The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-28-2004, 02:38 AM   #1
metropolis_part_one
Pile O'Bones

metropolis_part_one has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Galadriel's Tempting

Galadriel looks at each member of the Fellowship in turn and afterwards it is revealed that she offered or feigned to offer each of them something that they greatly desired, and all they had to do was turn aside from the quest. Sam says what it was he was offered (to return to the Shire), but the others seem too embarassed to say what they were offered. What on earth did she offer them? If it was, as Sam, to return to their home, or to be granted great power, or to receive a powerful gift, then why on earth would they be embarassed to say so?
But heard the roaring of the sea
metropolis_part_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 04:47 AM   #2
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hello metropolis_part_one!

I always thought Sam as 'the extraordinary one when talking about honousty. He says he felt naked and didn't like that, and that he was offered a nice hole in the Shire with a bit of garden of his own. He says this in a way as if he was tempted, but I guess that Sam devotion to Frodo and his honousty was greatest and therefor he dared speak his mind.
The others all fared alike, but I guess they were too ashamed of themselves for being tempted and therefor didn't speak aloud in front of the Fellowship.

Of Frodo and Boromir... I always assumed that it was about the Ring. Frodo a possibility to get rid of it, and Boromir a possibility to gain it for himself and Minas Tirith. But maybe I am wrong.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:16 PM   #3
Ashton
Animated Skeleton

Ashton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree with you. I think that is a perfectly liable explanation.
What I really would like to know is what she offered to Aragorn. He seems to have everything that he could possibly want. What would she be able to offer him that is tempting enough to make him leave his part of the quest? Of course I think he refused as soon as she offered it to him, because he could look her straight in the Eye, whereas the others could not. (Except Legolas).
Old 01-28-2004, 07:36 PM   #4
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

She probably offered him the Ring as well. Having the Ring would make it very easy for him to conquer Sauron. The Ring also corrupted the hearts of men and even though Aragorn is a great guy, he's still only human.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 09:48 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I'm betting that she may have offered Aragorn a quiet life, apart from his troubles and cares against Sauron, and his striving for the throne. Maybe that idea is influenced more by the movie, with the plotline about Aragorn not wanting the kingship...

Since the other hobbits Merry and Pippin weren't exactly sure what they were in it for, it's hard to say what they were offered. Boromir's is pretty obvious...to be a great lord of his city. Legolas? I don't know, a new bow? Shield-skating lessons? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Gimli? Probably mounds of gold.

I think the purpose of asking the question to each was to make them question themselves, and learn how deep their devotion was to the Quest - how much would make them swerve.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 10:09 PM   #6
camomile
Pile O'Bones

camomile has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to camomile
Sting

I am more intrested in what she offerd gimly. what could an elvin lady possibly offer a dwarf?
I belive it was a huge 1980's style wig made entirely of her own hair.......YEH!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2004, 11:22 AM   #7
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As for Aragorn: I think it has to do with his kingship and Arwen. She couldn't offer him Arwen Undomiel ofcourse, it would be too bold or rash, not Elvish in my eyes. But she could tempt him with the price Elrond had set, the sceptre and the crown. I think she offered him these two things, and therefor indirectly... Arwen.
Gimli: what would a dwarf want more than Moria recaptured?

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 07:38 PM   #8
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

It almost seems like she is asking them if they took the ring what would they use it for. I am really not sure what would make Legolas want to turn away from the quest. Maybe she offered him the throne of Mirkwood but he loved his father too much to take it. Too many mysteries surrounding this elf.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:39 AM   #9
paavo
Shade of Carn Dûm

paavo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to paavo
Sting

I agree with lathspell that Arwen was probably in Aragorn's mind. But I think that Galadriel might have offered him a place in the ships to take him to the undying lands with Arwen, so that they could be together and Arwen would not have to give up his immortality.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:52 PM   #10
luthien-elvenprincess
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: what are you doing here? did you come here to eat my popcorn?
luthien-elvenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

In the case of Aragorn, I agree with Paavo and Lathspell, that Arwen was the temptation for Aragorn.
Paavo stated that if Galadriel offered Aragorn a spot on the ships to the Undying Lands, he could be with Arwen forever.
In ME, Aragorn could not marry Arwen until he became King Eleassar, due to Elrond's restriction. However, if he were indeed offered a place on the ship, he could bypass that restriction. But, he would then be renouncing his kingship along with his rights and responsibilities as Isildur's Heir, and the fate of ME would then be entirely hopeless.
If this were indeed the offering of Galadriel, Aragorn, by rejecting it, would have shown his true nobility and total unselfishness.
In the movies, it was made to seem as if Aragorn took up his kingship in order to save Arwen (her destiny was connected to the fate of the One Ring), but Tolkien gave Aragorn much noblier motives.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:26 PM   #11
symestreem
Face in the Water

symestreem has just left Hobbiton.
Perhaps she offered Legolas the chance to see his father's kingdom become renowned and famous, instead of a backwater forest. Think about it; Legolas is a Sindarin elf. Perhaps there is jealousy towards the High-elves towards journeying to Aman; perhaps Galadriel offered Legolas the chance to see the Sindar become "glorified" (for lack of a better word) like the Noldor. Maybe what he saw in Rivendell and Lothlorien added to this desire. Remember, Legolas was (I think) born much after the departure of the Calaquendi from Beleriand and Middle-earth, so he might feel bitterness about never being given the chance to choose. It's a long shot, I know.

Or maybe there was this horse...
symestreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 03:22 PM   #12
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

An interesting guess symestreem, about Lego. Or maybe it was the Sea or Valinor and he was able to resist because he hadn't seen it yet.

Boromir: seems a bit obvious to me: The Ring to defend Minas Tirith. Or, if I'm wrong, whatever it was, Boromir got really touchy about Galadriel knowing he wanted it.

Frodo: peace, the Shire, healing

Merry: mushrooms! pipeweed! ale! to be big and important? I have no idea. Maybe this is stereotyping him....

Pip: same as Merry

Gimli: I agree with lathspell, something to do with reclaiming Moria and all the ancient dwarven splendour, repaying old 'debts'.

Aragorn: yeah, something to do with Arwen.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote