The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-19-2002, 09:22 AM   #1
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting What is your Ring? What quest are you on?

In Middle-earth Mayhem there was a question which asked if every character in LotR was an animal, what would he/she be and why?. I had no trouble coming up with an match for many characters, but I was stuck when I got to Frodo. I typed in "sacrificial lamb" because of Frodo's endurance of unmerited suffering, but even this didn't seem right. Then Rimbaud came up with one very perceptive suggestion.....that Frodo was a Confused and Lonely Man, the symbol of Everyman.

Now, I want to take this one step further. Let's assume Rimbaud is right. Everyone of us, confused as we are, is Frodo! That means every one of us has a quest to go out and destroy some piece of evil. Now I don't want to get into intensely personal or partisan things, but, in general, what piece of evil concerns you so much that you'd be willing to lay your life on the line or even your soul, the way Frodo did? What Ring of Evil would you be willing to take on and struggle to get to the very steps of Mount Doom, so that you can toss it into the fire and see it destroyed?

And, yes, I know this is allegory and Tolkien wasn't fond of that. But, what the blazes, it's just a game!!

sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 08-19-2002, 01:01 PM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

What do I think is the most evil thing in the world?
Well, in Middle-Earth it was rather clear but in our world I don't really think there's one thing that stands out so I don't know.
That wasn't really a fun answer was it? What the hell, how about Liam Gallagher?
Old 08-19-2002, 02:28 PM   #3
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Do you kindof mean what is your idol?

Hmm, how about my computer because I spend way to much time on it... It would be hard to carry far though!
Old 08-19-2002, 02:35 PM   #4
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My One Ring? Humm.....I would have to say that the greatest evil in our world (imho) would be ignorance. Others came close, but I truly believe that ignorance is the roots to all evils in this world, whatever it may be.
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 07:28 PM   #5
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Jeepers, you've done it again, Child. This is quite a doozy of a topic.
The greatest evil in the world??? Hmm...
I will have to go with misunderstanding or miscommunication because it is a misunderstanding between all the peoples of the world which leads to the greater evil of violence and war. Miscommunication between all the peoples of the world can cause lots of trouble too, because that's how rumors could start.

It's hard to imagine, nowadays, actually going out into the world with a fellowship of nine to destroy the evils of the world. One simple task could not help anymore, it would take collaberation between millions of people. If only it was as simple as throwing the one ring of power into Mt. Doom. As for fighting to the death... me, I am no warrior, so I join no army... but I am very protective of my friends and family, so for them I would fight to the death and destroy the "one ring" if necessary.

Wow, OK, hopefully I don't sound crazy now. Crazy Hobbit! Crazy Hobbit!!!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 07:30 PM   #6
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Oh, OK... on a smaller scale I think that things such as equality and racisim are things that I would fight to be fair. That's a little more reasonable.
Also, I would fight for conservation. It saddens me to think of what this earth used to look like before we covered it with poisens.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 09:46 PM   #7
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, I would like to stamp out pain. Plain old physical pain. People in pain, animals in pain, plants in pain. No pain allowed. The causes of pain are many, so I guess I would need magic. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2002, 10:32 PM   #8
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

Lady_Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady_Galadriel
The Eye

It would defenatley be something to the effect of all this building. I mean people keep building over the beatuiful land that was originaly created. And there are so many strip malls being built in my area, and for the most part, the majority of them are being abandoned and the owners are purchesing one of the many new ones being built on account of they are a whole lot cheaper. So we have all these vacant strip malls, and are in the process of building more.
What about all the trees that are being destroyed ot do this? And all the raised taxes we are paying, so the state can pay the construction workers to build more stuff.
If there is a need to build things, why don't we just fix up the stuff we allready have and save some of this beautiful landscape that is greatly disapearing.
Im sorry for rambling on and on, but...
And, correct me if i'm wrong, but don't you have this same problem in your area? (well unless you live in this beautiful, tree filled, land where you can actually see something besides empty buildings.... then you, my friend, are a lucky one)
Old 08-20-2002, 09:18 AM   #9
Baran
Haunting Spirit

Baran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good topic

I actually live in a beautifull tree filled land, where all the empty buildings are old, hounted tree houses, with the greatest untouched nature right outside my door, and all I want to do is move to some big contaminated city... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

My ring have to be, hmm, well, this might sound like something a "Miss Blonde" contestant would have answered, but nonetheless, injustice!

I think it is totally wrong how the resources are distributed, look at the lifestyle and the bankaccounts of the richest people in the world! There are millions of people suffering because they lack the most basic of things to survive (like food, medicines, clean water), 40 000 children are dying every day of hunger, the three richest people in the world own more than the 48 poorest countries! And I would wholeheartedly help Gorothlammothiel in his quest as well.
Baran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 09:54 AM   #10
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

NyteSky has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NyteSky
Sting

All good responses so far. Hard to top, so I'll have to switch it a little. What about things on a personal level? For me I'd want to throw certain aspects of myself, my personal Gollum for example, into Mt. Doom. Maybe then I'd be ready to take on world wide problems. The problems I'd choose would be... hmm... I'll go with Gorothlammothiel on ignorance and add in close-mindedness. And we might not have millions, but there are just over 4000 Barrowdowners now... not an entirely insignificant number, though I doubt we can go for world domination yet.
NyteSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 06:52 PM   #11
Elsaur
Pile O'Bones

Elsaur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elsaur Send a message via AIM to Elsaur
Tolkien

i'd have to say i would do that not for world peace or that crap but i think if there was a middle earth now that the land has changed to raise it from the sea.if not what the hell,world peace. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2002, 07:06 PM   #12
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I commend you on a fascinating question, Child of the 7th Age.

To my mind, Narya provides quite enough responsibility for me to bear.

Gandalf the Grey
Gandalf_theGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 09:52 AM   #13
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Since I started this thread, I'd better throw in my opinion. Thank you, everyone, for your answers. They're very interesting.

This is not an easy question for me. I can name many things that I am willing to give my time and money to accomplish in the hopes that a better world will result. But to do what Frodo did? Just think about it. It would be taking something on that has the potential not only to kill your body, but to corrupt your soul/fea. That is a dangerous thing.

I mean I don't want to spend the rest of my life as a Ringwraith! I think that's one of the things that made Frodo so "unique" as a hero. It would be almost as if, in order to fight an evil thing, a piece of you would have to be continually exposed to that evil. In a way, that's what Frodo did. Because of the strength of evil, and the fact that he was vulnerable just as any man or hobbit would be, a tiny piece of him had to become evil.

So, is there any cause or person, I would put myself into that situation for? Yes, I think so. It would be a personal thing. Something that would directly threaten my close family and friends, particularly my children. For them, I would stick my neck out that far. If I knew that Ringwraiths were headed to my house unless I left, you better believe that I would race out of there, just as Frodo fled from the Shire in order to protect it. And what might happen next is anyone's guess.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:05 AM   #14
Gorothlammothiel

Pipe

I agree Child of the 7th Age, that on a personal level, most would do the same if it were for the safety of thier loved ones. It is the way we will sacrifice for others, be it sacrificing ourselves (body and soul) or something, just to help another.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:29 PM   #15
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I was thinking that when I was younger I would have jumped right in with big and burning issues as the quests within which to cast myself as 'hero/leader/shining example': war, hunger, disease, poverty, inequalities based on race, sex, age, or any perceived differences, the assault on the ecosystem, etc., etc.

Now my quest has narrowed down to a smaller, more do-able one - to be kind in all my approaches; and to be ready to step up and do the small things I can do as need arises.

More of a 'Samwise' approach to things, than a Frodo.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:33 PM   #16
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I don't really know what would be my "one ring". I have retyped this response so many times. And I really have to face the facts. Everything I have on Earth is all materialistic. It will all fade away one day. So I don't think I would ever risk my life for any of it.

One thing though, would have to be my Faith. God's love for me. I think that is the only thing that matters enough in my life that I would give up my life for it. I wouldn't actually be giving IT up. But I would die for Him. I mean, it's the least I could do. He already died for us. So why not do the same in return?

Either that or give it up my life so that others can live like Child said. Those are the only things I can think of.

[ August 21, 2002: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 08:44 PM   #17
Calenedheliel
Animated Skeleton

Calenedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The evil I would want to rid the world of is hate. I really believe that hatred is behind all the other evils in the world. It would take the whole world of people to stand up and fight hatred to rid the world of it.
Calenedheliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:09 AM   #18
Salix
Shade of Carn Dūm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Wow, I'm reading everthing, and I have no clue as to what to answer! I guess I'd just stamp out plain old stupidity/ignorance/whatever else is on that line, cause that would solve a lot of problems, like, well poverty I guess, and that sort of thing. I really have to agree with Eruwen on this topic.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:26 AM   #19
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hmm . . . good question. I think my one ring would consist of multiple things . . . but cruelty makes up most of the One Ring I wish I could destroy. Cruelty as in either verbal, physical, or psychological abuse. As a matter of fact, I can't stand any kind of cruelty. Ignorance and intolerance are also big factors. Those are the three main factors that make up my One Ring, but seeing as these three things exist all throughout society, and are deeply rooted in humanity, I guess it would take more than one teenager to 'change the world'.

[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 08-23-2002, 10:39 AM   #20
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, this is a...really thoughtful topic. Umm, its a hard question to ask myself, "What would I be willing to do anything to get rid of, so that everything I love would be safe" I guess what the world really doesnt need, but what happens a lot, is like, doing things before one truly thinks of what will happen because of it. It seems that people, just dont think of the consequences of what they do. Maybe if people did something to stop that, the world would maybe be a better place by just a little. But there are far too many things to name just one Evil. People don't see how much they do wrong. Actually, maybe not wrong, but without a good outcome. Maybe Its just that people think too much of themsleves and what would save them or help them. Oh no, you have me thinking way too much. Very interesting question though, i dont know if there is any one correct answer.

Think About it.
Aylwen
Old 08-23-2002, 10:50 AM   #21
El Barto

1420!

I don't think I have a ring to destroy, cuz when you destroy a thing like evil, there would be no good, take away darkness and there will be no light [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]. Nah, I think I'll keep the world as it is today.

cheers
Old 08-23-2002, 11:14 AM   #22
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

There are few enough things I'd risk so much for, but without doubt, at the top of my list of Things Worth Dying Or Worse To Save would be beauty. I don't mean this in a deeply profound inner-beauty sort of way, just pure aesthetic pleasure. As an "artist" it is very important not only to my livelihood but to my way of life.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 11:24 AM   #23
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The most pervasive evil I can perceive is the human race itself; however they might pass muster if they keep hold of love, so I suppose that I would die to save love.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:17 PM   #24
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dūm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't suggest that I'm a warrior type capable of laying my life and soul for some case, but I'd much like to rid the world of people's INDIFFERENCE. Imo, that's the root of much evil in the world - indifference to other people's situation and feelings, to the surrounding world and it's problems, often to their own future. As a teacher I do my best to make kids care for things, to take responsibillty for what they do or could do. Only by DOING things it can be hoped to improve something, be it to change the fate of the world (gosh, I know it sounds pompous!)or simply to make one's nearest and dearest feel secure and happy.
That is what amomg other things and ideas I find in LotR.
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 11:45 PM   #25
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Whoa. a tough one, Child.

What would my ring be? I could say my own confusion. How I'd stamp that out is hard to even think about. But what evil could I possibly take away?

I agree with Gorothlammothiel. Ignorance is evil. Close-minded, biased people ought to be freed, and tossing the ignorance ring into the fire would liberate their minds.

...wish I could've written something deeper, but it's just hard to think about it.

but I was so amused by this:

Quote:
What the hell, how about Liam Gallagher?
I'd agree to that! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 04:25 PM   #26
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I feel that 'hate' is the thing I would cast into Mount Doom. Ignorance, closed minds and extremism in its many forms all seem linked with this. All the things that came out of Pandora's jar but we mustn't forget that at the bottom was Hope. Reading through this thread could be very depressing when we highlight all that is bad in the world around us. One person may not be able to change the world but several persons acting as one can. I have Hope.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:31 AM   #27
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

i think the oppretion of an etire culture by anuther (e.g. n.ireland and palestine) is the greatist evil and i would lay my life down to se them to rights
Old 12-02-2002, 05:37 PM   #28
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

whoa....nice question. My quest to the fires would be to rid humans of their ability to ignore things. We don't see things because we choose not to see them or we alter it to what we want to see. To watch a child is the best example. They see the world for what it is. They see the good along with the bad and take it that way. They don't write off a person just because they made one mistake. They don't stereotype one race just because off the mistakes of a handful of people who screw up. The innocence and continual thrist of knowledge that they have is a wise thing to have. Children have a lot that a lot of people seem to have forgotten. They want to understand why this does this and not like some whom automatically assuming things. My ring is that people are not seeing the world for it is and make themselves blind to everything except what they want.
Old 12-26-2002, 04:18 PM   #29
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that in the reality things are so complicated and it is often so very difficult to see what is right and what is wrong that it is very hard to imagine one, single evil thing that I would like to destroy at the cost of my life. What could it be?
I truly don't know and this makes me feel like a coward. There is good and evil in every person and often it is very hard to tell right from wrong.
I would most certainly like to destroy the formula of the atombomb,for example, but then again...people would surely invent new weapons in no time! I think my quest would be- as someone else already mentioned- against ignorance and misunderstanding,as abstract as it may sound...
Old 12-26-2002, 06:09 PM   #30
Gorothlammothiel

Pipe

Abstract? Not at all Schmendrick, (What a brilliant name by the way).

I agree, while the formula for the atom bomb should be destroyed there will always be another that will 're-invent' it or develop a new system/weapon even more powerful than it's predecessor.

While something like that would be a smaller scale 'ring' to destroy as opposed to ignorance or misunderstanding, it would be something that would cause more of an affect on people afterwards, not that everyone being completely open-minded wouldn't but taking away a weapon like that could lead to political problems as situations may not be as easily resolved (not that an atom bomb does, but the mere thought of it...)
Old 12-26-2002, 06:15 PM   #31
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Very deep question, maybe a little too deep for me.
But it makes me think at least, I don't know, it is very hard to compare something like this to our real lives. I guess it would be something that you felt was so important that you would give up everything for it, I don't Know?
Old 12-26-2002, 07:00 PM   #32
Nianna Telmnar
Haunting Spirit

Nianna Telmnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nianna Telmnar
Silmaril

Great Question...

I have to go with Akhtene and Sleeping Beauty. The thing that I most want to destroy is the enormous amount of APATHY that existits today. Things like hate, ignorance, pollution, war, *insert injustice here* wouldn't be nearly as prevelant if people would learn to feel again. Feel for others and the world in general. For evil will always exist. But if more people cared, then maybe we could fight it better. (hmm. that came out a little convouluted I hope I made sense.)

So, to sum up; APATHY is my "one ring" and the one thing I strive to keep from my life always.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:14 PM   #33
JulieADeal

Sting

That really is a very good question. Without a doubt, I would destroy the unknowing. Allow me to elaborate...At the very instant of destruction, all secrets would become known...where do we go when we die, where did we come from, all the great mysteries that have plagued mankind for millenia. That may seem a bit harsh - but - I would love to level the playing field. To really know whether there are eternal consequences to our actions or if <poof> out goes the light. That is my Ring...That is my Quest.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:44 AM   #34
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hm, after thinking about this a little more, I've come to another conclusion.
I think my quest ( in reality, not in theory) is to become a better person myself. That would mean throwing away (in the Crack of Doom?) such characteristics as vanity, selfishness, hate etc. I guess that would also be quite close to what Frodo had to do, because this would mean giving up a part of one's self. And that is a really difficult task!
Also, if everyone would try to do this, the world would be a much better place... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2002, 04:00 AM   #35
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Great idea for a thread!

My 'One Ring' would be the cult of popularity and cliques and labels etc that surrounds teen culture. In my opinion this encourages discrimination and destroys people's individuality - who wants to live in a world where everyone is a clone of everyone else?!

On a personal level I would probably destroy my negativity about myself...
Old 12-27-2002, 09:33 AM   #36
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

eurgh... *goes away and thinks for two weeks

right... um... this has been mentioned, and i agree that the whole destruction of the natural world/pollution/fight industrialisation thing is really important. i would love to live in a town that looked like the shire! they manage to incorporate their entire existence into the natural world and work with the landscape.

(pauses to sigh and awww at her pretty cat asleep on the sofa [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

i dont really know how to describe this... and i dont want to offend anyone... but you know the whole idea of acceptance? why can we not live alongside each other and forget our differences? im not talking race/religion in particular, but thinking that people are weird for worshipping asparagus or something (ok, weird example...)
is the sort of thing we should stamp out. its like some religions believe that it is their duty to convert everyone else to that religion (although i understand that not every religion acts on those beliefs and DO accept all other religions).
Old 12-27-2002, 04:03 PM   #37
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

What an excellent topic!

I feel about my kids the way Frodo feels about the Shire: I will do whatever I have to to protect them, even at the risk of body and soul.

On a larger scale, if I could single-handedly destroy a One Ring which causes the world much grief, it would be 'indifference to others.'
Old 12-27-2002, 04:18 PM   #38
Maylin
Haunting Spirit

Maylin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maylin
Sting

I guess I'm not sure. I hate it when people get angry at each other and then think that that gives them the right to make treat them badly. unfortunately, if I were to get rid of that, many people would: a)not care
b) hate me for it, some people like to fight. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

more personally, I would also like to get rid of my own Gollum. It's actully really annoying, sometimes I even argue with myself, though I usually win. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 11:16 AM   #39
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Well, I would like to stamp out pain. Plain old physical pain. People in pain, animals in pain, plants in pain. No pain allowed. The causes of pain are many, so I guess I would need magic.
I totlly agree, plain old physical pain from anyhting hunger, wounds, sickness.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:16 PM   #40
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

This is going to sound really dumb, but what about death? I mean, in theory, if I could stop people dying, I would.

Of course it wouldn't work cause there's not enough space for everyone, but still. I think death is the worst cause you're forgotten in the end. Nothing is left behind and your whole existence is pointless if there's nothing to say, I was here, I was loved, I helped in some way.
I mean, to die without being remembered, not to have really lived, just ending- is the worst thing in the world.