The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 10:59 AM   #481
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
Mith:

If you are speaking to me, then....I wish I could stay in Aragorn's court. I never liked Elrond, or any of that elvish stuff, I guess I'll just start writing bad posts to get negative reps.

I was ..... but I think you may be slipping in to character too much here - if not I may have to make you take a twelve step programme "learning to like elves" ..

Oh or do you just want a neg rep .....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 01-23-2005, 11:46 AM   #482
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Finwe-89 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Finwe-89
Ok good, now I have 37 reputations points! Tnx for the ones who gave me the points

*Crabs a potato*

*Throws, and HITS*

HA! Take that old man!

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Old 01-23-2005, 12:42 PM   #483
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Being a wet blanket..

While I am intrigued by the levels titles, and wonder what will happen now that Fordim has five shiny jewels alongside the five plain ones, I have to say I really don't think this is the place for members to broadcast their own rep in terms of actual points. As far as I know that is information that is only available to the member and, to my mind should stay that way. Similarly I would not like to see the thresholds for the various levels made explicit.

I guess it may because I had a certain type of British upbringing but I feel it is as vulgar as bragging about how rich you are..... and by quantifying it in such precise terms it does make it seem very competitive.

The rep system acts as a guide and encouragement. Most people use it positively. Generally it seems to me good posts get rewarded and a lean spell means that a bit more effort is required. I think it is quite clever the way the system is weighted. If I get repped by one of the high-rollers, I am pleased because it is an honour to be recognised by someone who has earned the respect of the community, not because it will get me more points. To turn it in to a points grubbing exercise devalues the whole thing. The thoughtful comment of someone whose rep carries no points is not valueless.

Now I will stop sermonising.....

Old 01-25-2005, 12:08 PM   #484
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Saphy has a question.

Saphy was wondering if the rep points one gets on a post get nullified or removed if the thread your post is in gets deleted. Saphy has actually been wondering about that for a while.

[Saphy evidently is turning into a Gollum, and thus must refer to herself in third person.]

Saphy must now leave to chase after Takua with a rusty spork.

~ Saphy ~
Old 01-25-2005, 01:06 PM   #485
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I do know that if you delete a post you keep the rep whether good or bad. I once posted something, received a pm that seem to "blast" it and was shattered enough to delete it almost immediately. However someone else seized that brief window of opportunity to positively rep it... and so I felt a fraud for having got points on something I hadn't been brave enough to keep on the forum. Perhaps we should have an "honesty box" to return points we feel we have got in such circumstances....... On the other hand, I once got neg rep for a post which on second looks was a complete non-sequitur - I think I had replied to the wrong forum in error - and in my shame I deleted it (obviously it didn't spoil the flow of the thread). And the neg rep stayed too.

So I guess once you have got it, you keep it ... but I may be quite wrong....

Old 01-25-2005, 04:30 PM   #486
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dūm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

Abercrombie has another question, what does it mean if you get a gray reputation?
(It's ok Saphy you're not alone.)
Old 01-25-2005, 04:40 PM   #487
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
It means that the person who repped you had under 50 posts or not enough rep points of their own to give. Basically, they meant well, but it didn't really count. See the Wight's post on specifications on reps for more info if you want. EDIT: See this one also, BW had a mistake in his first one which he corrected here.

Last edited by Lindolirian; 01-25-2005 at 04:42 PM. Reason: add link
Old 01-25-2005, 06:06 PM   #488
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dūm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry AbercrombieOfRohan that might have been me. The other day after I responded to your haiku riddle my finger slipped and I might have accidently clicked something (new laptop, I'm still not used to it). If it was me I'm sorry for confusing you (maybe as compensation I'll give you a real rep point as soon as I can )
Old 01-25-2005, 06:19 PM   #489
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dūm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

Ok thanks. Yah I think it was you Shelob but don't worry it's ok. You weren't the only one... newbies...
Old 01-25-2005, 07:12 PM   #490
Bźthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I do know that if you delete a post you keep the rep whether good or bad. I once posted something, received a pm that seem to "blast" it and was shattered enough to delete it almost immediately. However someone else seized that brief window of opportunity to positively rep it... and so I felt a fraud for having got points on something I hadn't been brave enough to keep on the forum. Perhaps we should have an "honesty box" to return points we feel we have got in such circumstances....... On the other hand, I once got neg rep for a post which on second looks was a complete non-sequitur - I think I had replied to the wrong forum in error - and in my shame I deleted it (obviously it didn't spoil the flow of the thread). And the neg rep stayed too.

So I guess once you have got it, you keep it ... but I may be quite wrong....
In regards to deleted posts... If you ever change your mind, Mithalwen, you could always contact the moderator of the forum and ask for the post to be reinstatted. With the new software, a deleted post is still visible to a moderate, who can restore it.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:12 PM   #491
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bźthberry
With the new software, a deleted post is still visible to a moderate, who can restore it.
Interesting. . .what, then, does a radical see? The post as it might have appeared to someone from a different forum? Does an extremist see it as he or she believes it should appear? Perhaps reactionaries see only the first post of the thread? Do anarchists see only a mess of randomy generated words taken from the post?
Old 01-25-2005, 10:45 PM   #492
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Conservatives see what the post would have looked like a hundred years ago.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:33 AM   #493
Bźthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bźthberry
With the new software, a deleted post is still visible to a moderate, who can restore it.

Interesting. . .what, then, does a radical see? The post as it might have appeared to someone from a different forum? Does an extremist see it as he or she believes it should appear? Perhaps reactionaries see only the first post of the thread? Do anarchists see only a mess of randomy generated words taken from the post?
tsk, tsk. Fordim, I would have thought that a member of your repute as well as reputation would not go so off-topic. Surely my typo belongs on Merendis's thread of Misplaced Homonymns.

More seriously, my posts have been messy of late, and few and far between. I am having monitor and other computer problems, and in fact cannot read BD at all against the black background unless I go to "printable version" or highlight posts. And even then my screen is reflecting so much from elsewhere in the room, no matter what lighting I use that it is akin to watching myself in a mirror as I write. there has to be some weird literary metaphor in that which you can play with!

And it is almost impossible to read what I am writing as I post. I suppose my lesson is that I should remember to go back and highlight each post, to check so that Professor Hedgethistle won't dock marks for me.

Last edited by Bźthberry; 01-26-2005 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Hi ho hi ho it's off to typos I go
Old 01-26-2005, 12:38 PM   #494
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Thanks BB - I did eventually post a rehash, which while it was less 'stream of consciousness than the original' (whose critic had chastised me for not upholding the hight standard of punctuation of the downs), was also less powerful. So I partially expiated my guilt.

Old 01-26-2005, 02:50 PM   #495
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Finwe-89 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Finwe-89
Well, I think everybody deserves a rep. Cause it's very cool to have a lot of Tolkien/LOTR fans around on a forum like this. So I'd love to give everybody a point, but there are too many members

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Old 01-26-2005, 06:28 PM   #496
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hmm - I just got an anonymous negative rep from someone who "agreed with my point".

Which leads me to wonder whether it's a common occurrence for people to accidentally click on "disapprove" instead of "approve" (or viece versa). Have others ever experienced this, or perhaps realized that they've accidentally given the wrong kind of rep?
Old 01-27-2005, 12:33 AM   #497
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
I've got positive comments on negative rep twice (if I remember correctly) in my experience. I suppose I know why too - the dot keeps marked the option one used last time. So, if anyone rated anyone negative, and than haven't paid heed to where the dot is, several following ratings may come out negative as well, whatever intentions

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
Old 01-28-2005, 02:24 PM   #498
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Six green shinies

So Prof Hedgethistle has scaled new heights and no doubt SpM is not far behind ... can the summit be far away for the Hillary and Tensing of our ranks? Or will they merely cahnge colour....

Old 01-28-2005, 02:34 PM   #499
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ah, congrats, Fordim! Looks like it's off to the Blessed Realm for you!

*sniff* We'll miss you here on the hither shore of mortal lands...
Old 01-28-2005, 02:51 PM   #500
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oooh I never even looked....... *sings (stephen oliver setting)*"To long, has he dwellt upon this hither shore, and in a faaaaaaaaading crown has twined the golden Elanor......."

Maybe should substitute James cook and Charles Clerke for Hillary and Tensing....

Old 01-28-2005, 02:57 PM   #501
Neithan
Wight

Neithan has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I guess it may because I had a certain type of British upbringing but I feel it is as vulgar as bragging about how rich you are..... and by quantifying it in such precise terms it does make it seem very competitive.
Well I am a hyper-competitive person by nature, and I see nothing wrong with taking pride in your accomplishments, whether it is a fortune you have earned or the rep points for your good posting. I think competition can be a good thing, it encourages better posts. However, I see your point. You don't come here to compete with your fellow downers and don't want it to turn into that kind of environment (completely understandable).
Quote:
Which leads me to wonder whether it's a common occurrence for people to accidentally click on "disapprove" instead of "approve" (or viece versa).
I havn't had that happen to me but I always double check when I give posts so that I don't do it to someone else. Also I always sign my posts so that if I do do it then the person can contact me.

Yes well done Fordim.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:17 PM   #502
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Maybe should substitute James cook and Charles Clerke for Hillary and Tensing....
I presume you don't mean our beloved *cough* Home Secretary? I'm not sure that would be a compliment...

Well, I was thinking more in terms of Max and Paddy off on their road trip to Valinor in a camper van. And that is a compliment!

Where to after this though...?
Old 01-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #503
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neithan
Well I am a hyper-competitive person by nature, and I see nothing wrong with taking pride in your accomplishments, whether it is a fortune you have earned or the rep points for your good posting. I think competition can be a good thing, it encourages better posts. However, I see your point. You don't come here to compete with your fellow downers and don't want it to turn into that kind of environment (completely understandable).

I am not saying it is wrong to acheive - you just don't have to ram things down people's throats .... like the Harry Enfield character who spends his life saying "I can't help noticing that I am considerably richer than you...". He may be rich but he is a LOMBARD and everyone hates him........

Old 01-28-2005, 11:48 PM   #504
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

I think a congrats are in order for Fordhim, but beware Mr. Hedgethistle, any wrong immoral slip up could get you knocked off the straight road.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:34 AM   #505
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
I think a congrats are in order for Fordhim, but beware Mr. Hedgethistle, any wrong immoral slip up could get you knocked off the straight road.
And then he would end up back in North America....

Old 01-30-2005, 05:04 AM   #506
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Don't forget to ask for directions, Fordim! No chance risking you being lost!
Old 01-30-2005, 11:46 AM   #507
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
I presume you don't mean our beloved *cough* Home Secretary? I'm not sure that would be a compliment...

Well, I was thinking more in terms of Max and Paddy off on their road trip to Valinor in a camper van. And that is a compliment!

Where to after this though...?

No because that would be Charles Clarke who is definitely not a hero of mine whereas Charles Clerke is... despite the fact that I find most sailors to be the most boring people in the universe ( a little unfortunate given my location )

Old 01-30-2005, 01:18 PM   #508
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
No because that would be Charles Clarke who is definitely not a hero of mine whereas Charles Clerke is... despite the fact that I find most sailors to be the most boring people in the universe ( a little unfortunate given my location )
Thank goodness for that! All is right with the world again... But I shall resist making any comments about sailors, this being family friendly and all that.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:27 PM   #509
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

They have a certain reputation.....

I mean the yottie type rather than members of the senior service ...... although I did spend 3 years in Portsmouth..... in Freshers week we were officially warned off .... apparently for their safety .... but this is very off topic....

Last edited by Mithalwen; 01-30-2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:01 AM   #510
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
In the interests of full disclosure, not to mention common courtesy, I should point out that it was the Saucepan Man himself who set me off on the Straight Road by repping a relatively fluffy post that he found amusing.

Poetically perfect and entirely suitable to the Downs: I made Saucie laugh, and he sent me to the Blessed Realm!

Has it been determined that 11 shinies is the end-point? Have I nothing left to strive for?
Old 01-31-2005, 11:24 AM   #511
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Maybe this is a tactical and machiavellian move on the part of the Pan-man.... sending someone out to blaze a trail into uncharted territory...

Old 01-31-2005, 12:42 PM   #512
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots <-- Feet still firmly on the (rounded) ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim
In the interests of full disclosure, not to mention common courtesy, I should point out that it was the Saucepan Man himself who set me off on the Straight Road by repping a relatively fluffy post that he found amusing.
Darn. If only I'd kno ... er ... you are of course most welcome, Professor, and best wishes for your forthcoming intrepid voyage. I hear that Captain Cirkdan and his motley crew are the best in the business for boldly taking you where no Wight has gone before ...

Quote:
Maybe this is a tactical and machiavellian move on the part of the Pan-man.... sending someone out to blaze a trail into uncharted territory...
As if such a devious thought would enter my mind. I am but a Saucepan Man of little brain. Mind you, being detained at Elrond's Council (and deservedly so), I am fully expecting davem to overtake me any minute. If Fordim don't find the pitfalls on the Straight road, he's sure to.

By the way, I'm glad that misunderstanding over Charles Clarke/Clerke was cleared up. I would be most upset to be associated with any current politician of any description.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:14 PM   #513
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
As if such a devious thought would enter my mind. I am but a Saucepan Man of little brain. Mind you, being detained at Elrond's Council (and deservedly so), I am fully expecting davem to overtake me any minute. If Fordim don't find the pitfalls on the Straight road, he's sure to.

By the way, I'm glad that misunderstanding over Charles Clarke/Clerke was cleared up. I would be most upset to be associated with any current politician of any description.
But Saucepan man you have admitted to being a lawyer....

To be compared with Clerke is an honour - I was rereading some of my research on him this morning - he was a man of great wit and humour combined with "an open and generous disposition", who nevertheless endeavoured to do his duty even at the eventual expense of his own life. So more or less the opposite of just about any politician I can think of....

Old 01-31-2005, 03:09 PM   #514
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
To be compared with Clerke is an honour - I was rereading some of my research on him this morning - he was a man of great wit and humour combined with "an open and generous disposition", who nevertheless endeavoured to do his duty even at the eventual expense of his own life.
*puts on official head* But this also describes Clarke, don't you know?

Yes, I do have an 'official head', much in the manner of Worzel Gummidge...
Old 02-01-2005, 12:17 PM   #515
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
*puts on official head* But this also describes Clarke, don't you know?

Yes, I do have an 'official head', much in the manner of Worzel Gummidge...

*chokes* I think not ... I would quote cummings but it might not pass the censor...

Old 02-01-2005, 05:52 PM   #516
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
I've only gotten one negative rep. I don't know who it's from though. I have four positive ones though.
L8er

Last edited by Assasin; 02-04-2005 at 01:26 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:04 PM   #517
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

I've discovered the awesomeness of someone repping an "old" post. See, usually I can guess accurately which posts of mine will receive reppings, and so if I feel like an ego boost, I'll go post an incredibly smart or funny sounding (haha) something, and check back in awhile. But I got repped for a post I'd written a few months ago. I was just like because it was such a welcome surprise to know that I'm not the only one who likes old threads. It feels some days that if a thread leaves page one it's officially dead.

Fea
Old 02-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #518
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have recently returned to the Barrow Downs after a prolonged absence and I find I have a question about Reputations.
I think that I understand the system (after reading this thread) but I would like to know if it is deemed 'correct etiquette' to thank those who have kindly awarded me points? I should hate to be seen as ungrateful, yet a thread entirely devoted to 'Thank-you' speeches seems inappropriate.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:29 PM   #519
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

I've had the same problem, Eruanna! I've always felt like I should... I don't know... PM anyone who is nice enough to positively comment on my stuff and say thanks. But then I noticed that nobody else does it (at least not to me), so I figured I'd appreciate each comment and hope that was good enough.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #520
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I think that the best way to acknowledge a rep is to make a mental note to return the favor at some point later, assuming that it's merited, of course.
Closed Thread