The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2008, 08:38 AM   #921
Parmastahir
Wight

Parmastahir has just left Hobbiton.
New Tolkien Calendar

Estelyn -

I didn't think that the lo-res images that I posted on my website would be of quality sufficient for your use. If so, fine. If not, I can email the hi-res files to you.

Discovered a new (previously unknown to me) Tolkien calendar: "Calendrier 2002 Tolkien". Issued in France and a unique format in my collection. Find it in the 2002 or French sections at:

www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
Old 02-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #922
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I've put my 35-year-old Ballantine's red-boxed paperback set to rest; having purchased a lovely black-boxed LotR set in Oxford last year, I still needed to replace my Hobbit. I am absolutely delighted with the HarperCollins paperback I got - it has Tolkien's original dustjacket illustration on the cover. Even the German bookshop saleslady who handed it to me (I was able to order it here with no delay and no problem!) thought it looks much nicer than any of the German translations of the book. It includes nine of Tolkien's own illustrations plus the maps. It also includes the first chapter of LotR at the end of the book - unnecessary in my case, but no harm done.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:43 AM   #923
Parmastahir
Wight

So Sorry!

Hi Estelyn -

Sorry to hear that you have retired your paperback boxset. I have collected a few of the paperback boxsets over the years (including a like new green one - the first boxset from Ballantine) and have first printings of those versions. My reading copies are a set which are dog-eared, wormholed (literally), paint splattered (another story), and taped together (on the spines as the covers were falling off). I can't bear to part with them even though I have other newer and nicer printings of the books. They are like old leather, soft and supple. No matter what copy you read, enjoy!

Parmastahir
Old 03-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #924
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Oh, I won't ever part with them - for sentimental reasons and the memories associated with them. But in order to be able to keep them for the coming years, I must stop using them on a daily basis. It's astonishing that they lasted this long - I think they used to make even paperbacks better than they bind books nowadays.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 03-11-2008, 05:40 AM   #925
Parmastahir
Wight

March CotM

Finally updated the Calendar of the Month for March at:

It's a new one (but not as explained in its entries) for 2008. Hope you enjoy it.

Parmastahir
Old 03-31-2008, 07:01 PM   #926
Parmastahir
Wight

April CotM

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature for April at:

Hope you like this one!

Parmastahir
Old 04-19-2008, 07:12 AM   #927
Parmastahir
Wight

1996 Ediciones Minotauro

Added a 1996 Ediciones Minotauro to the catalog at:

You can find it in the 1996 - 1998 and Spain listings.

Happy Spring to all!

Parmastahir
Old 05-03-2008, 08:51 AM   #928
Parmastahir
Wight

May CotM

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature for May at:

It's one that I only recently "discovered".

Parmastahir
Old 05-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #929
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles make a purchase

I'm pleased to announce my first purchase of a book written by Tolkien:
The Children of Hurin edited by Christopher Tolkien.

I'm kinda glad I waited a year, I got a hardback for under $20 US at a Target store.

Perhaps this will be my "gateway book" to more Tolkien works. I hope so.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:16 AM   #930
Parmastahir
Wight

Hello to All

It has been extraordinarily quiet on this thread over the summer. Just a note to see if anyone's around. In spite of the fact that I haven't posted since May, it seems a very short time since I did. Picked up a few calendars over the summer, and the 2009 calendars have started coming out.

Attended MythCon 39 in August. Got the 2009 Tolkien calendar from Ted Nasmith himself and he signed it for me. As he was there, I brought all of the calendars from my collection that he had illustrated and he signed them all for me. It was absolutely wonderful meeting him especially as he permitted us to use many of his works in the 2008 Heren Istarion (Northeast Tolkien Society) calendar.

Speaking of which, we are working to finalize the 2009 HI calendar. We are using illustrations from two new illustrators and Jef Murray has generously done up the cover for it. You will soon see it and ordering information on the herenistarion.org website. All proceeds benefit HI. Because of the 2008 calendar, HI has now made all memberships free.

Parmastahir
Old 10-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #931
Parmastahir
Wight

2009 Heren Istarion/Northeast Tolkien Society Calendar!

If interested, you can check out the 2009 Heren Istarion/Northeast Tolkien Society calendar at:

http://herenistarion.org

You can find a link to the calendar and ordering info in Main Menu (fourth item in the left-hand column.) Jef Murray has provided cover artwork and sketches. We have two new illustrators this year: Catherine (Kasiopea) Chmiel and Colin (Bungo) Williams. Kasiopea is a well-known illustrator from Poland. Bungo is an amateur (in name only!) from Australia.

I was so proud of the 2008 calendar that I was worried that the 2009 could not possibly live up to it . . . this in spite of the fact that I had lined up Kasia and Bungo as the illustrators (and love both of their works.) I need not have worried. I got a proof of it from my daughter last week and it looks GREAT! I am REALLY happy with it!!

Proceeds benefit HI/NETS. Last year's calendar was so popular that membership in HI/NETS is now free.

Parmastahir
Old 11-15-2008, 07:36 AM   #932
Parmastahir
Wight

2009 HI Calendar

My daughter and I printed the 2009 Heren Istarion / Northeast Tolkien Society calendar last evening. I will be getting the order list from Jessie & Anthony and posting very soon and posting them next week. So those that have ordered should see their calendars well before Christmas and the New Year.

I think it a wonderful creation (but I am biased in this matter!) Please consider ordering one (at http://herenistarion.org )for your use during the year (or collection of Tolkienalia.) This may be your only chance to see some of Colin William's illustrations. He is an amateur (in name only!) and his work is not well-known.

Thank you!

Parmastahir
Old 11-29-2008, 08:27 AM   #933
Parmastahir
Wight

Calendar Website Update

For those interested, I updated my website today with the seven 2009 calendars that I have been able to catalog/collect (so far!)

Parmastahir
Old 12-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #934
Parmastahir
Wight

New and Discovered

Updated my Tolkien calendar website with several new entries: a calendar of photos of New Zealand sites where the LotR movies were filmed; a recently discovered 1994 calendar based upon an iconic 1977 poster. Check them out at:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Parmastahir
Old 12-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #935
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Nice calendars as usually, Parmastahir!
Btw, do you know of any free downloadable calendars for 2009?
I remember a German guy did a nice one for 2008...
Old 12-20-2008, 07:30 AM   #936
Parmastahir
Wight

Nothing for poor Smeagol

Hello The Might -

Sorry. I have not discovered any downloadable calendars. But your question led me to put such a search on my "to do" list. One never knows what one will find when doing so. I think the downloadable one that you referred to was the 2007 from Bernd Huber, no?

If your finances have changed ;-) , you may wish to consider getting the 2009 HI/NETS calendar. It's not downloadable. It is a "real" calendar. Just a thought!

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you!

Parmastahir
Old 12-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #937
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sorry to be a downer (lol, a Downer ) Parmastahir, but unfortunately no change, so I guess I'll order the Nasmith HarperCollins one for 2009. It's available on German Amazon and it's fairly cheap at that. I mean, so is yours too actually, but adding the send fee it's a bit pricy for me.

EDIT: yes, it was Bernd Huber whom I had in mind.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #938
Parmastahir
Wight

Eponymous Thread

Hello The Might -

Loved the pun! Some people don't appreciate them. But I do!

As this thread is titled "The Collection Grows," it is appropriate to tell you (and others with an interest) of three calendars that I just received and entered on my website. Two (A3 and A4 size) are the annual offering from Colin Williams. The third is also from Mr. Williams. But it is his is first attempt at both full-color illustrations and subjects from LotR. Previously, all illustrations were pen and ink and depicted scenes from "The Hobbit." Colin was generous enough to allow me to feature illustrations from his previous calendars in the 2009 HI/NETS calendar.

Happy New Year to all!

Parmastahir
Old 01-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #939
Parmastahir
Wight

Dowloadable Calendar

Hey The Might!

Check out this downloadable calendar:

http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/calendar/calendar.htm

Don't know if it's what you're looking for. But it is interesting and (apparently) useful. Let me know if you do so. I'm curious about it.

Parmastahir
Old 01-25-2009, 04:52 PM   #940
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Hey everyone! Wow... it has been way too long since I've been on this site... all the people I used to talk to have stopped posting! Anyways - that was beside the point - I was wondering if anyone has gotten any killer deals on items since Lord of the Rings hype has died off in the real world? It's sad that the majority of them have moved on but I'm glad there is still a fairly large group of us who haven't (nor is ever likely to )

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #941
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Title #456

Oh, I forgot! My mom purchased an edition of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, which Tolkien edited, off Amazon. I can't wait to read his interpretation of the original Middle English. At the moment though, I'm still working through my collection of T.S. Eliot poems.

Last edited by Morai; 01-25-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Puncuation sins.
Morai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #942
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Tolkien Calendar 2009 with Ted Naismith
illustrations is quite good, far more
"accurate" and interesting then
the current movie Calendars.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #943
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
I am wishing I had purchased LOTR Risk, and maybe LOTR Monopoly, or some of the other spinoffs. But they seem to have largely disappeared. ANyone seen LOTR Risk cheap lately?

INstead I ended up with LOTR Trivial Pursuit and LOTR Backgammon.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #944
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
...and Stratego. I REALLY wish I'd bought LOTR Stratego.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #945
Parmastahir
Wight

LOTR Stratego

Just check out eBay (the world's garage sale.) You can find LOTR Stratego there easily. I checked two days ago. There were two auctions and one did not even sell. You could probably pick one up for less than original price if you're patient.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #946
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
LOTR Games

I wish I had picked up LOTR Risk and Trival Pursuit - but I did pick up LOTR Monopoly and checkers when it was around. It looks like we each have one thing the other doesn't mark12_30 :-)

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:27 AM   #947
Parmastahir
Wight

300!

With the addition of the 2009 Elendilion and Parmadili issues to my collection, I have now been able to catalog 300 Tolkien calendars. Thank you to everyone who has helped me discover and collect these. Your support is very much appreciated. You can discover them all at:

Parmastahir
Old 04-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #948
Parmastahir
Wight

New Tolkien Calendar Website!!

After talking about it for the longest time (almost a year and a half), I pushed my son to help me create my new website:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

He designed it when he was in college (fall of 2007.) I had registered the domain name before then. I found someone to host for it me, and got my son to map it to that server. He set up some templates, and I have been spending most of my free time over the last month transferring all of the content from the Angelfire site. I think it is now all there . . . and I have added some content. I am now creating pages with the monthly illustrations. I am using the photos that I shot for the many Calendar of the Month features. I have programmed four so far:

1969 Ken Rudolph

1986 Hobbit Presse

2002 Pocket

2003 Ronnie Sellers (postcard)

I have 23 more that I will create soon. You can access the monthly illustrations by clicking on the year/publisher (which is a green, underlined link for those entries.) Once I get all of those programmed, I will start creating new Calendar of the Month features. Those now appear on the homepage of the website. In this manner, I will someday get most (if not all) of the calendar illustrations documented.

The only thing I need him to add is a visit counter. Then I’ll abandon the Angelfire site. Actually, I think I’ll program a simple link that will take visitors to the new site.

Comments welcome!

Parmastahir
Old 04-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #949
Parmastahir
Wight

New Calendar of the Month

I posted a new CotM on:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is an interesting calendar in that it is not supposed to exist!

Parmastahir
Old 04-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #950
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

How interesting, Parmastahir! That is certainly unique as Middle-earth movie calendars go. The new site looks good, by the way...
Old 04-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #951
Parmastahir
Wight

CotM

Hello Estelyn -

Thanks for your comments. I am really happy with the new site (and need to abandon the old one.) It has so much space that I can now add the monthly illustrations. I know of a few sites (such as Rolozo Tolkien's) that have such pages. I have been using all of my spare time to create such pages.

I first learned of the 79 Hobbit calendar many years ago. It was included in a list of calendars compiled by Nancy Martsch et al (Beyond Bree.) A fellow collector sent me photos of magazine advertisements for it. The earlier ad announced its expected publication; the latter showed it would not be issued. I had removed an entry for it from my website based upon the latter . . . and the fact that it had not ever appeared anywhere. Then two years ago, a copy of it appeared on eBay. Two others have materialized since then.

I hope you continue to enjoy the new site.

Parmastahir
Old 05-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #952
Parmastahir
Wight

New Calendar of the Month

Hello to all -

It has been a while (OK, a long while.) But I have reinstituted the Calendar of the Month feature on my new website:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

The CotM for May is the 2009 Middle-earth New Zealand calendar. My intent is to post these for a month, then create a permanent page upon which to display them. The monthly illustrations from almost all of the previous CotM features can now be found throughout the many entries. Hope you enjoy this one.

Parmastahir
Old 05-31-2009, 07:38 PM   #953
Parmastahir
Wight

June CotM

Created a new Calendar of the Month for June on the homepage of:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is probably appropriate given all of the talk about The Hobbit movie. Hope you enjoy it.

Parmastahir

Last edited by Parmastahir; 05-31-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Parmastahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:26 AM   #954
Parmastahir
Wight

July CotM

Created a new Calendar of the Month for July on the homepage of:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is a VERY rare calendar, and one this unique in my collection because of the format. Hope you enjoy it and comments welcome!

Parmastahir
Old 08-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #955
Parmastahir
Wight

CotM for August

Created a new Calendar of the Month for August on the homepage of:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is a rather rare calendar (at least in its original envelope.) Hope you enjoy it and comments welcome!

Parmastahir
Old 09-05-2009, 05:22 AM   #956
Parmastahir
Wight

September CotM

Created a new Calendar of the Month for September on:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope you like this one!

Happy end of Summer to all.

Parmastahir
Old 09-24-2009, 03:05 AM   #957
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I only just discovered this thread, and am delighted by all these lovely Tolkien-calendars on Parmastahir's homepage. Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 10-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #958
Parmastahir
Wight

Thanks!

Hullo Guinevere -

Thanks for visiting and for your compliment! You are more than welcome for me "sharing" although I created the website to catalog the calendars for myself (and a handful of fellow fanatics!) I am pleased that you enjoyed it.

Parmastahir
Old 11-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #959
Parmastahir
Wight

Novembre CotM

Hello to all -

Updated the Calendar of the Month for Novembre (not a typo!) at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope you enjoy it. Also, added a page (which is very much under construction still) for the 2010 issues that have started coming out.

Parmastahir
Old 12-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #960
Parmastahir
Wight

Decmber CotM

Hello to all -

Update the December Calendar of the Month on:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Happy Holidays to everyone!