write properly standing up at shared use computer at lunchtime. Should be able to get my save filled tomorrow one way or another.

A

Old 12-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #1045
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Sorry for the delay - my dad is in hospital so I have been there rather than cyber cafe / library can't write properly standing up at shared use computer at lunchtime. Should be able to get my save filled tomorrow one way or another.

A
That's alright, Mith. I hope your dad does alright and gets better soon.

I will probably wait until you fill your save before I post.

-- Foley
Old 12-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #1046
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
That's alright, Mith. I hope your dad does alright and gets better soon.

I will probably wait until you fill your save before I post.

-- Foley
well I will try to do it now since he won't be discharged til tomorrow (his test yesterday came back clear so we are waiting for the consultant's say so - I imagine if they want to do more tests it will be as an outpatient ... so I have an hour before visiting.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #1047
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Save filled. I will proof read next time I have the chance (maybe tomorrow or Monday)

Is anyone else going to need Tathren other than Gwathy for the showdown with Caranthir... ? If so let me know since my time online is likely to be limited but I will make this top priority. Maybe it will be over by Christmas....

Old 12-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #1048
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay. Well, I've sent Tathren on his way and Uldor's off to find Jord. Gwathagor, I figure you can write about that. You know what Uldor has to say and it will be interesting to see Jord's point of view.

What needs to be done:
Uldor needs to tell Jord his decision.
Caranthir and Tathren must have their meeting and discussion (I don't know what you all are planning for that, so surprise me)
And then everyone must write their epilogues.

This look good? Can we get it done in a week? Pio actually gave us until the 14th of this month. I don't know if she told anyone else that, but I think that's what I remember being in the PM she sent. I'm almost possitive (though I could be wrong) that with the end thus in sight, we'll give us a grace week or two. (She's given us a grace month or six or seven or twelve, if you think about it. )

-- Folwren
Old 12-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #1049
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Post up. I'm very busy this week, but I'll post again if I can.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:19 PM   #1050
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Say, Mithalwen - I guess you and I ought to hammer out the concluding conversation between Tathren and Caranthir. Unless you want to do it PM-style, I'll just wait until you get Tathren back to Caranthir and then I can respond. Either way works for me, though.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #1051
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alrighty! I'm going to see if I can rally the players of this game together for the last gasp and finish it off.

Gwath and Mith, I sent you both a PM...

Once you write the Caranthir and Tathren meeting, everyone can begin getting their Epilogues on.

I thought we might want to collaborate here on this thread to figure out who's all going to be posting a last post and what you plan to include. Should we stop before marching to war, or should we go all the way into battle and there some of us find our ends? I know that Ulwarth and Uldor both died in battle, so I could finish my character's off entirely if we so decided.

I think Anguirel's initial plan was to just take them to the edge of war. If that is all we end up doing, I could conceivably make the last post of the game with Uldor leading his troops off towards the battle.

Or we could not plan anything in particular and just get the posts up as we can manage.

I'd like to know who's still planning on writing something so that we don't end things prematurely.

-- Folwren
Old 01-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #1052
Noinkling
Wight

Noinkling has just left Hobbiton.
Quick question - how long has it been since the day of the hunt???

I'll do a quick wrap-up of what's been happening for Dag's family (with pio's kind permission :-) ) and then she'll do the epilog.

Thanks to you players for bringing this round to a good conclusion!!!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #1053
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I believe that this is just the day after the hunt. Things really came to a fast culmination.

The wrapping up of your story does not have to be done in a short time span. I don't think that Uldor is going to be leading his people off in two days. It'll be some time, so if whatever you're planning on happening needs more time than just one day, then take whatever time you need. (Game time, not RL time, if that makes sense.)
Old 01-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #1054
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Credit in great part to Foley who has held it together despite everything.

Gwathy, I have got Tathren more or less home. I literally ran out of time before I could get him through the gates - well I did but it was one of those posts that took a disproportioante amount of time because it got better the more I edited out and the exchange with the sentinels was consequently too weak. I should be around more than usual for the next few days so if you want to discuss the interview either here or on PM that should work. I don't mind if you want to pick Tathren up from where he is now or if you want me to make a post that gets him to his audience with Caranthir... poor lad is a bag of nerves and I don't expect you to be gentle with him.

Once that is over I will do a final post for him but the nature of it will depend on where we draw the line.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #1055
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Terrific! I'll try to post for Caranthir this week.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #1056
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

There! How's that? I hope I didn't take too many liberties with Tathren.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #1057
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Do we now just need to write epilogues for our characters? Or are there a few things to wrap up first?
Old 01-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #1058
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I have nothing to wrap up for my characters, beside the epilogue. Pio and Noinkling? What about you two?

That was a great post, Gwathagor! I really enjoyed it. Caranthir's haughtiness to Tathren almost made me feel not as guilty about my character's evil treachery.

-- Folwren
Old 01-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #1059
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Straight to epilogue will be fine for me.

Noinkling - I'll wait until you've filled your save.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #1060
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
There! How's that? I hope I didn't take too many liberties with Tathren.
Wow.... that wasn't what I expected but I never realised the lad could muster so much spirit. I think you have changed his fate... but I really like it.

Thank you!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #1061
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Wow.... that wasn't what I expected but I never realised the lad could muster so much spirit. I think you have changed his fate... but I really like it.
Oh? What had you expected to happen? (I'm glad you like it.)
Old 01-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #1062
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh I don''t quite know - I suppose I thought he would be a more complete lamb to the slaughter rather than mentally giving Caranthir err the Agincourt salut . I really like it and it works ... and I loved the quote from Lachrandir. Really wonderful ... the boy is feistier than his "mother" realised. I may have to let him live

Old 01-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #1063
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Has there been a decision about where we are cutting off? I dont have a strong preference but if I know I can probably finish Tathren off (so to speak) quite quickly now that Gwathagor has illuminated his path...

Old 01-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #1064
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I think we're cutting off as people ride off to battle. I'm thinking my post will end with the troops, having emassed, leaving the settlement and heading off to war.

-- Folwren
Old 01-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #1065
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

That sounds great!

I'm not sure what to do with Jord yet. Maybe I should see if Durelin had anything particular in mind for her character.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #1066
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I posted my final post.

If anyone else wants to write a last post, please try to get it onboard as soon as possible.

-- Folwren
Old 03-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #1067
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Great!
Old 03-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #1068
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Gah sorry I have it drafted but keep procrastinating - def up tomorrow... sorry

Old 03-28-2009, 02:38 PM   #1069
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Question

I've closed the RPG thread in preparation for moving it to Elvenhome. Has everyone finished with it to their satisfaction?

Noinkling and I have decided not to write an epilog for our characters, but leave it as is.

~*~ Pio
Old 03-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #1070
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

If I came up with an epilogue for Jord quite soon, would you be able to add it on?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #1071
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Thumbs up

If you post it here, I'd be glad to tack it on.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #1072
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

If not too late may this be tacked too?

Loyalty is a strange thing. Some inspire it, and hold it through the bonds of admiration and affection. Others command it through ties of blood or duty. To treat it as a commodity to be purchased is a dangerous policy. Such allegiance may be transferred to the highest bidder and commerce is an activity of the rational mind which is liable to rate self interest above that of the paymaster. The ties of the heart are less easily severed.

Tathren knew that Lachrandir had been utterly loyal to Caranthir but his death had earned only his lord’s disdain. He remembered his father whose loyalty to his brother had led him to exile and slaughter. He would have followed Lachrandir even to the doors of Angband but his loyalty to the House of Feanor had died with his master So he did not protest or even murmur when Midsummer neared and Caranthir had forbidden those not yet of full years and stature from the ranks of his army. What in another leader might have seemed an act of compassion seemed a sneer on the lips of the Feanorian. If, as seemed to Tathren, Caranthir scanned his face for a sign of dissent, he found it not. The boy deemed merely by living he could in a small way spite the great lord

He remembered with foreboding the words of Mandos that had coursed through his mind as he had knelt beside his master, sensing they neared fulfilment. His kindred would reap a harvest of grief but the seeds had been sown long ago on a distant shore. He knew he might find death without going to war, that the doom of the Noldor could not be eluded forever - but this was not his time. Not yet

--------------------------------------------

DONE ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 04-26-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #1073
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Gwathagor

Did you still want to do an epilog for Jord?

~*~ Pio
Old 04-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #1074
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Just to avoid any improbable misunderstandings.

Embla and Fastarr walked away from the story quite nicely and need no epilogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me in #255
They walked away from the vicinity of the Ulfing town that morning after a generous breakfast and disappeared into the woods never to be seen or heard again around that part of the Middle-Earth.

Whatever happened to them is not told in this story.
Unless Lalaith has second thoughts on it of course...
Old 04-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #1075
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel View Post
Gwathagor

Did you still want to do an epilog for Jord?

~*~ Pio
I'm sorry; yes, I do, and I'll try to do it soon.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #1076
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

And where does the power come from, to see the race to its end? From within.

Before this thread is closed, I would like to congratulate those who kept this RPG going despite everything and allowed it finally to reach harbour - a remarkable feat of endurance against the odds. And I would heartily apologise for being part of the problems rather than the solutions. I found this one incredibly difficult so thank you for letting me back to finish if not complete Tathren's story .

Old 04-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #1077
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I had no idea people were posting on this thread! I've been far too busy and haven't been keeping up as I should.

I've had a lot of fun writing in this game. Really. Uldor was a fascinating character to write. Plus, I had excellent fellow-players.

Mith, great final post. I would rep you, but it informs me that I can not until I spread more reputation around. Just goes to show how little I acknowledge people's good posts.
Hey, is that line, "And where does the power come from, to see the race to its end? From within." from Chariots of Fire?

Gwath, still looking forward to seeing yours!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #1078
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Yeah yeah yeah. I'll do it, I'll do it.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #1079
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Hey, is that line, "And where does the power come from, to see the race to its end? From within." from Chariots of Fire?
You are allowed ot do other stuff apart from the downs you know! Sometimes ....

Oh I'll considered myself repped THough I dun deserve it... I must admit that I have been a bit slack since the system changed but that is in large part due to technical problems - often the windows won't open

Yes, I havent seen that great film for years but it is seemingly quite memorable since a suprising amount of dialogue has stuck in my brain. Iwas very disappointed to discover that the opening scenre which is set in a town I lived for a while was actually filmed somewhere else ..

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-30-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #1080
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

~ Finis ~

To Elvenhome