The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Do any members remind you of a character?

Sorry if the title is not a good one, it was the best I could think of. I think an interesting thread to have on this site would be about what members remind us of what characters. I know that sometimes Hookbill makes me think of Bilbo and Rumil of Gollum. You could also say the Barrow Wight is like Feanor or Eru by creating something beautiful only it was not a Middle Earth or the Simarils but this great site. So what members remind you of what characters?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hmmm...you know actually Hakon, You remind me of elrond you seem serious like him(I say seem because tone is difficult in text and you Sound serious in my brain)
Old 07-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Lalwende has always reminded me of Bilbo, but this might just be because her avatar has been a photo of Bilbo since as long as I can remember...
Old 07-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Hmmm...you know actually Hakon, You remind me of elrond you seem serious like him(I say seem because tone is difficult in text and you Sound serious in my brain)
I tend to be too serious. Everyone around me comments on that.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Of course Lal's had that Bilbo avatar for as long as I can remember, but I've always thought she was Saruman. Simply because of this thread:

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthr...hlight=custard

Her musings about Elves walking on custard, and wanting to find out how everything works. To which, I responded she was sounding like Saruman and she practically placed Saruman on a gold pedestal, praising him as the greatest man in Middle-earth.

Mith, I think of Galadriel...particularly during WW where reading her posts are relaxing and I call 'a breath of fresh air', but certainly someone you do not want to cross in that game.

Agan's personality reminds me of Eowyn, although I don't think she would be into the Aragorn's of the world...still a strong-willed and determined person.

the phantom = Feanor 'nuff said.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boromir88 reminds me of Boromir because their names are similar.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Mith, I think of Galadriel...particularly during WW where reading her posts are relaxing and I call 'a breath of fresh air', but certainly someone you do not want to cross in that game.
Relaxed and me and werewolf seem terribly unlikely somehow..andI fear that your final comment shows you were actually thinking of Shelob....

Despite the name Boro sometimes reminds me of Sam ...never afraid to speak his mind...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Esty reminds me of Gandalf. She is everywhere and does everything. Yet she is patient and long suffering. The loss of Esty to the downs would be as devastating as the loss of Gandalf was to the fellowship.

Boromir actually reminds me of Elrond. A lore master always quoting from letters and histories.

SpM could remind me of Tom Bombadil. Very wise and serious and yet very light-hearted all at the same time.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Oh and Boro, I agree Phantom = Feanor
Old 07-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Add me to that Phantom Feanor bandwagon. I agree.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
mormegil
Maundering Mage

B-W is Eru as he created the site and was around for a while and slowly or suddenly left the affairs to others and now is seldom seen
Old 07-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
B-W is Eru as he created the site and was around for a while and slowly or suddenly left the affairs to others and now is seldom seen
So what would that make his introduction of Werewolf? The Akallabeth?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #13
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I should say Mithadan can be likened to Manwë: calmly cerebral most of the time, while radiating a sense of power. And Mister Underhill? More like Tulkas, perhaps: powerful as well, but has a tendancy to be a bit more, shall we say, forceful.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #14
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Relaxed and me and werewolf seem terribly unlikely somehow..andI fear that your final comment shows you were actually thinking of Shelob....~Mith
I was more describing how I feel after reading your WW posts. You have nice words of wisdom and it's a pleasant break from reading all us forceful loudmouths slugging it out and dealing out black eyes. And you typically bring up something new/different part of the game we ended up forgetting.

Plus as pleasant and helpful as I find Galadriel, I still wouldn't want to cross her! Look at Feanor, and as Aragorn said she is perilous, if you bring peril with you.

Quote:
Despite the name Boro sometimes reminds me of Sam ...never afraid to speak his mind...
Yes, and much to my dislike any time I've tried those LOTR personality tests I wind up with like an 80% + likeness to Sam.

Quote:
Boromir actually reminds me of Elrond. A lore master always quoting from letters and histories.~morm
I would have thought it would have been for WWED

Hmm...for narfforc, I actually wanted to say an orc, just because of the name similarity, but I'd say more Gildor. It might sound a little odd, like why Gildor, but I've always had a fascination with the character. I find Gildor pretty humorous, plus narfforcs quick posts always have a bit of insight, and it leaves me wondering what else does he know, but he's just not revealing to me!

I can't picture morm as anything except a gun-wielding monkey...so if there are any characters that remind you of gun-wielding monkeys it's morm. Kind of like Lommy, I can't see as anything else except a penguin.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #15
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rumil reminds me a bit of Bilbo, especially with those riddles. I am thinking about starting to call him Mr. Bilbo or Mr. Rumil. I think I remind myself of Denethor sometimes. Boro, you remind me more of Faramir than Boromir.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #16
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I think Squatter's quite a character, as is Lush. Hookbill too, and possibly burrahobbit.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #17
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Duw, duw,

Lucky escape! I was Gollum, now Bilbo!

I must say that I was seriously considering putting on The Precious there for a moment,

Meanwhile,

Esty is definitely Elbereth,

Legate is Elrond,

Lush is Queen Beruthiel, but in a good way

I'd better stop now before I cast nasturtiums....

(it is between late and early, with a full moon and some beverage-involvement, plus insomnia and a knotty work-problem unresolved, hmmm, nuff said!)
Old 07-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #18
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

So then- if I resolved to leave this site for another there would be a massive host that would tag along?

Hmm... Yes, that sounds about right.

Naturally the Valar (mods) would attempt to dissuade you, but when that time comes, do not listen! Yea, in the end they shall follow me.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #19
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
So then- if I resolved to leave this site for another there would be a massive host that would tag along?

Hmm... Yes, that sounds about right.

Naturally the Valar (mods) would attempt to dissuade you, but when that time comes, do not listen! Yea, in the end they shall follow me.
I would 100% have to! Where else will I be kept sane by being able to talk with someone who actually has a deep knowledge of sports? The few sports people I know out here, are total homers who think with $5.6 million cap space available, the Cavs were going to sign Villanueva, Wallace, Bosh, Marion, and Ariza because everyone wants to play for The King, just give 'em a bag of peanuts and they will come.

Quote:
I think I remind myself of Denethor sometimes.~Hakon
Interesting, because for you I was thinking either Celeborn or Denethor. I was leaning more towards Denethor because don't imagine you being that big of an Elves' fan.

Last edited by Boromir88; 07-09-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:54 PM   #20
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
Oh and Boro, I agree Phantom = Feanor
You all realise, of course, that if the phantom = Fëanor, then we're only a step away from the phantom = Fëanor of the Peredhil. Not that this wouldn't explain all sorts of things in relation to the phantom's ego and such...

In any case, I by and large do not tend to associate people on the Downs with people in the books, but Lalwendë is Galadriel to me--ageless and fey. Mark/Helen is Goldberry--not sure why, but there's a mental association with washing clothes on rainy days crosswired in the brain somewhere.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #21
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Plus as pleasant and helpful as I find Galadriel, I still wouldn't want to cross her! Look at Feanor, and as Aragorn said she is perilous, if you bring peril with you.

Well I guess I more or less have the hair (though I cover up the silver).... but of course the inconsitency is that I doubt I would refuse Phantom-Feanor a lock of it.

I don't quite see him that way myself but ... I am working on my list..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #22
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
I would have to say that Hookbill sort of reminds me of Tom Bombadil. I just can't put my finger on why...
Old 07-10-2009, 11:41 PM   #23
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Interesting, because for you I was thinking either Celeborn or Denethor. I was leaning more towards Denethor because don't imagine you being that big of an Elves' fan.
I am surprised that you do not think I am a big Elves' fan. To be honest the Elves are my favorite in Lord of the Rings followed by the hobbits. I kind of hate the Dwarves. They always annoy me. I would have to say my favorite elf is Celebrimbor. Him and Ar Pharazon are probably my favorite characters of all. I also just like any elf with Celeb in his name because it means silver and the word silver is in my name.

Nessa, Hookbill reminds you of Tom Bombadil because of his picture on the barrow downs photo page. Also because he writes the Phantom and Alien comic strip.

Last edited by Hakon; 07-10-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Hakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:37 AM   #24
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
Nessa, Hookbill reminds you of Tom Bombadil because of his picture on the barrow downs photo page. Also because he writes the Phantom and Alien comic strip.
Hookbill did dress up as Tom Bombadil for Oxonmoot a couple of years ago. You can see photos of him as Bombadil in a couple of old Downers. Though, when not dressed up, Hookbill doesn't remind me of Ol' Tom, more like Pippin or maybe Merry...
Old 08-16-2009, 06:20 AM   #25
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Laurinquë and TGEW are Merry and Pippin.

Fea is the Watcher in the Water. Don't ask why - she just is.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:47 AM   #26
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
But which one is which?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:19 AM   #27
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
the phantom = Feanor 'nuff said.
I never noticed this thread before... I thought I'd check it out just to see if anyone else thought the phantom = Fëanor. Really.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:57 AM   #28
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
To me Legate is Cirdan, since nobody else in M-e could be as knowledgeable. Cirdan lived through all the ages, he saw and knew all, and as such would be best fit Legate. Plus, Legate has an Elvish appearence.

I also thought about Pengolodh, but he is more a linguist.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #29
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
But that's definitely true!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
But which one is which?
You can't really tell them from one another in this manner, you know But maybe you are more like Pippin and Lauri is more like Merry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I never noticed this thread before... I thought I'd check it out just to see if anyone else thought the phantom = Fëanor. Really.
Oh but actually, I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
To me Legate is Cirdan, since nobody else in M-e could be as knowledgeable. Cirdan lived through all the ages, he saw and knew all, and as such would be best fit Legate. Plus, Legate has an Elvish appearence.

I also thought about Pengolodh, but he is more a linguist.
Oh, I'm flattered Interestingly enough, you remind me of some of the major characters of the earlier ages, but perhaps most of all of some early Númenorean king (or one name that occurs to me is Tar-Palantír), or even an early Arnorian or Gondorian one. Though the names that now occur to me (Isildur, Arvedui) are certainly not the most encouraging ones. But hmm... now maybe... Malbeth the Seer? You see, you have got this air of a Númenorean lorekeeper around yourself.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:46 AM   #30
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Fea is the Watcher in the Water. Don't ask why - she just is.
Because I... zealously guard doors?

I can't help but completely disagree about the phantom being Feanor. Though I adore them both, the phantom in my eyes is a young Húrin. Pre-chained up version.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #31
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
But which one is which?
You are Pippin and Lauri is Merry - she's older and calmer, you're younger and a tad more restless, right?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #32
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
I think you've really hit the nail here, that is most certainly who we are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
But maybe you are more like Pippin and Lauri is more like Merry.
Quote:
You are Pippin and Lauri is Merry - she's older and calmer, you're younger and a tad more restless, right?
This is most certainly true. Well, the older part at least.

TheGreatElvenWarrior was telling me about this yesterday and I knew immediately that I was Merry. Naturally, I denied it for a while (being fond of Pippin) but I had to agree with you two in the end. Being a hobbit is reward enough.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #33
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
TheGreatElvenWarrior was telling me about this yesterday and I knew immediately that I was Merry. Naturally, I denied it for a while (being fond of Pippin) but I had to agree with you two in the end. Being a hobbit is reward enough.
Well, if it comforts you, I always liked Merry better.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #34
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
Hi. Haven't known u guys long so just wanted to say hi.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote