The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2002, 10:09 AM   #1
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting Best Digital Character Graphically

Who do think is the best computer animated character? Not who your favourite is, but which one has the best graphics. Though all of them are very well done.<P>I think Gollum was done extremely well, he looks so realistic!!!
Old 12-27-2002, 10:37 AM   #2
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gollum is definately the best, and the worst animated characters I have seen were in Harry Potter #1 especially the Quidditch match and the Troll in the bathroom.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:44 AM   #3
Marsyas
Animated Skeleton

Marsyas has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Gollum was definitely well done! Although Treebeard comes in a close second, considering the animators had to make a tree look (realistically) as if it had eyes, a mouth, a nose. It didn't seem so much like a cartoon or something. They did an incredible job on the whole thing.<P>*~Marsyas~*
Marsyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 11:41 AM   #4
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

I think Gollum was very well done, although he almost seemed goofy looking at times. I thought that the Oliphaunts were great, even though we didn't see a lot of them. I could never quite visualize them in the books because I knew I'd just picture normal elephants. So much for my imagination.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:29 PM   #5
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

The best CGI character I've seen thus far is definitely Gollum with JarJar Binks in the Star Wars prequel movies being the <B>worst</B>!!!
Old 12-28-2002, 08:05 AM   #6
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't let your feelings for the character lead you astray from the question at hand! What makes you say that JarJar was a worse CG effect than the Oliphaunts? I thought the Oliphaunts were terrible! So were the Ents. I think that possibly they should have used big animatronic puppets for the Ents. What ever happened to that technology? With all the realistic sets and costumes that were made for the movies, I'm sure the Ents could have been much more believable. <P>I think there's a tendency for people to see every new CG movie as better than the last. This is by no means true, especially if you look at a film like Final Fantasy, now several years old. Of course, I'm not an animator, and have a pretty unfounded opinion on the whole issue.<P>Gollum was <B>AMAZING</B> - there's just no denying that. Especially his eyes. I think he's probably the most human CG character that has ever been created. Apart from him, though, I think the CG was sub-par. And the textures on JarJar and co were much more real - too real, almost. At surface level they looked more detailed than the actors they were next to! Also, how is Gollum's loincloth supposed to stand up to the rigours of cross-country travel? By all rights it should've been torn off on a tree halfway through Ithilien - yeeurghh!!
Old 12-29-2002, 03:26 AM   #7
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

I happened to like treebeard. I thought he looked quite good. But i thought Gollum was indeed the best and i happened to like the Nazgul on the winged beasts this time. They were true to the how the concept designers visualised them, which was great to see. Have a <A HREF="http://img-fan.theonering.net/rolozo/images/howe/eow.jpg" TARGET=_blank>look</A>.

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 04:56 AM   #8
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The cavetroll in FOTR was greatly made but I didn't like the look of it.<P>Gollum was good too but I had some issues with his look also. Too human.<P>And treebeard was to thin. I thought of him as more robust and human-alike but never the less he was the best I think.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:30 PM   #9
Rose, the youngest
Pile O'Bones

Rose, the youngest has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rose, the youngest
Sting

Gollum's human characteristics were wonderful! His movements and facial expressions illistrated the torment and fear that has haunted him for centuries. It was almost possible to read his emotions in his eyes, and for a CG amination, that is incredible. (Then again, it could be my imagination playing tricks on me!)<BR>As for the worst CG, I will stick to TTT and say that the Oliphants, althought well designed accourding to the imaginations that each of us are entitled to, were to briefly encountered to have a good look. <BR>Please note that out of TTT the Oliphants were the poorest, not all films even created.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:47 PM   #10
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gollum was DEFINITELY the best CG, but Treebeard and the Ents came in a close second. the way they made Gollum, it looked like he was an actual person. The only fake-looking part with the Ents was when Merry and Pippin were sitting on the very top of Treebeard's head. That looked really fake. Did anyone notice that?
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 01:11 AM   #11
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<B>The Balrog</B><P>Oh, man, I'm so sorry I forgot to mention the Balrog. The scene of him and Gandalf falling, and the explosion at Helm's Deep, were the two most amazing things I have ever seen in a movie! I was pretty disappointed by the Balrog in FOTR, I was like "Is that it? Is that all he's got? Just turn up and roar?" But I have to admit they did an incredible job on the TTT one. Especially the way that his body was like glowing embers! Ooh la la!<P>Watched Star Wars Attack of the Clones again today, and once again I have to say that apart from Gollum and the Balrog, TTT CG was average at best.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:44 AM   #12
Nate

Thumbs up

yep. gotta be Gollum he looked brilliant in TTT, very realistic.