The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #921
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Graduation!

Graduation parties. They're lots of fun, and I never realized quite how many people feel the need to give you presents when you hold one.

Lovely summer evenings when there's nothing more enjoyable to do than sit out on the deck and read, and then eat dinner with your family.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #922
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign the fresh deep green that first appears late spring, often after a rain. Oh, and also every other beautiful green...

Also the quiet summer twilights, when everything is starting to cool down, and the whole world is a soft blue.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:22 AM   #923
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
It takes dirt roads to get there. The air has been heavy for days; you're beginning to think it's raining when it's not: your eyes play tricks, moving the opaque moisture in the air into imaginary sheets of slate and silver. It doesn't rain, it just is, and the pressure is intense. The corner of your eye catches ghost motions. Everything is green and shadow.

A high deck, looking out over fields and forests, ending in mountains that jag into the horizon. The sky above you was blue ten minutes ago; you see the last of the clearness fading away toward the mountains. Darkness envelopes you, and lightening flickers absently behind you. Thunder echoes faintly through the countours of the land. Ten year old boys throw balls in the grass below you. An old dog, wet from a recent frolic in the creek, naps on the hot wood. You watch the blue sky recede. You feel the energy in the air.

Without warning, the sky opens; you remember your book, your electronics; you remember that you forgot a change of clothes. You regretfully retreat indoors.

You stand, in a darkened room, in an open door, watching the sky fall, listening to a redwing blackbird berate the wind from the safety of an overhang.

Fresh coffee, the first you've had in a week, made just for you, is pressed into your hand. As you watch the violent storm break calmly from the dry indoors, you smell steam and feel the faint warm glow inside your chest that comes from your favorite indulgence.

Summer storms. I adore summer storms.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:58 AM   #924
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Doctors. They do an inspiring job...
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #925
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Home-grown raspberries. I love that they grow so fast, you end up picking tons every day or two.

Fireflies. They're beautiful on summer evenings
Old 06-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #926
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The temperature soars to 96 humid degrees. The sun is roasting. It rained for just long enough to saturate the air and fill it with the smell of steam on pavement. The early afternoon has been spent laying on the floor under a lazily spinning ceiling fan watching Optimus Prime die surrounded by his beloved Autobots after battling Megatron and the Decepticons for one last heart-wrenching time... This is about to sound like an advertisement.

Dunkin Donuts. Because they're air conditioned, they have really good coffee that's just as good iced, and they're across the road from a gas station that's only charging $3.02 per gallon. Hecks yes for cheap[er] gas and cold coffee.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #927
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
lying in my garden, listening to Neil Young on my ipod, watching the clouds go by
Old 06-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #928
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Finding a used book store you've never been in. Realizing it's your dream store, at the end of a long driveway surrounded by untended rose and lily beds, with flourishing peonies and weeds, with cats wandering through the towering shelves of books that reach far over your head. Three stories in a renovated barn, with labyrinthine aisles and steep staircases with rickety railings. The smell of must and books that haven't been opened during your lifetime, being sold for a dollar a piece.

Spontaneous sushi lunch outings.

A Superman t-shirt that cost less than a gallon of gas.

Cooler weather than yesterday.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:18 AM   #929
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Finding a used book store you've never been in. Realizing it's your dream store, at the end of a long driveway surrounded by untended rose and lily beds, with flourishing peonies and weeds, with cats wandering through the towering shelves of books that reach far over your head. Three stories in a renovated barn, with labyrinthine aisles and steep staircases with rickety railings. The smell of must and books that haven't been opened during your lifetime, being sold for a dollar a piece.
Oi, missus! That's my house, not a bookshop!

I assign to The Shire when they put Lord of the Rings references into Doctor Who. They have truly surpassed themselves with this last series and that just added a cherry on top of the cake....
Old 07-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #930
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lemonade on hot days.

Fireworks after a baseball game. Even if the game was phenomenally bad (my team lost 16-7, after making 9 errors!), it's lovely to sit in the outfield on an old sheet and watch explosions set to music.

Last edited by Orominuialwen; 07-01-2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: I just wanted to test out the new edit feature. :p
Orominuialwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:37 AM   #931
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
6 straight hours of cheerleading. It's nice to feel that you're doing something constructive (and actually exercising properly!) and so when you manage to get through almost all the routine and succeed in getting two stunts up within that it does leave you with a feeling of great satisfaction.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #932
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Captain Jack being the Face of Boe.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:42 AM   #933
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Mmmm, just Captain Jack (not of the Sparrow variety, though he is welcome too ). And a succession of visually appealing Timelords...

Errrr....

Old 07-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #934
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Being at home.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:19 PM   #935
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign going to a movie with a sibling - when the movie is actually good.

Our timing was just right, we gasped and breathed "Oh, cool!" at the same moments, laughed at the horrible dialogue together, sighed at the lame dialogue together, looked away and didn't laugh at the inappropriate dialogue together, and made up our own sequel happenings while we were walking out of the theater.

And the SFX in Transformers too. Wow. Cool. Mind-blazingly cool, I mean it.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:03 PM   #936
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Hmmm...your find sounds much more picturesque, but I just found a regular storefront edition not 5 miles from my house (but it does have cats -- I suppose necessary to keep the rodents from nibbling the treasures), operated by a feisty old lady who I believe has memorized each of the thousands of books crammed to the rafters. I found a folio copy of Duc de Berry's Les Tres Rich Heures in excellent condition (I'm a 14th century fanatique), a four-volume set of Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples, an early English translation edition of Hugo's Notre Dame de Paris, and various and sundry hardbound novels to replace tattered paperbacks (Huxley, Dee Brown, Orwell, T.H. White).

I came home excitedly with my finds, only to have my significant other roll her eyes and walk away mumbling something about my books spilling out of the study and encroaching on her living room space, the spare bedroom, the dining room and the first floor bathroom. She's so easily irritated.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:10 AM   #937
Bźthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
the catbird seat

Quote:
Finding a used book store you've never been in. Realizing it's your dream store, at the end of a long driveway surrounded by untended rose and lily beds, with flourishing peonies and weeds, with cats wandering through the towering shelves of books that reach far over your head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron
Hmmm...your find sounds much more picturesque, but I just found a regular storefront edition not 5 miles from my house (but it does have cats -- I suppose necessary to keep the rodents from nibbling the treasures), operated by a feisty old lady who I believe has memorized each of the thousands of books crammed to the rafters.

PS. Sorry for the size. I have tried to make this smaller, but somehow that ain't happening here.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:24 AM   #938
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bźthberry View Post

PS. Sorry for the size. I have tried to make this smaller, but somehow that ain't happening here.
Hmmm...it would seem this philosophical feline is deeply engrossed in his catechism.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:19 AM   #939
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I assign the covers on the Danish versions of Harry Potter, I really like them and I do so even more after seeing the American and English ones.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:18 AM   #940
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I assign summer holiday.

PS. Rune, how do you like the Finnish ones? They're quite... original and I can't say if I like them or not.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #941
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
1420!

ale,
bag-end,
the green dragon,
hobbit holes,
trees,
peace,
and you can't forget Hobbits!

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 08-02-2007 at 01:48 PM. Reason: adding
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #942
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

A long, leisurely Sunday breakfast shared with a good friend at the local diner.

Pancakes, eggs, sausage, crispy bacon, hashbrowns, biscuits covered in gravy, and bottomless cups of coffee with cream and sugar to wash it all down. Pleasant company, good conversation.....

Life is good, eh?

Old 08-06-2007, 05:37 AM   #943
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I second long breakfasts and the company of friends but (and I know it means something different that side of the pond) but biscuits covered in gravy still sounds incredibly revolting ..... at best it is something you might give a dog... but hten I'd quite happily eat Toad-in-the-hole

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:36 AM   #944
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sleep. Really, you cannot fully appreciate something you're used to until you stop getting enough of it.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #945
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Rain. We so need it.

Coming home from a two week vacation. Don't get me wrong, I had a wonderful vacation, but home, ah, well it's home.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:55 AM   #946
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Having one eye that is perfectly fine. Preferably two.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #947
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Unsolicited backrubs.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #948
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

If you were around, I'd give you one, but I have to disagree on it anyway. I find them painfull. They do releive headaches though.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #949
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I second sleep!

I also nominate good, fluffy, home-made biscuits with lots of butter and home-made peach-butter.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:40 PM   #950
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finduilas View Post
If you were around, I'd give you one, but I have to disagree on it anyway. I find them painfull.
I recommend the Raiders of the Lost Ark approach. "Well, goddamnit Indy, where doesn't it hurt??"
Old 08-14-2007, 11:18 PM   #951
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short View Post
Having one eye that is perfectly fine. Preferably two.

I'll have to second that, except with hip joints and legs.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:12 AM   #952
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign suspended classes. I know we'll suffer later because we have to make up for what we missed, but it's fun at the time all the same.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:02 AM   #953
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

I assign Freedom.

*waves small green, white, orange and blue flag*
Old 08-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #954
smeagollives
Animated Skeleton

smeagollives has just left Hobbiton.
i assign parties to the shire.
lots of good food, meeting in the morning for breakfast, having lunch and tea together at the same day
beer and cider
dancing a lot
all the people work in crafts and make fun of people who read to much
strawberries
a very very blue sky
rain outside a cup of tea inside
fiddles

uhm... and actually i assign chavs to the shire. i just imagine some of the hobbits to be like chavs. i have always thought pippin would have been a chav if he was born today.
smeagollives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:15 AM   #955
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Going shopping and finding exactly what you're looking for in the first shop you go in. Makes things so much easier.

Plus spending the day with friends, especially when you haven't seen them in a while.

Finally, the Simpsons Movie, 'cause I have now seen it 3 times and it made me laugh as much on the third viewing as it did on the first. Spider pig is gold.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:44 PM   #956
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
The first cool days at the end of summer.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:36 AM   #957
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
The first cool days at the end of summer.
You aren't in Britain then?

I assign cold, wet summers. Not only has it been much more comfortable than I expected/feared, but the Honeysuckle is covered in flowers because the constant rain has beaten the greenfly into submission. And Honeysuckle belongs in The Shire because it smells soooo good! Kind of like a mixture of warm cowsheds and sugar.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #958
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ducklings. They are so adorable. (Don't tell me it's the wrong time for this, it's my ducks fault, not mine.)
Old 08-30-2007, 10:42 PM   #959
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Spontaneous late-night outdoor singing. Being able to sit on pleasantly warm pavement and listen to someone sing and play songs they've written is lovely.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #960
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
The University of Copenhagen

(I got in. . .I don't know how)

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote