User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2003, 06:17 PM   #441
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Okay, everybody, let's take a deep breath and move this puppy forward! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Here's where we are now:

Kaldir is on his way back to his camp where Gilly & Benia are held.

Barrold Ferney has just re-entered Bree by the west gate.

Toby Longholes is outside Bree's west gate, having avoided being caught by Kaldir.

Naiore is holed up somewhere on Bree Hill.

Amandur & Lespheria are searching northern Bree for signs of Naiore's wherabouts.

Rauthain, Maethor, Dulrain, & Avanill are at the Prancing Pony.

Vanwe is in Barrold's cellar/basement.

Here's what needs to happen next:

1) Barrold needs to collect Vanwe & bring her to where Naiore waits. On the way, he will encounter Avanill, who has left the inn.

2) Dulrain catches Toby Longholes & takes him back to the Prancing Pony, where he is interrogated by the Rangers. They learn about Ferney's house at that time.

3) At dawn (or sometime therafter) the Rangers search the now deserted house.

4) Barrold & Avanill raid Tallas' supplies.

5) Somehow the Rangers find out about the raid. Suspecting Naiore, they go to investigate.

6) Naiore & company depart from Bree in the direction of Rivendell, as Naiore learns through Avanill that Menecin is in Rivendell.

7) Rauthain, Maethor, & Dulrain go after the trail of Barrold Ferney, et al, while Amandur & Lespheria try to find Tallas, with the intent of rejoining the others later.

8) Kaldir having returned to his camp & organized his group, takes off with Gilly & Benia on Naiore's trail, having found it at one of the places that Barrold has used in the past to hide fugitives.

9) The Rangers discover that someone is ahead of them on the trail. They can assume it would be Kaldir since they know he is in the area & interested in catching Naiore.

10) THEY ALL LEAVE BREE.

Unless anyone has any SERIOUS objections, I think that is how we should proceed. Please, everyone, let's try to work together & quit quibbling so much over details, eh? This is a team project here. Let's try to open it up a bit & give everyone a little room to run!
Old 10-08-2003, 06:28 PM   #442
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If that's the final word, that's fine by me.

I will wait on posting anything for a few hours yet.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 10-08-2003, 06:56 PM   #443
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

ok, I have just deleted what I was going to suggest, but it was pretty much the same as what Ealasaide has just posted [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

just one edit Amandur and Léspheria are searching the south side of town [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Also Lésperia has seen Kaldir and his prisoners in this Rpg and already suspects him of hunting Naiore and Vanwe!

Anyway great job Ealasaide that plan sounds good to me [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2003, 07:03 PM   #444
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My post was offered as helpful criticism to make this game better. I am not trying to control Vanwe (I never claimed I was, and I don't want to); I am not trying to control this game. I offered my opinion: this is what I thought a Discussion Thread was for. I highly resent the sarcastic comments that you wrote, Elora, as you were twisting my words and putting your own in my mouth. I was merely pointing out inconsistancies. I am not an idiot, and unfortunately I said some things that were exaggerated to make a point. Of course I know that Vanwe has abilities -- everybody has abilities: that is a given. I never said you should kill Vanwe. I never implied that she should be killed. I am well aquainted with the story of this game and with Vanwe because I took three days to read The Green Dragon Inn Part 4, starting on page two, and I read until I entered Green Dragon Inn Part 5 and Gilly disappeared.

I know that elves don't "read" people in the sense you think I mean. What you think I mean is a form of telepathy: that's Star Trek. This is Middle-earth. You took what I meant too literally.

When I wrote my post, I took what I knew about Vanwe and tried to nicely and politely point out where I thought she was acting contrary to her character. That was all this was about. I did not intend for this to become an attack on your character. This was supposed to be positive and helpful criticism. Now I'm being flamed for it.

To me, being conscious means being awake, which it seems Vanwe was in her last post. Hence my misunderstanding. I guess we have different definitions on being "conscious."

I did not mean permanent escape. I suggested that she could run into her mother, Barrold, or Avanill. That doesn't sound like escape to me. Sounds more like out of the frying pan and into the fire.

What do you think I am? We are all "authors" here to a story. An author knows what's going to happen. I was talking about from a reader's perspective, which I mentioned in my post.

This is not my game. I never claimed it was. I was making suggestions, I was trying to approach a problem from a different angle. Whatever you guys decided to do was fine by me. I just thought I'd add my opinions first and let the game owners make the final decision. I was trying to make it so that everybody could be kept in character, and at the same time pointing out things that didn't make much sense. When I write, I have somebody read my stories to see if there are any inconsitancies or to see if something is not clear. If they have a problem, I fix it. That was all I was doing with Vanwe. However, you are clearly upset with my post. I was trying to be friendly and positive. I did not mean to attack your character. You were free to disregard my suggestions, but instead you have decided to flame me for them. That is fine. If you want me to resign, you can have Naiore murder Maethor.

There is a saying that says that truth hurts. That goes for criticism as well.

Old 10-08-2003, 07:06 PM   #445
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

While it’s nice to have a game plan for your RPG, it is more of a guideline than a fiat. When you subscribe to an outline too closely, it becomes as if you are backfilling in the story with your posts. You are writing your characters, in other words, to conform to the storyline, and not letting the storyline develop in a natural way from the way each player plays their character.

Sometimes it is fun to throw a twist into the game and let the other players react to it, without discussing all the ins and outs of it.

For example:

Vanwe is weak and tied up. And in a location where the Rangers could find her if they looked thoroughly. Why can’t one of them ‘find’ her? Can you effect a rescue of sorts and let Naiore and her Henchmen react to the rescue in a way which is in character for Naiore and her baddies. The rangers probably can’t take Vanwe far – since she is in a weakened state. Let Naiore have the opportunity to snatch her back.

This would spice the game up – all the writers would write independently in a sense. Someone would take the lead for the rangers and start it off, give each other enough room to hook into the situation, without wrapping the details of the action in each scene up so thoroughly. Throw hooks out to each other that another writer can latch onto with their character and take the action from there.

This is just an example of writing in a little more free-style form, and still accomplishing a goal; i.e., in this part of the Game – Naiore would at the end, have Vanwe, but the Rangers would have made her work a little harder for her prey.

As a group, you should, however, work in the way that is most comfortable for you.

On another note, it is best to concern yourself with the development of your own character and how he/she is going to react in a particular scene that is taking place. Unless another writer is stepping over the boundaries you have defined as comfortable for your own character, it is best if you simply have your character take in what the other character is doing and write your own character’s action with it in mind.

In other words – your character doesn’t know what is going on in the mind of the other character or what potentials the writer has set up for him/her – your character only knows what is seen, heard, etc of the other character, either from present or past direct experience or things that other characters have told him/her.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:54 PM   #446
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Quote:
1) Barrold needs to collect Vanwe & bring her to where Naiore waits. On the way, he will encounter Avanill, who has left the inn.

2) Dulrain catches Toby Longholes & takes him back to the Prancing Pony, where he is interrogated by the Rangers. They learn about Ferney's house at that time.

5) Somehow the Rangers find out about the raid. Suspecting Naiore, they go to investigate.

6) Naiore & company depart from Bree in the direction of Rivendell, as Naiore learns through Avanill that Menecin is in Rivendell.

7) Rauthain, Maethor, & Dulrain go after the trail of Barrold Ferney, et al, while Amandur & Lespheria try to find Tallas, with the intent of rejoining the others later.

8) Kaldir having returned to his camp & organized his group, takes off with Gilly & Benia on Naiore's trail, having found it at one of the places that Barrold has used in the past to hide fugitives.

9) The Rangers discover that someone is ahead of them on the trail. They can assume it would be Kaldir since they know he is in the area & interested in catching Naiore.

10) THEY ALL LEAVE BREE.
Basically that is a guideline, provided in the hopes of getting us out of gridlock and back on track. As Pio pointed out, you have every right to make changes and run with it as you see fit or as your character might see fit. We don't have to decide every little detail & plot point in advance.

Quote:
If that's the final word, that's fine by me.
I will wait on posting anything for a few hours yet.
Elora - post anytime you are ready. The house is not being watched. Barrold can do anything he sees fit within the current situation. The outline is provided as a guideline only. The same goes for Vanwe or Naiore.

Everdawn - you might want to post & get Avanill out of the inn so that he can connect with Barrold Ferney.

Imladris - Please check your PM's! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2003, 07:57 PM   #447
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Boots

Thanks for the suggestion Pio.

EDIT:

In the interests of resolution, I am taking the opportunity to edit.

I am utterly at a loss as to how I have personally attacked another's intelligence, character, personality, or contributions.

I shall make a decision as to whether I continue with this RP tomorrow.

Imladris: noticed your earlier edit at the top of the page. Vanwe doesn't have her knife, it was left behind with her pouch when her worn belt snapped upon being captured. The two Rangers that had found her prints in the trees discovered this at that time.

The cellar is devoid of sharp objects. Even had she a key to open the lock, she would need to be conscious to use it. Right now, Vanwe is definately not conscious and given the terrible nature of the elixir given to her will not be conscious for some hours yet.

[ October 08, 2003: Message edited by: Elora ]
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 10-08-2003, 08:10 PM   #448
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Elora - your characters are essential to the continuance of this game. If you drop out, the game will close.

I am working hard to remedy this situation & I ask that everyone please take a deep breath and not make any rash decisions. This could still be an excellent game and fulfill the promise it showed in the planning phase and the posts that have gone up so far. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

We have come too far and worked too hard to see it implode like this.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:41 AM   #449
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Discussion Thread Part 2 can be found HERE.

[ October 10, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-10-2003, 01:29 AM   #450
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Tolkien The Lingering Darkness Discussion Thread Part 2

Basic Guideline for Game

ACT 1: At the Forsaken Inn
  • Lespheria departs, leaving Amandur at the inn, where he remains in the hopes of finding out where Naiore is.
  • Naiore & Vanwe meet somewhere near the inn.
  • Kaldir captures Gilly, who is trying to rescue Benia.
  • Hanasian returns to the inn from Bree.
  • 2 Shady Underworld Types arrive at the inn. (Or they may already be there -- writer‘s choice.)
  • 2 New Rangers arrive at the inn, meeting Amandur and Hanasian.

ACT 2: Meetings & Departures
  • Kaldir returns to the woods, where he had earlier sensed an ominous presence, and discovers that it is indeed Naiore. He picks up her trail.
  • Naiore & Vanwe fall in together.
  • Hanasian & Amandur also learn of Naiore's presence by chance, intuition, or whispered rumor.
  • Having been intercepted and turned back by a messenger from her twin brother, Lespheria returns to the inn, where she rejoins Amandur.
  • Hanasian leaves. Dulrain, the Ranger, joins forces with the other two Rangers.
  • Hearing somehow of Naiore’s presence, the Underworld Types decide to seek her out, leaving the inn before the others.
  • The rest of them depart (in separate groups) in pursuit of Naiore.
  • Gilly and Benia accompany Kaldir as his prisoners (sort of).

Act 3: Intrigue
  • Naiore & Vanwe take up with the two Shady Underworld Types
  • The Hunters & the Hunted all stalk each other a bit. There are run-ins & confrontations as Naiore attempts to take out her pursuers by whatever means she has at her disposal.
  • Gilly & Benia try to decide whether to assist Kaldir, escape from him, or attempt to redeem him.
  • Hanasian catches up with Kaldir.

Act 4: The Noose Tightens
  • With Rangers and bounty hunters closing in, Naiore changes her focus from killing the Rangers to pursuing Menecin, using any and all means to conceal her path.
  • The Rangers (all of them) and Lespheria ride together.
  • Shady characters start to realize Naiore may be setting them up for a fall and so plot against her.
  • Gilly & Benia manage to free themselves or Kaldir loosens his grip as he becomes increasingly focused on the hunt for Naiore.

Act 5: End Game
  • Naiore makes her attempt to kill Menecin. She fails & flees to the south, deserting Vanwe to her fate.
  • Naiore tries to take down anyone she can as she attempts to escape the closing trap.
  • The shady characters make their move against Naiore, either on their own or together.
  • Naiore is trapped somewhere near the Gladden Fields, where she is either captured or slain.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:30 AM   #451
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Here's where we are now: (per Ealaside's post on Discussion Thread Part 1)

Kaldir is on his way back to his camp where Gilly & Benia are held.

Barrold Ferney has just re-entered Bree by the west gate.

Toby Longholes is outside Bree's west gate, having avoided being caught by Kaldir.

Naiore is holed up somewhere on Bree Hill.

Amandur & Lespheria are searching northern Bree for signs of Naiore's wherabouts.

Rauthain, Maethor, Dulrain, & Avanill are at the Prancing Pony.

Vanwe is in Barrold's cellar/basement.

Here's what needs to happen next:

10) THEY ALL LEAVE BREE.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:30 AM   #452
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Am opening a fresh Discussion Thread for the Game.

I've put the original game plan on this thread and the suggestions by Ealasaide of the direction in which the game should be heading at present.

Before the game starts back up, I would like you to consider the following observations/suggestions on my part. See if you can take your game up a level. You are all good enough writers to give this a try at some point during the game.

This is how I understand good gaming, and how I judge it for myself (on a very basic level):
  • Participation in it should be fun, exciting, and challenging. Ideally there would be some feeling of chemistry that develops among the gamers.
  • There should be ‘some’ organization – an understandable beginning, middle, and end to the game. The last two should be flexible, though, and not written completely in stone.

While it’s nice to have a game plan for your RPG, it is more of a guideline than a fiat. When you subscribe to an outline too closely, it becomes as if you are backfilling in the story with your posts.

You are writing your characters, in other words, to conform to the storyline, and not letting the storyline develop in a natural way from the way each player plays their character.
  • There should be some surprises and twists in the plotline that make it a little unpredictable and encourage the gamers’ characters to work a little harder to overcome or incorporate them.

It can make the game fresh and exciting if one or two of the gamers pick up on something another gamer has written for her character and uses it to put a little twist in the plot. The other characters can then react to the new wrinkle in the storyline and take it from there, without discussing all the ins and outs of it on the discussion thread. (If you are unsure whether this twist might take the game too far off course, then PM Ealasaide, of course and discuss it.)

It can be quite fun, too, when a couple of gamers get together by PM and plan a strategy the others know nothing about and will make them scramble to overcome the barriers/challenges set up before moving on toward their intended goal.

For example:

Vanwe is weak and tied up. And in a location where the Rangers could find her if they looked thoroughly. What would happen if one of them found her, and effected a rescue of sorts. This would offer the opportunity for Naiore and her Henchmen to react to the rescue. The rangers probably couldn’t take Vanwe far – since she is in a weakened state. Naiore would have the opportunity to snatch her back.

This would spice the game up – all the writers would write independently in a sense.

Someone would take the lead for the rangers and start it off, give each other enough room to hook into the situation, without wrapping the details of the action in each scene up so thoroughly. Throw hooks out to each other that another writer can latch onto with their character and take the action from there.

Ideally, none of this would be planned out before hand on the Discussion thread. Though the surprise could have been planned out in advance by the Ranger group in PM.

This is just an example of writing in a little more free-style form, and still accomplishing a goal; i.e., in this part of the Game – Naiore would at the end, have Vanwe, but the Rangers would have made her work a little harder for her prey.
  • Characters should grow and develop as the game progresses, as they interact with the other characters.

And this is something I firmly believe in – the writer of a character controls the actions, thoughts, feelings of that character completely, and conversely it is not the province of other writers to tell a character’s owner how they think the character should be acting.

Their job is to respond and react to what the character has done and have their own characters rise to the challenge.

Old 10-10-2003, 04:01 AM   #453
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Right now Avanill is another stagnant character, through no fault of Everdawn.
I know! and its killing me! but not to fear, Avanill is about to become a functioning character in the game, i thought it not to post so frequently for Avanill becuase he would just be talking to himself! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 10-10-2003, 04:44 AM   #454
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Thanks for that Pio [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm now getting very excited about this Rpg again [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I have been holding back on straying from the basic story line, if you have read any of the other Rpgs I have particapated in you will see that I frequently add surprises and new twists,(Mixing it up, so to speak) Take for example The Rpg Greenwood the great and the growing love betweeen my Character Taurewen and the proud elf Reynion, just when the readers (and writers) thought the two elves where going to live happily everafter, we pulled the preverbial rug from under them, and their story ended tragically [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

so be fore warned [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Everdawn I'm looking forward to reading more of your Character, The growth of your character, Arië in Greenwood was wonderful to read [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Edit:
Elora I have decided to have Toby play both sides [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] well try too anyway! just now he has caught up to Barrold, intent on selling him information!

The information is thus:
1/ A ranger(Amandur) has been asking for him by name!

2/He has seen two rangers skulking about his place!

How Barrold aquires this info is entirely up to you [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] I just ask that you don't kill him, I still need Dúlrain to find him [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ October 10, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]
Old 10-10-2003, 10:06 AM   #455
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Thanks, Pio! Those are all very helpful suggestions and should go a long way in opening up the action.

I just wanted to re-affirm that the list I provided as "what needs to happen" was just my way of organizing all the ideas that were being thrown around. It is just a framework. We are BY NO MEANS bound to follow it.

So - everybody - go ahead & cut loose! Let's see where it leads! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

(BTW, great posts Hilde, Everdawn, & Nerindel! I should have something up later today, too.)

[ October 10, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]
Old 10-10-2003, 01:58 PM   #456
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

I've just posted & put Kaldir back in his camp with Gilly & Benia.

I have also advanced the time so that dawn is just touching the eastern horizon. It will soon be light.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:35 PM   #457
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Fantastic....

I never add twists and surprises to plots. Never ever.... simple, innocent me simply stays true to the plot and never deviates. her characters never take off in a different direction and refuse to come back when called. Never ever...

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I'm being a smarty pants.

I'd love to get back into this now but unfortunately I can't owing to my house filling with hungry guests who were told by someone who resembled me that they'd be fed... also heading away to take in the rare blessing of an international sporting event being held nearby (4 hours away by that's very close here in regional Australia).

So, I won't be able to get my addled mind together and post something until Sunday night, board time.

Sorry folks... This was all last minute arrangements and I wish I could have given you all more notice. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2003, 04:08 PM   #458
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

No problem, Elora - Have a good time! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

We'll look for you to post on Sunday or so.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:52 PM   #459
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Heads up all!

I've posted for both Dúlrain and Amandur, moving the game on a bit.

Elora/Everdawnthe discussion between your characters and Toby will need to be added, perhaps you can work out a post together and put it on the discussion thread then I can paste it below Toby's post??

Toby treasures only two things, money and life (his own!), threaten to take away either and he will tell you anything, well almost anything, he won't tell you about dealing with Amandur,(Fearing Barrold would kill him [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )

I also did not have Toby say much about that encounter to the rangers (in amandurs post) as I figured that Barrold would make a point of not revealing much to the hobbit.

Imladris Amandur has sent Máethor to find Dúlrain who is patrolling the town, the interrogation of Toby has taken some time, so try to reflect this in your next post please, but don't find him just yet. Pm me if you have any Questions [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

HildeRauthain is still in the inn with Amandur, Léspheria and Toby, Feel free to have Rauthain question Toby further if he wishes.

Ealasaide Please set Kaldir et al up as we discussed via pm [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I am pming you a post to look at [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 02:50 AM   #460
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Ok, I'm here, I'm taking notes and trying desperately to concentrate whilst Rancid's rendition of Elton John's "Benny and the Jets" plays..... not easy.

Bless Rancid.

I hope to move forward to dawn with Barrold's post, which will include the discussion with Avanill and Toby. I understand that it may require editing to meet with the plans for the fine folk writing Avanill and Toby, which I am happy to do should it be necessary.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 03:44 AM   #461
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

OK, done... hope that works out.

Everdawn, let me know if I need to amend anything concerning Avanill. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Nerindel, I was all set to include Toby, but it seemed Toby had been intercepted by Rangers. I can edit if I had placed Toby and misread events. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 11:10 AM   #462
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes Nerindel, I do believe that Rauthain would be interested in questioning Master Longholes!

Elora, hope the dinner went well and that your kitchen didn't look like Barrold's in the aftermath! I know mine did Friday night! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ October 13, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Old 10-13-2003, 02:48 PM   #463
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Kitchen, what kitchen? All there was in the morning when I got up was a steaming crater where the kitchen once was. That certainly took care of the washing up, but the step down into the now sunken kitchen is a bit of a steep one.

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I'm going to put together a Vanwe post to get her up and about, relatively. She'll grow in strength steadily, reaching her full recovery by midday (much to Naiore's surprise and dismay). Then we shall see what we shall see. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 04:09 PM   #464
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Looks, great, everybody! I am working on a long post for Kaldir that will bring him and Gilly and Benia into Bree.

I hope to have that up tonight or tomorrow at the latest.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:43 AM   #465
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

OK..... Nerindel and Ealasaid had a "cunning plan" which I very much liked the sound of.

The idea is for Vanwe to make an escape bid from Barrold and Avanill, bumping into Maethor who is looking for Dulrain.

Now, as I said, that outline is a sketchy one that arose from my initial thoughts on the idea Nerindel and Ealasaide suggested.

Any comments?

Old 10-14-2003, 04:13 AM   #466
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Sounds good to me!
Old 10-14-2003, 11:21 AM   #467
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

". . . His thoughts suddenly reeled, what if the veiled woman was the one they sought and the Hobbit woman was her prisoner, a means to enter the shire maybe? . . ."

Sitting here with my cuppa morning java like a Victorian slavering over the latest developments in my morning's spell-binding penny dreadful . . .

*mutters . . . Muddy bells! The page won't scroll down any further . . . Ack! Nor more posts to read . . .

[ October 14, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-14-2003, 05:42 PM   #468
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

OK... it's offical. I'm insane.

I coulda sworn I put up a description of Vanwe's escape, encounter with Maethor and recapture last night.

I'm sure I did.... perhaps I should start taking my medication again...

Anyways, I've done the dawn post for Vanwe. I posted from her perspective which is still very drugged and fogged.

Here's what's happened. Avanill and Barrold have come into the cellar, collected Vanwe and started off.

Everdawn I figured it would be Avanill who leads the way to where Tallas is, as it's his idea to procure the needed supplies from there.

Barrold will be left carrying Vanwe, who will not be nicely unconscious for very much longer, at which point.... look out.

Vanwe and Barrold will get into a confrontation. Avanill will hear the noise and get into an argument with Barrold. That's when I plan to have Vanwe escape.

She runs into Maethor, Barrold and Avanill run into Maethor and Vanwe. They fight. Dulrain hears the racket and investigates.

Upshot is that Vanwe is re-captured, I figured as Dulrain arrives, and the two villians skedaddle with Vanwe, to rob Tallas and high tail it out of there.

Now, if this outline vanishes without a trace, I'm checking myself into a retreat, Hollywood star style.

What do ya'll think?

[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2003, 09:01 PM   #469
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

That sounds good...I'm so sorry I haven't been checking and posting...what hectic day it has been!

Old 10-15-2003, 12:02 AM   #470
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
Upshot is that Vanwe is re-captured, I figured as Dulrain arrives, and the two villians skedaddle with Vanwe, to rob Tallas and high tail it out of there.
All good, but remember, Avanill is not akidnapper, so i think he wont be very good at it. Could be funny if we work that the right way. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 10-15-2003, 02:50 AM   #471
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Well then, sounds like we're all on board as I ran the outline past Nerindel and I think Ealasaid also....

Everdawn, I understand what you're saying and I agree. Could be very amusing [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2003, 07:26 PM   #472
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

A quick edit to my last post for Kaldir: he is now passing Gilly off as "Mrs. Tunnelly of Archet", rather "Mrs. Proudfoot."

Apologies to all who know hobbits better than I! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2003, 05:01 AM   #473
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Everdawn you last post has left me a little confused, I thought Vanwe was going to escape before they raided Tallas's place, have I missed a change of plans [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

one other thing Tallas would never have helped your kind of people [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

--------------------------------------------
Here is Tallas's Bio to refresh everyones memory [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Name: Tallas

Race: Man (Unknown origins, The elves suspect he is Dunedain)

Weapons: Tallas' only weapon appears to be the wooden staff that supports his frail frame, but hidden inside the staff is a long sword with a slender blade.

Appearance: To all appearances Fallas looks to be nothing more than an old hermit, Dressed in a shabby woollen robe, tied at the waist by a well worn brown leather belt.

His shoulder length hair is grey, as are his eyes and beard which is tucked in his belt. He has a wooden staff which supports his seemingly frail body, but these things are deceptive, for in need he is swift and agile.
To those who look years of wisdom and foreknowledge can be seen in his eyes.

Personality/Strength/Weaknesses: Tallas' long years and foresight have made him wise and patient. He will always help those who request his assistance, but he hold no love for those who seek to cause harm to others. He is a solitary man and finds comfort in the peacefulness of the Chetwood.

Although advanced in his years he seems not to have lost much of his ability to wield both staff and sword. Tallas is a peaceful man but when angered a fire burns within that seems to give him added strength.

History: Not much is know of Tallas' history, but nearly all the rangers of the north have dealt with or heard of him.

After the War of the Ring Tallas settled in the calming woods of Chetwood, where he trades medicines and potions with those of a goodly nature. He also is a friend of the elves of Rivendell and Elladan and Elohir. Hearing of his foresight sent him notes that they gather on Naiore and Menecin, hoping his foresight will give clues as to the outcome of their dilemma.

Tallas also helped Léspheria's mother when she sought out her cousin, he also kept notes on Valaindon and her daughter Léspheria foreseeing that all four where connected.

His only notes on Vanwe are his recent sighting of her and what Léspheria has told him.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:38 AM   #474
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Oh no, dont worry, my mistake! I was just thinking that Avanill having taken Vanwe away from Barrold, Avanill would absent-mindedly let her go ( Becuase Avanill is not a kidnapper) as Barrold and he fought a slight way before Tallas shack. Meaning that Avanill has now seen the shack some way off.

As for Tallas, well i was only trying to find a link as ot why Avanill would know to come there for supplies. But now I read about him again, I will have Avanill only hearing of him. Will that be fine?

[ October 17, 2003: Message edited by: Everdawn ]

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 10-17-2003, 03:57 AM   #475
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Thats fine Everdawn, sounds great I just get confused easily [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

As for Tallas I would think that the more villianous elements of Arda would bear him a grudge:
1/ for not shareing his fine and potent wares
And
2/ for his continual aid to the rangers and law enforcers.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:05 AM   #476
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Well, I sent Barrold off to scout, leaving Avanill with Vanwe and created the escape opportunity.

If I've acted too hastily, I'm happy to edit, so please let me know. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Everdawn, hope I've done justice to Avanill.

Vanwe will need a little bit of a lead so that she can bump into Maethor before Avanill and Barrold catch up to her.

Nerindel, I used Tallas' reference to tears. Hope you don't mind me borrowing inspiration like that. I dare say she'll shed a great deal more after Barrold and Avanill catch her up and strike at Tallas' place.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:16 AM   #477
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Mind, oh, not at all Elora, it was there to be used [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Great posts everyone I find my self waiting with anticapation for the next part of the story, even if I do know some of what happens next. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2003, 11:41 AM   #478
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Question: Vanwe runs into Maethor in Bree, right? I saw a map of with Bree and Chetwood and it seems as if they are some way out of town? Did I misread/misunderstand something?

Old 10-17-2003, 12:07 PM   #479
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

BREE-LAND MAP

I looked in my Fonstad Atlas of M-e - Chetwood abuts up against the northern edge of Bree-hill, where Combe is located. The town of Bree is about 2 miles south east of the woods on the other side of the hill.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:34 PM   #480
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Please note that the map off the Shirepost site and the Fonstad atlas are tremendously different, including the locations of gates and main roads. I think that this, in part, contributed to the confusion earlier. The Fonstad map has everything closer to Bree proper. (Can you tell I bought an atlas? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )

[ October 17, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]