The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2015, 11:54 AM   #1801
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
But which answer are you confirming?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #1802
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Yours and Nerwen's.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #1803
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
But which was right mine or Nerwen's !!!

Old 05-03-2015, 01:45 PM   #1804
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
You. It says 'I'. If it were Lalaith, it would say 'he'

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:54 PM   #1805
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Anyone up for a new riddle? Legate perhaps?
Old 06-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #1806
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sorry I forgot about this though I did start a new riddle. I will try to polish it tomorrow if no one beats me to it (Werewolf a bit tense just now)

Old 06-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #1807
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Anyone up for a new riddle? Legate perhaps?
If Mith posts a new one, I will be very happy to return to the good ol' riddling habit by starting to guess. It'll be nice, haven't been around here in a long while.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #1808
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ooh! I love this thread! Good to see it back up!

(And Hey Miggy! Good to see you again!)
Old 06-09-2015, 06:25 AM   #1809
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Proper riddle needs more work so if you don't mind having more of a cryptic clue to get the ball rolling:

Cast a filthy look in German's direction to find place of greater safety (in theory at least).

Old 06-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #1810
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
To get it going...

Aglarond? I realize that it doesn't fully fit, but it's as good as any for starters.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:06 PM   #1811
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

No, but I think you are on the right lines with one element of the clue. And it would really, really help if I didn't have a Brainstorm and get languages mixed up.... sorry... more haste, less speed, and seriously rubbish clues... but no doubt after this Ost in Edhil will feature somewhere at a later date... I am going to hide under a rock now and cry...

Cast a filthy look in French direction to find place of greater safety (in theory at least).

Last edited by Mithalwen; 06-09-2015 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Update clue
Old 06-09-2015, 09:00 PM   #1812
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
No, but I think you are on the right lines with one element of the clue. And it would really, really help if I didn't have a Brainstorm and get languages mixed up.... sorry... more haste, less speed, and seriously rubbish clues... but no doubt after this Ost in Edhil will feature somewhere at a later date... I am going to hide under a rock now and cry...

Cast a filthy look in French direction to find place of greater safety (in theory at least).

Hmm, only Sud and Est seem fit for use in Tolkien...

Eglarest?
Old 06-10-2015, 01:58 AM   #1813
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yep. That is the one. Eglarest was a haven, but since it was attacked not so safe...

Old 06-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #1814
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Just worked out Eglarest, but scrolled down and it's already there! I might not have got 'glare' on my own, anyway.

Nice riddle Mith, and well done G55.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #1815
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
Just worked out Eglarest, but scrolled down and it's already there! I might not have got 'glare' on my own, anyway.

Nice riddle Mith, and well done G55.
If you have a riddle in mind, go for it. I'm busy these days, and as usual I didn't think before answering, so I don't have anything prepared and it will take me a few days and some brain-wrecking to come up with something. So if you have an idea, go for it.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #1816
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I don't, I'm afraid. I think bits of my last password are still unsolved, though.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:36 PM   #1817
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Very slapdash, and probably ridiculously easy, but I have a moment so I thought I'd better post something...

A four-legged creature
Of the green field
Serves two-legged creature
Of the grey stone.

They walk together in war;
In peace each runs his own way.
Who's the Two? Who's the Four?
Can you say?
Old 06-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #1818
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I think your greater knowledge of The Silmarillion is probably at the heart of why I can't solve this yet.

Huan and Beren might work if the Silmaril had just fallen in some grey mud. It's the grey stone that has me stumped.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #1819
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Very slapdash, and probably ridiculously easy, but I have a moment so I thought I'd better post something...

A four-legged creature
Of the green field
Of the grey stone.

They walk together in war;
In peace each runs his own way.
Can you say?
I can't help wonder if it is Rohan (represented by the flag of a white horse (four legs) on a green field) which owes fealty to the king/steward (two legs) of Gondor (Stoningland to the Rohirrim) since the settlement of Calenardhon and Cirion and Eorl's agreement.

In war they fight together and in peace govern independently

Old 06-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #1820
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I am equally unsure on first sight. Let me just throw in an idea so that somebody could pick up on that, even... I keep thinking of some weird flag of Rohan on which there is a Troll sitting on top of the horse.

EDIT: I see I cross-posted with Mith, who seems to be thinking along the similar lines, but certainly making more sense. That could be it.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #1821
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

No Silmarillion here, only Third Age stuff. Legate and Mith are both pretty close, but not quite dead centre (though the troll on the Rohan flag is so hilarious I have to give it full points for humour ). Now looking at it, the riddle might be a bit too blurry in that regard, but I'll let you guess a couple more times before I give hints. I think you can get it.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:42 AM   #1822
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I did think of Stoningland, but I was trying to find named horses in Gondor and drew a blank. Thought of trolls and dwarves too - and Durin's Stone - but couldn't find any horses to connect with a dwarf (often a worker in stone) except Arod and Gimli, which didn't seem to work. Arod is a horse of Rohan, which fulfils the green fields bit, but Gimli didn't ride Arod alone. Still ....

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-12-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:21 AM   #1823
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I did think of Stoningland, but I was trying to find named horses in Gondor and drew a blank. Thought of trolls and dwarves too - and Durin's Stone - but couldn't find any horses to connect with a dwarf (often a worker in stone) except Arod and Gimli, which didn't seem to work. Arod is a horse of Rohan, which fulfils the green fields bit, but Gimli didn't ride Arod alone. Still ....
Very very close. So far, both parts of the answer were both named, but separately. I'll give the answer to the person who groups them together correctly.

For clarification, because the riddle is a bit vague on this - only one of the creatures is a specific individual. The other is not.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #1824
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Did I kill it? You guys practically had the answer, you know.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:27 AM   #1825
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Forlong the Fat and his horse, because the latter would only consent to carry him at times of great need, ie war?

But seriously, maybe a soldier of Gondor (Stoningland) who normally just manned the citadel, riding a horse (possibly of Rohan) during the war?

Beregond on a steed of no particular name? I had thought for a moment he was not at the Last Battle because he was being held pending trial, but of course he was - he was with Pippin and was overborne by the troll. And after the war he went to serve Faramir in Ithilien.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #1826
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:

Quote:
Forlong the Fat and his horse, because the latter would only consent to carry him at times of great need, ie war?

But seriously, maybe a soldier of Gondor (Stoningland) who normally just manned the citadel, riding a horse (possibly of Rohan) during the war?

Beregond on a steed of no particular name? I had thought for a moment he was not at the Last Battle because he was being held pending trial, but of course he was - he was with Pippin and was overborne by the troll. And after the war he went to serve Faramir in Ithilien.
Ok... the Four-legged creature is obviously a horse. You name the Two-legged creature in your first answer (quoted above in my post) but not the second.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #1827
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Durin on a horse?
Old 06-26-2015, 02:52 PM   #1828
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Durin on a horse?
Very very close. Wrong dwarf.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #1829
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Gimli on a horse. You said it was Third Age, I remember. I just thought that I'd already said Gimli on Arod, so it wouldn't be that.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #1830
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
lol, I think I know.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #1831
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Unless it's Gimli perched on Bill The Pony as they descend Caradhras. But Bill didn't go to war, and Gimli isn't exactly going to war at that point.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #1832
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Okay, I didn't want to snipe the thread if I'm right, plus I'm not sure I'm clever enough to compose a new riddle, but:

Eomer to Gimli: "My horse Firefoot will bear us both."
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #1833
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Gimli on a horse.
Bravo!

The two closest answers prior to this was the Gimli on Arod answer and the Rohan flag answer. I invite you to recall a somewhat different quote (though good find and good try, Firefoot! The quote was a witty answer, albeit not the one I was looking for. Let this not deter you from doing more riddles!):

Quote:
But he chose a cap of iron and leather that fitted well upon his round head; and a small shield he also took. It bore the running horse, white upon green, that was the emblem of the House of Eorl.
'May it keep you well!' said Théoden. 'It was made for me in Thengel's day, while still I was a boy.'
Gimli bowed. 'I am proud, Lord of the Mark, to bear your device,' he said. 'Indeed sooner would I bear a horse than be borne by one. I love my feet better. But, maybe, I shall come yet where I can stand and fight.'
Here is the full explanation:

A four-legged creature
Of the green field
- a horse
Of the grey stone.
- Gimli the Dwarf

They walk together in war; - indeed, as Gimli carries his shield with the Rohan emblem during the main battles
In peace each runs his own way. - it's a hard task, getting a Dwarf to ride a horse
Can you say?
- certainly, as Pervinca did.

The reason I had an issue with the answers for horses was that it's not a specific horse, like I mentioned somewhere, but just the animal. Maybe I was too nitpicky. But well done, Pervinca! The floor is yours!
Old 06-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #1834
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nice quotation! And nice logic. I don't think I really solved it, because I didn't realise/remember Gimli's shield. 'Gimli and a horse' is the answer really, and I said 'Gimli on a horse.'

So Gimli would rather bear a horse than be borne by one? I can imagine an Erebor version of the Highland Games: horse-carrying in the place of caber-tossing! Only the toughest, strongest dwarves would be allowed to enter!

Would someone else like to take the floor? I don't really have time to compose a riddle and check the thread for the next couple of days.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #1835
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Nice quotation! And nice logic. I don't think I really solved it, because I didn't realise/remember Gimli's shield. 'Gimli and a horse' is the answer really, and I said 'Gimli on a horse.'

So Gimli would rather bear a horse than be borne by one? I can imagine an Erebor version of the Highland Games: horse-carrying in the place of caber-tossing! Only the toughest, strongest dwarves would be allowed to enter!

Would someone else like to take the floor? I don't really have time to compose a riddle and check the thread for the next couple of days.
Hi Pervinca Yes, okay, I'm happy to
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:04 PM   #1836
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tall One, Handsome One, comely so we see
yet Children, some would say, both can and cannot be begot of He
Lofty Lord to Those, yet not so to These, why say three times three?
1200 times the Summer of the Sun - some would say disease
Arousal then, the Might of Men, Surrender to Elven Vanity
Yet it seems such fun, and such splendour for the Elven Tree,
because, odd is the even of 300 and why does this mean 1500 for every--one!
Disease again, yet, nay still not seen by anyone
and still not even for ninety summer suns beyond the 1500 for everyone
But look again--tall ships and tall kings--and again--three times three--
What Orc would put that upon a pike? Nay, this cannot be!
Is it not a head, for of the body it was, of Elven Vanity
Who of course, is that supposed to mean?
Can someone explain this to me?
So why say 'it's the gate into the day, not dawned, beyond the night'?
And then, what brought they from the foundered land?
Over the flowing sea?
Nay--not yet seven stars and seven stones
and Nay -- not yet one white tree

Last edited by Ivriniel; 06-27-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #1837
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

ps - I dunno if I over or under-pitched it. Is it too obscure, or too easy? Seemed easy and obvious when I wrote it, but I re-read it five hours later and I'm like 'erm...maybe it's too hard'.

I'll give clues if it's too hard It was fun to write tho
Old 07-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #1838
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'd say it's pretty cryptic, but we love challenges here, don't we? Can't yet make head or tail of it, but the numbers obviously refer to annals in a Tale of Years (which I can't check ATM, posting from work), and the thing about an Orc putting something on a pike reminds me of Sauron's army bearing Celebrimbor's body on a pike as their banner. Need to ruminate further.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:47 AM   #1839
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
I'd say it's pretty cryptic, but we love challenges here, don't we? Can't yet make head or tail of it, but the numbers obviously refer to annals in a Tale of Years (which I can't check ATM, posting from work), and the thing about an Orc putting something on a pike reminds me of Sauron's army bearing Celebrimbor's body on a pike as their banner. Need to ruminate further.
Hey there

Pitchwife was a great character and linden avery's repair of him one of most memorable feats

Yes - annals of time it certainly is which should make the riddle pretty easy. The questions in riddle are things I reckoned to ask about

And - u bet - the celebrimbor head on pike is right on for that bit

Cheers to u
Old 07-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #1840
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I wonder if the 'He' of line two might be Aule - he both could and couldn't beget the dwarves, so to speak.