The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2006, 04:33 AM   #641
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots Seconding.

Quote:
You spot Downer lookalikes on your way to school. I regularly see my Eomer and Orominuialwen lookalikes. (daga'y)
Heh, in youth church I often see Aimč, Hookbill, and Menel.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:51 AM   #642
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
You can help hysterical laughing when you read the following passage from LotR:
Quote:
Gandalf's eyes flashed. 'It will be my time to get angry soon', he said. 'If you say that again, I shall. Then you will see Gandalf the Grey uncloaked.' He took a step towards the hobbit, and he seemed to grow tall and menacing; his shadow filled the little room.
But it's translated to Finnish: "Then you will see Gandalf the Grey face to face." and that's not half as funny as the English one...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:08 AM   #643
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
You're addicted...

...when your best friends are 'Downers you've never met.

...when the love of your life is a 'Downer you'd never met. (coughlalwendeanddavemcough)

...when you go away on vacation without internet access for a weekend, and you can't stop thinking that you should've posted that brilliant crazy caption before you left, because while you're away someone will either take your caption or change the picture!

Okay, so maybe that last one is just paranoia.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:11 AM   #644
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
You can help hysterical laughing when you read the following passage from LotR:
Quote:
Gandalf's eyes flashed. 'It will be my time to get angry soon', he said. 'If you say that again, I shall. Then you will see Gandalf the Grey uncloaked.' He took a step towards the hobbit, and he seemed to grow tall and menacing; his shadow filled the little room.
But it's translated to Finnish: "Then you will see Gandalf the Grey face to face." and that's not half as funny as the English one...
Ah, but seeing Gandalf face to face while he's uncloaked... that must be something.

You're addicted to the Barrow-Downs when you clean your desk and everywhere you look, you find pieces of paper, envelopes, old magazines and whatnot filled with scribblings such as LotR p. 615, Isildur IIIII I, #340 or Gurthang -> Nonnacedak. (I just recently found my notes from WW2. It was pretty cute. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
You know you're addicted to the barrow downs when you compulsively hit refresh and you're not even playing werewolf...
Or when you compulsively hit refresh although you are the only member online...
Old 03-29-2006, 02:54 AM   #645
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing spawn
Or when you compulsively hit refresh although you are the only member online...
...something only we from weird time zones understand...
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:59 AM   #646
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
...something only we from weird time zones understand...
Not so Lhuna. I've been the only member here a few times. Try coming online at 2am GMT, it's like a graveyard.

You know you're addicted to the Downs when your mum has been tidying up all round the computer and there is now a whole box full of various pieces of paper with notes from WW games, or Palantir quotes, or just general random information that you can barely remember the use of!
Old 03-29-2006, 11:53 AM   #647
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing spawn of ungoliant
Ah, but seeing Gandalf face to face while he's uncloaked... that must be something.

Does give a rather wierd mental image considering that normally Gandalf is twice the size of a hobbit - maybe uncloaking makes him shrink..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:14 PM   #648
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh, and, when you read a book and the whole way through misread the main characters name as Cailín rather than Carlin every time, and only realise the mistake when someone else is talking about Carlin and you have no idea who they mean!
Old 03-30-2006, 05:24 PM   #649
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
You know you're addicted to the Downs, when your variable piles of A4-papers (I'm not sure, whether this is an international standard, but I think so) that should be your working papers, come up, time after time, infected with sheets of a RPG or WW copies - with all those addenda, made by a ballpoint pen, sometimes being so small (because of the lack of free space), that you can't read them anymore...

and also:

You know you're addicted to the Downs, when you find out, that after being killed in a WW, the RPG having a stalemate and in the GD you are waiting for an answer, you just wonder, that you have so much work to do in so little time (RL) - and kind of wonder, how did you manage, when you were playing the WW, when you were due a post to the RPG and the GD just called for your post...

So much fun, I say, being addicted.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:48 PM   #650
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

You know you're addicted The Barrow Downs when you're like this...

Enough said.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:30 PM   #651
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
You know you're addicted when...

You snatch every chance you can to get online at work, just to check on the progess of a Werewolf game, even though diddling around on a forum is NOT what you're supposed to be doing.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:10 PM   #652
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
...when you go away on vacation without internet access for a weekend, and you can't stop thinking that you should've posted that brilliant crazy caption before you left, because while you're away someone will either take your caption or change the picture!
Nah, when I go on vacation I wonder if I won't just happen to meet a random Downer. No luck yet...

When on the rare occasions you happen to wake up in the middle of the night (like 3 a.m. my time) and decide to wander over to the computer and just to see what Downers are on at that time of night.
Quote:
you debate with a person you don't really actually even know about the text color of the forum.
Or about the color of the smilies. <- this guy is mostly blue, sort of aqua <- this guy is definitely green.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:04 PM   #653
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Rolling eyes man is yellow!
Old 04-02-2006, 07:45 AM   #654
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
When you even go on walks to see Barrows!

It was not foggy, but there was bright sunshine, gales, hail and rain all at the same time and we had to shelter under the embankment of Arbor Low. Bizarrely, one side of the ditch was dry and I was able to sit on the ground, nice and warm, whereas if I stood up I almost got blown off my feet - but the Barrow Wight did not appear.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:09 AM   #655
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
When your RL friends know of certain 'Downers by name and sometimes location though they have no interest in Tolkien or his work, it perhaps goes to show that your hobbies have infiltrated your daily life.

"What do you mean you don't know much about Catholic dogma?" she asked, surprised that she'd asked a random question and I didn't actually know the answer. Brainwave! "Can't you ask that guy? What's his name... the Canadian one. PM him."

"Why do you keep hitting refresh?" she asked in my dorm room, irritated because my mind is on things I've not disclosed, rather than on the conversation I'm almost having with her.

"I'm waiting for a response." I reply simply, irritated that I'm not multi-tasking as efficiently as usual: she actually noticed that I'm doing like ten things at once.

"Oh, did you send that draft to LMP, then?" She figured it out.

"What do you mean mormegil helped get you killed?" she asked in the middle of campus on our way to the post office by way of a large group of lacrosse players. Stares ensued, though perhaps that had more to do with me tripping over my own foot, my flip flop mysteriously flying away, me chasing it, spinning excitedly (due to non-wolvery) and nearly falling over again, all when completely sober. "Oooh, next time you're up against him, you should kill him. What's he thinking. Him and Boro... So what if the Seer dreamt of you! They should have let you live. I was living vicariously through you!"

"You could always register and play." I offered. It would be fun to play a game against someone I'm with every day.

"No!" she responded really quickly. "The phantom would kill me."

"Of course he wouldn't. He hasn't played lately. He's been busy." My logic was infallible.

"Then TORE would. You remember when the two of you almost pulled off that trick in WWJ. He's smart! Or Nogrod would kill me. I'm quiet and nobody knows me. They'd kill me to simplify things." A dean walked by with the president of the school. They politely pretended not to hear.

"Somebody actually bothered debating the existence of good and evil with you? Oh, it was Eomer. Never mind." She rolled her eyes and changed the subject deftly to that paper we should have written while I was busy explaining the non-existence of social constructs.

Maybe I should get a life.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:16 AM   #656
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
it perhaps goes to show that your hobbies have infiltrated your daily life.
Or indeed, Hobbits.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:21 AM   #657
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

I'm in Mordor, anyway...

While watching the local version of the Big Brother show one boring night, I found two people tasked to name 50 eggs (among others), and right away I began reciting names of BDers.

I wonder how those 50 people I came up with would feel...

On a more serious note, you know you're addicted when you and your mom had a Downs-related argument, and out of her earshot - and your sheer annoyance at her stubbornness - you mutter, "I'm definitely siding with Fea now." You even contemplated sending her to Mordor...

...nah! *hugs mom*

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 04-03-2006 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:39 AM   #658
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sign #6.498

You know your addicted when you stay up until 2:30am every other night for a week, just so you can be on the Downs for a Werewolf game.

Nice that it was Spring Break so that I could sleep in at least.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:20 PM   #659
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
When your brother contacts you on MSN because you have not posted on the Downs for four days (stalker!)

And when you admit to not having time for the Barrowdowns presently, he says (and I quote) "Wha? There's always time for the Downs!"

In short: when you are so addicted that it somehow has passed on to a brother who does not even have an account here.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:30 PM   #660
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
When your RL friends know of certain 'Downers by name and sometimes location though they have no interest in Tolkien or his work, it perhaps goes to show that your hobbies have infiltrated your daily life.
On a related note, when your sister (who doesn't even visit this site) asks you what your RP characters have been up to lately and what the RP characters of other Downers (identified by name) have been doing.

When your other sister walks up to you whenever you're on the computer and says "Let me guess. The Barrow-Downs." And she's usually right!

When a major motivation for you to register your Pocket PC with the university computer services department is so that you can check the Downs on any slow moment during your workday, even if the screen is too tiny to post efficiently. And when you're annoyed with the new site where you're working, even though it's a really nice place, because it doesn't provide a wireless network for said activity.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:55 PM   #661
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

When your mother's incentive for you to do a certain task in her office is giving you time to spend on her computer...

...you know what comes next.

Geesh, mothers. They're so confusing.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #662
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

When your dad insists you need to break your addiction to 'that Lord of the Rings site', and you argue that you have no addiction. Why, I could stop coming here tomarrow, if I wanted to! No, really, I could!

... ... ...

Ok, I'm hopelessly addicted. But I like it that way!
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #663
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

When your dad understood so little of the conversation you had with him regarding werewolves and various forum members that he almost joined just to be able to know what you're talking about!

Poor guy
Old 04-07-2006, 01:27 AM   #664
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
When your dad understood so little of the conversation you had with him regarding werewolves and various forum members that he almost joined just to be able to know what you're talking about!

Poor guy
I one talked to my dad about Werewolf, too, and he barely understood it! He didn't say anything about joining though.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:34 PM   #665
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
When you try to log in to your university accounts using your Downs screen name. And it takes you several failed attempts before you realize what's wrong.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #666
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
When you almost post in the new werewolves game to yell at everyone. Almost.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:40 PM   #667
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
When your week is going so insane you don't know if you have time to sleep...and you join WW anyway. With full intentions of spending far too much time on it.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:54 AM   #668
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I've actually started worrying about myself - seriously - for going onto other websites before BDs when I come on the internet. Could myspace possibly be more addictive than Downsing?
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:06 AM   #669
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
I've actually started worrying about myself - seriously - for going onto other websites before BDs when I come on the internet. Could myspace possibly be more addictive than Downsing?
Do we have a doctor on board? It's an emergency.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:53 AM   #670
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
Do we have a doctor on board? It's an emergency.
I'm not sure if we have, but he could be given therapy.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:55 AM   #671
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I give in. It's green. I tried copypasting it on a white page. *sigh* It looked so light buish turqoise!

Well, it's turqoiseish green...
Old 06-07-2006, 07:52 AM   #672
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

When you stay up almost all night planning future games for the Barrow Downs!
That’s how the Mount Zoom Challenge came about as well as others I have planned Muhahaha!

Also,

You know you're addicted when you wonder if wearing a Saucepan on your head makes you more intelligent.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:03 AM   #673
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
When you receive the most massive mobile phone* bill ever...because you were trying to download the Barrowdowns onto it, while on holiday in France, via its hideously expensive internet facility, to see if the wolves in DWWW had succeeded in getting you lynched. Particularly annoying because the pages never downloaded properly so I had to get someone back in the UK to log on for me, in the end...

* Translator's note for Yanks: cell-phone
Old 06-13-2006, 02:46 PM   #674
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

When a 'downer who has just returned to the 'downs from a long (half a year?) pause tells you in MSN: "You're a lot more active in the 'downs than before I left."

And: Your first two weeks of summer holiday consist 90% of BD.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:59 PM   #675
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
And: Your first two weeks of summer holiday consist 90% of BD.
I'm on 98%
Old 06-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #676
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
I'm on 98%
I'd be 99% if I didn't sleep...
Old 06-15-2006, 10:42 PM   #677
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

When five years after hating a book with passion, you read it - and actually enjoy it. Or them, for that matter. And one of the reasons you even considered reading them is to be able to understand an RPG character. This is partly your fault, Anguirel.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:23 PM   #678
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
When five years after hating a book with passion, you read it - and actually enjoy it.
Mwahahaha! Gotcha Glad you enjoyed it though.

I'd say have the 'Downs as first port of call on a procrastination spree is a good sign of addiction.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:51 AM   #679
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Mwahahaha! Gotcha Glad you enjoyed it though.
Oh, thanks for reminding me. You're to blame, too.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:29 PM   #680
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up I know this joke is getting REALLY old now...

You are defiantly addicted to the mirth part of these good forums when you can't help but laugh heartily at this part of The Lord of the Rings films:
Click, if you dare!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No power here gandalf the grey.jpg (37.3 KB, 328 views)