The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2002, 08:42 PM   #1
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Helkasir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting I don't quite understand...

simply put; what are you guys doing? Are you just putting everything together like the histories without CT's notes? Recreating the Sil in elivish? What?
Old 10-11-2002, 08:52 AM   #2
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The **Intro to the Forum/Project** thread should answer alot of questions but perhaps this most basic question has indeed been overlooked.

In brief we are attempting to take all of the disparate writings in HoME and UT and revise the Silmarillion by including whatever sections [ wanderings of Hurin, OF tuor and his coming to Gondolin, things lioke that] that could be included, so that our version " Translatins from the Elvish" will contain all of the Narrative material from the first age. We may do the sdame for the 2nd and 3rd ages as well].

See Unofficial Outline and the second post in the FAQ thread.

As for translating it all into Elvish while a beautiful ida it is currently impossible w/ he limited vocabularly Elvish provides.

Hope that Helps.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 12:49 PM   #3
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Helkasir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

it does.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:41 PM   #4
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

I will treat this as a public informational thread for the majority of people who just want to know what is basically going on here, but are too lazy to read the Intro Thread. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I wanted to ask a question. Will there be a specific section in the revised book(s) to explain why certain things were done in an editing sense? Or will you deal with things piecemeal like CRT did in UT by adding numbers to the text and explaining things on later pages at the end of the section? I always found that to be extremely annoying as I was really into the story, but then I would see the little number and have to flip through the pages to read its purpose.

I guess this is turning into a suggestion. I think you should include the reasons for how you edited things all in one section. Tell me what you think.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:08 AM   #5
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I guess this is turning into a suggestion. I think you should include the reasons for how you edited things all in one section.

I have given a bit of thought to this but as it is so far down the agenda I have not bothererd to put my personal musings up on the board.

So if it were all up to me [ and it is not] I would def present the texts as CRT did the Silm but save any critical commentary on our decisions for the very end or perhaps give a URL where someone can read these very threads or a synopsis of them.

Also we will essntially on our way to creating a 'reder version' cerate a critical version. Much of this actually exists already as of this day and is actually what we are working on. This will most likely be made available to those outside of the team once work on and with the drafts is complete.
Please understand that I am only giving my wishes and spin on things, it all may work out differently.
In terms of the material which may or may not ever be sent to CRT [ please understand we are dealing w/ multiple layers of hypothesis here and I answer only because it is fun to dream sometimes] it would of course make sense to document all of our decisions and debates rather thoroughly.

I would myself like to see Translations from the Elvish as a reader oriented editon like the the 77/01 Silm.
HoME will always exist for the scholars and purists. This is for [ in my mind ] the lover of the tales who would like to be able totake the widest and deepest look at middle-earth w/out confronting the myriad of conflicting versions. I would like to see it presented as internal history as Antoine might say as opposed to focus on the changes as does HoME. I am not in any sense knocking HoME. Obviously we could not imagine this project w/out it and UT.

While we are on the subject [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] I will add a couple of related musings.

There are a variety of ways this project could go in some of the details and the very idea that we might try and create a version that would increase our chance of passing muster w/ CRT could very well change numerous aspects of how we relate to the decisions we face.

The Ruin of Doriath revision [or not] being a perfect [and probably the most critical] example.

If I were putting what I think would be CRT's consideration first [ and thus what would have a slightly higher chance of being published] I would try and re-edit according to 'Tale of Years' in WotJ p.353.

If I were going for the best version of the RoD possible considering the utter paucity and conflicting nature of primary materials I would simple keep CRT's version from the Silm and add to it such aspects from the Wanderings of Hurin and elsewhere as could be slotted in well.

We may if we get there, do both! But only one could make it in obviously.

By it's very nature there are a number of legitimate ways all of this could go. It will all depend on our principles and how well we stick to them.

Please keep in mind if you ask Aiwendil [or any of the longer standing members] these questions you could very well get radically different answers.

Right now our current goal is to create a valid Fall of Gondolin as a test peice.
We are testing our ability to do this in a group fashion as much as for [imo] what the resulting text will be.

In all honesty other than hyperdetailed and esoteric work on Elvish or editing the remaining papers of JRRT for Vinyar Tengwar [ elvish.org ] there is no more fascinating and worthy project out there having to do w/ the legendarium. And it is a real honor and privilige to be able to do so w/ others who truly love the material and are doing it w/ no profit motive. Because we have no publishing deadlines or bean-counters we can do as truly seems right regardless of size or paper costs and such.

Thanks for the question Elendur.

[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]

[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote