The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2004, 03:30 PM   #1
symestreem
Face in the Water

symestreem has just left Hobbiton.
Giving Strength

The name "Ecthelion" apparently has no translation. However, its two elements, 'ec' and 'thelion', are very close to 'ech' and 'thalion', Sindarin elements meaning 'to make' and 'strong'. Since the first Ecthelion was an elf-lord of Gondolin and made the city strong, so to speak, is this a possible translation of his name?
symestreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 03:57 PM   #2
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Seems good to me. I don't persoanlly think he was named that in recognition of his deeds for the city (though you never know, Elven mothers name with foresight, and Elves can choose their own descriptive names too) but because of his strength and maybe character too (helping others with it etc). But the translation seems sound.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:34 PM   #3
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
In "Of Maeglin" in HoMe XI, p.318, we learn that the archaic form was "Aegthelion". The root is STEL-, "remain firm", which gives "estel" (the prefixed form), "hope" and S. "thel", "intend, mean, purpose, resolve, will", Q. "thelma", "a fixed idea, will". It's hard to tell (for me at least) whether "Aegthelion" is from the prefixed or unprefixed form. I wonder also whether "-ion" is to be taken as "son" or just a masculine suffix. It might mean "Son of hope" or "Son of fixed resolve".
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:05 PM   #4
symestreem
Face in the Water

Hmm... now we have to get into the discussion of whether archaic forms of a name are applicable. Not another canon argument!
Seriously though, I guess the real question is whether the name evolved from 'Aegthelion' to 'Ecthelion' in Middle-earth, or in Tolkien's writing. What did Tolkien intend for the name to be? And should we apply the evolution of a name outside Middle-earth to its evolution inside it?
Old 05-10-2004, 05:13 PM   #5
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sorry I didn't make it clear - "Aegthelion" is the archaic form intra-Legendarium. The whole etymology I just summarized comes from "Of Maeglin" which is c. 1970.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 06:39 PM   #6
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

In HoME V, in the Etymologies, it gives certain referance to Ecthelion: under the roots for spear and point. It seems, then, to mean "point (of spear)". Beyond that, you could take the '-ion' to be simply a male name suffix, or to mean 'son of'.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 04:50 AM   #7
symestreem
Face in the Water

If 'Aegthelion' is the archaic form, then is 'fell strength' is another possible translation?
Old 05-11-2004, 07:12 PM   #8
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
I don't think Ecthelion's name would be Sindarin. Since he was an elf of Gondolin, his name was probably Noldorin.
Earendil's name was said to be of a speech unique to the Gondolhrim, (I think it is mentioned in the fall of Gondolin), perhaps the name Ecthelion was also of that language.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote