The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-12-2002, 11:04 AM   #1
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Sting Were there any "evil" women?

Maybe its just me and I have over looked some characters (like I usually do), but were there any "evil" or "bad" women in the books?
I know that there was Shelob, but she was a gigantic spider, then I guess there was Lobelia Sackville Baggins who I guess you could call "bad" or just plain mean and nasty. But besides those two, was there anyone else?
Old 03-12-2002, 11:28 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Interesting point, Daisy - there is one evil woman who is just mentioned in LotR and briefly explained in the Unfinished Tales: Queen Beruthiel. Her cats, which spied for her, were legendary.
Other than that, I don't recall reading of any bad girls - even Lobelia turned good at the end of the story! Apparently Tolkien had quite a high opinion of women!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 03:18 PM   #3
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Tar Ancalime in UT isn't exactly Snow White either. She's not quite evil, though; more egocentric.
Old 03-12-2002, 03:34 PM   #4
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

My friends and I were discussing this - there are barely any women at all - as for evil ones...shelob is bad... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 04:47 PM   #5
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

What can I say? Tolkien certainly seemed to have women on a pretty high pedestal-at least in the realm of literature.
Well, Galadriel certainly had the potential to be evil.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:58 PM   #6
Mhoram
Dead and Loving It

Mhoram has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In one of the many accounts of Tuor and his coming to Gondolin he mentions the evil easterling women he had known when he was held captive early in life.
Mhoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 06:07 PM   #7
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

You said Galadriel had the POTENTIAL for evil...well, I am sure that ALL the women did, as all of us do! (just wanted to say that)
Old 03-12-2002, 08:40 PM   #8
Daegwenn
Haunting Spirit

Daegwenn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thuringwethil wasn't your average lady...in fact, she was a vampire and Maia who was Sauron's messenger because she was able to change shapes into a bat with iron claws.

~~Daegwenn
A highwayman comes riding—
Riding—Riding—
A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard.
And he taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred.
He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
But the landlord’s black-eyed daughter,
Bess, the landlord’s daughter,
Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair"
Highwayman
Alfred Noyes
Daegwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:47 PM   #9
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

What about Ungoliant (I think I spelt it right) - the female in spider form in the Silmarillion, she was pretty evil if you ask me!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 10:46 PM   #10
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Darn, got here too late. The only ones I could think of were Tar-Ancalime and Queen Beruthiel (at least among the humans or near-humans). And they aren't even in LOTR proper, like Shelob (and Lobelia, though Lobelia is so far removed from Shelob that I hesitate to even mention them together). Though when you get right down to it, proportionally that would be about right; most of the venues of LOTR are extremely masculine - in a society like that, there just aren't going to be a lot of women battling at Helm's Deep or hanging out in the Prancing Pony. They just aren't in the same venues as the main characters and so don't have any opportunities to be evil, except for Galadriel. Maybe Tolkien did have women on a pedestal, or maybe there just wasn't room for an evil woman in the story - can you imagine where to fit one in? Somehow making an evil female consort for Saruman or Sauron doesn't seem quite right. What would she *do* anyway?
Old 03-12-2002, 11:03 PM   #11
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

Where is it written that Thuringwethil was a Maia?
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 04:52 PM   #12
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

Quote:
You said Galadriel had the POTENTIAL for evil...well, I am sure that ALL the women did, as all of us do! (just wanted to say that)
Yes, but Galadriel was in the position to wreak way more havoc than your average femme fatale.
Old 03-14-2002, 06:47 PM   #13
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Quote:
She's not quite evil, though; more egocentric.
But isn't that sort of the heart of it? Desiring greater glory for yourself and such like? That certainly seems to be where Melkor made his mistake, trying to enlarge his role and grandure.

Just a random thought... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2002, 06:58 PM   #14
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wouldn't equate egocentricity with evil. Just misplaced priorities. However, everyone really tends to put themselves first, because most beings wish to do what will benefit them the most. If helping others benefits more than destroying others, then the being is considered "good". OTOH, if destroying others benefits more than helpinng, then the being is considered "evil".

Man, I really am waxing philosophical tonight, aren't I? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]